Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2008   #21
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Has Schaub been worth his pay?

Can someone bring back that SWT thread, with him saying he had inside source that said Carr will be our starting QB until he retired? With that said, yes it was worth the trade. That trade broke the evil spell Carr had on McNair.

But if you put that aside, then I'll say wait until the end of the season to decide that.

oh btw, if the question ask if he's worth the pay, then yea. If I'm correct he doesn't get paid the big bucks until next season. But if you meant the two 2nd, well then I would've perfered taking Brady QUinn or Kevin Kolb in the draft and keep those two 2nd.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanrep View Post
Always be aware of this fact: Shaub is a woman. I think he is overpaid, but he DOES play well for a woman.
I suppose you have a picture of him in a dress?

That's right, photoshoppers, I'm leaving up to you for the evidence! LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #23
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Can someone bring back that SWT thread, with him saying he had inside source that said Carr will be our starting QB until he retired? With that said, yes it was worth the trade. That trade broke the evil spell Carr had on McNair.

But if you put that aside, then I'll say wait until the end of the season to decide that.

oh btw, if the question ask if he's worth the pay, then yea. If I'm correct he doesn't get paid the big bucks until next season. But if you meant the two 2nd, well then I would've perfered taking Brady QUinn or Kevin Kolb in the draft and keep those two 2nd.
he gets like 20 million next year in bonuses and salary because of the way they structured the deal and unless he totally turns it around, that option will not be picked up. i think Schaub would then have to rework a more team-friendly new deal or enter Free Agency.

my guess is that he will do well enough to earn himself a new team-friendly lesser contract but not for the Texans to continue with his current contract to be brought into its 3rd year (where all the money was). He'll probably be a Texan but it won't be under his current deal unless he just gets really hot and has some more leverage and suitors...me thinks that aint happenin.
Old 10-07-2008   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
he gets like 20 million next year in bonuses and salary because of the way they structured the deal and unless he totally turns it around, that option will not be picked up. i think Schaub would then have to rework a more team-friendly new deal or enter Free Agency.

my guess is that he will do well enough to earn himself a new team-friendly lesser contract but not for the Texans to continue with his current contract to be brought into its 3rd year (where all the money was). He'll probably be a Texan but it won't be under his current deal unless he just gets really hot and has some more leverage and suitors...me thinks that aint happenin.
Me neither and

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

No he hasnt. IMO you we should of started out with a good veteran and drafted a prospect later to learn under that vet. I would really like to see this team with a proven qaulity vet QB at the reigns.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
No he hasnt. IMO you we should of started out with a good veteran and drafted a prospect later to learn under that vet. I would really like to see this team with a proven qaulity vet QB at the reigns.
We should've started out with a 7th round rookie, because we were going to ruin him anyway. 'Course that kind of "who cares" attitude would've caused Casserly to select Tom Brady, but...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #27
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. No doubt Smith will be trying to re-work that contract in the off-season. This would also be a good time to get a young QB to groom. Have Schaub start for two more years, then integrate Kubes apprentice into the offense. If Schaub plays up to his trade value in those two years, then we could have a Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers situation, which would be amazing.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2008   #28
petedy
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 petedy seems to be losing the respect of his peers

I hope Schaub doesn't take any helicopter lessons from Sage but I have noticed that Matt knows how to do the fetal position well.
petedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
No. He hasn't.

I wish we could merge Sage and Schaub into one QB, to be honest.

I think Schaub is going to get hurt, again, at some point.
My avatar and signature explains how I feel about our QBs.
I believe that scenario is a likely. As I certainly understand I am in the minority, I feel that Sage still maintains the respect of the offense, and injects a strong element of excitement to the offense that Schaub doesn't. I felt that his "questionable" decisions at the end of the game were partly due to his enthusiasm to make the team look better and demonstrate his desire to gain a chance at the starting position. Things didn't unfortunately end that way. My guess is when Sage does get another chance at being at the helm, he will have learned from this episode and, at the same time, will not have to carry the burden of proving to be "superhuman." And he will get another opportunity.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #30
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:

I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to remember that huge contract MCNair gave Carr as incentive. I believe it just might be possible the team picks up that option because he's a nice guy.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

No one is worth the kind of money that NFL quarterbacks get paid.

But as to the spirit of your question, he hasn't earned his money yet. However, he's only had 12 starts. How many starts should a team give a high-dollar QB before declaring him a bust?
Old 10-08-2008   #32
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Ummmm No
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #33
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I believe that scenario is a likely. As I certainly understand I am in the minority, I feel that Sage still maintains the respect of the offense, and injects a strong element of excitement to the offense that Schaub doesn't. I felt that his "questionable" decisions at the end of the game were partly due to his enthusiasm to make the team look better and demonstrate his desire to gain a chance at the starting position. Things didn't unfortunately end that way. My guess is when Sage does get another chance at being at the helm, he will have learned from this episode and, at the same time, will not have to carry the burden of proving to be "superhuman." And he will get another opportunity.

I hope you are right Cloak because Sage got the Texans to the best lead they have ever had over the Colts. The first 3 and 1/2 quarters were the best football the Texans played all year. I just don't think Sage deserves to be dumped on so hard. People forget that Sage is one of the main reasons the Texans made it to 8-8 last season.

I like Schaub and I hope he turns out to be worth those 2 2nd round picks. But up until now he hasn't. The rest is up to him. Hopefully seeing Sage light it up against the Colts and also how the Texan players seemed to be playing with more fire with him in there will cause Schaub to play at a new level. One that wins us games and inspires the players around him.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #34
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
he gets like 20 million next year in bonuses and salary because of the way they structured the deal and unless he totally turns it around, that option will not be picked up. .
Don't be silly, Pal. This is the Texans, Bob McNair, the Loyalty Club. Remember 5 years of David Carr.

Schaub is NOT a woman (as reported in some previous msg in this thread). THat is an injustice to women. Schaub is a delicate flower with skills. He will be QBfor this team for the next three years. By that time he will be replaced with a draft choice.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #35
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point...not really. He still has the rest of this season to prove he was worth the move. Considering all other options I'm not 100% sure there was a better option that at the time, league wide, that had better upside then Matt.

I'm curious though, and I might die in a firestorm for saying this, but I wonder would we have made that trade for Matt had anyone seriously thought Miami would take Ginn instead of Brady Quinn.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #36
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Probably not, but that goes for any given entertainer. But that's capitalism. Society places a high value on being entertained these days.
Where else is the money going to go?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #37
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

I agree!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #38
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
In the eyes of most fans on this board, until about 5 minutes left in the game against the colts SAGE was that QB.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #39
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub hasn't been worth money spent on a Jersey yet. He's not proven himself to be any better than a good backup QB. He's had good and bad games and if I'm comparing him to Carr, he's an upgrade, but he's not what he was hyped to be coming into Houston. Compare QB ratings between Schaub and Rosenfels. Look it up(Career and as a Texan). Who's the backup and who's the starter? If Schaub WAS worth the money spent, there wouldn't be a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
However, he's only had 12 starts. How many starts should a team give a high-dollar QB before declaring him a bust?

My crystal ball says 12 starts out of 20 starting opportuinities is a glimpse into the future. A- he's too lanky to withstand the physical punishment he's going to see in a season. B- I want to question his heart. What leader sits out the game because his tummy hurts? He wouldn't have been the first professional athlete to pop a couple of Midol and play. And before anyone cries foul at this notion, I actually don't believe it's his heart. I'm guessing that even if he wanted to play, the Texans likely told him he's going to sit. But back to the top of my reply... That's not a tough decision when your having to choose which backup to start.
Old 10-08-2008   #40
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I hope you are right Cloak because Sage got the Texans to the best lead they have ever had over the Colts. The first 3 and 1/2 quarters were the best football the Texans played all year. I just don't think Sage deserves to be dumped on so hard. People forget that Sage is one of the main reasons the Texans made it to 8-8 last season.

I like Schaub and I hope he turns out to be worth those 2 2nd round picks. But up until now he hasn't. The rest is up to him. Hopefully seeing Sage light it up against the Colts and also how the Texan players seemed to be playing with more fire with him in there will cause Schaub to play at a new level. One that wins us games and inspires the players around him.
totally agree, most people don't give Sage enough credit.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read