Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-07-2008   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2006 Draft redo - ESPN Poll

Just thought this poll on ESPN was interesting. I don't put to much into it because people are probably voting for their personal team, so needs are probably all different. Interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
If the 2006 NFL Draft were held today, who would you choose as the top pick?

Jay Cutler 43%
Reggie Bush 31%
Mario Williams 14%
Maurice Jones-Drew 9%
Vince Young 3%
You can view the map. Of importance 22% in Texas picked Mario, and 58% in Tennessee chose Jay Cutler.

polls on the bottom right
http://espn.go.com/
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2006 Draft redo - ESPN Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Just thought this poll on ESPN was interesting. I don't put to much into it because people are probably voting for their personal team, so needs are probably all different. Interesting nonetheless.

You can view the map. Of importance 22% in Texas picked Mario, and 58% in Tennessee chose Jay Cutler.

polls on the bottom right
http://espn.go.com/
Wow. Cuttler I can see, but still Reggie....? A slot/kick returner/overrated RB who cant run between the tackles...? Ill pass.
Old 10-07-2008   #3
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Wow. Cuttler I can see, but still Reggie....? A slot/kick returner/overrated RB who cant run between the tackles...? Ill pass.
Probably all cause of last night. Tony Kornnerd was all over Reggie like he is on Brett.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #4
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 40940 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

It's still hype. I think most coaches when looking for a back would rather take MJD out of the 06 class. Most people probably don't pay attention to Reggies real stats or performance, they just figure that he is in a lot of commericals so he must be good, just like Peyton Manning.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #5
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
It's still hype. I think most coaches when looking for a back would rather take MJD out of the 06 class. Most people probably don't pay attention to Reggies real stats or performance, they just figure that he is in a lot of commericals so he must be good, just like Peyton Manning.
so he's not good?

Absurd.

Personally I'd have them ranked as follows:

Mario
Cutler
Reggie
MJD
VY
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking back I would have:

1 Mario Williams
2 Trade down
3 Trade down even if we didn't get full value
Old 10-07-2008   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post

Mario
Cutler
Reggie
MJD
VY
I agree with your order, except hindsight being 20/20 and all, I would not have VY on my own list, and, I would have DeMeco Ryans either third or fourth (I'm big on defense that way).
Old 10-07-2008   #8
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree with your order, except hindsight being 20/20 and all, I would not have VY on my own list, and, I would have DeMeco Ryans either third or fourth (I'm big on defense that way).
nor would I - I was just going by the list that was given
Old 10-07-2008   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie should be first. Decoys like that only come around once a decade.

Seriously though, depending on whether you need offense or defense Cutler and Williams are the obvious top choices. No one else on the list comes close
Old 10-07-2008   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
so he's not good?

Absurd.

Mario
Cutler
Reggie
MJD
VY
Honestly, using the previous two years as a gauge I'd have MJD above Bush.

Mario
Cutler
MJD
Bush

*puts homer glasses on*

Mario
D-Ryans
OD
The Caveman
DA

Cutler
Old 10-07-2008   #11
RazorOye
Ayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Honestly, using the previous two years as a gauge I'd have MJD above Bush.

Mario
Cutler
MJD
Bush
and I can see that argument too - it's by no means a no-brainer with me putting Bush ahead of MJD. I took the first 5 games this year into consideration and I like Bush better - but I'd not object to someone placing MJD ahead of Bush
Old 10-07-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
and I can see that argument too - it's by no means a no-brainer with me putting Bush ahead of MJD. I took the first 5 games this year into consideration and I like Bush better - but I'd not object to someone placing MJD ahead of Bush
That's exactly my point/way of thinking. It depends on the team and the team's style/preference of player. For instance, Reggie would be a marginal upgrade if we added him to our team. Maurice Jones-Drew I think would make a HUGE difference. But for other teams, having a player like Reggie would be more beneficial.

I'm still not a big fan of choosing a RB so early in the draft (unless his name rhymes with Badrian Jeterson) b/c the drop off in RB talent is so minimal, especially taking into account they will probably be in the league for half the time.

Not that you can predict anyone's career, but O-linemen and D-linemen generally play in the league far longer on average than other positions. so if you have some really good players on the DL or OL, it will help your team much longer.
Old 10-07-2008   #13
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario (we've gotta say that one on here...)
MJD
Cutler
Bush
DeAngelo Williams (for saving my FF last year)
Ryan Plackemeier (punter from Wake for Seattle, cut this year)
Vince Young.

End draft.
mattieuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #14
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

The people of football nation is dumber then I thought....
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #15
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow at least Mario should be closer!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Unbiased list...

Cutler (sorry, but a franchise QB is the most valuable thing in all of sports)
Mario
MJD
Don't care
Don't care

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #17
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
For instance, Reggie would be a marginal upgrade if we added him to our team.
Call me a homer, but I don't agree at all that Bush is an upgrade over Slaton.

In addition, when you take into account the cost aspect, the advantage clearly is in Slaton's favor.
Old 10-08-2008   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

why can't we just say 2006 was a great draft class & leave it at that? many teams helped themselves, just wish the same talent was on the board in 2002

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Cutler. Mario would be second, then MJD. VY last. In the draft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Unbiased list...

Cutler (sorry, but a franchise QB is the most valuable thing in all of sports)
Mario
MJD
Don't care
Don't care
Agreed. Cutler is the only guy I would take ahead of Mario. And VY would be a 3rd round pick. Its almost laughable they put him on this list...

QUOTE=beerlover;1018102]why can't we just say 2006 was a great draft class & leave it at that? many teams helped themselves, just wish the same talent was on the board in 2002 [/quote]

We got so screwed on our 02 draft class. There was great talent there, to bad Casserly was GM...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read