Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008   #1
texanskan
Veteran
 
texanskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Heights, Houston TX
Section: 115 Row H
Posts: 421
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan
Default The reason the Texans lose close games

Posted this also on clutchfans

Andre Johnson
Eric Winston
Demeco Ryans

3 out of 22 starters that played on elite college programs while in college

talent is there, knowing how to win is not
__________________
Go Texans, Rockets, Dynamo, Astros, Liverpool F.C.

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Or we call coin flips wrong.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #3
DBCooper 
Outlaw
 
DBCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winter Park, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 3,885
Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

The Texans lost on Sunday because they have no confidence. No confidence in a running game. No confidence in their defense.

27-10 with under 5:00 minutes left? Run the damn ball!

Don't turn the ball over.

Don't give Peyton Manning the short field.

Punt if you have to and let your defense stop them with 80 or more yards to go.

This is basic stuff people.
__________________
What's that at the bottom of the barrel? Just the inbred children of Uranus!
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #4
texanskan
Veteran
 
texanskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Heights, Houston TX
Section: 115 Row H
Posts: 421
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Texans lost on Sunday because they have no confidence. No confidence in a running game. No confidence in their defense.

27-10 with under 5:00 minutes left? Run the damn ball!

Don't turn the ball over.

Don't give Peyton Manning the short field.

Punt if you have to and let your defense stop them with 80 or more yards to go.

This is basic stuff people.
not a reaction thread just a thought about this team in general
__________________
Go Texans, Rockets, Dynamo, Astros, Liverpool F.C.

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #5
DBCooper 
Outlaw
 
DBCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winter Park, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 3,885
Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
not a reaction thread just a thought about this team in general

I know, just adding my opinion.
__________________
What's that at the bottom of the barrel? Just the inbred children of Uranus!
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Texans lost on Sunday because they have no confidence. No confidence in a running game. No confidence in their defense.

27-10 with under 5:00 minutes left? Run the damn ball!

Don't turn the ball over.

Don't give Peyton Manning the short field.

Punt if you have to and let your defense stop them with 80 or more yards to go.

This is basic stuff people.
The Texans were averaging 4.9 ypc against the Colts on Sunday.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #7
DBCooper 
Outlaw
 
DBCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winter Park, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 3,885
Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
The Texans were averaging 4.9 ypc against the Colts on Sunday.

Really?

I would have stuck with it.
__________________
What's that at the bottom of the barrel? Just the inbred children of Uranus!
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,556
Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Really?

I would have stuck with it.
If they were averaging 2 yds. per carry and losing by 20, he probably would have.
__________________

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #9
DBCooper 
Outlaw
 
DBCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winter Park, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 3,885
Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
If they were averaging 2 yds. per carry and losing by 20, he probably would have.
lol
__________________
What's that at the bottom of the barrel? Just the inbred children of Uranus!
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #10
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem
 
Mailman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,618
Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Really?

I would have stuck with it.
They were also moving the ball successfully with the play action boot, and they'd just run the ball on first and second down for a whopping two yards.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American
 
eriadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,476
Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

What is the criteria for a close game? Losing by less than 4 points? 5?
__________________
Anyone but Schaub.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Not sure what you mean when you say 'elite' college programs. I'd hardly call Alabama an elite program when Demeco was on the team. Or maybe is it just large BCS schools that win a lot (not necesarily championship calibre though). There's plenty of other players that played for large/good programs such as Ahman Green from the championship year at Nebraska (Kris Brown too?), Fram Okam on the Texas Nat'l Champ squad, Andre Davis played in the Nat'l Championship while at Virginia Tech, Louisville and West Virginia were highly ranked while Amobi and Slaton were in school. I'm sure there are others. And if I remember correctly, Miami was pretty dissapointing with Larry Coker (from 2003 season on)

With that said, I will agree we need to get more 'winners' in here. I have nothing against small school players, but as a basis think we should be drafting guys from great programs. We need to go where we have found success before too. Demeco, he is and was productive, but didn't necessarily have the measurables of a top 10 pick. Go after the players that you know are football players, those guys that are going to get the job done as best they can. Fred Bennett/Dunta Robinson... let's look at some more South carolina CB's or DB's, if these guys play well on our defense continue scouting there. Virginia Tech/Miami offensive linemen.

I'd really like us to focus on getting solid football players from SEC, Big XII, and ACC football programs. And let's get some guys that have the winning mentality. If we have enough guys that come from a winning background, they're going to stand up together and say, "hey guys... do you think we can try and win around here? Winning is fun, and this isn't really that much fun"
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #13
DBCooper 
Outlaw
 
DBCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winter Park, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 3,885
Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
They were also moving the ball successfully with the play action boot, and they'd just run the ball on first and second down for a whopping two yards.
I get it, it's hard to second guess.

But, I would like to see a dominant running game that can pound the ball and move the chains to run out the clock. Seems like the best way to protect the lead and the ball.
__________________
What's that at the bottom of the barrel? Just the inbred children of Uranus!
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #14
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem
 
Mailman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,618
Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Texans lost on Sunday because they have no confidence. No confidence in a running game. No confidence in their defense.

27-10 with under 5:00 minutes left? Run the damn ball!

Don't turn the ball over.

Don't give Peyton Manning the short field.

Punt if you have to and let your defense stop them with 80 or more yards to go.

This is basic stuff people.
The Texans lost because their lack of confidence in themselves caused Sage Rosenfels to try to hurdle three Colts defenders. Basic stuff, guys.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw
 
DBCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winter Park, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 3,885
Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
The Texans lost because their lack of confidence in themselves caused Sage Rosenfels to try to hurl three Colts defenders. Basic stuff, guys.
Makes me want to hurl!
__________________
What's that at the bottom of the barrel? Just the inbred children of Uranus!
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #16
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I get it, it's hard to second guess.

But, I would like to see a dominant running game that can pound the ball and move the chains to run out the clock. Seems like the best way to protect the lead and the ball.
That bootleg play was one they were perfecting all week they said. It definitely worked too. Kinda hard to predict the helicopter move for a TD the other way. He saw huge daylight, got ultra competitive and went for it. Bad decision.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,556
Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
The Texans lost because their lack of confidence in themselves caused Sage Rosenfels to try to hurdle three Colts defenders. Basic stuff, guys.
So, you're going to blame all the other players because Sage cares more about getting that starting position than the team and made some boneheaded decisions on the field? You think it's Mario's fault that Sage pulled that crap? How 'bout Demeco, or Slaton? Yesterday was not a team of players problem--it was one big dufus....and maybe the HC for trusting him.
__________________

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!
 
HOU-TEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: P-land
Age: 44
Posts: 15,738
Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
Posted this also on clutchfans

Andre Johnson
Eric Winston
Demeco Ryans

3 out of 22 starters that played on elite college programs while in college

talent is there, knowing how to win is not
Am I the only one who doesn't fully understand the initial post? Eh, I'm having another f-ed up day so who knows.

The way I read it is: We can't win close games because we have 3 talented players from elite schools who don't know how to win??
__________________
Kubiak: "They’re battling their tail off." Translation: They suck.
OB: "They played hard with great effort." Translation: They suck.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #19
Hooston Texan
All Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 654
Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not sure what you mean when you say 'elite' college programs. I'd hardly call Alabama an elite program when Demeco was on the team. Or maybe is it just large BCS schools that win a lot (not necesarily championship calibre though). There's plenty of other players that played for large/good programs such as Ahman Green from the championship year at Nebraska (Kris Brown too?), Fram Okam on the Texas Nat'l Champ squad, Andre Davis played in the Nat'l Championship while at Virginia Tech, Louisville and West Virginia were highly ranked while Amobi and Slaton were in school. I'm sure there are others. And if I remember correctly, Miami was pretty dissapointing with Larry Coker (from 2003 season on)

With that said, I will agree we need to get more 'winners' in here. I have nothing against small school players, but as a basis think we should be drafting guys from great programs. We need to go where we have found success before too. Demeco, he is and was productive, but didn't necessarily have the measurables of a top 10 pick. Go after the players that you know are football players, those guys that are going to get the job done as best they can. Fred Bennett/Dunta Robinson... let's look at some more South carolina CB's or DB's, if these guys play well on our defense continue scouting there. Virginia Tech/Miami offensive linemen.

I'd really like us to focus on getting solid football players from SEC, Big XII, and ACC football programs. And let's get some guys that have the winning mentality. If we have enough guys that come from a winning background, they're going to stand up together and say, "hey guys... do you think we can try and win around here? Winning is fun, and this isn't really that much fun"
Those are very good points. To that, I would add this: during DeMeco's last three years at Alabama, the Tide posted a 20-17 record. That's not exactly a "winning" program, but (needless to say) we're all thrilled he's on our team.

But there is one additional difficulty to getting winners: throughout the franchise's brief history, the draft has been the only hope we have of getting them. The free agents who care more about winning than salary (in other words, the "winners") won't come here until we are winning.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #20
gwallaia
Moderator
 
gwallaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 7,542
Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reason the Texans lose close games

Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State.
Bret Farve played at Southern Miss.

There are many quality NFL players out there that played in non-BCS conferences and in non-DIV 1 schools.
__________________


We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger