Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2008   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Safeties

So, Barber tweaked his hammy and may not be able to go next weekend.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6043664.html

Demps might be able to go, but its still up in the air.

We'd start the game with what - Harrison, Demps (maybe), and Ferguson? Is there another safety on the roster or PS?

Also, can anyone comment on the play of our safeties (in general or as individuals) during Sunday's game? When you're watching on TV, it becomes very difficult to catch nuances like that because you only get to see so little of the field. I'm curious to see if the loss of Brown caused an improvement, decline, or no change in our safety play.
Old 10-07-2008   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safeties

Eugene Wilson got playing time against the Colts.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #3
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Eugene Wilson got playing time against the Colts.
Ah yes.

I remember seeing him in on some plays.

I guess where I'm going with this is that even without both of our starting safeties, safety play in general didn't appear any different. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
Old 10-07-2008   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

All of our safeties are SS/FS tweeners, anyway, because Richard Smith likes it that way; so, I don't really worry much which ones are going to play.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

first Dunta can't come back any too soon. I hope, that Kubiak/Smith realize Dunta can become a playmaking FS. They have worked really hard this off season to address cornerback position & even without Robinson I like what I've seen from this group as a whole. This is a complex issue exacerbated not only with Dunta Robinsons severe injury but also his contract year. So there are risks on both sides but good faith/sense will prevail. We should all know more in about three/four weeks

Until then Nick Ferguson should remain the starting FS. Demps has lost a step, serviceable until Barber (who is banged up) can beat him out I'm hoping by next training camp. Brandon Harrison plays smart but is not aggressive, also has been nicked up so his play has been soft compared to elite safeties, while he does flash potential I'm not convinced he is the long term answear? Eugene Wilson is quality depth.

By inserting Dunta @ FS the Texans add a playmaker to the secondary. In next years draft a 1st or 2nd rd. pick would be appropriate

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #6
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we know what week Dunta is coming back yet?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Do we know what week Dunta is coming back yet?
week 7

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Texans vs. Bengals

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-07-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if Dunta will be back week 7. He'll be healthy enough - but part of being on the PUP is that you're not allowed to practice with the team - so I assume he's going to have to get a lot of good practices in before he'll be activated.

But um.... maybe Dunta without practice is still better than what we have, lol.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #10
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans vs. Bengals
first game back he gets to punch ocho cinco in the face... lucky bastard.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I don't know if Dunta will be back week 7. He'll be healthy enough - but part of being on the PUP is that you're not allowed to practice with the team - so I assume he's going to have to get a lot of good practices in before he'll be activated.

But um.... maybe Dunta without practice is still better than what we have, lol.
As long as his neck will turn his head we'll be ok. LOL

Reeves would probably be one of the better CB's in the league if he'd just turn his damn head to find the ball. A majority of the time he doesn't even try to locate the ball.

Hell, maybe he's trying to freak the WR's out by giving them the evil eye or something.
Old 10-07-2008   #12
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
week 7
This is speculation on our part. As much as we'd like him to be ready to play, we don't know that he is. We should temper our expectations accordingly.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #13
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Reeves would probably be one of the better CB's in the league if he'd just turn his damn head to find the ball. A majority of the time he doesn't even try to locate the ball.

Hell, maybe he's trying to freak the WR's out by giving them the evil eye or something.
Poor instincts and poor ball skills...Also not very physical...Actually I'd describe him as timid...
Old 10-07-2008   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
first Dunta can't come back any too soon. I hope, that Kubiak/Smith realize Dunta can become a playmaking FS. They have worked really hard this off season to address cornerback position & even without Robinson I like what I've seen from this group as a whole. This is a complex issue exacerbated not only with Dunta Robinsons severe injury but also his contract year. So there are risks on both sides but good faith/sense will prevail. We should all know more in about three/four weeks

Until then Nick Ferguson should remain the starting FS. Demps has lost a step, serviceable until Barber (who is banged up) can beat him out I'm hoping by next training camp. Brandon Harrison plays smart but is not aggressive, also has been nicked up so his play has been soft compared to elite safeties, while he does flash potential I'm not convinced he is the long term answear? Eugene Wilson is quality depth.

By inserting Dunta @ FS the Texans add a playmaker to the secondary. In next years draft a 1st or 2nd rd. pick would be appropriate
Demps hasnt really lost a step, he didnt have it. He is more of a SS anyway. Best case is Wilson at FS, Demps FS, with Fergie and Harrison spelling them. I felt our saftey play was the best it has been in a while. I dont know if thats good or bad...
Old 10-07-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I've actually been really really impressed with Reeves' coverage skills. He blankets the receiver and is always doing good with coverage. But time after time the WR makes the tough catch. As you said the thing Reeves needs to improve on is locating the ball- right now he doesn't even attempt to locate it. If he could just get a hand up when the WR is looking, he'd havemore success. I really really hope this can be taught to him throughout the year because if he can learn that, he'll be great.

on to safety... gawd do I want a ball hawk. I like our CB's. If we could just get a pass rusher, a playmaking OLB, and a Safety that can cover: we would be a really really really good defense. I know we can't solve everything in one offseason but we've been working on this Def. for a while. I think we're so close to having a great defense.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I've been thinking the exact same thing. I've actually been really really impressed with Reeves' coverage skills. He blankets the receiver and is always doing good with coverage. But time after time the WR makes the tough catch. As you said the thing Reeves needs to improve on is locating the ball- right now he doesn't even attempt to locate it. If he could just get a hand up when the WR is looking, he'd havemore success. I really really hope this can be taught to him throughout the year because if he can learn that, he'll be great.

on to safety... gawd do I want a ball hawk. I like our CB's. If we could just get a pass rusher, a playmaking OLB, and a Safety that can cover: we would be a really really really good defense. I know we can't solve everything in one offseason but we've been working on this Def. for a while. I think we're so close to having a great defense.
Improved saftey play would go a long way to fixing our D. That and upgrades at OLB.
Old 10-07-2008   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Diles and Greenwood switch sides of the field or something? Greenwood is suddenly getting no tackles, and Diles, who replaced whoever we had at SAM last year, is racking them up

I think my order of preference for draft day on defense is:
1. Safety - A truly great safety is a force against the run and the pass. And to top it all off, top prospect safeties always seem to pan out, and they are usually ready in year 1. There aren't nearly as many busts at Safety in the 1st round than there are on other positions (IMO)

2. OLB - I actually really like Diles and Ryans, and think one more LB would make the trio complete.

3. DL - Best available I guess. I think our luck with the DL speaks for itself. Other than MW, I don't think we've had much success. I hope they don't use their 1st on a DL this year
Old 10-07-2008   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Did Diles and Greenwood switch sides of the field or something? Greenwood is suddenly getting no tackles, and Diles, who replaced whoever we had at SAM last year, is racking them up

1. Safety - A truly great safety is a force against the run and the pass. And to top it all off, top prospect safeties always seem to pan out, and they are usually ready in year 1. There aren't nearly as many busts at Safety in the 1st round than there are on other positions (IMO)

2. OLB - I actually really like Diles and Ryans, and think one more LB would make the trio complete.

3. DL - Best available I guess. I think our luck with the DL speaks for itself. Other than MW, I don't think we've had much success. I hope they don't use their 1st on a DL this year
I really like your thinking. I could definitely go for the safety like (Moore, Mays, etc. ) in the 1st. An SEC linebacker in the second, and a edge rusher in the 3rd!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Heck, many times, if Reeves would just jump when the receiver is ovbiously looking at a pass coming in, the ball would hit him in the back and fall to the ground. It's like he thinks his job is just to be as close to the receiver as possible when he catches it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Diles has not impressed me. Too many missed tackles and he is slow to get out to the flat.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read