Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2008   #1
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Start Sage?

I know, maybe this is the stupidest idea I've ever had, but look at Sage's overall performance for a minute. What is Sage's biggest problem?--He's a gambler. He just HAS to get that shot at starting. He will dive with the ball, stretch out, whatever it takes. He moves the ball, moves the chains, has everyone around him in sync and playing well all the time, but he takes too many freaking risks.

So here's my crazy answer (don't flame me too hard):

OK, hot shot. Now, you start. Keep fumbling and it's over and you will never be a starter again. In fact, you will probably be off this team. Throw a few "hero" stupid passes and you are out as well. Protect the freaking football and you remain a starter. This is your ONE shot, hotshot, and Matt will be glad to take his job back.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Start Sage?

NOT going to happen. Matt is the starter, period.
Old 10-06-2008   #3
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks but no thanks. You stick with Schaub if the first two weeks didn't cost him his job being sick yesterday shouldnt either.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
True, it won't happen. I've just got that "wonder/what if" thing going on.

Old 10-06-2008   #5
Polo

No...please do not start Sage....

Might further hurt his trade value....
Old 10-06-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post

True, but I'm not convinced Sage won't be starting a few more games before this season is over with.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I know, maybe this is the stupidest idea I've ever had, but look at Sage's overall performance for a minute. What is Sage's biggest problem?--He's a gambler. He just HAS to get that shot at starting. He will dive with the ball, stretch out, whatever it takes. He moves the ball, moves the chains, has everyone around him in sync and playing well all the time, but he takes too many freaking risks.

So here's my crazy answer (don't flame me too hard):

OK, hot shot. Now, you start. Keep fumbling and it's over and you will never be a starter again. In fact, you will probably be off this team. Throw a few "hero" stupid passes and you are out as well. Protect the freaking football and you remain a starter. This is your ONE shot, hotshot, and Matt will be glad to take his job back.
There is a difference between gambling and just pointless mental mistakes that QBs in pop warner football do not make.

Also Schaub had a better game against Jax then Sage did against he Colts, and Jax is by far and away the better D. Sage should only ever see the filed again if and only if Matt's right arm gets amputated.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2008   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

It could happen. If Schaub has been as ill as it sounds like, he might miss too much practice to be able to start next game. Honestly I would give Rosenfels a A- if it were not for the last 5 minutes of the game. Rosenfels gambled as should any person in his position (granted, he sure chose the wrong time to do it), but if he had succeded, most people around here would praise his play-making. I like a player who tries to make big plays, much more than your Caperish 'keep it close'-attitude, those players makes mistakes too (Favre comes to mind). I sure like players trying to make something happen as opposed to players afraid to make mistakes. To me it shows guts, and it gives me something to cheer for.
Old 10-06-2008   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
There is a difference between gambling and just pointless mental mistakes that QBs in pop warner football do not make.

Also Schaub had a better game against Jax then Sage did against he Colts, and Jax is by far and away the better D. Sage should only ever see the filed again if and only if Matt's right arm gets amputated.
I know, but I'm not convinced with Schaub's overall performance over the last year and 3 games. What I am convinced of is that Sage will always move the ball. Granted, his turnover problems ARE rediculous. I'm just struck with how good Sage could be if he only had a brain.

Old 10-06-2008   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
It could happen. If Schaub has been as ill as it sounds like, he might miss too much practice to be able to start next game. Honestly I would give Rosenfels a A- if it were not for the last 5 minutes of the game. Rosenfels gambled as should any person in his position (granted, he sure chose the wrong time to do it), but if he had succeded, most people around here would praise his play-making. I like a player who tries to make big plays, much more than your Caperish 'keep it close'-attitude, those players makes mistakes too (Favre comes to mind). I sure like players trying to make something happen as opposed to players afraid to make mistakes. To me it shows guts, and it gives me something to cheer for.
Favre knowns when to protect the ball though, Sage it appears does not.
Old 10-06-2008   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I know, but I'm not convinced with Schaub's overall performance over the last year and 3 games. What I am convinced of is that Sage will always move the ball. Granted, his turnover problems ARE rediculous. I'm just struck with how good Sage could be if he only had a brain.
But Sage doesn't have the brain you wished he had. This has been proven, not only in his time here in Houston but in his other stops as well. If he did he likely would have been a starter somewhere by know.

Sage will always beat himself when given the chance.
Old 10-06-2008   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My whole point is that he does that stupid crap because he is trying to win the starting job. What if he already had it?

I know it's crazy, but I can't help wondering.

Old 10-06-2008   #13
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Again, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Schaub is the starter. Cut. Dry. Sage just didn't make "mistakes" yesterday, he forgot basic football fundamentals: PROTECT THE DAMN BALL.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But Sage doesn't have the brain you wished he had. This has been proven, not only in his time here in Houston but in his other stops as well. If he did he likely would have been a starter somewhere by know.

Sage will always beat himself when given the chance.
Guess you're right. I have no idea what he did before the Texans.

Old 10-06-2008   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I will permit this under only one condition. The starting offense must be introduced, when the announcer says Sage, everyone in Reliant will yell as loud as possible. "YOU SUCK"

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uhm.. He throws more interceptions than I drink coffee.

The whole point of the Favre thingie was to point out that playmakers miss some and win some. Personally I like Favre, despite his fairly high interception rate.
Old 10-06-2008   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
No...please do not start Sage....

Might further hurt his trade value....
LOL! Ain't that the truth.
Old 10-06-2008   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

So let me get this straight. A player costs us the game with stupid idiotic bone headed, moronic, mental mistakes, and his punishment is he gets to start the next game over the incumbment who was only not playing because he was sick.

Makes sense to me.
Old 10-06-2008   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

listen. sage wanted to win more than any of us on these forums. that's why he took those risks. granted, in hindsight they were pretty egregious, but you can't fault the man for trying to be heroic in our post-ike home opener.
Old 10-06-2008   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
So let me get this straight. A player costs us the game with stupid idiotic bone headed, moronic, mental mistakes, and his punishment is he gets to start the next game over the incumbment who was only not playing because he was sick.

Makes sense to me.
Curious, how would you describe the first 50 minutes of the game, specifically Rosenfels performance?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read