Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2008   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Believe in next year

Didnt know where to put this so here it goes

like everybody else i was mad as hell after yesterdays game- so much so that i couldnt bear to watch another minute of nfl football yesterday.. i was actually feeling physically unwell after it and thought that was me done for the season...

yet the more i thought about it, the more i couldnt help but not be somewhat optimistic by the majority of events yesterday:

for 3.5 quarters yesterday, who looked like the perrennial powerhouse and cellar dweller yesterday?

Our december 2006 win v the colts was a fluke in my mind where the superior team lost. yesterday when we were thumping them though, i saw no reason for us not to being doing this for the next decade. we played at a level i dont ever remember us playing before in schooling a heavyweight team and making manning look so ordinary.

we are a good team.. this isnt our year though. we're too young/inexperienced and its cost us. those missed tackles and other stupid mistakes we make in nearly every game is that inexperience (coaching and player) and if you notice, those stupid mistakes are getting less and less frequent in every game. we should be 2-2/3-1 but we're not and its looks too big an ask to recover from here.

instead of the big step to the playoffs we were all hoping for, we'll most likely have to settle for smaller breakthroughs like winning 3 in a row etc...

so for the rest of the season, im just going to sit back and enjoy our team because if we play like we have the last 2 weeks (esp yesterday) it'll be a good season..

we'll go 8-8ish again but we'll be so much better than last years team for so many reasons: schaub, the o-line, dunta, diles, harrison even etc will have a big slate of games behind them. hopefully even molden, adibi and big frank too

we'll either have a new DC or a good defence (based on yesterdays showing) that will improve even further when we address the remaining weaknesses in our D namely DE and S but thats probably getting too far ahead of myself

so chin up texans fans, yesterday was our darkest day. i dont blame people calling for heads because it so frustrating when you know we're so close and we're just not quite finishing. nobody wants to have to wait 12 months but gary has continually preached 'continuous improvement' and imo hes doing his job. we are a better team than last year.

part of me isnt even sure we'll have to wait 12 months based on how we've played lately but thats over-optimism. so my goal for the texans for 2008 isnt record wise- i just want them to continue to improve and not suffer any serious injuries

Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Believe in next year

Sorry but "waiting until next season" isn't acceptable anymore. I don't even see an improvement on this next season at this rate. We will be getting into 1st regime time by 2009.
Old 10-06-2008   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

like everybody else i was mad as hell after yesterdays game- so much so that i couldnt bear to watch another minute of nfl football yesterday.. i was actually feeling physically unwell after it and thought that was me done for the season...

yet the more i thought about it, the more i couldnt help but not be somewhat optimistic by the majority of events yesterday:

for 3.5 quarters yesterday, who looked like the perrennial powerhouse and cellar dweller yesterday?

Our december 2006 win v the colts was a fluke in my mind where the superior team lost. yesterday when we were thumping them though, i saw no reason for us not to being doing this for the next decade. we played at a level i dont ever remember us playing before in schooling a heavyweight team and making manning look so ordinary.

we are a good team.. this isnt our year though. we're too young/inexperienced and its cost us. those missed tackles and other stupid mistakes we make in nearly every game is that inexperience (coaching and player) and if you notice, those stupid mistakes are getting less and less frequent in every game. we should be 2-2/3-1 but we're not and its looks too big an ask to recover from here.

instead of the big step to the playoffs we were all hoping for, we'll most likely have to settle for smaller breakthroughs like winning 3 in a row etc...

so for the rest of the season, im just going to sit back and enjoy our team because if we play like we have the last 2 weeks (esp yesterday) it'll be a good season..

we'll go 8-8ish again but we'll be so much better than last years team for so many reasons: schaub, the o-line, dunta, diles, harrison even etc will have a big slate of games behind them. hopefully even molden, adibi and big frank too

we'll either have a new DC or a good defence (based on yesterdays showing) that will improve even further when we address the remaining weaknesses in our D namely DE and S but thats probably getting too far ahead of myself

so chin up texans fans, yesterday was our darkest day. i dont blame people calling for heads because it so frustrating when you know we're so close and we're just not quite finishing. nobody wants to have to wait 12 months but gary has continually preached 'continuous improvement' and imo hes doing his job. we are a better team than last year.

part of me isnt even sure we'll have to wait 12 months based on how we've played lately but thats over-optimism. so my goal for the texans for 2008 isnt record wise- i just want them to continue to improve and not suffer any serious injuries

You can talk sunshine and roses all you want for this team this year or next year, but facts are what matter. 0-4 is a fact that tells me this team is not better than they were last year especially when we have more players that are healthy than last year. 0-4 tells me that Gary is not getting this team better, but he's taking them backwards the same way Capers did.

I don't care how good a team looks in a loss. A loss is a loss is a loss. You can be happy about losses and talk about all the good things in losses, but when we have 4 consecutive losses and not one win, there is nothing good about that. And the reality is that when you lose a game the way they did yesterday that usually puts more doubts in the minds of players who thought they had their first win. Players are tired of hearing or thinking about next year. Those players will eventually leave and start demanding trades, unless the owner takes a stand and says this is unacceptable and we're making changes here. I think this team would wake up if the right coach was brought in. Kubiak has proven that he doesn't have a winning affect on this team.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Next year has always been our year ! For openers we've got the NFC West
teams. But we just had too many needs to think this was a playoff team, even if you don't have a crazy game like yesterday. Didn't you realize that after Pittsburg ?
Next year we'll have a 2nd rounder which we've been missing for 2 years. And we will obviously be picking fairly high. And in that context, I'd rather end up with only 3 or 4 wins than 6 or 7. What's the point in the record if it doesn't get you into the playoffs ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #5
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

As some of you know I wear a pair of overalls with a lot of patches on them to the games. I even had a patch made to celebrate our 5th anaversity. I have been wanting a reason to have another patch made. I wanted a patch for something worth celebrating. I think now that the Texans have fallen to the point of being classified as perineum losers I may have to wait a long time. This thread though has given me an idea for a new patch. I can see it now. In big bold Battle Red letters...

Believe in Next Year
or the year after that

For the record I know that I did not spell perennial correctly. While looking throught the dictionary to spell perennial I stumbled across the word perineum and felt it fit the post. An education is a wonderful thing and up until I found that word in the dictionary i did not believe that there was a word to classify that.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Sorry but "waiting until next season" isn't acceptable anymore. I don't even see an improvement on this next season at this rate. We will be getting into 1st regime time by 2009.
I hope so.

Would Marty turn this thing around? I have not generally been a Marty Ball fan...simply because I think L.T. makes any coach look pretty smart.

But...Marty DID take his Chiefs and Chargers teams to the playoffs more often than not. You think Marty might be a guy who can impact this team?

Cowher wouldn't come here, I'm convinced of that.

But Marty's probably itching to get back into it.
Old 10-06-2008   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I hope so.

Would Marty turn this thing around? I have not generally been a Marty Ball fan...simply because I think L.T. makes any coach look pretty smart.

But...Marty DID take his Chiefs and Chargers teams to the playoffs more often than not. You think Marty might be a guy who can impact this team?

Cowher wouldn't come here, I'm convinced of that.

But Marty's probably itching to get back into it.
Yeah, I agree. I've never been a big Marty fan, but at least he would be a guy with stature and a reputation of taking teams to success. His post season rep is bad for sure, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot knowing that he's taken several teams out of the gutter at least and made them into good teams. At least he is a proven head coach that teams will follow his lead. Kubiak has only proven that he isn't that kind of head coach.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2008   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont think the colts are as good as the used to be. they may not end the season at 500. at least we outplayed that sub 500 team. guess thats something.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i dont think the colts are as good as the used to be. they may not end the season at 500. at least we outplayed that sub 500 team. guess thats something.
Yeah, it's like 'We didn't win, but we kicked your can all over the field today...when in the past, we couldn't even hang with you."

I feel that way.

We lost. It's a mark in the "L" column, but it's not even reflective of how we actually outplayed them.

Of course, they are banged up, but still...they're not unbeatable anymore.
Old 10-06-2008   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe in next year...I believe that when you do the same darn thing you get the same darn result.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Believe in next year
Believe in what?....

That we might actually win three games in a row for the first time in franchise history?

That we might actually win an overtime after six failed attempts in our history?

That we might actually win more games than we lose after 8 seasons?

I just can't take a look-at-next-year mentality right now just four games into this season. That's just....unacceptable to my reality right now.
Old 10-06-2008   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait until next year? So we can do the exact same thing and make more excuses? The o-line needs to gel. The secondary needs to get better. The coaching needs to pick it up. All we do is make excuses for this team. Its time to put up or shut up.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

these threads start earlier and earlier every season, i think.

ha.
Old 10-06-2008   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's talk about the 2010 draft. We're gonna need it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out my new avatar...

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #16
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64027 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me be the first. Well the season is shot, let's look forward to 2010.

Signed on this day Oct 6th 2008.
Old 10-06-2008   #17
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I have no problem waiting for next season...it's some of our players that I worry about.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The more the stock market dives and takes my money with it, the less and less I can about rich ass football players and owners and the NFL in general. Sorry to be selfish about it, but that's just how I feel.

Screw next year anyway, they need to get their stupid frigging act together right now and start winning games RIGHT NOW. The last I looked, they still have 12 games left to play.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

When did we become the Cubs with wait till next year?
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Let me be the first. Well the season is shot, let's look forward to 2010.

Signed on this day Oct 6th 2008.

I disagree. I say we start a hardcore run of wins and will be at least 6-6 after the Jacksonville game on Dec. 1st. If this team doesn't quit, which I don't think it will, it's going to be winning a lot of games the next two months.
I'm looking forward to a special season this year, starting next week.

As far as '09 goies, that will be the season to start talking superbowl. For this year, we're going to be chasing down the wild card teams... I think we will fall a little short with 9 wins or so, but it's gonna be a fun chase.

Watch and see! Signed on this day of Oct.6, 2008.

p.s. I'm not being a homer. I really believe this team is starting to play very good football and that the losses this year are a result of incredible circumstances. Yesterday was the best any Texan team has ever played a football game, IMO. 2 Sage fumbles cost us the game but don't change the quality of football that the rest of the team played
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read