Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2008   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default How Much Money Have You Spent Per Home Win?

I know a lot of folks have spent a helluva lot more money than I have. I got my season tickets at the beginning of 2005. Prior to that, I shared a season ticket with a friend, so I only paid for and attended four home games a year. Adding up PSL expenditures, season tickets, parking, and only $20/game for concessions (I've gone over that several times), I estimate I have personally spent about $733 per home win. I'm not factoring in paraphernalia or tailgating expenses.

How much have you spent? Have you gotten your money's worth?
Old 10-06-2008   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Much Money Have You Spent Per Home Win?

All told, I have spent thousands over the years on season tickets (2002), parking, merchandise (including three custom jerseys and dozens of shirts & hats, etc.). I really don't want to take a calculator to it...mainly because it would probably depress me.

Truth be told, the Texans have a great marketing department....and I've been a sucker for it. I don't regret, but I don't see myself continuing to spend more money on merchandise and stuff.

I'm on the fence if I can, or should, afford my 2009 season ticket. Regardless of how the season turns out, one thing is certain and that is an increase in the season ticket and parking prices. It's insane how a perpetually bad product can continue to increase in price.
Old 10-06-2008   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
All told, I have spent thousands over the years on season tickets (2002), parking, merchandise (including three custom jerseys and dozens of shirts & hats, etc.). I really don't want to take a calculator to it...mainly because it would probably depress me.

Truth be told, the Texans have a great marketing department....and I've been a sucker for it. I don't regret, but I don't see myself continuing to spend more money on merchandise and stuff.

I'm on the fence if I can, or should, afford my 2009 season ticket. Regardless of how the season turns out, one thing is certain and that is an increase in the season ticket and parking price. It's insane how a perpetually bad product can continue to increase in price.
I'm actually curious to see numbers from people. Putting a calc to it set things in perspective for me, and I was curious where I am on the scale of idiocy.
Old 10-06-2008   #4
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I will get flamed for this by the entire board, and its not saying I am ok losing not in the least.

But my family had Oiler season tickets until the season they left town and we are charter psl holders like many of you, I will go to games win or lose as long as there is football in town. I hated every football season that came in went while we had not team and while I am sick of losing and want things to change I would rather have a bad football team I can go and watch than no football team. I dont regret one dollar I hav spent on this team, well wait I have had a few hot beers and cold hot dogs I wish I had not paid for!

I have clients cut from the same cloth as Bob Mcnair successful and business and love the trill of victory! Its the same draw that gets them into horse racing, nobody hates losing as much as Bob Mcnair I feel safe is saying that!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #5
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever it is, it is worth every penny.

I remember when we didn't have a team to complain about or tailgating at all.
Old 10-06-2008   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
I know I will get flamed for this by the entire board, and its not saying I am ok losing not in the least.

But my family had Oiler season tickets until the season they left town and we are charter psl holders like many of you, I will go to games win or lose as long as there is football in town. I hated every football season that came in went while we had not team and while I am sick of losing and want things to change I would rather have a bad football team I can go and watch than no football team. I dont regret one dollar I hav spent on this team, well wait I have had a few hot beers and cold hot dogs I wish I had not paid for!

I have clients cut from the same cloth as Bob Mcnair successful and business and love the trill of victory! Its the same draw that gets them into horse racing, nobody hates losing as much as Bob Mcnair I feel safe is saying that!
I don't see why you should get flamed by anyone for saying that. Different people have different thresholds for how much money they are willing to spend on various activities. Personally, I've hit my limit on how much I am willing to pay for losing football given the economy these days and other expenditure demands in my life. If the team were worth a damn, then that would change my outlook on it. I'll still be a fan, but I'll be watching on TV, spending approximately $733 less per home win.

I was just curious where that ranked among the other members, so I could put my expenditures in perspective. I know what I've spent, but without some points of comparison, it's just a number. I could compare it to other entertainment expenditures in my budget, but it so far surpasses anything else that it's not really viable to do so.
Old 10-06-2008   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Whatever it is, it is worth every penny.

As much as I wanted a team back then, I think my blood pressure and anxiety levels were much healthier then, LOL.
Old 10-06-2008   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I remember a time when I didn't spend a dime enjoying the team that was here before, too.
Old 10-06-2008   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'll still be a fan, but I'll be watching on TV, spending approximately $733 less per home win.
Great post and interesting to do the math!

I've never held season tickets. Never thought they worth the money--sorry but I'm sure someone will flame me for that--when I can watch the game on HD at home and attend 1, maybe 2 games in person every year with my friends who work for the team.

I'd probably feel that way whether I'm making $50k/yr or $150k/yr. But that's just me personally. Like you say, everyone has a different threshold for what they're willing to pay for their various hobbies, activities and interests. It would probably astound some people that I'm willing to pay $5,000 for a camera or $3,500 for a TV. My wife thinks I was an id!ot to pay $175 out of pocket when I traded in my 360 for a PS3. I think she does *not* need nine pairs of khaki pants (to her credit, she typically only shops sales.) Everyone's got different perspectives.

Quote:
As much as I wanted a team back then, I think my blood pressure and anxiety levels were much healthier then, LOL.
I've been there, but fortunately I've managed to detach myself from the "it's my team mentality."
Old 10-06-2008   #10
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And I remember a time when I didn't spend a dime enjoying the team that was here before, too.
True but they left.

Why did they leave?

Money.

Again, just be happy that we have a team to complain about. If you want out, get out of it. Football can be too intense for the fickle fairweathered fan.

(Not directed to Double Barrel but if anyone is offended by the statement above, it may be a time to ask yourself why.)
Old 10-06-2008   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
True but they left.

Why did they leave?

Money.

Again, just be happy that we have a team to complain about. If you want out, get out of it. Football can be too intense for the fickle fairweathered fan.

(Not directed to Double Barrel but if anyone is offended by the statement above, it may be a time to ask yourself why.)
Geta clue, man. The fickle fair weather fans either left this bandwagon a long time ago or they never got on. Fair weather fans don't stick around for 32-68. Fair weather fans only come out when there's fair weather, of which there's been none.

So no fickle fair weather fans are here to be offended by your statement.
Old 10-06-2008   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

After every loss, some get upset, and the rest get this "holier than thou" lemming mentality, where if you question your fanhood you are either a traitor or a fairweather fan.

Loyalty is great and all, but c'mon
Old 10-06-2008   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
True but they left.

Why did they leave?

Money.

I've got to agree with eriadoc. Anyone rooting for the Houston Texans after six plus seasons of crap football is a true fan. And it doesn't look like this season will end up as a wining effort, so make that seven seasons.

As far as justifying Pud Adams history, shame on you (!!). Pud made money on the Houston market. It was all about power and his desire to OWN the stadium without the involvement of the Houston Rodeo.

I don't make a lot of money. I'd venture that I make a whole lot less than most people on this board (save for students and perhaps retired folks). With two kids and another on the way, it is a simple matter of economics about affordability and return on the investment.

But I'm a Houston Texans fan for life. Buying season tickets has nothing to do with that status.

Last edited by Double Barrel; 10-06-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added smiley for humorous intent
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are like a drug-addicted friend.

Those that don't know them instantly flame and scold them. Those close to them support them and want them to get better. Those that are extremely close / almost like family slap them in the face and tell them to shut the **** up and get better.

Sometimes the ones that are hardest on the Texans happen to be the most loyal fans.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #15
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is an interesting question and one day soon it will affect me, I know this might sound bad but the thought of not having Texans season tickets is ONE of the reasons that makes me want to be sucessfull. Since the first NFL seaon my family,friends, friends of the family pretty much everyone that i have a close relationship too had season tickets at some point. I never had a problem getting tickets to a game and never had to pay for any games. However, if the situation comes up I do have a stash that is put away just for that reason(not being able to get tickets).
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #16
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

The fans on this board and who fill up Reliant or anything but fair-weather fans. We are some of the heartiest and loyal fans around. Along with the Lions, no other fan base has suffered as much as we have. This town and the fans of this team deserve a better product on the field.

The Oilers had several bad stretches but they NEVER had as bad a stretch as the Texans have had. The longest the Oilers sucked before becoming a playoff team was 5 years according to my memory. We are in year 7 with no realistic shot of playoffs or a winning record.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

OK, since no one is really answering the original question, I'll redraft it. Prices are going to continue to rise, irrespective of the wins and losses - that is the reality of the NFL right now. How high will be too high for you? If they're winning, I expect that number will be higher than it will if they continue to lose at the pace they've shown so far, but what is that number for you?
Old 10-06-2008   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

By my estimates $759.37 per win. Friggin ouch.
Old 10-06-2008   #19
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have it figured at about $5.08 per win. Just a few caps and a couple shirts.

Move the figure up to about $1,343 per win if you count lost productivity due to time spent posting at TexansTalk.com.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Per win? I think we will need a $700 Billion bailout as a fanbase.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read