Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2008   #41
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Poor Sage its on Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
If Sage would have slide it would have been about a 49 yard FG attempt. Is there any doubt that Brown would have drilled it from range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Yes, but with three minutes left and up 10, a FG is not really the "nail in the coffin" commensurate with the risk (of giving the Colts the ball on our 39). Had Sage not decided to take the game into his own hands, the right play would have been to punt. The Colts would have had the ball deep in their own end with 3:30 and no timeouts (or 2:50 and 1 timeout) down 10.

FWIW, I liked the bootleg call. I've seen teams do it quite a bit in that situation: the defense is selling everyone out to crash the LOS, so it often goes for a big play. Plus, there is no handoff, so one less thing to go wrong (the Pisarcek factor). You expect your QB to know the situation and know what he can and cannot do. Unfortunately, our QB on that play was Sage, and he was intent on proving something besides making the smart play.

It turned into a classic "his ego is writing checks his body just can't cash" moment.
If Sage slides or doesn't lose the ball the play comes back. There was flag on the play agaisnt the Texans and the colts declined it for obvious reasons. We then would have been in the third and long replaying the down and out of FG range.

Just guessing, but probably would have ran something safe, like another telegraphed run and ended up just a bit too long to try a 54+ yarder when punting and trying to pin them deep would have made a lot of sense. They would have ate up too much time getting down the field.
Old 10-06-2008   #42
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Look no further than the first drive you quoted - Green, Green. No Slaton? Kubiak just getting cute again.

The second drive you quoted, the one after Rosencopter's feeble rushing attempt, is missing the shotgun formation on third down. Putting the ball in Rosenfels hands after the whole team was having an oh shit moment, like we all were, was idiotic. Kubiak does not know how to win and is to cute for is own good.
Kaiser, I saw you at the game. I'm sure you're as sick as I am about it.

However, this is not on Kubiak. Up 10, he made exactly the right calls, forcing the Colts to burn all three timeouts and likely getting the first down on a low risk bootleg... I've been hard on Kubes game management but he can't coach away mistakes and bad bounces. If he tried, everyone would be screaming about him being too conservative. Unless you think he should've been kneeling there, the blame goes to Sage!

Regarding AGreen being in the game, he did his job. He held on to the ball and stayed in bounds. Only Sage didn't do his job at the end.

We are a pretty good team right now but also losers... It's a hard pill to swallow. However, I think hope remains for this season. If the team doesn't quit it can go on a serious winning streak. I'm still kind of believing.

Regardless, this is clearly the best team we've had. Other than our backup QB making a serious of blunders, the team played near flawless football and outmatched the Colts.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #43
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Wikpedia has been updated for Sage the Stupid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Rosenfels

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #44
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm curious what yall think of jon gruden as a coach? he's wild, will get in someone's face, 3 playoff appearances since 02, superbowl champion. heck in 02-03 he won the trophy against the team he'd coached the previous year ... he would've put the colts away for sure. winning mentality, identity, buzz words for teams with a lot of talent and experience. and he was up 21 against the colts with 4 minutes left, on monday night, at home, with arguably the league's best defense. the common factor in both games? peyton manning. he didnt even need sage out there giving the ball away to do it. peyton scores, tampa runs 3 times down to 2 minutes and punts (how many "FIRE GRUDEN! - you have to go for the first down!" threads got started you think?), peyton scores, on-side kick and peyton scores (hell peyton even left 35 seconds on the clock).

this is why you call your consistant plays to move the ball and keep peyton off the field. you dont run 3 for no gain and punt. you try to win the game ... or i hear dom capers might be available for a head coaching job, he'd start running the clock out at halftime - safety first kids. "it's the coach's job to put his team in the best position to win" ... wouldnt that best chance be keep posession, control the ball, and finish the game? or did we fly in the ravens to play defense for us and i missed it? you know, because we have one of the worst pass defenses in the league and all.

by the way, ahman had been averaging 4.5ypc before those last two attempts so he was the right choice and probably should've been the guy on the final drive. outside of slaton's big run, he'd averaged 3.6ypc and hadnt been as consistant.
Old 10-06-2008   #45
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Kaiser, I saw you at the game. I'm sure you're as sick as I am about it.

However, this is not on Kubiak. Up 10, he made exactly the right calls, forcing the Colts to burn all three timeouts and likely getting the first down on a low risk bootleg... I've been hard on Kubes game management but he can't coach away mistakes and bad bounces. If he tried, everyone would be screaming about him being too conservative. Unless you think he should've been kneeling there, the blame goes to Sage!

Regarding AGreen being in the game, he did his job. He held on to the ball and stayed in bounds. Only Sage didn't do his job at the end.

We are a pretty good team right now but also losers... It's a hard pill to swallow. However, I think hope remains for this season. If the team doesn't quit it can go on a serious winning streak. I'm still kind of believing.

Regardless, this is clearly the best team we've had. Other than our backup QB making a serious of blunders, the team played near flawless football and outmatched the Colts.

And Green was averaging like 5 yards a carry. Whats wrong with the vet in at the end? Its Sage, plain and simple.
Old 10-06-2008   #46
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher sounds good and all but I dont see him taking this job no matter how much money we offer him. He is not going to coach unless he has a team ready to win and I don't mean contend for a playoff birth, I mean contend for the Super Bowl. I think we are 2yrs away from that and thats if Schaub continues to get better etc. Kube's better turn it around fast if thats going to happen. I want him to be the guy to lead us but frustration is kicking in all around and its looking like he might lose his job in the next 18mos if he doesnt.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read