Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2008   #21
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139474 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Poor Sage its on Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I haver not called for Kubiak to be fired, but I sure would like the identity and attitude that a Cowher regime would bring. We have never had attitude here.
To me, that's the kicker. You can't say we're a hard-nosed football team, a finesse team or whatever. We're the football equivalent of nougat.

I'm not a fire Kubes bandwagoner either, but his decisions are questionable at times. There always seems to be a major breakdown per game to cost us. Whether it's the coaching staff asleep at the wheel or the defense not making a critical stop or Sage pooping the bed...there's always something spinning off the team at any given moment to make us falter.

I want a team with an identity that isn't one of losing. Today's loss was epic. GOOD TEAMS DO NOT EVER, EVER LOSE UP 3 SCORES WITH 5 MINUTES LEFT. Sad sack Texans. Oh well, they just can't get anything right. I'm sorry, maybe I'm morally wrong, but I'd rather have a team that has a "plays nasty" reputation and breaks some heads than be a nice guy team that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #22
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I haver not called for Kubiak to be fired, but I sure would like the identity and attitude that a Cowher regime would bring. We have never had attitude here.
This is where I blame Kubes. The team has no personality. I do not doubt that Kubes can build a great offense if you give him the chance, not doubting that one bit...but i'm kind of like...Hire Cowher and move Kubes down to OC until he LEARNS HOW TO BE A HEAD COACH.

To me this is the only problem with him. He just doesn't seem to know how to be a head coach. Would Kubiak accept Mcnair saying "I'll give you back this team when Cowher is done with it." I would accept it.

I think Kubiak will eventually be a good Head Coach. He shows that a lot of times his team is in position to win games...but one reason or another they just don't.

I'm not really for firing Kubiak though if we're not bringing in a established guy like Bill Cowher or Marty.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
This is where I blame Kubes. The team has no personality. I do not doubt that Kubes can build a great offense if you give him the chance, not doubting that one bit...but i'm kind of like...Hire Cowher and move Kubes down to OC until he LEARNS HOW TO BE A HEAD COACH.

To me this is the only problem with him. He just doesn't seem to know how to be a head coach. Would Kubiak accept Mcnair saying "I'll give you back this team when Cowher is done with it." I would accept it.

I think Kubiak will eventually be a good Head Coach. He shows that a lot of times his team is in position to win games...but one reason or another they just don't.

I'm not really for firing Kubiak though if we're not bringing in a established guy like Bill Cowher or Marty.
I wouldnt mind Cowher .... Marty on the other hand , I'll pass.

Maybe we should all go watch the Bad News Bears .... might make us feel a little better.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #24
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 77044 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

cowher's a horrible example of identity, he didnt bring the steel curtain, he inherited it during a slump. kubiak's "identity" is scoring points. we're averaging 20.8 right now despite having already played 3 of the top 10 defenses in points allowed. what you're looking for is a defensive coordinator. kubiak is offense, he's a former quarterback, quarterback's coach, and offensive coordinator - we knew this going in. we dont have a talented offensive line to run all day with and build a perfect ZBS. our best back is a rookie in his 4th game. what we do is play effective offense and put points on the board.

the team identity yall are looking for is done on defense and with 10+ years of drafting offensive linemen.
Old 10-06-2008   #25
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's bring in Ditka like the Saints did... His attitude transferred well there. Or maybe Jimmy Johnson like the Dolphins...

Give it a break about firing Kubiak right now. This team needs consistancy on defense. They need to find their own identity. Whether they play clean or dirty doesn't mean anything. They started the season with a winning attitude, and now are doubting themselves. Kubes is still learning, but has overhauled our offense. BIG TIME. We have had our ass handed to us ONCE this year, by Pittsburgh.

We need a bright mind on the defensive side of the ball, period.

OR......... We need to plan on scoring more than 35 a game. It seems like that is what we are allowing this year.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Sage had 3 bad plays but so did the defense. I'm talking about all 3 4th downs where we didn't stop the Colts. When they kept going for it on 4th down, I was thinking how the Colts had no respect for our D. Then on the 3rd 4th down attempt with 4th and 7, we had a chance to stop them and end this game once and for all. No stop and we give them a TD.

It's not just Sage but the D also. I'm saying that though because the D played real well too. It's just Sage and the D made 3 bad plays.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #27
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I know Sage had 3 bad plays but so did the defense. I'm talking about all 3 4th downs where we didn't stop the Colts. When they kept going for it on 4th down, I was thinking how the Colts had no respect for our D. Then on the 3rd 4th down attempt with 4th and 7, we had a chance to stop them and end this game once and for all. No stop and we give them a TD.

It's not just Sage but the D also. I'm saying that though because the D played real well too. It's just Sage and the D made 3 bad plays.
No, its all Sage. They gave up one drive. If Sage slides and we punt, then we would see if the defense can hold a 10 pt lead and make them march it down. But we gave them scores.
Old 10-06-2008   #28
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
No, its all Sage. They gave up one drive. If Sage slides and we punt, then we would see if the defense can hold a 10 pt lead and make them march it down. But we gave them scores.
If Sage would have slide it would have been about a 49 yard FG attempt. Is there any doubt that Brown would have drilled it from range?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #29
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
If Sage would have slide it would have been about a 49 yard FG attempt. Is there any doubt that Brown would have drilled it from range?
Sorry forgot to give us that 3. But you are right and we then kickoff and see if they can drive. Either way the defense had done their job up until then. Giving the Colts a short field isn't the Ds fault.
Old 10-06-2008   #30
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

For the Sage folk who are lumping it on him. How about that time out late in the first half where he called it with 19 seconds left on the play clock. Thankfully when Manning got the ball back he threw an interception.

Sage is a great back up for this team and unfortunately for him he will remain as such due to this meltdown. I would imagine Smith's phone will be ringing today by the value vultures.
Old 10-06-2008   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I was freakin' dumbfounded with Kubiak giving Green the ball. Your best RB should have been in the backfield, and that's not Green. Slaton had been running all over the Colts the whole damn day, and he should be the one to get the ball. He can pick up yardage. Green up the gut twice for one yard apiece? PLEASE.

Kubes is giving me a case of the horribles. Bill Cowher even leaves his house to go get the morning paper, I would be on him like white on rice if I were McNair. This football team needs a hard nosed coach who will put the "balls" back into football. I want a mean and nasty coach who spits on people when he yells and gets his guys to go out there and hurt people.
Now THAT'S the best post this whole season.

Sending you rep, IlliniJen.

YOU NAILED IT.

"I want a mean and nasty coach who spits on people when he yells and gets his guys to go out there and hurt people." -- IlliniJen
Old 10-06-2008   #32
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
cowher's a horrible example of identity, he didnt bring the steel curtain, he inherited it during a slump. kubiak's "identity" is scoring points. we're averaging 20.8 right now despite having already played 3 of the top 10 defenses in points allowed. what you're looking for is a defensive coordinator. kubiak is offense, he's a former quarterback, quarterback's coach, and offensive coordinator - we knew this going in. we dont have a talented offensive line to run all day with and build a perfect ZBS. our best back is a rookie in his 4th game. what we do is play effective offense and put points on the board.

the team identity yall are looking for is done on defense and with 10+ years of drafting offensive linemen.
Steel Curtain? I never mentioned it. Cowher was the identity of that team and Kubiak is ours - we are cute, fluffy, nice and dog-gone giving our best effort. That is fine in college football, but show me some passion, show the team some passion. If we were ever going to see it, surely we would see it now.

I understand identity is an intangible thing that cannot be quantified and there is no right or wrong answer, but right now our players need something to gravitate to in order to break out of this funk of losing and I am not sure where that is on the team to a man or to a coach.

I really liked Kubiak before we hired him, I still think he has he ability to take this team to where we want to go. However, I am not sure he has the moxie to hold this team together and I fully expect them to quit on him should we lose to the Dolphins.
Old 10-06-2008   #33
Polo

I really doubt the team will quit on Kubes...

Too many young guys for that to happen...

Some of the vets might quit though...won't be because of Kubiak...
Old 10-06-2008   #34
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Steel Curtain? I never mentioned it. Cowher was the identity of that team and Kubiak is ours - we are cute, fluffy, nice and dog-gone giving our best effort. That is fine in college football, but show me some passion, show the team some passion. If we were ever going to see it, surely we would see it now.

I understand identity is an intangible thing that cannot be quantified and there is no right or wrong answer, but right now our players need something to gravitate to in order to break out of this funk of losing and I am not sure where that is on the team to a man or to a coach.

I really liked Kubiak before we hired him, I still think he has he ability to take this team to where we want to go. However, I am not sure he has the moxie to hold this team together and I fully expect them to quit on him should we lose to the Dolphins.
Right. That is what I hate. I can't even listen to the Kubes show anymore because listening about "kids working so hard" just doesn't get it done for me. It's going to seal it for him at one point....just like Wade will be out in Dallas for me when they flame again. I'll be double screwed.
Old 10-06-2008   #35
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I really doubt the team will quit on Kubes...

Too many young guys for that to happen...

Some of the vets might quit though...won't be because of Kubiak...
Trust me, if they lose to the Dolphins in a new way that we have not seen yet, then this year's dossier can easily be presented in a nice 2-3 minute segment that will begin to beat the drum internally. Kubiak has left a lot of opportunity out on the field in year 3.

I never expected any of this from a Kubiak coached team, but enough is enough.
Old 10-06-2008   #36
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, but with three minutes left and up 10, a FG is not really the "nail in the coffin" commensurate with the risk (of giving the Colts the ball on our 39). Had Sage not decided to take the game into his own hands, the right play would have been to punt. The Colts would have had the ball deep in their own end with 3:30 and no timeouts (or 2:50 and 1 timeout) down 10.

FWIW, I liked the bootleg call. I've seen teams do it quite a bit in that situation: the defense is selling everyone out to crash the LOS, so it often goes for a big play. Plus, there is no handoff, so one less thing to go wrong (the Pisarcek factor). You expect your QB to know the situation and know what he can and cannot do. Unfortunately, our QB on that play was Sage, and he was intent on proving something besides making the smart play.

It turned into a classic "his ego is writing checks his body just can't cash" moment.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #37
Polo

Quote:
Trust me, if they lose to the Dolphins in a new way that we have not seen yet, then this year's dossier can easily be presented in a nice 2-3 minute segment that will begin to beat the drum internally. Kubiak has left a lot of opportunity out on the field in year 3.

I never expected any of this from a Kubiak coached team, but enough is enough.

I definitely agree with what you're saying....

However, I don't see a bunch of guys who lack heart..Lot's of softies on the team, but the heart is there....

If we played every single game like we played against the Colts with the same exact results, I still don't see a team that will quit on Kubes...

Guys know we're close...

Guys are starting to realize that the coaches have given them the formula...It's up to the players to go out there and make plays...I really see no problem at all with how the team was coached yesterday....We only had one penalty....No turnovers till the end when Sage decided to clock out...Yeah we could use more nastiness but I put that on the players....Coaches can only coach...

Honestly, in the long run I think all of this is going to make us a better more prepared team...Guys now have this game in the back of their mind and if this past game doesn't inspire them to play a full four quaters of football, nothing will...
Old 10-06-2008   #38
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or, since your run game has done well all game, maybe you go for it. That would have ended the game in a positive manner.
Old 10-06-2008   #39
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line is Sage is supposed to protect the ball better. It says so right on the back of his practice shorts, that's the montra for the offense isn't it? Maybe he should have to wear his old nasty, sweaty practice shorts backwards on his head all week so it doesn't leave his mind.

The worst part of all of this is how we are going to have to hear for weeks and months to come about the "colts amazing comeback".....that's just salt in the wound right there.
Old 10-06-2008   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I want a team with an identity that isn't one of losing. Today's loss was epic. GOOD TEAMS DO NOT EVER, EVER LOSE UP 3 SCORES WITH 5 MINUTES LEFT. Sad sack Texans. Oh well, they just can't get anything right. I'm sorry, maybe I'm morally wrong, but I'd rather have a team that has a "plays nasty" reputation and breaks some heads than be a nice guy team that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.
Exactly. Good teams refuse to lose, especially games that you have your boot on the neck of the opponent. People call Fisherball boring, but the fact is that he has one of the best winning percentages when his team takes a lead in the fourth quarter. There is a reason for this mentality, and it's knowing how to seal the deal as a head coach. Kubiak does not possess that mentality at this point in his career. Hopefully it is something that he can pick up on SOON, because it means the difference in winning and losing in the NFL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read