Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Boy, I'd hate to see this place if we lost a playoff game

If this is considered to be "the end of the world," then what would happen if this had been a playoff game?

We've stunk since our inception, so things are magnified because we don't have any good memories or winning seasons to fall back upon. All this "woe is me" bullhonkey is uncalled for.

Winning and losing is cyclical.

Look at how much the Bengals endured, then for about two seasons they were red-hot and looked like they were on the verge of winning it all.

Throw the Seahawks in there, too. They were awful for years, heck for decades, and then they had two or three Super Bowl caliber seasons. Where are those teams now? Sucking. Again.

Tampa Bay Bucs? Same thing.

It's like those two or three seasons never happened.

When you have a league with 32 teams, and only about four teams are actually "really really good" per year, then you have to see that the odds are low that your team is going to do well.

I see a lot of griping and "poor, pitiful me" attitudes on the board today.

We lost. We'll lose again. We'll lose even more meaningful games than this one.

Tony Romo bobbled a snap and laid on the turf like a little girl. And Cowboys fans were upset, devastated. But Romo came back strong.

Right now would be a great chance for someone like Andre Johnson to come out next Sunday and just dominate a game, acting like a One Man Gang and just willing our team to victory. Steve Slaton could also be that sort of catalyst.

All it takes is one person.
Old 10-05-2008   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Boy, I'd hate to see this place if we lost a playoff game

What is the word "playoff" you speak of?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 101731 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

PLAYOFFS!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yeah, I think it would be pretty bad.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
What is the word "playoff" you speak of?
Lol. What movie is that from? I forget...
Old 10-05-2008   #5
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Do I have to quote Jim Mora? "Playoffs?!?!?!"
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #6
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to be in the position to lose a playoff game. Sad but true, very frustrating.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is the only team in the NFL that has never had a winning streak. Back to back games isn't a streak and winning two games one year and one game the next year isn't a friggin' winning streak either. After 7 years this gets old....I'd love to be crapped out over losing a playoff game....but those are for winning organizations.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2008   #8
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If this is considered to be "the end of the world," then what would happen if this had been a playoff game?

We've stunk since our inception, so things are magnified because we don't have any good memories or winning seasons to fall back upon. All this "woe is me" bullhonkey is uncalled for.

Look at how much the Bengals endured, then for about two seasons they were red-hot and looked like they were on the verge of winning it all.

Throw the Seahawks in there, too. They were awful for years, heck for decades, and then they had two or three Super Bowl caliber seasons. Where are those teams now? Sucking. Again.

It's like those two or three seasons never happened.

When you have a league with 32 teams, and only about four teams are actually "really really good" per year, then you have to see that the odds are low that your team is going to do well.

I see a lot of griping and "poor, pitiful me" attitudes on the board today.

We lost. We'll lose again. We'll lose even more meaningful games than this one.

Tony Romo bobbled a snap and laid on the turf like a little girl. And Cowboys fans were upset, devastated. But Romo came back strong.

Right now would be a great chance for someone like Andre Johnson to come out next Sunday and just dominate a game, acting like a One Man Gang and just willing our team to victory. Steve Slaton could also be that sort of catalyst.

Well getting to the layoffs means you are playing meaningful football and not losing and yes I as of right now I would take a playoff loss then not having a winning season.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Losing a playoff game would at least mean we had a good team that year which is something this franchise has not had, nor really come close to having, since it's inception.

The Colts loss isn't just devastating because we that one game. It's because all this franchise knows is losing from the day we started. It's a culmination of all that losing that we've had to endure that has put us fans over the top. It seems that this pathetic loss symbolizes what the franchise has become. A team and organization of losers.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #10
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how even the Football Night guys are even saying that the reason the Dolphins are doing well is because of Bills tough *** attitude he brought
Old 10-05-2008   #11
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

At the same time there are teams like the Cowboys who suck for a few seasons before becoming good for another decade...

Yeah it is a cycle, but it's not a coincidence that some franchises collect trophies while others are always waiting for that one moment...that one "Every dog has it's day" moment.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #12
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
At the same time there are teams like the Cowboys who suck for a few seasons before becoming good for another decade...

Yeah it is a cycle, but it's not a coincidence that some franchises collect trophies while others are always waiting for that one moment...that one "Every dog has it's day" moment.
Anyone who say how the Cowboys scored their last TD to put the game away tonight knows that some franchises just find ways to win and some just find ways to lose, even if it seems like dumb luck. The Cowboys have a history of finding a way. The Texans don't.

No way that lucky deflected TD for Dallas happens for the Texans when they need it to put a game away.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, we have a lot more bad stuff ahead of us than this, so I guess we should start getting over it.

Such as - next year, Houston won't have any more blackout protection. That will be a problem unless we turn this season around.

And man, I'm sorry - but I was really disappointed with the fan turnout for the Colts. The place was half empty for a division rival in our season home opener. That just plain sucks... and if it was half-empty for the Colts, what's it going to be for Miami and especially Detroit?

It's going to get worse before it gets better, I'm afraid.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So when does the win cycle begin? I haven't seen any cycles going on here, just outright losing for now 6 straight seasons. To make matters worse we have seen other teams following that cycle of winning and losing you are speaking of during those 6 years.

The Cowboys were arguable worse than the Texans in 2002, they have gone through a couple of cycles since then and now are winning again. I am sure you can name several other teams that were worse than the Texans since 2002 and have turned things around since. I am a fan of the Giants and can throw them into that category. They were pathetic in 2003 (4-12) and 2004 (6-10), both seasons being worse than the Texans. Now they are reigning Super Bowl Champs.

Everyone loves to compare this team to the 70's expansion Bucs however they tend to forget that Bucs team was only pathetic for it's first 2 seasons of existence. They went to the NFC Championship game in just their 3rd season of existence.

If there has been a worse expansion team since the merger during their first 6 years of existence I would be curious who that was.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #15
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14564 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take a playoff loss
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #16
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
So when does the win cycle begin? I haven't seen any cycles going on here, just outright losing for now 6 straight seasons. To make matters worse we have seen other teams following that cycle of winning and losing you are speaking of during those 6 years. The Cowboys were arguable worse than the Texans in 2002, they have gone through a couple of cycles since then and now are winning again. I am sure you can name several other teams that were worse than the Texans since 2002 and have turned things around since. I am a fan of the Giants and will throw them into that category. They were pathetic in 2003 (4-12) and 2004 (6-10), both seasons being worse than the Texans. Now they are reigning Super Bowl Champs.

Everyone loves to compare this team to the 70's expansion Bucs however they tend to forget that Bucs team was in the NFC Championship game in just their 3rd season of existence.

If there has been a worse expansion team since the merger during their first 6 years of existence I would be curious who that was.
I forgot which thread but someone posted the first 100 games for every team. The Texans were around the Bucs and Cleveland Browns in wins, and Dallas had several more wins and a few ties as well. We were way ahead of the Saints though. IIRC we had 32 wins and they had 26 or so.
Dan B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #17
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
So when does the win cycle begin? I haven't seen any cycles going on here, just outright losing for now 6 straight seasons. To make matters worse we have seen other teams following that cycle of winning and losing you are speaking of during those 6 years.

The Cowboys were arguable worse than the Texans in 2002, they have gone through a couple of cycles since then and now are winning again. I am sure you can name several other teams that were worse than the Texans since 2002 and have turned things around since. I am a fan of the Giants and can throw them into that category. They were pathetic in 2003 (4-12) and 2004 (6-10), both seasons being worse than the Texans. Now they are reigning Super Bowl Champs.

Everyone loves to compare this team to the 70's expansion Bucs however they tend to forget that Bucs team was only pathetic for it's first 2 seasons of existence. They went to the NFC Championship game in just their 3rd season of existence.

Yeah exactly.

It's like how they say "You have to lose before you can win." Well...we've done our losing.

I don't see much of a cycle. Some teams suck for a few years before becoming contenders again...we suck for a few years...only to suck for a few more years...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I forgot which thread but someone posted the first 100 games for every team. The Texans were around the Bucs and Cleveland Browns in wins, and Dallas had several more wins and a few ties as well. We were way ahead of the Saints though. IIRC we had 32 wins and they had 26 or so.
Saints, yes I forgot about them. The Saints are probably the worst expansion team in history. Oh boy, if the Texans have a similar fate as them I really feel for the good folks of Houston. It took them 20 years to have their first winning season. Only 14 seasons to go Texans fans!
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, we have a lot more bad stuff ahead of us than this, so I guess we should start getting over it.

Such as - next year, Houston won't have any more blackout protection. That will be a problem unless we turn this season around.

And man, I'm sorry - but I was really disappointed with the fan turnout for the Colts. The place was half empty for a division rival in our season home opener. That just plain sucks... and if it was half-empty for the Colts, what's it going to be for Miami and especially Detroit?

It's going to get worse before it gets better, I'm afraid.
It does look like the Texans will be blacked out in SA and Austin come the end of the season since they cant win ****
Old 10-05-2008   #20
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Both of those guys just did exactly what you are talking about. There's 220 yards and 3 TDs between the 2 of them today. Things were going well too, until.....nevermind
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read