Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2008   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winners and Losers

The reason this team lets us down over and over again is because deep down, they are not winners. This is only a semi-tongue in cheek post.

In life, there are winners and there are losers. This is a phenomenon that permeates boundaries. You see it in kids, you see it in the workplace, and you see it in sports.

Winners win. They may not be the most talented, they may not be the most prepared, but somehow they win. They score the attractive girlfriend, they get the promotion, they win the game.

Losers, on the other hand, lose. They may have the talent, they may have the preparation, but somehow, the always seem to lose. People often use the phrases "How did that happen" and "I don't understand" when referring to the feats of losers. They seemed like they would win, only to lose. This is the plight of the loser.

In sports, its easy to pick out losers. The Arizona Cardinals. The Chicago Cubs. The Detroit Lions.

We have the talent. We have good coaching. We have an amazing facility, and a fabulous owner. And yet, often times unexplicably, we lose. Time and again. Sometimes its close, sometimes its not. But its always painful.

Sometimes we win. And I start thinking "Maybe we are winners" But then something happens and my confidence is crushed again.

We are a young franchise. But I'm already afraid that we might be "Losers"

Why aren't we winners? The REASON IS BECAUSE OF OUR SYSTEM.

Let me repeat, OUR SYSTEM from when we started this expansion team.

We hired Coach Capers who decided his work in previous expansions teams didn't pay off, so he decided to build through the draft. Slowly, without buying up a bunch of talent, so that the team would be perennial contenders for years to come. This is the SAME theory that is being used to build the amazing Charlotte Bobcats franchise.

The PROBLEM with this is that our first 2 or 3 years we stood NO chance. A team of nobodies and talented rookies never has a hope in the NFL. We started CELEBRATING moral victories. Our standards were SO low that if we hung in with a good team for 4 quarters it was a victory. If we improved from 4-12 to 6-10 it was a sign of SUCCESS.

Most teams are playoffs or bust. Only in this, our 2008 season, are we FINALLY saying "playoffs or bust" This is a sure sign of loser mentality. We haven't been striving for WINNING, we've been striving for IMPROVEMENT.

The fans, the announcers, and the coaches and players all expect us to lose to good teams. They make the excuses. I was one of them. Thats why when 1 thing goes wrong, our team collapses. The Texans KNEW they were going to lose after that 27-10 TD made it 27-17. Because they expect to be losers. They are trained

Like I said before, this is probably a 100% knee jerk reaction. I'm pretty sure we have a good chance of going 3-0 over the next 3 weeks, and then everyone will forget about today. But I just wanted to point out the irony. Whats that you might say? No one was surprised that we lost in the last 4 minutes today. I saw it on the board with my own eyes. We expect to lose, because thats what we are trained to do. And we are the fans. Imagine what the players must be thinking
Old 10-05-2008   #2
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Winners and Losers

Some of the players will be out of here ASAP if we don't turn this around...and that will help us be losers for another 5-6 years because we'll be a team that drafts good Rookies...determine if they are the real deal...then let them go off onto teams that will win...

It is a scary thought, but when you lose year in and out...guys start thinking "I love the city, love the owner, love the players i've met...but it's not worth it anymore." I'm thinking Andre Johnson will be the first player to think like this, along with Mario Williams, DRob, Demeco, then Slaton.

We are now knocking on the door of being perennial losers who train up players for when they go and play for NFL organizations.

I agree that we have built a losing culture. I think this falls on the owner though. McNair has built this culture because he's too leniant with his staff here. Kubes has done a great job recently so this isn't a "Fire Kubes thing" this is about the past though.

You see a lot of the Owners who WANT to win, they are not hesitant in making big changes and signing big players. A lot of times a losing culture behind a sports team is because the Owner. Then the Ownership changes hands and it becomes a winning team *coughdallasmaverickscough*

We'll be a losing team until we get a Coach and GM that will lead us there. From what i've seen of Kubes I think he can be a playoff coach, but that is about it.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #3
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

The fans are the real losers in all this. We, as Texans are no better off than any fan of any historical loser team. In fact we are worse off. We have never had anything of any substance to hang our hat on other than the first game in our history. Sure the players that we have that are worth anything will start leaving but they will get paid millions of $ to do so. The fans will have to pay thousands of $ to stay and get laughed at.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #4
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

So why do we cheer for the Texans then if they're perenniel losers? Are we suckers for pain?
Old 10-05-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're houston sports fans. We are DEFINITELY suckers for pain
Old 10-05-2008   #6
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
So why do we cheer for the Texans then if they're perenniel losers? Are we suckers for pain?
We can start to slowly not support a losing team...then if we do that we'll lose the team so...

I don't think McNair is one of those owners that just doesn't care. Not at all, didn't he cry when we first beat the colts? I just think he's way too leniant with his staff...which means we'll win when we get a coach or GM that can change this.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #7
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
We can start to slowly not support a losing team...then if we do that we'll lose the team so...

I don't think McNair is one of those owners that just doesn't care. Not at all, didn't he cry when we first beat the colts? I just think he's way too leniant with his staff...which means we'll win when we get a coach or GM that can change this.
McNair is the one person whom I fell the worst for. I know he's banking win or lose, but he deserves better.
Old 10-05-2008   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

The entire organization as a whole is just too damned conservative. I understand that there's something to be said for patience, but this team takes it to the extreme. It doesn't take 3, 4, or 5 years to turn a team around. It doesn't take 7 years to win 3 games in a row. When do we get an important game in December? Where is the sense of urgency for this organization? When will someone step up and make it clear that there ARE expectation that MUST be met?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints never had a winning record in their first 20 years of existence. They only had two .500 seasons in those two decades. I am starting to worry that we are going to challenge that record. What if we don't get a second .500 season by 2022?!
Old 10-05-2008   #10
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason teams like that had a ton of trouble was there was no FA and that meant your draft picks had to do work fast.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Saints never had a winning record in their first 20 years of existence. They only had two .500 seasons in those two decades. I am starting to worry that we are going to challenge that record. What if we don't get a second .500 season by 2022?!
Come on - that would be impossible. This franchise has slow, steady improvement. They'll be .500 again by 2010.
Old 10-05-2008   #12
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Cam Cameron only got 1 year in Miami - and they even won a game.
Old 10-06-2008   #13
gtexan02
Working?

This team just expects to lose. Thats why they get so uncomfortable when they are winning. Its new territory.
Old 10-06-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is, I'm getting tired of the losing and even though I'll be sticking around, there will be thousands who don't.
Old 10-06-2008   #15
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And don't you forget it *****es. You think you have a chance at breaking our record, but you don't.

The bar for futility has been set impossibly high, son. Don't lose any sleep at night dreaming about walking in our footsteps. Leave that kind of ineptitude up to the true pros, ok?
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
And don't you forget it *****es. You think you have a chance at breaking our record, but you don't.

The bar for futility has been set impossibly high, son. Don't lose any sleep at night dreaming about walking in our footsteps. Leave that kind of ineptitude up to the true pros, ok?
heh heh, thanks for the "pep" talk.
Old 10-06-2008   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DB when we start winning please put a hardhat on my gravestone. I'd appreciate that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #18
Polo

lol

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read