Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-04-2008   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I want this guy playing next to Demeco!

This is Rey Maualuga
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #2
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I want this guy playing next to Demeco!

Rey is the man

Though my Trojans didn't need him to kill the Ducks!

I wouldn;t mind Brian Cushing in a trade down as long as he clears medically.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to watch the safety play today against the Colts. Brown has been serviceable (now out for the season) & Demps is not the long term solution anyway @ FS so lets pay carefull attention to Barber, Mitchell & Harrison see what they can do, maybe the best guy playing next to DeMeco is an upgrade @ safety first?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

biggest need is official now it's Safety & I've never been on that bandwagon, ever but after that performance the Texans do not have a playmaker in the secondary the cb's need help over the top & they're not getting any its always one on one.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-05-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want this guy playing next to Demeco:

He is a turnover machine!
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I love ya to death old Miss. Where are you going to play Ray in the 4-3 ? Can't play him outside...can't cover. So you put him in the middle and move Demeeco outside...? I don't see it.

Well beerlover I could be reading way too much into what they've done in the past...and I agree one fix would to be draft one of these spectacular safeties...they ain't going to do it. They have their prototype and where they want to take the guy...and it isn't in the first round.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...985_roster.htm

http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/db.html

Dennis Smith & Steve Foley...Now if Kubiak believes that Mays is his Dennis Smith...he might bite. I won't believe it untill I see it. Both Moore and Mays are big enough to be Wills.

1981 The Broncos took Dennis Smith after Kenny Easly and Ronnie Lott went off the board.
Eight years later.....
In 1989 they took Steve Atwater 1.20.
Detha O'Neil in 2000 1.15
Willie Middle Brooks 1.24 2001

So in twenty eight years the Broncos have taken a Saftey in the first round twice. And in almost thirty drafts they've taken a Db high five times. Yeah, I'd say there's a pattern here.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-06-2008 at 02:24 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #7
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Mays, Rolle and Moore going in the first and the rest going in late 2nd to 4th. I am a big fan of Patrick Chung and then kid thinks like a mad man. I cant find the presser but he went on to say that he and the ducks secondary are the marines of the team and they try to hit and destroy people.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Re: threetoedpete

You definitely have some good points. But after seeing what Patrick Willis is doing compared to what our LB's are doing, I'd like to find a guy a close to him as possible. Watching this guy play and hit, I can just feel our team being that much better.

Here's kind of how I got to Rey. I'd love a pass rushing DE and would fully support that pick, but at this point it's hard for me to figure who would be best suited for a 4-3 and not 3-4 de/olb. I like M. Johnson. DT? nope, CB? maybe but we'll see how dunta, bennett, reeves, and molden are all playing. FS/SS? I'd love one- was a huge fan of Landry but I'm just as convinced we'll never choose a safety in the 1st like many feel about RB. so there goes our defense if its not DE.

On to offense: Doubtful we pick QB, WR, TE, T, C... so that leaves RB and G. I'd love to have a pro bowl guard but i'm not so sure we pick one unless we make a trade similar to duane brown's. RB? could be a big help but I think more value would be a another position and shoot for one of these in the 2nd or 3rd.

So that's how I got to LB and Rey would arguably be the BPA. It's very rare for me to find a LB I'd be willing to move Demeco over for but outside of P.Willis, this is it. I want us to finish building our OL and our Defensive front 7 once and for all.

Draft is still a long ways away and plenty can change. But he's definitely someone we need to keep an eye on.
Old 10-06-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Texans secondary inability to stop anyone has to be addressed with a high priority pick then cover & build around him. Bennett, Reeves, Molden even Dunta when he returns need help over the top, someone to read & react to help the corners in single coverage. the Safetys left on this team just don't have the speed or playmaking skills in pass support. heck look @ Indy without Bob Sanders, their secondary was expoused or Jacksonville without Reggie Nelson these players are critical, the DL & LB can only do so much if the QB has enough time most NFL QB's can just pick apart the Texans secondary even with a cb right in the receivers hip pocket.

If LB is the bpa or you have a choice for this team between Rey Maualuga or James Laurinaitis I'd do with the former if you want more production & can somehow look past the highlight reel footage of Rey doing his Ray Lewis impersonation. Besides better production you could interchange DeMeco with James in different packages to confuse the QB enhancing pressure. James is a very smart player, this is something that needs to be emphasized, not just reading the playbook but understanding it completly & quickly. I understand the temptation is there just based off the charts measureables but it seems often times its the LB thats overlooked who outworks his more imposing counterpart that shines @ the next level.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-06-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

good points on both counts beerlover.

Of any year, this could be a year for safety. Our two starters are injured (1 for the year) another is old, and three are basically rookies in there. If they don't show too much progression it could be a need pick. Safety is one of those positions I really would like fixed to help with coverage.

towards production vs. measurables. Demeco was never really that flashy but he's a true football player. Smart and instinctive- that's what we need more of.
Old 10-06-2008   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say our need for a safety is about as high as our need for some linebackers (plural), and our need for another d-end who can pressure the QB.

Our defense is beyond bad. We will need to upgrade more than one position to get this thing on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
If LB is the bpa or you have a choice for this team between Rey Maualuga or James Laurinaitis I'd do with the former if you want more production & can somehow look past the highlight reel footage of Rey doing his Ray Lewis impersonation. Besides better production you could interchange DeMeco with James in different packages to confuse the QB enhancing pressure. James is a very smart player, this is something that needs to be emphasized, not just reading the playbook but understanding it completly & quickly. I understand the temptation is there just based off the charts measureables but it seems often times its the LB thats overlooked who outworks his more imposing counterpart that shines @ the next level.
I'd be really happy with either of these guys. I think moving DeMeco to the outside might be a good idea but ONLY if we get someone who can play as well as him or better than him in the middle, which I don't see happening. That MLB is very important.

My question is can these guys play on the outside? How will they fair man to man against TEs in our division? Crumpler and Clark will tear you apart. We need OLBs that are fast and that are exceptional in coverage, see Keith Bulluck.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-06-2008 at 10:07 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see anything special. Even Earl Brown can "jack up" recievers.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
good points on both counts beerlover.

Of any year, this could be a year for safety. Our two starters are injured (1 for the year) another is old, and three are basically rookies in there. If they don't show too much progression it could be a need pick. Safety is one of those positions I really would like fixed to help with coverage.

towards production vs. measurables. Demeco was never really that flashy but he's a true football player. Smart and instinctive- that's what we need more of.
I figured you would make the connection

however what about your Ole Miss game this past weekend against South Carolina (Dunta Robinson/Fred Bennett alma-mater). didn't you notice they had the nations #1 ranked defense led by a Safety named Emmanuel Cook? reminded me of Bob Sanders, hey the Texans could use him. by the time this College season is complete I expect a full report in reference to all the best defensive players you watched play against Ole Miss. next up Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn & LSU. :mshadows:

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-06-2008   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd say our need for a safety is about as high as our need for some linebackers (plural), and our need for another d-end who can pressure the QB.

Our defense is beyond bad. We will need to upgrade more than one position to get this thing on track.
Yeah, we dont need much on offense, maybe a change of pace for Slaton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd be really happy with either of these guys. I think moving DeMeco to the outside might be a good idea but ONLY if we get someone who can play as well as him or better than him in the middle, which I don't see happening. That MLB is very important.
If we move Ryans outside, Ill be VERY pissed. Willis wasnt good enough to move him for? Thats just sloppy and a missed evaluation.
Old 10-06-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
however what about your Ole Miss game this past weekend against South Carolina (Dunta Robinson/Fred Bennett alma-mater). didn't you notice they had the nations #1 ranked defense led by a Safety named Emmanuel Cook? reminded me of Bob Sanders, hey the Texans could use him. by the time this College season is complete I expect a full report in reference to all the best defensive players you watched play against Ole Miss. next up Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn & LSU. :mshadows:
Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the game saturday. I will, however, be glued to the Alabama game. Definitely taking some notes on SEC defensive players, especially Linebacker. Brandon Spikes, LB from florida is a guy that looked really really good to me. He can really rush the passer well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yeah, we dont need much on offense, maybe a change of pace for Slaton.

If we move Ryans outside, Ill be VERY pissed. Willis wasnt good enough to move him for? Thats just sloppy and a missed evaluation.
Agree, Slaton's been playing awesome. Im starting to think a change of pace back for the offense may be a bruiser and that's something they can easily find outside the 1st round.

Not sure what you mean about the second part. Willis was easily someone I would move demeco outside for. I don't fault the Texans one bit going after Amobi though. A penetrating DT with that upside, their #1 defensive player on the board.. you gotta take him. With him its mostly upside and thats a risky move. If it pays off, it will help big time- but i think we still have yet to see. Willis (most linebackers) we would see more immediate affects.
Old 10-06-2008   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey would be nice, but IMO we need serious help in the secondary. Corner or Safety.

Then we can go OLB and DT. But we also need some O-line help either in the draft or FA.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #17
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Rey would be nice, but IMO we need serious help in the secondary. Corner or Safety.

Then we can go OLB and DT. But we also need some O-line help either in the draft or FA.
1. Pass rusher
2. impact outside linebacker
3. ball hawking safety
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
1. Pass rusher
2. impact outside linebacker
3. ball hawking safety
Well, talking strictly in terms of the draft, I think your order is a little off. A pass rushing specialist can be found on the second day of the draft because their stock usually falls due to measurables and size. I think we have an impact OLB in Ryans, and it would be easier to upgrade the MLB position with an impact player than it would be to upgrade with an OLB, though we could get an OLB in the second, but not an "impact type" you are probably referring to and certainly not after that. The ball hawking safety will be an early pick. If it is the third priority, there is no point in wasting a pick honestly. It's how we end up with C.C. Brown as a starting FS and we end up with the mess we're in now at the S position. Barber/Harrison/any "flyer" type guy isn't going to be the solution. The game changing safety I would assume you want can only be found early in the draft, and as a high priority.
Old 10-08-2008   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Well, talking strictly in terms of the draft, I think your order is a little off. A pass rushing specialist can be found on the second day of the draft because their stock usually falls due to measurables and size. I think we have an impact OLB in Ryans, and it would be easier to upgrade the MLB position with an impact player than it would be to upgrade with an OLB, though we could get an OLB in the second, but not an "impact type" you are probably referring to and certainly not after that. The ball hawking safety will be an early pick. If it is the third priority, there is no point in wasting a pick honestly. It's how we end up with C.C. Brown as a starting FS and we end up with the mess we're in now at the S position. Barber/Harrison/any "flyer" type guy isn't going to be the solution. The game changing safety I would assume you want can only be found early in the draft, and as a high priority.
BPA is probably the way to go.

The internet talking head have Selvie listed as a top ten pick but every pro scout one like Rivals has him as a second rounder.

A draft netting Maulauga in the first and Selvie in the second could really turn things around
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
BPA is probably the way to go.

The internet talking head have Selvie listed as a top ten pick but every pro scout one like Rivals has him as a second rounder.
& you believed them?

Selvie at worst is top 15 material, just look @ the early run on DE last draft

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read