Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2008   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson Article

I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted here. I may have missed it.

It sounds as if Dre sees the same lack of progress as some of the posters here. He doesn't seem at all satisfied about where the team is at.

Quote:
We needed one more play to be made to win that game (against Jacksonville),” Johnson said, “but we just didn’t make that play. So, that’s pretty much been the story week in and week out, not making enough plays or not executing on offense.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6035422.html
Old 10-02-2008   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson Article

I understand his frustration, I really do. But if he catches those two TD passes, heck if he catches one of the two TD passes, we win that game. We played very solid against Jax, if we play like that the rest of the year, the wins are going to come.

If we play like we did against Pitt and Tenn, we can hang it up, the frustration level is a lot lower now than what it is going to be later. By fans and players. There is still time to have a decent possibly good season. Kubiak will need to make better decisions along with the team playing like they did last week for that to happen.
Old 10-02-2008   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

There is frustration from losing a game and a different kind of frustration when the person doesn't see the light at the end of tunnel.

Fans may be satisfied with an "I knew it would happen" in 2014 or whenever the Texans "figure this thing out", but players don't have that long.

Yes, he has made some bad individual plays, but most of his good play has been wasted in inept team efforts. If I was Andre I'd wonder what it was like to play on, if not a contender, at least a competent team.
Old 10-02-2008   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
There is frustration from losing a game and a different kind of frustration when the person doesn't see the light at the end of tunnel.

Fans may be satisfied with an 'I knew it would happen' in 2014 or whenever the Texans 'figure this thing out', but players don't have that long.

Yes, he has made some bad individual plays, but most of his good play has been wasted in inept team efforts. If I was Andre I'd wonder what it was like to play on, if not a contender, at least a competent team.
Good points....he's not getting any younger and you know he wants to have a productive career.
Old 10-02-2008   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I am surprised this hasn't been talked about today either. The guy sounds burned out on losing and wasting his talent.
Old 10-02-2008   #6
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

In the last game, a ball bounced off his facemask.

I don't think I have ever seen Andre this much out of it.
Old 10-02-2008   #7
Ckw

I kind of have to disagree with you guys. Yes, Andre should be rewarded and given slack because of his past performances, but he has no right to complain about where we are this season. We have tried consistently to get him the ball, and he has dropped passes. Clutch passes. Touchdown passes.

I love Andre as much as the next guy, but he has got to take responsibility for his mistakes. Perhaps part of what isn't working right now is him. I understand Schaub looked horrible in the Tennessee and Pittsburgh games. He looked lost and for the first time I was calling for Sage. He looked a lot like an old #8.

But we have to fault AJ for dropping two touchdown passes in the Tennessee game. They were in his hands, and he let them fall out of his hands. In the game, he had something like 5 total dropped passes.

Also, you have to wonder how his knee is doing. I am sure it is better but when you miss as much time as he missed, you do start to lose a step. I wholeheartedly believe Andre will get it back. I truly believe this is going to be his breakout game this season. But I don't believe that AJ deserves as much blame as anyone for at least one and possibly two of our losses.
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

There was a particular season when Carr was throwing those "quick outs," as I insist on calling them (even if that does really mean a long bomb or something), to AJ as designed plays and expecting him to run over DBs and get yardage after catching the ball for no or extremely little gain. It seemed to me that was working fairly well, UNTIL AJ GOT TIRED OF BEING USED LIKE A RENTED MULE. Eventually, he got tired of taking all those unnecessary hits and started going down with the first hit, albeit he'd still get 2 or 3 yards. I'm reminded of when Tony Dorsett looked at Earl Campbell's physical condition and asked, "Did you ever think about just going down with the first hit?" Of course, Campbell wouldn't even consider it, but we couldn't have blamed him if he had done it some. They basically had to stop using that play.

Well, now AJ is not just tired of being used and risking wear down--he's tired of waisting his career on a perpetual loser. Some players don't want to get stuck on a new franchise and others don't like getting stuck on a rebuilding team. NOBODY with the heart of a champion wants to play on a perpetually new/rebuilding team. Only players that want that are your Ahman Greens, Anthony Weavers, Chris Browns (spelling?--not the kicker), and Ron Daynes. Aging Veterans with very little left, if anything, just looking to get that last contract.

PS-At least AJ has great job security if he stays. He could still be here when he's 48 years old, lost about 10 steps, and can't catch a nerf ball from an 8 year old.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If the Texans loose this week I am really going to start wondering if they are going to win a game this season. No bashing please I am just really staring to wonder about this team.
Old 10-02-2008   #10
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
There was a particular season when Carr was throwing those "quick outs," as I insist on calling them (even if that does really mean a long bomb or something), to AJ as designed plays and expecting him to run over DBs and get yardage after catching the ball for no or extremely little gain. It seemed to me that was working fairly well, UNTIL AJ GOT TIRED OF BEING USED LIKE A RENTED MULE. Eventually, he got tired of taking all those unnecessary hits and started going down with the first hit, albeit he'd still get 2 or 3 yards. I'm reminded of when Tony Dorsett looked at Earl Campbell's physical condition and asked, "Did you ever think about just going down with the first hit?" Of course, Campbell wouldn't even consider it, but we couldn't have blamed him if he had done it some. They basically had to stop using that play.

Well, now AJ is not just tired of being used and risking wear down--he's tired of waisting his career on a perpetual loser. Some players don't want to get stuck on a new franchise and others don't like getting stuck on a rebuilding team. NOBODY with the heart of a champion wants to play on a perpetually new/rebuilding team. Only players that want that are your Ahman Greens, Anthony Weavers, Chris Browns (spelling?--not the kicker), and Ron Daynes. Aging Veterans with very little left, if anything, just looking to get that last contract.

PS-At least AJ has great job security if he stays. He could still be here when he's 48 years old, lost about 10 steps, and can't catch a nerf ball from an 8 year old.
I totally get what you are saying and agree with you on most all of this. The only thing I disagree with is that our team has gotten better. We are still a few players away from being competitive with top teams like Pittsburgh (when they are healthy). But we should have won the Tennessee game and really should have won the Jacksonville game but couldn't stop them on 4th down (I want Dick Smith gone!). But AJ is to blame, big time, for the Tennessee game. Call me crazy but I really believe Kevin Walter catches those two tds.

I know Andre is the best receiver on our team. He is a great guy and a fierce competitor. He has the skills to be one of the best receivers in the NFL. But he has looked like crap this year! If our team looks like crap, one guy that has to own up is AJ.
Old 10-02-2008   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
If the Texans loose this week I am really going to start wondering if they are going to win a game this season. No bashing please I am just really staring to wonder about this team.
I wouldn't apply that to this week since we play the Colts though I do get what you are saying. I do think we can beat them, just not that all is lost if we don't. Many of us belived 0-3 or 1-3 was a definite possible start to the season, giving the schedule. And that was before the screwed up bye week scenario.

If we can play consistently like we did against Jax we will be able to beat Jax at home, possibly Tenn at home, Baltimore, Cincy, Detroit, Miami, Oakland, Chicago, Minnesota. All of those games are winnable, if and that's a big IF we play the way we did against Jax. The defense will have to stop scrambling QB's on 4th and 8 though when the game is on the line. JMHO
Old 10-02-2008   #12
Ckw

Quote:
I think there is too much doom and gloom going on. If you really look at it, we should be 2-1. There have been some stupid mistakes, dropped passes, etc. but the team is going to get passed it. We need this home game and I predict a W. No flaming dude.
Old 10-02-2008   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What's scaring me is that the two stupidest mistakes were arguably the HC's fault. The word "dufus" comes to mind.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

They aren't able to stop the run.
Old 10-02-2008   #15
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

Fans may be satisfied with an 'I knew it would happen' in 2014 or whenever the Texans 'figure this thing out', but players don't have that long.

Andre not too long ago chose to re-sign...

If he was so concerned about the team not having a forseeable winning future then he made a terrible mistake...

I seriously doubt that he's thinking what you're implying....

Of course the losing is wearing on him...doesn't mean he thinks the team is doomed for failure because of ineptness...
Old 10-02-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we all are Gary. Considering we're 1-11 all-time against the Colts, I'm having a hard time finding ways to talk myself into thinking we're going to win.

If we do lose, which is very likely, I wouldn't give up quite yet, Gary. There would still be time to make up some ground. Maybe not playoff worthy, but decent enough to get us by for yet another year.
Old 10-02-2008   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Smith must go.
Old 10-02-2008   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Are you talking about us or the Colts?

Cause we have to worry about Peyton more than anything, if we can get pressure and hit him early and often he can be thrown out of rythm.

With Sanders out for the Colts, I am loving the Slaton/Colts D matchup, and if Schaub plays as well as he did last week he will light them up. Another important matchup is going to be Freeney/Duane Brown on passing situations.
Old 10-02-2008   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Andre did take the responsibility for his drops. That doesn't change much in the big picture though. He is a very good player with a history of winning that is stuck on a perpetual wait-until-next-year team.

He's not a big trash talker - can you imagine the ribbing he takes during his off-season workouts with other NFL players from the U? What did he tell them last spring - 'I'm a non-loser!'?
Old 10-02-2008   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i disagree... il think we've done a good job of slowing down two good rushing attacks in ten and jags. granted garrard and collins (lol) have burnt us some but when its a straight line up and run, we've been decent

i dont have the stats but id guess the last 2 week have been allowing 3.5-4 ypc to the rb's
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read