Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2008   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where's Andre Johnson?

What the heck is going on with AJ? I'm not quesstioning him per say, becasue he is one of the most talented WR's in the game in my opinion. However does anyone have any insight into what's going on?

Steelers: Numbers wise he had a good game, but if I recall correctly it was all late game crap, due too a big lead defensive scheme.

Titans: Targeted many times, with some throws that weren't great but were catchable for a top 5 type reciever.

Jags: Just 40 something yards. Really, just 40 yards!!!!! I didn't see the game, so I don't know the whole story.

Is he bieng triple covered or something, or is this just a freak string of games? Last year when Shaub was in one peice throwing the ball AJ was awesome. Is there more yet to come? I know there's a lot to digest in this post, but any thoughts?

Big Lou
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #2
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer
Default Re: Where's Andre Johnson?

Against the Jags AJ was double-teamed most of the time, which is part of the reason Kevin Walter, who played in the slot most of the game, and Owen Daniels had such big games. The Jags stacked to take away the run, which they did succesfully, and not let AJ beat them deep. The Texans countered with the inside passes to Walter and Daniels, along with a TD pass to Slaton when the split him outside. AJ did have a key 20 yard pass in the fourth quarter drive that resulted in the tying field goal, so overall his presence helped the offense move the ball well. AJ will get his over the course of the season; it just depends on matchups and what the defense tries to take away.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

AJ just has to get in a groove. I think this 4 game home stretch is where he does it. There are some nice stat padding games for him against Detroit and Cincy in particular.
Old 10-01-2008   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
AJ was double-teamed most of the time . . .
I don't know whether to call that a reason, or an excuse. Andre Johnson is supposed to be an elite receiver, making elite receiver money, along the likes of Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Rodney Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson, etc. Those receivers beat double-teams.

He's a good receiver, though. Good enough to actually command a double-team, along the likes of other good receivers, like Plaxico Burress.

But beat a double-team? Or even actually get separation from the defender on a deep ball?

Haven't seen it yet.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't know whether to call that a reason, or an excuse. Andre Johnson is supposed to be an elite receiver, making elite receiver money, along the likes of Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Rodney Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson, etc. Those receivers beat double-teams.

He's a good receiver, though. Good enough to actually command a double-team, along the likes of other good receivers, like Plaxico Burress.

But beat a double-team? Or even actually get separation from the defender on a deep ball?

Haven't seen it yet.
I've seen him do that lots of times, just not so much this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

time in the pocket has been an issue, unless they're looking @ him on quick slants or posts most his routes require time to develop. his straight ahead speed still seems there but I don't see alot of cuts or lateral movement so maybe teams just play off & then close as they react to the ball in flight. if he needs more time to get comfortable thats fine with me eventually he's going to break one then more should follow

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's just too inconsistant ( I could say unreliable, but AJ is a nice guy, I'll cut him a break), to be considered among the elite receivers.
And there has been too many games, too many key or clutch opportunites where he's had a chance to make a play which would result in a positive outcome for the Texans in a game, and he just dropped the ball. Figuratively and literally. Like last week in Nashville.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2008   #8
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think he's just too inconsistant ( I could say unreliable, but AJ is a nice guy, I'll cut him a break), to be considered among the elite receivers.
And there has been too many games, too many key or clutch opportunites where he's had a chance to make a play which would result in a positive outcome for the Texans in a game, and he just dropped the ball. Figuratively and literally. Like last week in Nashville.
Its because there is always more than one guy on him, Its because we are playing guys like David Anderson instead of Davis and Walter, this looks to be changing a bit, but Andre will get it together....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!

Last edited by WesmanTexanfan; 10-01-2008 at 09:52 PM.
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #9
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
inconsistent like T.O.? he's fine, he made it to the probowl with carr, doesn't that say enough
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
inconsistent like T.O.? he's fine, he made it to the probowl with carr, doesn't that say enough
Dwelling on the past, are we?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
What the heck is going on with AJ? I'm not quesstioning him per say, becasue he is one of the most talented WR's in the game in my opinion. However does anyone have any insight into what's going on?
No insight here, but I would guess that Johnson isn't 100% back from his knee surgery. He missed all but a handful of plays in the preseason, and doesn't look as explosive as last season.
Old 10-01-2008   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah... y'all don't over analyze this one.
The answer is simple.
I drafted AJ as the #1 receiver on my fantasy team.

Mystery Solved.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Yeah... y'all don't over analyze this one.
The answer is simple.
I drafted AJ as the #1 receiver on my fantasy team.

Mystery Solved.
Switch him to your #2 receiver. The answer is simple

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #14
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet if we all benched him he would have a big game..

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #15
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I bet if we all benched him he would have a big game..
Yeh, but what's worse in fantasy football when you have a guy start and he puts up 2 points, or when you bench them and they put up 30?

A quandry for the ages!!!!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #16
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

AJ could still be hampered somewhat by his knee injury. Like an earlier poster said, I haven't seen a lot of hard lateral movement out of him this season. I'm sure he's frustrated over not getting the ball more, but I think if other teams are going to double team him and that leaves someone else open, so be it. One thing I will say- towards the end of last season I was noticing that while Andre Davis would go up for a reception, he would fight tooth and nail with the defender to get the ball. I didn't see so much of that from AJ. I don't know if he has been on the losing end of games so long that he has lost some heart. I hope not. I think that the more we have luck going to our other receivers, the more other teams will have to take them into account and that should open up some more opportunities for AJ.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yeh, but what's worse in fantasy football when you have a guy start and he puts up 2 points, or when you bench them and they put up 30?

A quandry for the ages!!!!!!!
Ummm...sorta like me benching Walter last week in favor of Bowe.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read