Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2008   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just rewatched Jacks game

Different likelihoods certainly. Sadly that wasn't reality.

Maybe when the Texans start coming through in the clutch when they have the chance the attitudes will change. Until then, some fans don't take pride in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Old 10-01-2008   #22
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I too flinched at that...truth hurts.

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open receiver w/ the same end result.
I just watched the game myself and after watching this play a few times, I thought to myself...now would have been the perfect time to have Weaver or any DL drop into coverage. If you drop a DL back into coverage on that play, you at least have a someone between the 1st down line and the QB. Once DeMeco covered Taylor in the flat, the whole middle to right side of the field was open and Garrard wisely used his feet to move the chains. Richard Smith was just outcoached again.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #23
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Ouch. Bennet needs to wake up, and soon, otherwise Peyton is going to shred us. Honestly, sometimes I was actually happy to see Faggins on the field.
You sir, have a sick sense of humor...
Old 10-02-2008   #24
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post

After Ryans got hurt I was surprised Bently was subbed in at MLB. I would of though they would of slided Diles to the middle and put Bently on the outside. After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.
If they slide meco to OLB, I may weep. If you do that, there is no way you should have passed on Pat Willis. Man is an animal, and would make a huge difference in our D.
Old 10-02-2008   #25
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If i remember correctly, Meco was an OLB at Alabama. He was converted to MLB when he hit the pros so i don't think it would be a stretch to put him on the outside if they felt they had to get this kid bentley in there somehow. It likely won't happen though for various reasons.......don't quote me this though.
Agreed. I also agree that it is crazy to move a pro bowl player from his position - but this team has to get the best 11 guys on the field. If that means moving Ryans over, then so be it.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Who are our 3 best linebackers? Whoever they are, we need them on the field.

Really, really badly.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Thompson, Ryans, and Bentley out there.

Use Thompson primarily as a blitzer who gets to move around a lot. Ryans and Bentley have primary responsibility of stopping the run and secondary responsibility of underneath coverage or man to man with the RB's.

We still go with 4 down linemen (Cochran, Okam/Z, Okoye/TJ, MW) but they're just almost always supplemented by Thompson rushing. We go with a scheme where the idea is for most everyone to get penetration and disruption on every play. That should disrupt the run plays as well as get pressure on the QB.

In the secondary, we go with tight man coverage. It's on the safeties to cover the TE.

But... that's just me.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #27
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Really, really badly.

Use Thompson primarily as a blitzer who gets to move around a lot. Ryans and Bentley have primary responsibility of stopping the run and secondary responsibility of underneath coverage or man to man with the RB's.

We still go with 4 down linemen (Cochran, Okam/Z, Okoye/TJ, MW) but they're just almost always supplemented by Thompson rushing. We go with a scheme where the idea is for most everyone to get penetration and disruption on every play. That should disrupt the run plays as well as get pressure on the QB.

In the secondary, we go with tight man coverage. It's on the safeties to cover the TE.

But... that's just me.

I'm with you on almost everything except the bolded. TJ doesn't need to see the field at all...dude's garbage. Get Robinson instead.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2008   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I'm with you on almost everything except the bolded. TJ doesn't need to see the field at all...dude's garbage. Get Robinson instead.
I think TJ's problem is that he's just been used out of position. But I like Robinson, too.
Old 10-02-2008   #29
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I hate to throw judgement on our secondary until we develope some kind of a pass rush.
Fair enough. I admire your patience.
Old 10-02-2008   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ for Okoye's backup.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #31
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think TJ's problem is that he's just been used out of position. But I like Robinson, too.
Agreed.Both(Amobi and TJ) need to stop being treated like stand up DTs and instead gap penetrating DTs.

I also don't think we have the best 3 linebackers on the field.

The lack of player development in our defensive backfield is staggering.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #32
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 10182 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
7. Right now Reeves is our best CB.
Sad but true.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #33
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Agreed.Both(Amobi and TJ) need to stop being treated like stand up DTs and instead gap penetrating DTs.

I also don't think we have the best 3 linebackers on the field.
Agreed on the DT's. How did Okam play last weekend? I know he saw some playing time but, I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to the trenches - I was too busy watching Garrard run all over us.

Best 3 linebackers? Ryans outside, Adibi outside, Bentley at the mike?
Old 10-02-2008   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57959 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
If they slide meco to OLB, I may weep. If you do that, there is no way you should have passed on Pat Willis. Man is an animal, and would make a huge difference in our D.
Tell me about it. Willis was my guy in that draft. I still think Okoye will become a very good player but the thought of Willis and Ryans flying all over the field made me drool.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #35
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Really, really badly.

But... that's just me.

The only problem I see in your analysis is the possibility that Okam is not ready to start. This is assuming that the starters will spend more time on the field than the backups. If you were calling for the type of rotation where the named starter is really insignificant due to the constant substitution of players to keep the line fresh then my point is moot. Otherwise, I believe Zgonina should be the starter until Okam is ready to take over. Okam should still see significant time on the field to gage his progress, that way the coaches will know when he is ready to takeover as the starter.
Old 10-03-2008   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
The only problem I see in your analysis is the possibility that Okam is not ready to start. This is assuming that the starters will spend more time on the field than the backups. If you were calling for the type of rotation where the named starter is really insignificant due to the constant substitution of players to keep the line fresh then my point is moot. Otherwise, I believe Zgonina should be the starter until Okam is ready to take over. Okam should still see significant time on the field to gage his progress, that way the coaches will know when he is ready to takeover as the starter.
I'll go along with that. But right now, Okam seems to be the only guy not getting pushed back consistently. Zgonina has gotten canned several times over the past couple of games and I don't know if he's got what it takes to hold the point of attack like we need. But I'll settle for a rotation of Zgonina and Okam.

I don't want to see TJ in that position because I think he's out of position and I think when he's in there beside Amobi, our run defense becomes very suspect.
Old 10-03-2008   #37
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'd say seeing a flying pig is a whole lot less likely than us stopping Jacksonville on that fourth down.

Being one play away does not equal seeing a pig fly.
You sure about that?
Old 10-04-2008   #38
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll go along with that. But right now, Okam seems to be the only guy not getting pushed back consistently. Zgonina has gotten canned several times over the past couple of games and I don't know if he's got what it takes to hold the point of attack like we need. But I'll settle for a rotation of Zgonina and Okam.

I don't want to see TJ in that position because I think he's out of position and I think when he's in there beside Amobi, our run defense becomes very suspect.
I agree. TJ is playing out of position when he is in at Nose Tackle. He should be in a rotation with Amobi. Then, our 3-technique Tackle would remain fresh during the game. That should help the pass rush and the run defense: the pass rush due to fresh legs at the 3 and run defense due to better run stoppers at the nose.
Old 10-04-2008   #39
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I actually believe in the 24 hr rule after a game, but I've been busy lately and had the chance to rewatch the game again. Just a few things.

Poor technique. Many will say poor coachingand that can be part of it. Out of Garrad 23 completions, 17 or so were between the numbers. Out of those 17, 13 were the same route, the quick slant. Now, when a defender/cb is n press, the 1st deal is to get ur hands on the receiver and re-route the guy. Once u do that, u can't, I repeat, can't let guy get inside leverage. Everytime they needed a completion, they ran the slant, reeves gave up inside technique and its a easy completion. That is very,very poor technique in which the cb gave the qb a easy read.

The obvious, the scamble. There wassnt a person in the stadium who didn't think garrad wasn't going to scramble at the end. Where was the instructions to cup rush?The rush should have been so to surround garrad in the pocket, stay in the lanes and keep him inside without giving up lane integrity. At the end of the game, they gave up the integrity, garrad got loose and hurt the texans. Just a couple of observations. On to the colts game now.
Old 10-04-2008   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I actually believe in the 24 hr rule after a game, but I've been busy lately and had the chance to rewatch the game again. Just a few things.

Poor technique. Many will say poor coachingand that can be part of it. Out of Garrad 23 completions, 17 or so were between the numbers. Out of those 17, 13 were the same route, the quick slant. Now, when a defender/cb is n press, the 1st deal is to get ur hands on the receiver and re-route the guy. Once u do that, u can't, I repeat, can't let guy get inside leverage. Everytime they needed a completion, they ran the slant, reeves gave up inside technique and its a easy completion. That is very,very poor technique in which the cb gave the qb a easy read.

The obvious, the scamble. There wassnt a person in the stadium who didn't think garrad wasn't going to scramble at the end. Where was the instructions to cup rush?The rush should have been so to surround garrad in the pocket, stay in the lanes and keep him inside without giving up lane integrity. At the end of the game, they gave up the integrity, garrad got loose and hurt the texans. Just a couple of observations. On to the colts game now.
Blitzes were telegraphed routinely by stagnant formations that seldom changed during the count. In addition, it seemed that all of the lineman and LBs were trying to rush the QB from the outside instead of up the middle, possibly because they were physically overmatched. They were overpursuing. I wonder if Smith has ever heard of the concept of "spy."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read