Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just rewatched Jacks game

Ugggghh! I had forgotten that we had Jacksonville 4th and 8 on their last drive in the 4th quarter. Man, that game was ours to win.

thoughts:

1. Both Okoye and Robinson did a good job collapsing the pocket most of the day.

2. What's amazing to me is how quickly receivers are open when we drop 7 men. This must be a result of scheme, LBs, and/or safeties not doing their jobs most of the time.

3. Once again, Mario was excellent.

4. Duane Brown was absolutely awesome! He never received help. He picked up blitzes, once even passing the DE to the guard while he came off and got the blitzing CB and drove him out of the play. On Slaton's long run of 13, he made a diving cut block on the Lb to free up the second half of that run.

5. The combination of Briesel and Meyers simply aren't getting the job done in the run or pass game.

6. Bentley should be on the field instead of Diles or Greenwood.

7. Right now Reeves is our best CB.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #2
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just rewatched Jacks game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Ugggghh! I had forgotten that we had Jacksonville 4th and 8 on their last drive in the 4th quarter. Man, that game was ours to win.

thoughts:

1. Both Okoye and Robinson did a good job collapsing the pocket most of the day.

2. What's amazing to me is how quickly receivers are open when we drop 7 men. This must be a result of scheme, LBs, and/or safeties not doing their jobs most of the time.

4. Duane Brown was absolutely awesome! He never received help. He picked up blitzes, once even passing the DE to the guard while he came off and got the blitzing CB and drove him out of the play. On Slaton's long run of 13, he made a diving cut block on the Lb to free up the second half of that run.

5. The combination of Briesel and Meyers simply aren't getting the job done in the run or pass game.

Ouch. Bennet needs to wake up, and soon, otherwise Peyton is going to shred us. Honestly, sometimes I was actually happy to see Faggins on the field.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That doesn't bode well... Not that I'm a Reeves hater, but still.....
Old 10-01-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

thoughts:

Wow! I actually agree with you.
Old 10-01-2008   #5
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I too flinched at that...truth hurts.

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open receiver w/ the same end result.

Last edited by disaacks3; 10-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that one really hurt.

Quote:

thoughts:

Okoye's bad rep. right now is kind of undeserved, although I still question the draft pick based on things completely outside of his control.

Quote:

Scary, ain't it? I think it might be all of the above.

Quote:

Another good draft choice by Smithiak.

Quote:

Biggest reason I wanted to reply. Meyers and Briesel are making our O-line weak in the middle.

Quote:

Yep. Is Bentley the one who came in real shortly for Ryans and had a couple good tackles? I don't know about moving Ryans over, but that guy needs to be on the field somewhere.

Quote:

Ouch. No, double-ouch. Bennett needs to get it together. Still hoping for a healthy return for D-Rob.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #7
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

These two points in particular jumped out at me. There were a couple of plays that Mario was an RCH away from pancaking Garrard. He was a factor all game long so I think to say that MW was excellent is absolutely correct.

I didn't watch too much of Brown as an individual but I did notice that his name was never called which to me is the biggest statement about a "big ugly's" play. It was a nice change of pace after the Pittsburgh game. I really felt for the big guy during that one.
Old 10-01-2008   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Ouch. Bennet needs to wake up, and soon, otherwise Peyton is going to shred us. Honestly, sometimes I was actually happy to see Faggins on the field.
that is until you saw him whiffing on a tackle during that fake punt....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yeah, that one really hurt.

Okoye's bad rep. right now is kind of undeserved, although I still question the draft pick based on things completely outside of his control.

Scary, ain't it? I think it might be all of the above.

Another good draft choice by Smithiak.

Biggest reason I wanted to reply. Meyers and Briesel are making our O-line weak in the middle.

Yep. Is Bentley the one who came in real shortly for Ryans and had a couple good tackles? I don't know about moving Ryans over, but that guy needs to be on the field somewhere.

Ouch. No, double-ouch. Bennett needs to get it together. Still hoping for a healthy return for D-Rob.
If i remember correctly, Meco was an OLB at Alabama. He was converted to MLB when he hit the pros so i don't think it would be a stretch to put him on the outside if they felt they had to get this kid bentley in there somehow. It likely won't happen though for various reasons.......don't quote me this though.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the highlights. How many times in a ROW did JVille scramble Garrard out of the pocket and get at least 5+ yards? Ouch

Fool me once, etc etc
Old 10-01-2008   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I too flinched at that...truth hurts.

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open reeiver w/ the same end result.
I think this is the play that Mario was standing up between the guard and tackle on the left . Thompson was right next to him standing up . Earl Cochran did an inside move from the RE position and Garrard saw nothing but open field .

After the play the announcer said ... sometimes you can get to cute . That's not cute that's ugly .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #12
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think this is the play that Mario was standing up between the guard and tackle on the left . Thompson was right next to him standing up . Earl Cochran did an inside move from the RE position and Garrard saw nothing but open field .

After the play the announcer said ... sometimes you can get to cute . That's not cute that's ugly .
That was not the 4th down play. The play you are referring to was a little earlier in the drive--Jax had a 3rd and 10 from our 48 with 4:54 to go (per the play-by-play). Had we stopped them there, they probably punt given the time and field position. But that's the play where Mario was standing and then everyone rushed to the right and nobody had contain to the left and Garrard trotted for the first down.

The 4th and 8 play was a classic example of the DT's losing middle contain. They both blew past (or got pushed past) Garrard and got bunched in with the DEs behind him. Had one of them done their jobs correctly, they would have at least been in front of Garrard. But neithed did, so all the linemen (OL and DL) ended up behind Garrard, letting him run in whatever direction he pleased.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

thoughts:
Think how different the attitude of this board would be if we would of stopped them on that one 4th down play.

Quote:
I really like this Robinson kid. Him and Okoye will only get better.

Quote:
Our OLB's are horrific!!!

Quote:
He is the MAN!!

Quote:
Passing on Mendenhall is looking smarter and smarter.

Quote:
Briesel really makes me (miss) Weary.

Quote:
After Ryans got hurt I was surprised Bently was subbed in at MLB. I would of though they would of slided Diles to the middle and put Bently on the outside. After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.

Quote:
I hate to throw judgement on our secondary until we develope some kind of a pass rush.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No doubt about it. Vinny and I were texting back and forth, and I told him that the 4th and 8 was going to haunt us if we couldn't stop it. Our current defense doesn't seem to be able to fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. That's gotta' change if we want to win any games this season.

Thanks for the game re-cap, too!
Old 10-01-2008   #15
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.
Ryans is too entrenched at the Mike for them to make that kind of a move but I really wonder if that wouldn't be our most productive combination of linebackers. Hopefully we get to at least see some glimpses of Adibi soon.
Old 10-01-2008   #16
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Thanks for the game re-crap, too!
Fixed it for you.

But seriously, nice recap dale.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #17
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yup. Our future still has Dunta in it. How he comes back and how close he gets his form back to where he was before the injury is huge. Not to mention Molden should hopefully have a say in the #2 spot. Bennett is looking more and more like depth. Maybe its just a bad spell.. but we will see. Then we still have to draft a top playmaking saftey or get one in free agency. Our secondary right now is knowhere where it will be 12 months from now.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #18
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

thoughts:

Good stuff.

The one on D.Brown really excites me, so I guess we can now put the LT as a need to a rest.

I knew coming into this year that Brisel was going to suck, I'm disappointed that Myers is also in that sucky class that his RG is in.

I think we should put Bently as our SLB, and Adibi as our WLB. Hopefully our coaches are considering it, I can't stand another week of whiff tackling.

Number 7 is really saying alot... Bennett and co. must be really sucking if you're saying Reeves is playing on a another level then they are.... considering how he got burned and picked on the whole game.

Hopefully now people will lay off Okoye, I think he's going to start turning it up last Mario did last year... it would help if he had a competent DT next to him. Thank god TJ is out now and Zgnonia is in... this will work for now.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Think how different the attitude of this board would be if we would of stopped them on that one 4th down play.
If pigs had wings they could fly. But pigs don't, and the Texans didn't - as usual. The attitude is justified.
Old 10-01-2008   #20
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If pigs had wings they could fly. But pigs don't, and the Texans didn't - as usual. The attitude is justified.
I'd say seeing a flying pig is a whole lot less likely than us stopping Jacksonville on that fourth down.

Being one play away does not equal seeing a pig fly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read