Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2008   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anthony Weaver makes $6,200,000.00 this year

Er, I don't really have a point. I'm just saying. I hadn't glanced at the player salaries in a couple of months, and this just kind of made my jaw drop. I know it's not news - but... my god.

I mean, my GOD.

Earl Cochran was finally healthy enough to be activated this week - and he actually got a little bit of pressure. At this point, I would be totally okay with Weaver putting his six-million dollar ass on the bench and letting Earl start. How could it turn out ANY WORSE than it has so far? We all know Weaver is not a pass-rusher, but at his BEST he's been mediocre against the run - so why not trot Earl out there? Couldn't hurt, right?

RIGHT??

I need pills. The defensive line is killing my soul.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #2
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anthony Weaver makes $6,200,000.00 this year

Just another brilliant FA signing by the FO
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Just another brilliant FA signing by the FO
This is on Kubiak, this is his boy.
But for the record Rick Smith hadn't arrived on the local scene until after Kubiak picked up this guy in FA.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

As is common with almost any signing, the board in general was as excited to get this guy as Kubiak. Of course, the professionals are supposed to be better at this than the collective consciousness here.
Old 09-30-2008   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, 1 million dollars a tackle...
Old 09-30-2008   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its not like we could cut him and get that all as cap room. And its not like we're personally paying his salary. Frankly, I'm glad he's getting tons of McNair's money. McNair is a good businessman, and hopefully he is getting angry that non-producers are taking his hard earned money.

Sure he deserves to be either restructured or cut eventually, but as for now, his contract is what it is. Its not beneficial enough for us to cut him, so we've just got to hope he starts playing better
Old 09-30-2008   #7
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

There is an Anthony Weaver on this team? Making over 6 mill this year?

Where is he - someone needs to point him out to me. I don't think I have heard his name called once during a game or even seen him on TV during the game.

Are you sure he is on the Texans?

(I would add a sarcasm smiley, but had no idea where to find it.)
Old 09-30-2008   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Er, I don't really have a point. I'm just saying. I hadn't glanced at the player salaries in a couple of months, and this just kind of made my jaw drop. I know it's not news - but... my god.

I mean, my GOD.

Earl Cochran was finally healthy enough to be activated this week - and he actually got a little bit of pressure. At this point, I would be totally okay with Weaver putting his six-million dollar ass on the bench and letting Earl start. How could it turn out ANY WORSE than it has so far? We all know Weaver is not a pass-rusher, but at his BEST he's been mediocre against the run - so why not trot Earl out there? Couldn't hurt, right?

RIGHT??

I need pills. The defensive line is killing my soul.
Lol, even if he added his total production from last year to this year, he's still only actually earned about 1/300th of that.

The david carr of the defense....just absolutely stealing McNair's money.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #9
will742
Nukkkk

Rep Power: 102 will742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to will742

I just threw up a little.
will742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Not defending Weaver at all here. He's been a total bust.

But still, hindsight comes into play here. If Kubiak knew beforehand that Weaver was going play like he is, he wouldn't have signed him. FA signings are just like draft picks, they are crap-shoots. You don't have a crystal ball in your back pocket.

IMO, FA signings, in general, are bad idea. No matter how good they were beforehand, once they get the big contract, there goes the incentive to perform.

I'm not excusing Kubiak here. It was his signing, and Weaver is making him look bad. But I'll best there's no one in the world that knows that more then Kubiak.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

But still, hindsight comes into play here. If Kubiak knew beforehand that Weaver was going play like he is, he wouldn't have signed him. FA signings are just like draft picks, they are crap-shoots. You don't have a crystal ball in your back pocket.
actually signing a guy with 3 years of game film under his belt is totally different than drafting a rookie that has never played against the stronger quicker players of the NFL. Bobby Grier has done a miserable job scouting NFL FA players to date.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sticking with the Smiles, Lollipops and Unicorns theme.... At least Weaver is a Jimi Hendirx and Led Zeppelin fan...
Old 09-30-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm sticking with the Smiles, Lollipops and Unicorns theme.... At least Weaver is a Jimi Hendirx and Led Zeppelin fan...
Figures...
Old 09-30-2008   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Figures...
<------I'm sporting solidity with Celina.... BTW, nice Kubes, "Mr. Team Rainbow"
Old 09-30-2008   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
actually signing a guy with 3 years of game film under his belt is totally different than drafting a rookie that has never played against the stronger quicker players of the NFL. Bobby Grier has done a miserable job scouting NFL FA players to date.
I think the 3 years of game film dictates how much money goes into the FA signing. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part, I think a player's best years come before he goes on the FA market. They don't ever play like they did pre-FA game film. Once they pocket the signing bonus, they know that's the last big pay-day. No reason to be hungry anymore.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

its all about timing (off the field) he's a good guy blessed with outstanding gig so more power to him

if after that 05 season the Texans had any inkling at all that Mario Williams was going to be the pick (addressing DE) they could have upgraded another need, QB using money saved from Weaver signing & canceling Carr extension the Texans could have signed free agent QB Drew Brees

now I'd say he is tied to Richard Smith, who wanted him in the beginning. when one goes so shall the other

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yeah lets not look at what he did in baltimore, I mean that would not be prudent at all. Weaver has sucked and his first two years he was injured, add that to the fact that I am sure his numbers were completely inflated by the players he played around and then you add the Richard smith defensive scheme into the mix.

Again Hind sight ........................

Last edited by Specnatz; 09-30-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

And he is earning every single nickle...................NOT.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IMO, FA signings, in general, are bad idea. No matter how good they were beforehand, once they get the big contract, there goes the incentive to perform.

I'm not excusing Kubiak here. It was his signing, and Weaver is making him look bad. But I'll best there's no one in the world that knows that more then Kubiak.
He was never that good in Baltimore. We gave him way to much money and over paid for what he was worth. Now we're having to stick with him even though it's like he isn't even out there on the field. Weaver is one of the wost signings that we've ever had.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #20
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As has Amobi? why isnt any one on the guy who said he wanted 14 sacks this year.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read