Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2008   #1
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans vs Raiders

My first post here, so I'd like to start off by saying hello from California

I guess one of the first things you guys will notice is my avatar, yes that is Raider and Texans logo you guys see.

I am a Raiders fan that was born in a family full of Niners fans, and while my family and friends went for USC, I rooted for WVU. So yeah, I guess you guy's could say I was sort of a rebel. Slaton was my favorite player from WVU, and when he was drafted by the Texans, I automatically became a Texans fan

So yeah, I guess you guys could call me a bandwagoner, but I usually only hear that term for winning teams(not saying the Texans wont win).

To sum this post up, I'll be attending the Raiders vs Texans game, rooting for both teams; and hopefully I'll see some of you guys their. That game is not until the 21st of December, plenty of time to get known around these boards.

*EDIT* Great start, I think I posted in the wrong forum

Last edited by Kulluminatii; 09-29-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs Raiders

Welcome aboard, I don't think we have a bandwagon yet so I find you not guilty on that count.

We are however familiar with fans who come on board in support of an individual players..... players come and go but Texans fans stay forever.

Look forward to getting to know you some.

And yeah, probably is more a Tailgate kind of post.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Well you mentioned Slaton so let's make this the right forum.

The Texans have been looking for a good back for a long time. It was mentioned on another thread that the Texans should try to use Slaton like the Saints use Reggie Bush. Do you think he has the kind of all around ability to make him a threat as runner and catcher out of the backfield as well as a slot receiver?
Old 09-30-2008   #4
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I personally think Slaton is heavily underrated in the NFL, I still wish that the Raiders would of got him over McFadden, but knowing Al, I doubted that would happen; he always goes for the "stars" which usually turn out to be overrated.

I mean DMAC is good, but Slaton is way better. He proved that against Titans, which at that time I think was ranked 3rd in Defense. And then during the Jags game, from what I have read, he recieved 80+ yards as well as carrying the ball for 33. Thank god I have him on my fantasy team.

When comparing Slaton to Bush, I think that is wrong. It took Reggie his whole rookie season to start playing like he does this season, whereas Slaton is already showing signs of being a great RB.
Old 09-30-2008   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
When comparing Slaton to Bush, I think that is wrong. It took Reggie his whole rookie season to start playing like he does this season, whereas Slaton is already showing signs of being a great RB.
Bush still doesn't have any rushes over 40 yards, right? Catches, maybe, rushes, no. Slaton, otoh, already has a 50 yarder.

BUT... this is what scares me about Slaton. He doesn't get you consistent yards. He'll gain 1, lose 1, gain 2, lose 1, gain 50, lose 3. So his average looks sexy and he has a lot of yards, but those stuffs can be drive killers. I'm hoping that those stuffs are just problems with the run blocking and as the line gets together and improves, those will go away and he'll start being more consistent.

If not, then we really need a 2 headed monster situation with a big bruiser who can't break the long one but who doesn't get stuffed in the backfield.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #6
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome aboard. Obviously I am living in California. However, I lived in Houston for almost 20 years. Houston is my home and the Texans are my team. No doubt about that! I am also a Raider Hater. I have won more bets with all of the die hard Raider fans in ths area. Pretty easy pickings. The Texans own the Raiders. Once in a while, I travel down to your town. Maybe I'll look you up sometime. Again, welcome to the best board in the NFL.
Old 09-30-2008   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

A Texans AND Raiders fan. Wow, that has to be painful.
Old 09-30-2008   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Well you mentioned Slaton so let's make this the right forum.

The Texans have been looking for a good back for a long time. It was mentioned on another thread that the Texans should try to use Slaton like the Saints use Reggie Bush. Do you think he has the kind of all around ability to make him a threat as runner and catcher out of the backfield as well as a slot receiver?
Well, he showed against the Jags he can be a threat at WR, and it wasn't even slot

Well, sort of.
Old 09-30-2008   #9
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I can relate! Raider fan since the Madden Era!
Old 09-30-2008   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Bush still doesn't have any rushes over 40 yards, right? Catches, maybe, rushes, no. Slaton, otoh, already has a 50 yarder.

BUT... this is what scares me about Slaton. He doesn't get you consistent yards. He'll gain 1, lose 1, gain 2, lose 1, gain 50, lose 3. So his average looks sexy and he has a lot of yards, but those stuffs can be drive killers. I'm hoping that those stuffs are just problems with the run blocking and as the line gets together and improves, those will go away and he'll start being more consistent.

If not, then we really need a 2 headed monster situation with a big bruiser who can't break the long one but who doesn't get stuffed in the backfield.
Yeah, but at least it isnt the good ol, +1, +2, +1, +1, +o, -1, -1, +0, +1, +5(woohoo), -3. Ill take a playmaker who gets chunks of yards over say a Dayne, who is absolutly no threat.
Old 09-30-2008   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am thinking that some of those losses are on the line. In some of those plays, the line is getting caved in. The middle of the line just gets crushed, and Slaton barely has a chance to touch the ball before he is tackled.

Ultimately, the Texans run offense has to reduce those stuffs, between the running back and the offensive line. I am hoping that this is something that the Gibbs can fix through more work and not just that our line personnel bites. Too early to tell for sure.
Old 09-30-2008   #12
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome to the forum. Your coach just got fired, btw.
Old 09-30-2008   #13
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:

True, he isn't consistent, but then again, its hard to be consistent when run blocking isn't. This is his rookie year, and he already has done exceptionally well, he can only go upwards from here(I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat
Welcome aboard. Obviously I am living in California. However, I lived in Houston for almost 20 years. Houston is my home and the Texans are my team. No doubt about that! I am also a Raider Hater. I have won more bets with all of the die hard Raider fans in ths area. Pretty easy pickings. The Texans own the Raiders. Once in a while, I travel down to your town. Maybe I'll look you up sometime. Again, welcome to the best board in the NFL.
I wish I could say something in retaliation, but it is hard to when your team sucks. The Raiders have mostly everything there, just need a few receivers that can get open and make plays, and a o-line that can give our young QB a few more seconds, and you got a pretty powerful team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Indeed it is eriadoc. Both teams have very strong points(such as the running game w/ the Raiders, Slaton, and even Schaub as of Sunday's game); but those small negatives they have is what kills them.

Watching these last two Raiders games have been brutal, when your team could of won, should of won, but didn't win, it hurts big time. If the NFL changed the game to allow only 3 quarters instead of 4, Raiders would be winning a lot more of there games.

Texans, unfortunately none of their games have been broadcasted here, so the only time I can see their games is either when the game is over and I see highlights, or if I look it up at nfl.com. Man, that game against the Jaguars, wow, that hurt, I didn't even see the game until after it was over, having both my teams lose in such a bad way threw me off the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman
I can relate! Raider fan since the Madden Era!
I wish I was as lucky as you, I wasn't even born until Art Shell's 1st go at head coach. So I can't really reminisce about the good ol' days of being a Raider fan, since there really haven't been any=\.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx
Welcome to the forum. Your coach just got fired, btw.
Wow, I wouldn't have believed you, but I just got home from college right now and checked, and I still can't believe it. I can't believe how Al thinks we will have a winning team by switching head coaches on a yearly basis, seriously, I doubt he even thinks anymore. I have never wished death on anyone, but wow, Al is cutting it close.

So much for the Raiders even having a chance anymore, I wasn't panicking before, but yeah, now is a good time
Old 09-30-2008   #14
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My first post here, so I'd like to start off by saying hello from California

I guess one of the first things you guys will notice is my avatar, yes that is Raider and Texans logo you guys see.

I am a Raiders fan that was born in a family full of Niners fans, and while my family and friends went for USC, I rooted for WVU. So yeah, I guess you guy's could say I was sort of a rebel. Slaton was my favorite player from WVU, and when he was drafted by the Texans, I automatically became a Texans fan

So yeah, I guess you guys could call me a bandwagoner, but I usually only hear that term for winning teams(not saying the Texans wont win).

To sum this post up, I'll be attending the Raiders vs Texans game, rooting for both teams; and hopefully I'll see some of you guys their. That game is not until the 21st of December, plenty of time to get known around these boards.

*EDIT* Great start, I think I posted in the wrong forum
Don't worry...there are already plenty of people here who will say that for you!

Slaton looks to be gooood atm. Real exciting...will surely only get better in the next year if he keeps healthy, and our line gets the blocking a bit better for him. Still think we need to combo him with a bigger back to get a 1-2 punch going, so Slaton can focus on breaking free on bigger outside plays, instead of getting stuffed, and ending up in a retirement home with DD/DW talking about how much running into a brick wall of 300lbs giants hurts you.

Welcome aboard the newly formed Texans bandwagon! The good times start here!
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #15
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Yeah, if Slaton had just a little bit more protection, wow, he would produce amazing results. But we can't expect him to be the one carrying this team, everyone has to step it up, I see the potential there, but the execution lacks a lot. Same thing with the Raiders, everything is there except execution.
Old 09-30-2008   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a question:

Does Al Davis do some sort of exercise to build up his craziness or did it all just explode out into the media one day back in the mid 90's?

Also, Slaton is pretty awesome, and I have to admit that I wasn't happy that he was the RB we got from the draft. I am glad he has proven me wrong (more than a few times now).
Old 09-30-2008   #17
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

I think Al is more desperate than anything. That and the fact that he is extremely old is making him make these stupid decisions. He knows he doesn't have much time on this earth, and he desperately wants as many Superbowl victories as he can while he is here. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that firing head coaches each year won't help him reach that goal one bit.
Old 09-30-2008   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I should be there. Will be 3rd year in a row and a lot of fun...

Video of pictures from last year, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDJzx_Dqys4.

hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #19
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Al is more desperate than anything. That and the fact that he is extremely old is making him make these stupid decisions. He knows he doesn't have much time on this earth, and he desperately wants as many Superbowl victories as he can while he is here. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that firing head coaches each year won't help him reach that goal one bit.
Al Davis makes me love Bob McNair so much. Man, I truly feel for yall out there with an owner like him. Watching the Raider organization has become like witnessing a train wreck. Listening to his press conference today was not only absurd, but depressing. I'm a little bit of a Raider fan myself, not because I ever lived out there but my favorite band for many years was Slayer, and they are die hard Raider fans, so take that for whatever it's worth. It helped me get through the no NFL for Houston days anyway.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #20
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

I doubt it would be hard to spot you hollywood_texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Al Davis makes me love Bob McNair so much. Man, I truly feel for yall out there with an owner like him. Watching the Raider organization has become like witnessing a train wreck. Listening to his press conference today was not only absurd, but depressing. I'm a little bit of a Raider fan myself, not because I ever lived out there but my favorite band for many years was Slayer, and they are die hard Raider fans, so take that for whatever it's worth. It helped me get through the no NFL for Houston days anyway.
Lol, yeah, this organization is a shell of its former self. Its the laughing-stock of the NFL, no one takes Al or the Raiders seriously these days.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read