Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-29-2008   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bah007's Top 25

This is my first top 25 of this season.

Warning: I rank teams based on their body of work, NOT on how good I think they are. I do not reward (or hurt) teams for their future schedule, only for the games that they have already played.

1. Oklahoma (4-0)
2. Alabama (5-0)
3. Penn St (5-0)
4. Missouri (4-0)
5. Texas (4-0)
6. LSU (4-0)
7. USF (5-0)
8. BYU (4-0)
9. Utah (5-0)
10. USC (2-1)
11. Oklahoma St (4-0)
12. Georgia (4-1)
13. Texas Tech (4-0)
14. Florida (3-1)
15. Vanderbilt (4-0)
16. Virgina Tech (4-1)
17. Ohio St (4-1)
18. Auburn (4-1)
19. Boise St (3-0)
20. Connecticut (5-0)
21. Kansas (3-1)
22. Michigan St (4-1)
23. Kentucky (4-0)
24. Oregon (4-1)
25. Ball St (5-0)

Just Out:
Wake Forest
North Carolina
Northwestern
Tulsa
Maryland
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bah007's Top 25

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2008   #3
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tulsa-Rice should be interesting this weekend, the combined score could be over 100. Those arent the most defense oriented teams out there.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have LSU in front of Texas.

Penn State in front of Missouri? Seriously?

Also, I am not sure why you have Auburn so low. I would have them at around 13. I am bias, so sue me.
Old 09-29-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I would have LSU in front of Texas.

Penn State in front of Missouri? Seriously?

Also, I am not sure why you have Auburn so low. I would have them at around 13. I am bias, so sue me.
Texas over LSU may have been a knee-jerk reaction because of this past week. LSU wasn't too impressive against Miss St & Texas completely destroyed Arkansas. Other than that, I think they are pretty close.

It was almost a coin flip between Penn St & Mizzou. I have them really close, but I think the Nittany Lions have a way better defense so I gave them the edge.

Auburn has beaten nobody & they barely escaped against two bad teams (Tenn & Miss St).
Old 09-29-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Texas over LSU may have been a knee-jerk reaction because of this past week. LSU wasn't too impressive against Miss St & Texas completely destroyed Arkansas. Other than that, I think they are pretty close.

It was almost a coin flip between Penn St & Mizzou. I have them really close, but I think the Nittany Lions have a way better defense so I gave them the edge.

Auburn has beaten nobody & they barely escaped against two bad teams (Tenn & Miss St).
I wouldn't consider Arkansas to be a "good" team. Beating three teams 52-10 is awfully consistent but I would wait to see them play Oklahoma before saying one way or the other. On the other hand, I know how talented LSU is.

If you are really surprised by those close games Auburn and LSU won, you don't really know SEC football. That's just how it goes in the toughest division in college football.
Old 09-29-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

looks pretty good, but I have a feeling a couple of those ACC teams work their way into the top 20 by seasons end

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2008   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i worry about USF. looks like the same old team each year. stink up the joint and barely beat FIU, come out for a tough road game and demolish NC State the next week. i sense the same old Jim Leavitt philosophy of playing down to the competition is in play big time this year
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wouldn't consider Arkansas to be a "good" team. Beating three teams 52-10 is awfully consistent but I would wait to see them play Oklahoma before saying one way or the other. On the other hand, I know how talented LSU is.

If you are really surprised by those close games Auburn and LSU won, you don't really know SEC football. That's just how it goes in the toughest division in college football.
I don't consider Ark to be a good team at all.

Texas has not played OU yet so that is not reflected in my rankings. I mentioned that I don't rank teams based on how talented they may or may not be, only on what they have done.

I'm not suprised by the close games in the SEC. But Tennessee & Mississippi St look like bad teams, regardless of their conference allegiance. And Auburn had trouble with both of them.

The SEC can hardly claim to be the far and away best conference in college football anymore. Those days are over. They are still the best, but the Big XII is right up there also.
Old 09-29-2008   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

top to bottom there's no topping the SEC. even Vanderbilt looks like a team no one wants to play nowadays. Big XII has some big-hitters offensively at the top, sorta bleeds into mediocrity past that
Old 09-29-2008   #11
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The SEC can hardly claim to be the far and away best conference in college football anymore. Those days are over. They are still the best, but the Big XII is right up there also.
I definitely agree. At the top, Alabama is doing some amazing stuff, but other than that the Big 12 takes the cake. The four offensive juggernauts in Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas and Tech will be hard to stop.

P.S. - I am looking forward to the Oklahoma and Texas game. Like I said, it will really gauge both teams, and very likely could end up being an ESPN Classic.
Old 09-29-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I definitely agree. At the top, Alabama is doing some amazing stuff, but other than that the Big 12 takes the cake. The four offensive juggernauts in Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas and Tech will be hard to stop.

P.S. - I am looking forward to the Oklahoma and Texas game. Like I said, it will really gauge both teams, and very likely could end up being an ESPN Classic.
I really don't see how we can beat OU this year. They have looked nearly perfect so far.
Old 09-30-2008   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would consider Reesing and KU an offensive juggernaut. I don't think we are in the same class as that group, but our offense is for sure. If you want a picture of our schedule to round out the season, clip out the AP's top 7 teams - we play 4 of them still this year after losing by a last second field goal to the #10 team on the road after dominating much of the game.
Old 09-30-2008   #14
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Miss St isnt very good on offense but their defense is good enough to keep them in most games. I wouldnt set off alarms for winning a close game against them.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Miss St isnt very good on offense but their defense is good enough to keep them in most games. I wouldnt set off alarms for winning a close game against them.
Probably the only reason you think that is because Miss St is in the SEC. If that is not the case, then tell me and I will take it back, but it probably is.

They are giving up 4.6 yards per carry & 13.5 yards per completion. Not the worst numbers ever, but hardly worth consideration as a good defense.

Their d-line provides a good pass rush & their FS (Pegues, I think) makes a lot of plays. Beyond that, I'm not impressed.
Old 09-30-2008   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
looks pretty good, but I have a feeling a couple of those ACC teams work their way into the top 20 by seasons end
I have to agree. North Carolina is a team that can suprise some people and break that top 20 this year. I also think Florida St will make it's way back in the top 20 this year. Miami may still have a year to go, but I could be completely wrong and the Hurricanes could beat FSU this weekend. Florida State at Miami games are always great games. Atleast this time we play in Dolphin Stadium. Better than the Orange Bowl.

I think it's a good top 25 bah. Everybody has a different one, and you don't have any way out there teams.

I'm not a big fan of Boise State, Kentucky, or Oregon. Kentucky and Boise State don't have any losses but I need to see more of them. Oregon is overrated IMO.

I really like Ball St. I'd put them in my top 20, but after Love got a career ending injury I need to see how they bounce back from that. That QB Nate Davis is a good football player. He will no doubt be an NFL QB. He's got "it". You can see it when you watch the team. No idea where he is considered round wise at this point but he looks like atleast a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Robert Marve (herein referred to as Robert Mavre) looks like the real deal at QB for Miami. didn't look that good against NC though, despite the good completion %
Old 09-30-2008   #18
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Texas is way too far up. 11 or 12 would be more suitable.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Texas is way too far up. 11 or 12 would be more suitable.
I'm an Aggie and I can't even bring myself to put them that low. I'm not sure if they are top 5 quality, but definitely under 10 I think.
Old 09-30-2008   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
I'm an Aggie and I can't even bring myself to put them that low. I'm not sure if they are top 5 quality, but definitely under 10 I think.
Rice, Florida Atlantic, and UTEP are not considered admirable opponents. You can definitely argue also that Arkansas sucks. What on earth have they done to deserve a top 10 ranking?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read