Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-28-2008   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default the hulk in trouble again

Hochuli makes another questionable call
4 hours, 6 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintCHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Referee Ed Hochuli was at the center of another questionable call Sunday, flagging Julius Peppers for a roughing-the-passer penalty that wiped out Carolina’s interception return for a touchdown in the first quarter against Atlanta.

After Matt Ryan’s pass was intercepted by Richard Marshall, Hochuli threw a flag and announced Peppers made a helmet-to-helmet hit on Ryan. It erased the touchdown and gave the Falcons a first down on a drive that ended with a punt.

Replays showed Peppers made contact as Ryan released the ball, and appeared to hit him first with his shoulder.

“Ed came over and explained to me, he said that I hit him with my helmet,” Peppers said. “He said I hit him with my helmet in his head and that’s what he called. It wasn’t really roughing, late hit. It was just my helmet hit his helmet, so it was just one of those calls that, you know, player safety is what that was about.

“I’m not trying to hit him with my helmet. I’m not trying to hurt him, but you know, it’s football so I’m going for the tackle so helmets are going to get hit sometimes.”

Fans booed loudly when the play was shown on the video boards at Bank of America Stadium, and Carolina coach John Fox said after the game that was the only footage he’d seen of the play.

“I can’t comment, No. 1. But No. 2, I didn’t really see it,” Fox said. “I saw the replay, and I wasn’t real fond of it then.”

Two weeks ago, Hochuli’s missed call helped Denver’s comeback 39-38 win over San Diego.

Denver quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, the ball slipped from his hand and a San Diego player recovered. But Hochuli, who has refereed two Super Bowls, ruled it an incomplete pass. He later admitted it was the wrong call.

Denver retained possession, scored a touchdown and then won with a successful 2-point conversion.
Old 09-28-2008   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the hulk in trouble again

sounds like a call that is always going to be called
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

His nickname is GUNS!
Old 09-28-2008   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Like any other referee in the league wouldn't have flagged that.

When the league tells the referees that the most important thing is to protect the QB, then calls like this are gonna happen.

Blame the rules, not the ref.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

After the Broncos game, every questionable call he makes will be heavily scrutinized. If I were him I would probably call it quits after this season.
Old 09-28-2008   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
After the Broncos game, every questionable call he makes will be heavily scrutinized. If I were him I would probably call it quits after this season.
No way. He's too good of a ref (in my opinion) to hang it up. He did make a really really bad call against SD, but I think he's a big enough man to live that down and not swallow his whistle because he's afraid to make the wrong call. That's not the GUNS way.
Old 09-28-2008   #7
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No way. He's too good of a ref (in my opinion) to hang it up. He did make a really really bad call against SD, but I think he's a big enough man to live that down and not swallow his whistle because he's afraid to make the wrong call. That's not the GUNS way.
Every man has his breaking point, so we will see. Needless to say, though... one more big mistake like that and the league may hand him his resignation.
Old 09-28-2008   #8
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fire Ed Hochuli!

With all the other "fire this guy" threads going on, I thought this was appropriate. I can't tell you how many times I thought he made bad calls against the Texans and this will make two weeks in a row he's made obviously awful calls to other teams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fire Ed Hochuli!

Its not really a fire ***** thread, till it has its own soap
Old 09-28-2008   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

We already have a thread on this.

Any referee in the league would have made the same call he did. That's what happens when the league tries to create a forcefield around QBs.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 85564 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

ed's one of, if not the best ref in the league. any ref worth his salt would've made the same call because the league has made what he saw a point of emphasis. i like ref's as little as everyone else but "guns" is the most consistant and usually accurate guys the NFL has. i feel bad for the guy, watching 5 minutes of any game this weekend shows worse calls but he's had the poor luck of the controversial calls deciding games.
Old 09-29-2008   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
ed's one of, if not the best ref in the league. any ref worth his salt would've made the same call because the league has made what he saw a point of emphasis. i like ref's as little as everyone else but "guns" is the most consistant and usually accurate guys the NFL has. i feel bad for the guy, watching 5 minutes of any game this weekend shows worse calls but he's had the poor luck of the controversial calls deciding games.
speaking of calls ... or no calls .... I dont recall the JaQ's being called for a single holding penalty ALL DAY.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #13
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
speaking of calls ... or no calls .... I dont recall the JaQ's being called for a single holding penalty ALL DAY.
They got called for one, early on, but that was the only one.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #14
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
So you are saying you would quit your job if you had a little adversity...sounds like you don't have any mental toughness, and well, if that's the case....your last check will be mailed to you next week !
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I didnt go over the game log .... I just didnt recall any being called and noticed several that whould have been. I also missed the first 3 minutes or so of the game.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #16
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Yeah, it was on Milford Brown, the Texans declined it since it was 4th and 4 and then sat around with their thumbs up their butts while JAX's first team offense ran it right through the punt return team.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read