Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2008   #21
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I don't know any other way to say this

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
against tenn we moved the ball well against a real good defense just could'nt quite get it in.
I found the solution to our red zone woes!!

This will be the third season we've had that problem, I don't see it improving, even with Slaton running the way he is. Top ten teams get it done in the red zone. Prove me wrong Texans please!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #22
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Believe it or not, the Texans were actually one of the better teams at scoring in the red zone last year. Fourth in getting TD's according to PFW.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...finalredzn.htm
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #23
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We are at the precipice of another 2005-esque season.

The thing I'm most wondering after 3 weeks of football is whether we intend to keep anyone under 30 points this season.

In our three games we've seen that if our offense sucks we're going to give up 30+ and lose, if our offense is very ordinary we're going to give up 30+ and lose, and now finally if our offense plays well and racks up 27 points without any turnovers or sacks we're going to give up 30+ and lose.

I'm not on a ledge or anything so save your "Oh here come the chicken-little's out to cry about the season being over after 3 games". I can't find enough passion about the Texans to care enough to be crushed by the results today. They are more or less what I expect out of the team every week now. I'm just kind of back in that pattern of wondering how long they're going to let this (our inept defense) go before they do something about it.

I'm wondering if we're going to give up 30 points a game all year long and then get a list of excuses and injuries to explain it and then be looking at 2009 with the same defense talking about "taking it up to the next level" and producing nothing. No sacks, no turnovers, no pressure, no run defense, no pass defense, no containing the QB, no stopping anybody.

This is just embarrassing.
I mentioned this in a post a while back too. Question to me is IF we don't win at least 6 games does it cost Kubiak his job?

Anyway we could lure Ron Wolfe out of retirement to be president of Football operations?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #24
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point i dont care if teh texans suck LOL

Look at the Kanas city and St louis there just happy they got a team LOL ......
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #25
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I mentioned this in a post a while back too. Question to me is IF we don't win at least 6 games does it cost Kubiak his job?

Anyway we could lure Ron Wolfe out of retirement to be president of Football operations?
I say no it doesn't cost him his job, and if it does it's on the D. For one, unlike the Capers/Casserly era, he inhereted an extremely broken team, and made marked improvement in the win column every year under his belt he coached. Two, if this season ends up a six game win or less debacle I believe it will rest firmly on this inept defense. Gary was brought in because our offense SUCKED awfully. You can not say they've done a bad job at elevating this teams offense under his reign. It is markedly better. Gary is relying on guys that are supposed to know how to run a defense and they are blowing it big time. There are way too many first round picks on that D line to suck this bad, it boggles the mind.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I say no it doesn't cost him his job, and if it does it's on the D. For one, unlike the Capers/Casserly era, he inhereted an extremely broken team, and made marked improvement in the win column every year under his belt he coached. Two, if this season ends up a six game win or less debacle I believe it will rest firmly on this inept defense. Gary was brought in because our offense SUCKED awfully. You can not say they've done a bad job at elevating this teams offense under his reign. It is markedly better. Gary is relying on guys that are supposed to know how to run a defense and they are blowing it big time. There are way too many first round picks on that D line to suck this bad, it boggles the mind.
I kinda agree with Vinnie . I dont think Kubiak is on the hot seat unless we have a total melt down as in 2-14 type season. I also think the offense is better this year and should only improve with the young guy's getting more experience (Slaton Brown and Co.).

The defense is another story .... They may not have ever been able to generate a pass rush but they have also never been this poor .... at least in my opinion. Its not just us on this board calling for Smiths beheading , its all over talk radio and media ..... I just hope that Gary is smart enough to cut his losses with the guy before it does cost him his job much like Capers lost his because he put too much faith in his guy's.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #27
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I know the defense sucks. That's a given.

But if any of you actually think there is one smidgeon of a chance that anyone, including Richard Smith, gets fired before the season is over, you got rocks in your head. Anyone worth replacing them now, works for another team. And it just isn't the way it's done in the NFL.

Matt Millen not withstanding.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2008   #28
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I know the defense sucks. That's a given.

But if any of you actually think there is one smidgeon of a chance that anyone, including Richard Smith, gets fired before the season is over, you got rocks in your head. Anyone worth replacing them now, works for another team. And it just isn't the way it's done in the NFL.

Matt Millen not withstanding.
Could Frank Bush do any worse? What about Ray-Ray? Think he could handle it for 12 games or so?
Old 09-29-2008   #29
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Another year of losing games we should have won, dumb ass press conferances, coaches and players alike not doing their jobs, and unrealistic expectations from the fans.

With very few exceptions it's been this way for pro football in Houston since the 60s. I had been hoping for something different from the Texans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Was I the only one that knew the game was over after the flip of the coin in OT?

These types of losses are worse than the blowouts. I got my blood a boiling so high, I ended up with a headache the remainder of the day. That is, until I choked down about a dozen cold beers.
Old 09-29-2008   #31
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Linehan just got fired. Hopefully Kubiak follows him out the door.

If Smith is retained for the rest of the year, its obvious that Kubiak isn't about competing much less winning. He can take his aww shucks demeanor and BS answers/excuses in post-game interviews and shove them up his arse.
Old 09-29-2008   #32
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Was I the only one that knew the game was over after the flip of the coin in OT?
No... there were quite a few of us, I'm sure.

I don't think their D could have stopped us. At the same time, I knew our D couldn't stop them....
Old 09-29-2008   #33
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
No... there were quite a few of us, I'm sure.

I don't think their D could have stopped us. At the same time, I knew our D couldn't stop them....
Agreed!
Old 09-29-2008   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

next up a hungry Colt team coming off a bye week how well does this Texans fare against Peyton Manning & company?

Kubiak: we got to look at film & firgure out how to get pressure on Manning. our run defense looked good but we can't give the Colt offense that much time or they'll pick apart our secondary.....the Colts represent another tough challenge we have to overcome, it just doens't get any easier in this league

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #35
austintexanite
All Pro

No way we have another season like '05, I think this team has shown a lot more than that team ever did. I know it sucks being 0-3 but we did play all three games on the road against some pretty tough competition.

I'm just frustrated at the lack of pass rush, if we had another DE that could put pressure instead of just Mario I think we win yesterday. I actually thought he had Gerrard a couple of times just a hair too late...if only someone was on the other side who provided some fear.
Old 09-29-2008   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

In order for us to hit 500 this year, we have to go 8-5 in our last 13 games. Given the first three games, I don't see it. I really hate to say this, but I see us only winning about 6 or 7 games this year. Kubiac needs to do something to fire up this team or else we are in for another losing season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
No way we have another season like '05, I think this team has shown a lot more than that team ever did. I know it sucks being 0-3 but we did play all three games on the road against some pretty tough competition.

I'm just frustrated at the lack of pass rush, if we had another DE that could put pressure instead of just Mario I think we win yesterday. I actually thought he had Gerrard a couple of times just a hair too late...if only someone was on the other side who provided some fear.
I agree on the pass rush, but when it takes 3 quarters to make an adjustment covering the 10 yard quick slant there really isn't much time to rush.

Honestly, you'd think Smith, Hoke or somebody would take notice after the 3rd or 4th time. But no, it took them until the 4th quarter before they started lining the CB's on the inside shoulder of the WR's.
Old 09-29-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We are at the precipice of another 2005-esque season.

The thing I'm most wondering after 3 weeks of football is whether we intend to keep anyone under 30 points this season.

In our three games we've seen that if our offense sucks we're going to give up 30+ and lose, if our offense is very ordinary we're going to give up 30+ and lose, and now finally if our offense plays well and racks up 27 points without any turnovers or sacks we're going to give up 30+ and lose.

I'm not on a ledge or anything so save your "Oh here come the chicken-little's out to cry about the season being over after 3 games". I can't find enough passion about the Texans to care enough to be crushed by the results today. They are more or less what I expect out of the team every week now. I'm just kind of back in that pattern of wondering how long they're going to let this (our inept defense) go before they do something about it.

I'm wondering if we're going to give up 30 points a game all year long and then get a list of excuses and injuries to explain it and then be looking at 2009 with the same defense talking about "taking it up to the next level" and producing nothing. No sacks, no turnovers, no pressure, no run defense, no pass defense, no containing the QB, no stopping anybody.

This is just embarrassing.

If we were an 8 or 9 win team before the season, I don't see anything so far that has changed that. We've only lost 3 games that we were fully expecting to lose. I'm very disappointed in our start. However, having suffered through 2005, this team is light year's from that. I still expect 8-9 wins and am looking forward to the Richard Smith firing, which needs to happen this season.

I share your frustration for the lack of improvement. However, I don't see regression either- certainly nothing like 2005.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #39
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I really hate to say this, but I see us only winning about 6 or 7 games this year.
Honestly, I think that is being a bit generous.

If the offense can play like they did yesterday, we'll be competitive. If the defense can't do any better than what they did, I guess it won't really matter what the O does. A couple of punts by us and we're sunk. We'll have to score on darn near every posession. That coupled with the lack of a bye week isn't going to be good.

I'm fearful that we're looking at a 3-13 to 5-11 season. That's not be negative based on emotion, that's just resignation to what I feel to be some unfortunate truths.
Old 09-29-2008   #40
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
we can't give the Colt offense that much time or they'll pick apart our secondary
No worries Colts, that secondary FELL apart a long time ago

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read