Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2008   #1
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Official "Bring Dayne Back!" Thread

Slaton has turned out to be everything we wanted. The guy is quick, he is a decent pass blocker (considering his size) and has NFL caliber receiving skills. I can list his positives all day. I expect him to improve even more as the season goes on, as well.

That said, we need the Thunder to go with our Lightning. We need someone to soften up the defense and give Slaton that extra advantage. The Titans have LenWhale for CJ and the Jags have Taylor for MJD. Ahman could have possibly done this job, but he can't even get on the field. Who are we using now? Chris Taylor... someone who is injury prone and too small to be suitable for this role.

I say we give Ron "The Great Tenderizer" Dayne a call. He can get the short yardage carries and knock the wind out of the defense early. To my knowledge he hasn't signed with another team. With the loss of CC Brown we will have a roster spot open, and I for one think we should pick him up.

Discuss
Old 09-28-2008   #2
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 141 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official "Bring Dayne Back!" Thread

I agree completely. This man here knows football. We need somebody to soften up the defense so Slaton can run by them. Pure football genius right here. BRING BACK THE DAYNE TRAIN!!!
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #3
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Slaton has turned out to be everything we wanted. The guy is quick, he is a decent pass blocker (considering his size) and has NFL caliber receiving skills. I can list his positives all day. I expect him to improve even more as the season goes on, as well.

That said, we need the Thunder to go with our Lightning. We need someone to soften up the defense and give Slaton that extra advantage. The Titans have LenWhale for CJ and the Jags have Taylor for MJD. Ahman could have possibly done this job, but he can't even get on the field. Who are we using now? Chris Taylor... someone who is injury prone and too small to be suitable for this role.

I say we give Ron "The Great Tenderizer" Dayne a call. He can get the short yardage carries and knock the wind out of the defense early. To my knowledge he hasn't signed with another team. With the loss of CC Brown we will have a roster spot open, and I for one think we should pick him up.

Discuss
Well, Dayne is large but that is about it. He doesn't run hard. To me he's kind of like a normal RB in a full back's body.

He doesn't move the pile. He doesn't pick up tough yards at the goal line. He dances too much in the backfield....

He's dependable but "The Great Tenderizer" he is not. I'm afraid that there just isn't a "thunder" to Slaton's "lightning" at present. We'll probably just spell SS with CT and the Klingon for the rest of the season.

Furthermore, IIRC from last year Dayne didn't do well unless he was the feature back. He was largely ineffective in spot duty. No way I'm swapping SS for the Dayne Train.
Old 09-28-2008   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

slaton and walker will be fine thanks
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Ron will take Rick's call as soon as he finishes his cheeseburger.

Make that after he finishes his second cheeseburger.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #6
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 18345 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Dayne back in, for a few carries. I don't want Slaton getting hurt in situations where a bigger back would be more suitable.

That said...I think anyone in the pro-get Dayne back group is going to get a hell load of crap from some people!
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #7
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Well, Dayne is large but that is about it. He doesn't run hard. To me he's kind of like a normal RB in a full back's body.

He doesn't move the pile. He doesn't pick up tough yards at the goal line. He dances too much in the backfield....

He's dependable but "The Great Tenderizer" he is not. I'm afraid that there just isn't a "thunder" to Slaton's "lightning" at present. We'll probably just spell SS with CT and the Klingon for the rest of the season.
I don't disagree that he runs like an elephant ballerina sometimes, but he has beaten down the defense before. The one game I remember the most is the Colts game that he helped (a LOT) win for us.

I'm not saying that he will fix all our problems, I am simply saying that he can fill that role much better than Chris Taylor. If Ahman can get healthy, he could do it... but no one is sure if that will happen or not.
Old 09-28-2008   #8
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown's knees vote no.

Seriously, though Dayne was a productive back for us, not sure why he got the Turk, he has done better than anyone else for us the last few years.

But if you wan't him to pound the ball, do short yardage and wear down a defense your looking in the wrong place, he's a 280lb finesse runner.
Old 09-28-2008   #9
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

or just sign him to play for the Colts game ;-)
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
But if you wan't him to pound the ball, do short yardage and wear down a defense your looking in the wrong place, he's a 280lb finesse runner.
You honestly think that Taylor does a better job...?
Old 09-28-2008   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Green should be rdy next week there is your thunder ............
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You honestly think that Taylor does a better job...?
I think Taylor has done about as well as I would expect Dayne to do and probably a lot cheaper than Dayne would come. I'd sure take Dayne over Aww-Man Green tho.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think Taylor has done about as well as I would expect Dayne to do and probably a lot cheaper than Dayne would come. I'd sure take Dayne over Aww-Man Green tho.
Taylor has looked extremely easy to tackle. From what I remember, it took a bit more effort to get Dayne down (except for when he tripped over himself, etc).

He isn't perfect, but he is as Porky once said "3 yards and a cloud of fat". I say we get him over Taylor considering Slaton's success.
Old 09-28-2008   #14
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 141 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Taylor is not the answer for the Thunder and everyone knows that Green isn't. Dayne might not be spectacular, but he's dependable, stays healthy, and falls forward for positive yards. Dayne/Walker combo worked well last year, the Dayne/Slaton combo would be even better. BRING BACK THE DAYNE TRAIN!!!
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Dayne is not on a team for a reason.
Old 09-28-2008   #16
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Thunder with lighting...I agree...

I hear Larry Johnson is quite upset with being on the Cheifs although i know he wouldn't go to one losing team to another only to share carries lol.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Dayne is not on a team for a reason.
So by that logic, we shouldn't pick up any free agent, ever? Give me a break. He is who he is, and that's better than what we have right now.
Old 09-28-2008   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Bye Bye Green, welcome back Mr. Choo Choo
Old 09-28-2008   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So by that logic, we shouldn't pick up any free agent, ever? Give me a break. He is who he is, and that's better than what we have right now.
The logic being used is acutely pointed at Ron Dayne and the current market. If this is just a Thunder and Lightning discussion then sure he is a candidate. But I thought I was commenting in a thread about a hopeful acquistion that would give us a chance to win. That is not Dayne.
Old 09-28-2008   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring in Davenport

He's the DOOKIE
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read