Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2008   #1
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Now that Cedric is cleared?

What do y'all think about a Slaton/Benson combo?
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #2
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Now that Cedric is cleared?

Uh no. Tired of taking chances on used Running backs. Besides, Houston is too close to Austin for comfort and we'd risk him getting in trouble..... AGAIN.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #3
Polo

I'd do that in a heart beat.
Old 09-26-2008   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring him in at minimum salary for one year and see what happens. Shake this offense up and take some mental pressure off of Schaub in the press. I see no downside at this point.
Old 09-26-2008   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans are too stubborn to do this because of checked past.

Besides Brown and Green are doing find this year
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can he play CB??! J/K! JMO here, for what it's worth, BUT, I think Gibbs influence is gonna be evident pretty soon. I know very little about his ZBS but our O looked a little more confident against the Teetons, and except for MS letting Haynesworth get in his head, I saw promise. Pair Slayton up with whoever they want, and I think our RBs will be fine. We don't need to spend any more money on has been RBs!! Gonna spend some bucks, find someone who knows how to beat a friggin receiver!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, RB is not one of our primary issues right now.

Especially this schmuck
Old 09-26-2008   #8
Polo

I think RB is a primary issue...

Chris Taylor didn't do anything last week...nor the game before...

And really nothing in pre-season...

I'd like a little more production from the backfield...Can't count on Slaton to be awesome every week all by himself...
Old 09-26-2008   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

what I find interesting is Kubiak preached that we will look for people at every position, no matter what.

and I just find it hard to believe, we have 2 RB's that can't stay healthy to play and what did we do? we supposedly brought in 5 backs to try out and I have probably missed it but I have yet to hear who those were. I just find it hard to believe that Benson or Shaun Alexander or someone wouldn't be worth a look at over two backs that we can't get to step foot on the field when they were counted on to contribute to the offense.

I am not saying we need to sigh alexander or benson, I am just saying I find it hard to believe that with injuries we haven't got some bodies in here

but with that said, maybe the players are looking for contracts that are too high and that is why they are still without a team
Old 09-26-2008   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Drop Green/Brown and any other RB with a Color name, and pick up Benson with a protected contract. Then we have our own version of "Thunder and Lightning"

Taylor can be our 3rd RB when one is injured, or need a breather.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Hilarious how so many people are still in La La land thinking they are talking about the same Benson right out of college who looked like a real good RB, completely forgetting that the guy has been a BUST in the NFL.

Who cares about his legal problems? He's not any good.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Hilarious how so many people are still in La La land thinking they are talking about the same Benson right out of college who looked like a real good RB, completely forgetting that the guy has been a BUST in the NFL.

He has got to do better than the ones that aren't suiting up.. that might not be saying much but
Old 09-26-2008   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If he'll sign a one year contract for the league minimum...

I guess that's always going to be my answer to these kinds of questions.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
He has got to do better than the ones that aren't suiting up.. that might not be saying much but
I dunno Wolf. I watched him a lot in Chicago, and keep in mind I'm a Longhorn man so I've been a big fan of Mr. Benson. However, he didn't make good cuts, he wasn't shifty, and he had terrible vision. And he also has a bad stumbling problem. The guy has terrible balance when getting knocked around.

He was just more a product of a Great Texas O line playing against a lot of really inferior defenses and talent in the Big 12 South. Whenever Texas played Oklahoma and a real D line, Benson played awful. Other than his Freshman year in college he's never been a guy that makes things happen on his own.
Old 09-26-2008   #15
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Yea I know he may have been a bust, but sometimes when those "busts" get a new perspective and a second chance they really shine. He is still young and may be just what we need as a 1 , 2 punch with Slaton. I am sorry but I cannot see whay we still hang on to Green and Brown. I really wanted them to work out but especially Green he is becoming the next Boselli/Joppru/DD etc.
I was not a huge fan of him as a Horn, even living here in Austin, but somehow I think he will get better and show everyone he is worth something.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
Yea I know he may have been a bust, but sometimes when those "busts" get a new perspective and a second chance they really shine.
Thomas Jones would be a good example. I'd rather have taken a gamble on him though than Benson.
Old 09-26-2008   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
Yea I know he may have been a bust, but sometimes when those "busts" get a new perspective and a second chance they really shine. He is still young and may be just what we need as a 1 , 2 punch with Slaton. I am sorry but I cannot see whay we still hang on to Green and Brown. I really wanted them to work out but especially Green he is becoming the next Boselli/Joppru/DD etc.
I was not a huge fan of him as a Horn, even living here in Austin, but somehow I think he will get better and show everyone he is worth something.
Totally agree on Green and Brown. But that was a terrible move to bring either one of them here in the first place. I'm sick to death of talking about those two.

I'd rather look at Alexander than Benson. At least Alexander has had success in this league and has good vision and knows how to run. Benson has never shown that he can even in his prime. Saying that though, I still wouldn't really want Alexander either.
Old 09-26-2008   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Texans are too stubborn to do this because of checked past.

Besides Brown and Green are doing find this year
They probably seem stubborn on this issue because they won't bring in a re-tread who was horrible in an offense that stresses running the ball. Why bring in someone who isn't an upgrade, even before the off-field issues?
Old 09-26-2008   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
They probably seem stubborn on this issue because they won't bring in a re-tread who was horrible in an offense that stresses running the ball. Why bring in someone who isn't an upgrade, even before the off-field issues?
The same reason we bring in any other player that hasn't done much in their recent past...

Potential.

What had Andre Davis or Kevin Walter done before we signed them ?
Old 09-26-2008   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
The same reason we bring in any other player that hasn't done much in their recent past...

Potential.

What had Andre Davis or Kevin Walter done before we signed them ?
Walter never the got chance to play a big role before us. He has been solid, which was expected. Benson was given more than enough chances, and to be honest, I don't think he has an ounce of "potential" left after all those failed chances.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read