Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2008   #61
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubes is the problem

Beware that, if we did get a proven coach like Cowher, there are many of us who would not put up with all the "fire the HC" threads and posts every time we lose a couple games. This statement not aimed at anyone in particular.

Now, fire Richard Smith! Where is that pink soap?

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #62
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Just a general observation, but I believe we are younger now than then and still have a lot of room to improve. That 7-9 team was anchored by guys like Sharper, Foreman, and McKinney, who didn't have much time left. This team has FAR more potential.

We have potential at the start of every season ..... the hell with potential ...... it's the nfl ...... what it comes down to is what did you achieve ... not what are you capable of doing.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #63
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beware that, if we did get a proven coach like Cowher, there are many of us who would not put up with all the "fire the HC" threads and posts every time we lose a couple games. This statement not aimed at anyone in particular.

I agree with you. I've become used to the weekly backup QB threads and Fire coaches threads. It becomes comical. There really are 31 other perfect QBs and coaches out there.
Old 09-26-2008   #64
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

I only wish it has been only a couple games we have lost. We have looked bad for some time now...oh, like since the first day of our team's existence.

If and when Cowher is brought in, I think everyone would show him more patience because he has proven he can do it. All Kubiak has proven is that he makes poor game time decisions, poor in-game adjustments, and poor talent evaluation. Cowher has shown a lot more than that so he deserves the benefit of the doubt more than Gary. I like Kubiak but I think he is over his head and isn't cut from the right cloth to be a successful NFL Head Coach.
Old 09-26-2008   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The "Bench Schaub" idea has been generating merit since last season, and it's rolled over into this season with two pretty awful performances back-to-back. That's a move that needs to be made no later than halftime of the Jags game is he's getting clobbered or can't produce points in the red zone.

The Kubiak move should be made at the end of the season if we finish with six wins or less. I don't think anything less than 8-8 is acceptable. The idea is to keep growing, not to move backward and have 8-8 as your best season.

Kubiak has a better chance of turning the team around than Schaub has of making it as a legit starter. Schaub, in the end, might be the thing that makes or breaks Kubiak's career: If Kubiak wants to get stubborn and prove that Schaub is legit, despite the lack of production, then so be it. It's his career, I guess.

Just looks like the smart move, after all the "evaluation" of course, is to put Matt on the bench and try someone different. Heck, if Sage does awful...then Matt will probably find the inner fuel he needs to get back in there and prove he can do it. Being anointed as the starter is not good.
Old 09-26-2008   #66
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I only wish it has been only a couple games we have lost. We have looked bad for some time now...oh, like since the first day of our team's existence.

If and when Cowher is brought in, I think everyone would show him more patience because he has proven he can do it. All Kubiak has proven is that he makes poor game time decisions, poor in-game adjustments, and poor talent evaluation. Cowher has shown a lot more than that so he deserves the benefit of the doubt more than Gary. I like Kubiak but I think he is over his head and isn't cut from the right cloth to be a successful NFL Head Coach.
you raise some valid points. Garys biggest fault is loyalty to his players & staff that clouds his thought process. This is something he is going to have to work through if he wants to survive, he needs better support & infrastructure around him. I view Cowher more of a figure head who had a very expereinced staff around him basicly running the show for a sustained continuous amount of time which created that lunch pale work ethic culture.

Kubes needs to change the culture, if that means a new dc then so be it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #67
Polo

I'm pretty sure Cowher had some of these same complaints against him by their fan base when they lost games too...

Everything Cowher touched didn't turn to gold....I'm pretty sure he made some poor personnel decision, poor coaching decision and poor in game adjustments along the way too...So has every other coach....

I feel like our team has gotten better and has been injected with more talent since Kubiak has gotten here. Our record has gotten better each year despite having multiple injuries to not only starters, but stars...

I think all of this talk about firing Kubes and him needing to shape up or ship out are ludicrous and very pre-mature....JMO
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2008   #68
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

besides Poor game managment, which I think a couch can learn from that with experience

I am not for the "fire Kubiak" Crowd yet... This team has changed alot, I looked at his first season as a evalutation of the team.. He had to see what Carr could do with the Texans giving him an extension.

Last season, you basically had a rookie QB at the helm and with all the injuries,it is tough to gauge

This is the first full season that we are healthy so far. so this IMO is the first real look at what Kubiak can or cannot do..(schaub in 2nd year in this offense).. now, If he doesn't get his game management improved, Schaub continues to struggle and Kubiak doesn't make a move, or even if this defense continues to play poorly and Kubiak doesnt' make any move in the offseason,then he will go down with the ship.

Right now I am disappointed with the way the team seems to be unprepared and out coached, esp after all the talk of "taking the next step" On a side note, Pitts game was pathetic, no excuse. Titans game , I will give them the benefit of the doubt that IKE was still on the players mind (even the Astros cooled off with that). I know they are all professionals but still there is the human factor of it when it comes to friends and family and trying to focus on work

Last edited by Wolf; 09-26-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #69
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Dude, why would Cowher ever come here?? LOL @ you thinking it would that easy. You make it sound like he'd be on a plane heading towards Houston as soon as McNair snaps his fingers. It has been said if (big if) he were to come back it'd be to Carolina (I think).

He will be here the rest of this season and next season at a minimum.

Quote:
"isn't cut from the right cloth to be a successful NFL Head Coach"
Well I'll be damned, where were you when McNair was interviewing coaches.

Bill Belichick - 1 winning season in his first 6 years.

Tony Dungy - 1 winning season in his first 3 years.

Jeff Fisher - Didn't get above .500 until his 5th season

Jimmy Johnson - 1 winning season in his first 3 years.

Tom Landry - 1 winning season in his first 7 years.

Chuck Noll - 1 winning season in his first 4 years.

Dick Vermeil - 1 winning season in his first 3 years.

Bill Walsh - 1 winning season in his first 3 years.
Old 09-26-2008   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you raise some valid points. Garys biggest fault is loyalty to his players & staff that clouds his thought process. This is something he is going to have to work through if he wants to survive, he needs better support & infrastructure around him. I view Cowher more of a figure head who had a very expereinced staff around him basicly running the show for a sustained continuous amount of time which created that lunch pale work ethic culture.

Kubes needs to change the culture, if that means a new dc then so be it
BINGO.

Gary belonged to the Broncos for so long, that I think he thinks that's the way he's going to do things in Houston: Slow and steady wins the race, and be loyal to those under you (just as Shanahan was loyal to Kubiak for so long).

Cowher didn't mind having coaches on his staff who were good at what they did, who were rising in the ranks and making a name for themselves. Kubiak, to me, appears to be a guy who is afraid to surround himself with such people: He wants to be the smartest person in the room. Which, based on last Sunday's game management, is a scary thing.

I read an article on Shanny, Jr. He said when he first got to Houston, in the coach's meetings, he was blurting out what he thinks should be done on certain things. He said the other coaches stared a hole through him, smirked at him like he was stupid. Shanny Jr. said "I learned right there that I need to shut my mouth and just sit back and watch."

Uhh...watch what? Sherman botch the whole offense from top to bottom? Kubiak fail to make adjustments at halftime. Shanny Jr. protected his arse, which was smart smart smart. But that's the culture, it seems, with Gary: "I'm the brain. You're the limbs. Do what I say."

Our team seems so very American Corporate climate, which I think is a culture established by McNair and due to the inherent way he has of doing things. Appearances are everything. Nice facility, squeaky clean players, high profitability. I used to work in a place like that, right out of college, and I left it--There was no room for creativity and risk. None. This team reminds me of that place.

Last edited by GP; 09-26-2008 at 10:18 AM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #71
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Kubiak, to me, appears to be a guy who is afraid to surround himself with such people: He wants to be the smartest person in the room. Which, based on last Sunday's game management, is a scary thing.
This is a really ignorant statement.

Mike Sherman
Alex Gibbs
and Ray Rhodes would like to disagree with you
Old 09-26-2008   #72
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
This is a really ignorant statement.

Mike Sherman
Alex Gibbs
and Ray Rhodes would like to disagree with you
Does that surprise you, considering the source?
Old 09-26-2008   #73
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Dude, why would Cowher ever come here?? LOL @ you thinking it would that easy. You make it sound like he'd be on a plane heading towards Houston as soon as McNair snaps his fingers. It has been said if (big if) he were to come back it'd be to Carolina (I think).

Throw in the fact that in two of Cowher's final four seasons in Pittsburgh, his record was 8-8(2006) and 6-10(2003). The other two were 15-1(2004) and 10-6 (2005 Super Bowl Championship season). Also, the 6-10 season was sandwiched by a 10-5-1 season, and the 15-1 season, so the point is even guys who are really really good coaches (which I wholeheartedly agree that Cowher is) have some pretty dismal years.

I don't know where Kubiak's ultimate Head Coaching legacy will end up, but I do know that this team made a determination after the 2005 season that he was the best guy to coach this team. I have seen reasons in the past for optimism, and I see reasons at this time for concern, but I see no reason whatsoever to definitively say Kubes is unable to do this job.
Old 09-26-2008   #74
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

what was impressive with Pittsburgh is they would lose defensive guys and it was just plug and play over

when I thought they would drop by losing Chad Brown , they kept going, Joey Porter, they kept going.
Old 09-26-2008   #75
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Throw in the fact that in two of Cowher's final four seasons in Pittsburgh, his record was 8-8(2006) and 6-10(2003). The other two were 15-1(2004) and 10-6 (2005 Super Bowl Championship season). Also, the 6-10 season was sandwiched by a 10-5-1 season, and the 15-1 season, so the point is even guys who are really really good coaches (which I wholeheartedly agree that Cowher is) have some pretty dismal years.

I don't know where Kubiak's ultimate Head Coaching legacy will end up, but I do know that this team made a determination after the 2005 season that he was the best guy to coach this team. I have seen reasons in the past for optimism, and I see reasons at this time for concern, but I see know reason whatsoever to definitively say Kubes is unable to do this job.
I agree.

I'm not saying Kubiak's going to be as successful as the coaches I listed, but I wanted to give SH examples of very good coaches that had slow starts in their careers.
Old 09-26-2008   #76
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Maybe Darrell K Royal or John Mackovic are available........
Old 09-26-2008   #77
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
what was impressive with Pittsburgh is they would lose defensive guys and it was just plug and play over

when I thought they would drop by losing Chad Brown , they kept going, Joey Porter, they kept going.
Dick LeBeau has had alot to do with the Steelers success.
Old 09-26-2008   #78
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

if your happy with the product on the field, that is your prerogative. sometimes you have to **** or get off the pot. that is where I am at with Kubiak. if he can't turn it around this year, he deserves to be fired. period.

this isn't a popularity contest or charity function. this is NFL football and if you don't win and your team isn't competitive, you lose your job. kubiak's teams have not been winning and they have looked utterly pathetic. if you want another couple years of this garbage, fine. just don't expect me to sit by and make excuses for this pathetic product.
Old 09-26-2008   #79
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

I don't know where Kubiak's ultimate Head Coaching legacy will end up, but I do know that this team made a determination after the 2005 season that he was the best guy to coach this team. I have seen reasons in the past for optimism, and I see reasons at this time for concern, but I see no reason whatsoever to definitively say Kubes is unable to do this job.
Come ON! This is the internet. That is not spoken as an absolute or a polarizing statement. Your argument is invalid because it's too realistic.
Old 09-26-2008   #80
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Maybe Darrell K Royal or John Mackovic are available........
heck if things get worse, there is always goldie

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read