Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2008   #21
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Coordinator thought

Jerry is the HC of Portland State with Mouse Davis and I don't think he is going to leave anytime soon.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #22
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Jerry is the HC of Portland State with Mouse Davis and I don't think he is going to leave anytime soon.
Portland State versus the NFL? I think Portland State loses that battle.
Old 09-25-2008   #23
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
He also would be a great hire. Surprised he is only a college position coach right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Portland State versus the NFL? I think Portland State loses that battle.
You guys mean this Jerry Gray right?

http://www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Jerry_Gray.jsp
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #24
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I keep saying the same thing that they need to decide what kinda front they're going to be and go from there. Mario can 1 or 2 gap. TJ and Okye are 1 gappers while okam and zgoninia are 2 gappers and weavver sux. I think Okam should be in between mario and okoye with cochran on the otherside. Let okam 2 gap, mario, okoye, and cochran get upfield. Of course they could sign haynesworth or suggs and everything getseasier.
Old 09-25-2008   #25
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?--28th one year and 32nd the other.

One guy we know Kubiak wanted is on the staff now--Bush. Boot Smith and experiment with Bush (no matter what caveat is made, that will draw comments).
Well I'm not going to be drawn into one of these again. What I know for a fact is we ran five zone blitzes Sunday and five times no one got there. And the other little fact is they've been doing this non performance garbage for three years. Eventually, even John McClain will have to own up to the fact some of the talent on this team has been over hyped by the media. Maybe Bush can get something different out of them. What I'm seeing is they are bring their best efforts and their best efforts are putrid. Might be coaching philosophy. But I doubt it. How about they demote Smith now and let Bush game plan the games and see what's what and who's who ?
Old 09-25-2008   #26
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well I'm not going to be drawn into one of these again. What I know for a fact is we ran five zone blitzes Sunday and five times no one got there. And the other little fact is they've been doing this non performance garbage for three years. Eventually, even John McClain will have to own up to the fact some of the talent on this team has been over hyped by the media. Maybe Bush can get something different out of them. What I'm seeing is they are bring their best efforts and their best efforts are putrid. Might be coaching philosophy. But I doubt it. How about they demote Smith now and let Bush game plan the games and see what's what and who's who ?
What did Bush do before he was here...? Im not a fan of DL coaches being a D Coord. Usually LB coaches make the the best DCs.
Old 09-25-2008   #27
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also would be a great hire. Surprised he is only a college position coach right now.
Grey wants to be in complete control of the defense. He wants to be the only one that can hire and fire. Basically he wants to be the HC of defense. Kubiak will not agree to that.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2008   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
What did Bush do before he was here...? Im not a fan of DL coaches being a D Coord. Usually LB coaches make the the best DCs.
Bush was the Linebackers coach with Arizona until we hired him. He's now the "Senior Defensive Assistant" but works closely with the Defensive Line. I'm not mistaken, Kubiak really wanted to hire Bush in 2006 but the Cardinals wouldn't let him go that year. From his resume, it seems he's really coached each 'unit', I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line to take over, and it actually could have been a plan of Kubiak's from the beginning.
Quote:
BUSH’S COACHING LEDGER
2007-08: Senior Defensive Assistant, Houston Texans
2006: Asst. Head Coach/Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
2004-05: Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
2001-03: Special Teams, Denver Broncos
2000: Secondary/Nickel Package, Denver Broncos
1995-99: Linebackers, Denver Broncos
1992-94: Linebackers, Houston Oilers
1987-92: Scout, Houston Oilers
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=21
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #29
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
You guys mean this Jerry Gray right?

http://www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Jerry_Gray.jsp
Yeah, that one. I didn't know if Zorn kept him on his staff or not.
Old 09-25-2008   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Grey wants to be in complete control of the defense. He wants to be the only one that can hire and fire. Basically he wants to be the HC of defense. Kubiak will not agree to that.
If we had a good enough DC, I really wish Kubiak would agree to it. It seems like every head coach has their hands on one side of the ball that they probably shouldn't.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I'm not going to be drawn into one of these again.
Drawn into one of what again?

Quote:
Eventually, even John McClain will have to own up to the fact some of the talent on this team has been over hyped by the media. Maybe Bush can get something different out of them. What I'm seeing is they are bring their best efforts and their best efforts are putrid. Might be coaching philosophy. But I doubt it. How about they demote Smith now and let Bush game plan the games and see what's what and who's who ?
If your point is the talent needs an upgrade then sure that would help too. But (1) it is hard to do that mid-season and (2) different schemes take advantage of different types of talent. To me it does not appear Smith's schemes take advantage of what talent is on the field and maybe other schemes would take better advantage of what is on the roster. For example, even as a rookie Adibi might very well be playing for Dungy or guys who like speed over size.
Old 09-25-2008   #32
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he would be a very strong hire for the DC/asst HC job.

Another candidate might be the guy who replaced him in Tampa, Larry Coyer.

Also Mike Nolan might be on the hot seat in SF. I would be happy with him, Mike Singletary or Greg Manusky. Anyone who has a connection to the Ravens defense that won the Super Bowl.
Wasn't Coyer DC when Kubes was OC in Denver? THAT'S what we need.

MORE BRONCOS!
Old 09-25-2008   #33
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Drawn into one of what again?

If your point is the talent needs an upgrade then sure that would help too. But (1) it is hard to do that mid-season and (2) different schemes take advantage of different types of talent. To me it does not appear Smith's schemes take advantage of what talent is on the field and maybe other schemes would take better advantage of what is on the roster. For example, even as a rookie Adibi might very well be playing for Dungy or guys who like speed over size.
If that is the point he's trying to make no one is saying this defense couldn't use more talent. Question becomes do we need more talent to overcome putrid coaching? I like a guy like Zac Diles and yeah he's what looks like to be a hustle type player but at what point does his lack of speed become a detriment overall to the defense? I mean isn't that why Chaun Thompson and Kevin Bentley brought in? Not saying Adibi is a burner but our LB corps does lack some speed. Not saying Smith has been given all pros to work with but at this point three years into his tenure it's not like he hasn't been given ANYTHING to work with.

For a first time HC like Kubiak it should've been an imperative point to get a DC with a successful track record.
Old 09-25-2008   #34
Polo

I still think it's more talent/players vs what the co-ordinator is doing, but I won't argue that someone couldnt come in and take these same players and make more of them...
Old 09-25-2008   #35
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Wasn't Coyer DC when Kubes was OC in Denver? THAT'S what we need.

MORE BRONCOS!
Coyer oversaw an aggressive attaching defense that was in the top 10 almost every season. He utilizing his LBs much better than we have. Now he is working in the Tampa 2 and that defense was a top 10 defense.

I do not care where he coached, he was a success everywhere he has been.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #36
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coyer oversaw an aggressive attaching defense that was in the top 10 almost every season. He utilizing his LBs much better than we have. Now he is working in the Tampa 2 and that defense was a top 10 defense.

I do not care where he coached, he was a success everywhere he has been.
So we're going back to the 34 ? Look, either you believe the OLBs are more than blue collar stop gaps or you don't. The conundrum is simply this, if you go with the non athletic OLBs you've got to upgrade the Safeties and or the off side end. They like their safeties. I don't like them but Smith and Kubiack do. After three years of sending people you've got to decide if it's scheme or the fact that they don't have anyone who has the ability to get there...under any circumstances. With any DC or scheme. What I'm seeing it's athletic ability. I've been wrong before. I'd rather be wrong on this one but I'm not. The production over the last three years proves it. They can't get there.
Old 09-25-2008   #37
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
So we're going back to the 34 ? Look, either you believe the OLBs are more than blue collar stop gaps or you don't. The conundrum is simply this, if you go with the non athletic OLBs you've got to upgrade the Safeties and or the off side end. They like their safeties. I don't like them but Smith and Kubiack do. After three years of sending people you've got to decide if it's scheme or the fact that they don't have anyone who has the ability to get there...under any circumstances. With any DC or scheme. What I'm seeing it's athletic ability. I've been wrong before. I'd rather be wrong on this one but I'm not. The production over the last three years proves it. They can't get there.
Tampa 2 is usually a 3-4.

I hope we wouldn't consider going to a 3-4 talk about a monumental waste on Mario's Williams talent that'd prove to be.
Old 09-25-2008   #38
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Tampa 2 is usually a 3-4.
Last time I looked the Bucs run a 4-3, the Colts run a 4-3, the Bears run a 4-3, the Chiefs run a 4-3, and the Lions run a 4-3. That would cover the main Tampa 2 teams.

Tampa 2 is a 4-3, cover 2 can be used from any front. So no, I am not asking us to go back to a 3-4.

IMO other than Ryans, we have guys that could play well in the 3-4.

I am looking for a defense that will utilize a 1 gap DT, and the Tampa 2 would. BTW I grew up on the 46 defense and it was a fun to watch.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #39
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Two words, Ray Rhodes.
did buddy ryan spawn any children?
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #40
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
did buddy ryan spawn any children?
Rex and Rob, both DC's in the NFL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read