Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2008   #1
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive Coordinator thought

For a several different reasons (not the least of which is he's still employed), this is very unlikely to happen before the end of the season, but what's the reaction to bringing in Rod Marinelli as the new DC next season.

This of course assumes he's terminated as the HC of the Lions, but with the guy who hired him no longer there, and a pretty sad record during his tenure, I'm thinking there's a good chance it's his last year up there.

I don't know if they were more than rumors and speculation, but I know I heard his name mentioned as the guy Kubiak was going to hire as DC until Detroit offered him a head job. If nothing else, that leads me to believe Kubiak has some sort of relationship with the guy. He's actually never been a DC, but he was an Asst. HC at Tampa, and he's on of the list of guys coaching there under Dungee/Kiffin.

This is actually only partially driven by the discontent with Richard Smith and the performance of his defense (So I'm looking for thoughts a bit deeper than "Anybody's better than who we've got now"). It's also the idea that even if Richard Smith goes, you've got to replace him with the right guy, and while there are those on this board who believe a trained chimp would be an improvement, the reality is you don't look for just a slight upgrade, if you look for the absolute best guy you can hire. Anybody think Marinelli would be that guy?
Old 09-24-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Coordinator thought

His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?--28th one year and 32nd the other.

One guy we know Kubiak wanted is on the staff now--Bush. Boot Smith and experiment with Bush (no matter what caveat is made, that will draw comments).

Last edited by infantrycak; 09-24-2008 at 04:47 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #3
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Anybody think Marinelli would be that guy?
I think he would be a very strong hire for the DC/asst HC job.

Another candidate might be the guy who replaced him in Tampa, Larry Coyer.

Also Mike Nolan might be on the hot seat in SF. I would be happy with him, Mike Singletary or Greg Manusky. Anyone who has a connection to the Ravens defense that won the Super Bowl.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #4
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?--28th one year and 32nd the other.

One guy we know Kubiak wanted is on the staff now--Bush. Boot Smith and experiment with Bush (no matter what caveat is made, that will draw comments).
I still do not understand why if Kubiak wanted Bush so bad he has not fired Smith and promoted Bush?? We have too many nice guys in this front office is what I am beginning to think...
Old 09-24-2008   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?

I agree that Bush is a solid candidate, and one I wouldn't mind seeing him as the guy. I'm asking the question not because I'm convinced he's the right guy, but because I'm thinking about whether he's the right guy.

In terms of his highest D position being DL, typically, those hired as DC's are either moving up from position coach, or down from HC, so I don't agree that his lack of prior DC experience is a real negative. I think the success of guys like Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and to a lesser extent Herm Edwards says his pedigree to be a DC is sufficient.

As far as the Lions having a less than stellar Defense, it's a valid point, and perhaps a deal killer. Brian Billick, Dom Capers, Kevin Gilbride, Romeo Crennell and Marvin Lewis would tell you there's not always a direct correlation between success at a coordinator level and success on the same side of the ball at the HC level. Heck, based on his Indy experience, Tony Dungy might even partially agree with that one.
Old 09-24-2008   #6
da Bull
Rookie

A couple of days ago in the "Texan Chick Blog" Stephanie said that all of the current defensive minds have input into the game plan, which I would assume includes both Bush and Rhodes. If this is the case, we probably have an amalgam of schemes/concepts. This "scheme by committee" shows either a lack of leadership on Smith's part for not defining the direction; Kubiak's part for not showing overall management; or both. If it's Kubiak's way of team management then no matter who the D.C. is, the outcome will be the same unless Kubiak changes his M.O.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #7
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Two words, Ray Rhodes.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been wanting to start a thread for a while concerning our defensive personnel. Look at the players we currently have on our team and the coaches we currently have coaching them.

I think this is a great thread to explore both Defensive Schemes and Defensive Coordinators since the two should go hand in hand.

Before looking at DC's though, I think it's important for us to look at the players. Mainly Mario, Amobi, Demeco, etc. (all our "studs"). Do we want to continue as a 4-3 base defense or do we want to convert back to a 3-4? If we switch back would Amobi be an edge rusher, would Mario do well as a 3-4 end? Who would be NT- okam!? We can't field 3 LB's... how are we gonna field 4! I think Demeco would do well however he's used, what about the other LB's like Thompson, Bentley, Colvin... 3-4LBs? How does that affect the secondary? Draft coming up, we're talking about a lot of good LB's at the top..

So after we decide what we wanna do or what we can do with the current players... Do we go after a DC that generally favors a 4-3 or a 3-4?

I'm really interested to see all the changes that will be happening (around the league as well as in Houston).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Two words, Ray Rhodes.
Nah, too soft.

We need to bring in a newbie. The SEC is known for some very good defenses. Willie Martinez from the Georgia Bulldogs for an example.
Old 09-24-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nah, too soft.

We need to bring in a newbie. The SEC is known for some very good defenses. Willie Martinez from the Georgia Bulldogs for an example.
I'm loving this idea. Who's the new Auburn DC, Rhodes? How has Muschamp looked in Austin? I'd love to get an SEC guy in here, have some scouts from the SEC follow him, and by gawd go get us some SEC defensive players in the draft. Demeco Ryans, Patrick Willis, Jerrod Mayo... the list goes on and on with stud SEC LB's and we need 2 more.
Old 09-24-2008   #11
da Bull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I've been wanting to start a thread for a while concerning our defensive personnel. Look at the players we currently have on our team and the coaches we currently have coaching them.

I think this is a great thread to explore both Defensive Schemes and Defensive Coordinators since the two should go hand in hand.

Before looking at DC's though, I think it's important for us to look at the players. Mainly Mario, Amobi, Demeco, etc. (all our "studs"). Do we want to continue as a 4-3 base defense or do we want to convert back to a 3-4? If we switch back would Amobi be an edge rusher, would Mario do well as a 3-4 end? Who would be NT- okam!? We can't field 3 LB's... how are we gonna field 4! I think Demeco would do well however he's used, what about the other LB's like Thompson, Bentley, Colvin... 3-4LBs? How does that affect the secondary? Draft coming up, we're talking about a lot of good LB's at the top..

So after we decide what we wanna do or what we can do with the current players... Do we go after a DC that generally favors a 4-3 or a 3-4?

I'm really interested to see all the changes that will be happening (around the league as well as in Houston).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm loving this idea. Who's the new Auburn DC, Rhodes? How has Muschamp looked in Austin? I'd love to get an SEC guy in here, have some scouts from the SEC follow him, and by gawd go get us some SEC defensive players in the draft. Demeco Ryans, Patrick Willis, Jerrod Mayo... the list goes on and on with stud SEC LB's and we need 2 more.
I think your base concept of discussion is great, but no need to wander into a discussion of SEC vs. the World....who's better? Let's talk about coordinator/defensive concepts.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
I think your base concept of discussion is great, but no need to wander into a discussion of SEC vs. the World....who's better? Let's talk about coordinator/defensive concepts.
I know... I know, I'm getting ahead of myself. What's the saying? "Old habits die hard." ?
Old 09-24-2008   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nah, too soft.

I wonder what Buddy Ryan is doing these days?

Old 09-24-2008   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

We can always try to get Capers back as DC
Old 09-24-2008   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see Jerry Glanville as the Defensive Coordinator of the Texans.

I know that we would bring more pressure, and we'd hit some people, instead of this no blitzing arm tackling D that Smith runs.

Old 09-24-2008   #16
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

oh snap the man in black! Get Elvis some tickets soon!
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I would love to see Jerry Glanville as the Defensive Coordinator of the Texans.

I know that we would bring more pressure, and we'd hit some people, instead of this no blitzing arm tackling D that Smith runs.

Dude, don't tease like that. The day he got fired it was a sad sad day.

We would win this division if we had Glanville. But sadly, he is not goody goody enough so it would never happen.

You wanna talk about someone who could make Chicken salad out of Chicken poo, this is your man.

Old 09-24-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

One guy I would love to have on the Texans but it would be pretty difficult to get him:

Mickey Andrews

He's been the D-Coordinator for Florida State for 25 years. There is an outside chance that when Jimbo Fisher takes over for Bobby Bowden, Mickey Andrews may leave, or be replaced. I would hate to see it happen, and I would think it would be a really stupid move by Jimbo Fisher if he did it, but there is a small chance of it happening. I think Mickey thought he was going to be the next coach, and that's why he has been here for soooo long. He is 66 years old and has been coaching since 1965.

Experience:
1965-66 -- Erwin High School (assistant coach)
1966-67 -- Eastern Kentucky (offensive backs)
1967-70 -- Livingston (assistant coach)
1970-72 -- Livingston (head coach)
1972-76 -- North Alabama (head coach/athletic director)
1976-80 -- Clemson (defensive coordinator)
1980 -- Clemson (assistant head coach)
1981-82 -- Florida (defensive backs)
1983 -- Arizona Wranglers (USFL) (defensive coordinator)
1984-01 -- Florida State (defensive coordinator/defensive backs)
2002- -- Florida State (associate head coach/defensive coordinator/defensive backs)

He would be more than qualified IMO.

Some awesome quotes from him have been:

"I tell these guys all the time, you may be second team on that depth chart, but when you step out onto this field your a first teamer, and you need to play like a first teamer."

"We only had 6 missed tackles today, so that was good. Generally we try to keep it under 10, if you had under 10 missed tackles, then we played pretty good defense."

"Shutouts are good, you don't lose when you shut em out, but we only got one turnover in the whole ball game. We play 60 minutes and we only got one turnover to show for it? We need to work on that. But yea, the shutout is good."

"You can prevent penalties -- just don't do anything. We could go out there today and I promise you play 60 minutes and never get a penalty. But we aren't going to be any good on defense either."

and finally:

“I kind of figure I have the best [assistant-coaching] job in America.”

I'm sorry guys I just love this guy.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #19
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Why Jerry Grey isn't a DC is beyond me. His defenses in Buffalo were always solid. What I liked the most is that they were salty. His players played with an edge which is what the doctor ordered for the Texans defense.
Old 09-24-2008   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Why Jerry Grey isn't a DC is beyond me. His defenses in Buffalo were always solid. What I liked the most is that they were salty. His players played with an edge which is what the doctor ordered for the Texans defense.

He also would be a great hire. Surprised he is only a college position coach right now.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read