Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2008   #21
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to beat Jacksonville this week.

I look at it this way. Last year we were 2-0 and riding high, and then the walls came down with all the injuries, though we did finish the season relatively strong. This year has been the opposite. We've started 0-2 and look out of sync and everyone (fans) is "down in the dumps." So, I look at this as being a pivotal game that could ignite the spark that we seem to have been missing the last couple of games.

Slaton running for over 100 yds. and the Defense holding the "tacks" to only 3 in the 2nd half are good signs that things are starting to change. Remember, we are a very young (inexperienced) team. I think if this game is close, and we win or lose by a small margin, then it could be the turning point we are all looking for. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #22
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I look at it this way. Last year we were 2-0 and riding high, and then the walls came down with all the injuries, though we did finish the season relatively strong. This year has been the opposite. We've started 0-2 and look out of sync and everyone (fans) is "down in the dumps." So, I look at this as being a pivotal game that could ignite the spark that we seem to have been missing the last couple of games.

Slaton running for over 100 yds. and the Defense holding the "tacks" to only 3 in the 2nd half are good signs that things are starting to change. Remember, we are a very young (inexperienced) team. I think if this game is close, and we win or lose by a small margin, then it could be the turning point we are all looking for. JMHO!
If our passing game had got it going in the second half after Slaton's big first half, it would have been a totally different game. People seem to forget our defense held the Titans to just three points in the second half.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

<-----I've got my optimistic face on!

They're going to win some games this season, so it might as well start this Sunday. We won 8 games with less last season, so there is no reason not to believe that our team doesn't do a gut check and take care of business. They have to quit beating themselves, though. We have enough to overcome playing good teams without shooting ourselves in the foot. From the coaches on down, every member of the team needs to evaluate and focus.

So let's go Texans!!
Old 09-24-2008   #24
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Enter Debbie Downer:

When Matt Schaub Qb'ed against the Jags, he plinked and plunked to 259 yds (19/31-average 7 yds/play) while being intercepted once and being sacked x 2 with 1 resulting in a fumble........lost). Red zone efficiency 20%. Oh, BTW, the lost fumble was on the Jag's 23 yd line.............and run back 77 yds for a TD. Schaub produced 0 TDs. After the score reached 37-9 and all but 5 minutes of the game ticked off, Rosenfells came and in that short period of time racked up 11/12 for 88 yds.......and the Texans only TD. You might say garbage time for Rosenfels, he took advantage of what he was given.

Somehow, the above tells me that even with limited plink and plunk success, game success was elusive..........and continues to be for Schaub
Can't sit by on this one.

1. "Plinked and plunked"?!? 259 yards in 31 attempts yields a yards per attempt average of 8.54. Tom Brady led the league last year with an 8.32 ypa. And this was without Andre Johnson. By contrast, Rosenfels 11-12, 88 that Debbie Downer thinks so highly of yields a ypa of 7.33 which was lower than Schaub's seasonal ypa. And, of course, that was truly garbage time.

2. The lost fumble was not a good play, but we were trailing 23-9 in the fourth quarter and Matt was scrambling trying to make a play downfield. He was too loose with the ball, but in that situation, you have to take chances.

3. You are forgetting the idiotic fumble Andre Davis had as we was crossing the goalline in the first quarter. If he doesn't make that unforced error, we are up 13-0 instead of 6-0 when the Jag offense started cranking. Entirely different ballgame.

4. The one interception came when the score was 30-9 and Andre Davis got outfought by a Jag defender for the ball. Yes, a turnover, but the game was already decided at that point.

If Schaub played the first two games this year the way he played in Jacksonville--at least up until the fourth quarter when the game got out of hand--then we are a little happier (though probably still 0-2). The problem is that he is not.

As the beleaguered driver of the Schaub bandwagon, I've been holding my tongue the last two weeks for a simple reason: he has not played well, and there is no spin I can give to change that. But Debbie Downer needs to check her facts if that's what she's taking away from last year's game in Jacksonville.

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 09-24-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: to add Rosenfels' ypa in the Jag game for comparison.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #25
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think schaub is the answer, yet like the writer of this thread i feel like he is going to put up some nice numbers on sunday.....

Go Texans

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #26
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I dont think schaub is the answer, yet like the writer of this thread i feel like he is going to put up some nice numbers on sunday.....

Go Texans
You are correct, Schaub is not the answer. He is however a very expensive seat warmer.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #27
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm probably striking some of you as bi-polar at this point but once again I've regained a lot of confidence and faith in this team during the week (after all, I guess it can't happen on a Sunday yet).

Anyway, I'm expecting the Texans to play inspired football this week and handle the Jaguars rather easily. I think it's a good matchup for us- I think their defense has lost something with the exit of Mike Smith and Stroud. Also, I think our front 4 should be able to handle their banged up Oline.

Mainly, though, I've really liked the way the team has responded to Sunday's loss. They don't seem defeated. They seem angry and genuinely disgusted with their play. This is the stand to make in order to turn this season into something special. I think they'll do it!
just wanted to give this thread a bump.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2008   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
just wanted to give this thread a bump.
I didn't post in this thread but in another thread last week, I said we'd win this game.

Well, we didn't.

But we came damned close.

I think we're going to have a good chance against the Colts next week.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read