Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans to beat Jacksonville this week.

I'm probably striking some of you as bi-polar at this point but once again I've regained a lot of confidence and faith in this team during the week (after all, I guess it can't happen on a Sunday yet).

Anyway, I'm expecting the Texans to play inspired football this week and handle the Jaguars rather easily. I think it's a good matchup for us- I think their defense has lost something with the exit of Mike Smith and Stroud. Also, I think our front 4 should be able to handle their banged up Oline.

Mainly, though, I've really liked the way the team has responded to Sunday's loss. They don't seem defeated. They seem angry and genuinely disgusted with their play. This is the stand to make in order to turn this season into something special. I think they'll do it!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: Texans to beat Jacksonville this week.

i wish i could be so optimistic.
Old 09-23-2008   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm probably striking some of you as bi-polar at this point but once again I've regained a lot of confidence and faith in this team during the week (after all, I guess it can't happen on a Sunday yet).

Anyway, I'm expecting the Texans to play inspired football this week and handle the Jaguars rather easily. I think it's a good matchup for us- I think their defense has lost something with the exit of Mike Smith and Stroud. Also, I think our front 4 should be able to handle their banged up Oline.

Mainly, though, I've really liked the way the team has responded to Sunday's loss. They don't seem defeated. They seem angry and genuinely disgusted with their play. This is the stand to make in order to turn this season into something special. I think they'll do it!
You win some rep!
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny. Houston sports fans have to have a short memory. I'm guilty of that. If I had brain-cell-one I would have quit watching any kind of organized sports after having my heart drawn and quartered when the Oilers lost to Buffalo in 1993. I swore that day I was done with the Oilers, but I was right back with them the next training camp. Geez.

Sign me up for a win against the Jags this weekend! After all, we've got their number, don't we?

Can you imagine how it must suck for the Jags that everyone owns the Texans except them? (And the Raiders).
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I should feel better round wed/thur and maybe share your optimism. We need a win in a bad way, thats for sure.
Old 09-23-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Only part that seems bi-polar is the bolded. We're not good enough to be using those words.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Only part that seems bi-polar is the bolded. We're not good enough to be using those words.
Honest question: have the Texans EVER handled any opponent easily? Has there EVER been a blowout win in the Texans history? NOTE: Blowout definition in my book is a win by at least three touchdowns.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2008   #8
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good stuff, we need some positivity, I can't bear a whole season of people being down all the time! There are positives, Slaton for one. Add this to the fact that a lot of what was bad about Sunday were player mistakes, not lack of ability.

We're not a bad team, just a team playing badly.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Honest question: have the Texans EVER handled any opponent easily? Has there EVER been a blowout win in the Texans history? NOTE: Blowout definition in my book is a win by at least three touchdowns.
I doubt it, but didn't we beat somebody 20-0 late in year 3? Was it the Jags or somebody else (or was it 20-3?)?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, there have been some. You having a loss of memory there? One notable one was us shutting out Jacksonville and giving them too many losses to enter into the playoffs back in 2004. We won 21-0.
Old 09-23-2008   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

So your telling me that a team that just had 2 100yd rushers isn't going to have a field day against our run 'defense'?

I appreicate looking at the brightside, but till Schaub starts throwing passes to his receivers and not into row J, our offense isn't going to be able to keep up with the points that our defense is going to give up.
Old 09-23-2008   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
So your telling me that a team that just had 2 100yd rushers isn't going to have a field day against our run 'defense'?
Yes. I think our D-Line is better than the Colts was last Sunday. I say neither of them get over 100 yards rushing. They didn't last season when we played them (I think).
Old 09-23-2008   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What response are you alluding to ? How do they not seem defeatist ?
And when and where did you detect this anger and disgust ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

S P A R T A ! ! ! ! !

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #15
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

it's what is great about only one game a week. you beat yourself up after a loss for a few days then spend the rest of the week convincing yourself you can win the next one. go texans
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Enter Debbie Downer:

When Matt Schaub Qb'ed against the Jags, he plinked and plunked to 259 yds (19/31-average 7 yds/play) while being intercepted once and being sacked x 2 with 1 resulting in a fumble........lost). Red zone efficiency 20%. Oh, BTW, the lost fumble was on the Jag's 23 yd line.............and run back 77 yds for a TD. Schaub produced 0 TDs. After the score reached 37-9 and all but 5 minutes of the game ticked off, Rosenfells came and in that short period of time racked up 11/12 for 88 yds.......and the Texans only TD. You might say garbage time for Rosenfels, he took advantage of what he was given.

Somehow, the above tells me that even with limited plink and plunk success, game success was elusive..........and continues to be for Schaub
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #17
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 20999 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wasn't quite 3 touchdowns, but the win against Denver last year looked like a blow-out from my seat.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yes. I think our D-Line is better than the Colts was last Sunday. I say neither of them get over 100 yards rushing. They didn't last season when we played them (I think).
When our offense is working it can limit the damage that opposing offenses can do, I can't rely on our offense turning up.

While our DL may be better than the Colts, our OLB are terrible and I see Taylor and Jones running off tackle and right past Diles and Greenwood.
Old 09-23-2008   #19
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

funny, I had the same feelings. I like the 'no excuses, we're GOING to get better' approach...not feeling sorry for themselves. AJ isn't gonna drop many passes, and Slaton is only gonna get better. Great post!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #20
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Texans to beat Jacksonville this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Good stuff, we need some positivity, I can't bear a whole season of people being down all the time! There are positives, Slaton for one. Add this to the fact that a lot of what was bad about Sunday were player mistakes, not lack of ability.

We're not a bad team, just a team playing badly.
Agreed. Nothing went right last game. As much as I hate to say it, I had a feeling that would happen. This game will be different. The Texans will win
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read