Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2008   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans view from a Titans fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
WE beat ourselves. Poor decision making and poor individual play = 12 points in 6 trips.
That, my friend, is the sign of a bad team.

It's funny how things come down to perception. My buddy tells me that I'm being pessimistic, but I say it's realistic. He says that he's being optimistic, but I tell him he's drinking koolaide. Perception.

But, at the end of the day, it's like the sig says: don't put sprinkles a dog turd and tell me it's a brownie. You eat it first if that's the case. I'm not hungry, thankyouverymuch.

Hey, maybe they turn this thing around. 14 games to go. It is possible, and I'm sure we all agree on that. The disagreement comes in when we speak of probabilties. Outside of a couple of individual performances, we do not see much to hang our hopes on right now. Maybe that will all change after the next game. Who knows...nut up Texans! Show us something. Give us fans a reason to hope.
Old 09-23-2008   #42
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

It's funny how things come down to perception. My buddy tells me that I'm being pessimistic, but I say it's realistic. He says that he's being optimistic, but I tell him he's drinking koolaide. Perception.

But, at the end of the day, it's like the sig says: don't put sprinkles a dog turd and tell me it's a brownie. You eat it first if that's the case. I'm not hungry, thankyouverymuch.

Hey, maybe they turn this thing around. 14 games to go. It is possible, and I'm sure we all agree on that. The disagreement comes in when we speak of probabilties. Outside of a couple of individual performances, we do not see much to hang our hopes on right now. Maybe that will all change after the next game. Who knows...nut up Texans! Show us something. Give us fans a reason to hope.
You can use the Astros as an example . They put themselves in a big hole because their pitching stunk . Then they battle back to being in wild card contention just to fall short which means they still need pitching and are just OK .

The Texans are on the brink of putting themselves in a big hole . They'll battle back and beat the Lions , Browns , and such . They may get to almost 500 when they'll play the good teams again . I don't believe they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat unless other teams get injured .
Old 09-23-2008   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You can use the Astros as an example . They put themselves in a big hole because their pitching stunk . Then they battle back to being in wild card contention just to fall short which means they still need pitching and are just OK .

The Texans are on the brink of putting themselves in a big hole . They'll battle back and beat the Lions , Browns , and such . They may get to almost 500 when they'll play the good teams again . I don't believe they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat unless other teams get injured .
It's a nice comparison, but the Astros have had winning seasons and the team itself has heart. I'm starting to wonder if our team is the Oz tinman sometimes. Individual players have heart, but as a team, I'm just not seeing it right now.

I'm just ranting. I need power so I can focus my mind on more productive endeavors. I haven't been able to crank up my guitar and blow out my eardrums in weeks. I need some distortion to get my balance.

Last edited by Double Barrel; 09-23-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fixed mixed metaphre - d'oh!
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #44
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am disappointed, with all the talk of "next step" and this team lays a fat goose egg (twice) when playing playoff teams

It seems to be the case with the Texans.. I remember a few years ago (2004)when there was talk of "playoffs" after being 4-3 and when that was mentioned ..This teams got b-slapped in denver by 18 points and and then again by indy and they rolled us by 35 points

but we do well on battle red day so I am optimistic
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #45
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a nice comparison, but the Astros have had winning seasons and the team itself has heart. I'm starting to wonder if our team is the Oz lion sometimes. Individual players have heart, but as a team, I'm just not seeing it right now.

I'm just ranting. I need power so I can focus my mind on more productive endeavors. I haven't been able to crank up my guitar and blow out my eardrums in weeks. I need some distortion to get my balance.
This is what keeps going through my mind .

Quote:
..."What is losing?"

Losing is a disease......as contagious as polio.

Losing is a disease......as contagious as syphilis.

Losing is a disease......as contagious as bubonic plague...
Old 09-23-2008   #46
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
This is what keeps going through my mind .

Quote:
..."What is losing?"

Losing is a disease......as contagious as polio.

Losing is a disease......as contagious as syphilis.

Losing is a disease......as contagious as bubonic plague...
*sneeze*

"Gesundheit"
Old 09-23-2008   #47
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or it could be just that the team had a bad day:

does aj usually drop 2 td balls? that was 4 pts dropped yest (we got a td from the other one)
does pittman usually give a bad snap: no= 1 pt dropped

that was the difference in the game imo because we get those points and its 24-17 in the 3rd q and we kick short fg's instead of going for every 4th down

the way i look at it is we played pretty well against a very good team on the road and probably shouldve won really but this is what growing pains are all about- losing because of mistakes that are stupid and so annoying that it doesnt happen again
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2008   #48
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

does aj usually drop 2 td balls? that was 4 pts dropped yest (we got a td from the other one)
does pittman usually give a bad snap: no= 1 pt dropped

that was the difference in the game imo because we get those points and its 24-17 in the 3rd q and we kick short fg's instead of going for every 4th down

the way i look at it is we played pretty well against a very good team on the road and probably shouldve won really but this is what growing pains are all about- losing because of mistakes that are stupid and so annoying that it doesnt happen again
Yep. I don't get the whole "I knew we would be going 0-2...but we were dominated in both games!"

No, we were dominated in ONE game. Titans did not dominate us, they played good and we made silly mistakes. Such as AJ dropping passes and Kubiak plays here and there.

We were in the game all the way until the 3min mark about...HOW is that domination? I don't see it we had every chance to win the game. Domination is never having the chance to win the game...like the Steelers game.

0-2 is NOT the end of the season ppl...srsly. I keep hearing ppl say it is the end of the season...if they win next week...I know you guys will all overreact again.

I think they will be alright and still finish .500 maybe a game over that. Nothing has changed for me. I expected to lose these two games...did I expect for the Steelers to blow us out...no. But the Texans had many chances to win the game, all you can ask for is for them to have those chances and capitalize on them. Obviously we did not capitalize on our chances week 3, that does not mean it will continue that way.

2 games does not a season make. If it did, we would have been a playoff team last season
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #49
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

If you want to add some bad luck to the equation, let's look at it like this? Starting with the Steelers, best defense in the league, then when coming home to regain our composure, we get Hurricane Ike, and instead of having a Home Game with Home Field Advantage, we have to have a Bye week in week 2. Has that EVER happened before to any other team. Bye week is a time to rest and regroup, We hadn't even started!!! (Poor baltimore got stuck in the middle of that too) Then off to the team that knocked Schaub out twice, no excuses, but.... then to the Jags. All out of town. The last time an NFL team played their first 3 games on the road was in 1991. That was 18 years ago.

Now, I ask you, bad team or bad luck with some bad breaks and lots of rookies. I prefer to take the high road and it has nothing to do with Koolaid. it will be okay.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #50
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy I swear I've never seen so many people make excuses for a team in how many seasons now? I'm hearing about growing pains, REALLY?? In the third year of a new regime?

You guys expected to lose? Why is that? The Cleveland Browns have played awful this year, but they played the Steelers waaaay better than the Texans did. How about how the Eagles hit the Steelers in the mouth? Oh yeah, no way we could have matched that intensity at all right? I actually predicted that we could upset the Steelers because it was game one, and maybe we could catch them off guard if we really BROUGHT IT. Boy was I wrong to think that we had the heart to do that under Kubiak and Smith.

The Texans have been losing games the same way there were losing games under Capers. No intensity, no back bone, no identity. But we've still got the same ole excuses I heard 4 years ago when I wanted Capers out of here, and everyone was saying how it was all growing pains and how this was just a young team on the rise and how they just needed time.

I'm just curious, is it going to take 10 years before we ever get a solid pass rush outside of Mario? How many draft picks have we spent on D line?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #51
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You guys expected to lose? Why is that? The Cleveland Browns have played awful this year, but they played the Steelers waaaay better than the Texans did. How about how the Eagles hit the Steelers in the mouth? Oh yeah, no way we could have matched that intensity at all right? I actually predicted that we could upset the Steelers because it was game one, and maybe we could catch them off guard if we really BROUGHT IT. Boy was I wrong to think that we had the heart to do that under Kubiak and Smith.
There's some who believe that the Texans destroyed the Steelers' season because Mario Williams messed up Big Ben worse than they are letting on.

I do not think it is a question of heart at all. This team cares. Maybe too much. I think factually, the Eagles defense has always been much better than anything sort of dancing around the Texans defense has done.
Old 09-23-2008   #52
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
There's some who believe that the Texans destroyed the Steelers' season because Mario Williams messed up Big Ben worse than they are letting on.

I do not think it is a question of heart at all. This team cares. Maybe too much. I think factually, the Eagles defense has always been much better than anything sort of dancing around the Texans defense has done.
I think the Ravens are going to take control of that division this weekend .

The Steelers are hurting bigtime ... Ben , Parker , and Hampton . The Ravens ... due to Ike ... are healthier .
Old 09-23-2008   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

Or, it could be that a bad team pulls one of the best WR's in the league down.

Hey, AJ himself said he was tired of this crap after the Steelers game.

This thing can turn around. But, they need to make it happen sooner than later, or losing ends up pulling the whole team down the drain.
Old 09-23-2008   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
There's no winning with you is there man? I apologize for letting my bias show by saying that the Titans, who are 3-0 and top ten in the league in every major stat category, are one of the "better" teams in the league. Basically saying they are in the top ten. Please excuse me for that.
You're just high on your team's good start, and you're feeling generous with your flattery (which I don't buy for a second). You're doing this to make yourself look grand and "above it all."

If we had smacked YOUR team down for a series record of 12-2 over the past 7 years...I doubt you'd feel chipper right now, and I doubt you'd feel all warm and fuzzy if I came over to your board and said, 'Relax, guys! The water is warm. Life is GREAT! Good times are coming your way, just you wait and see!"

Please lay off the sympathy posts.

Weren't you the one who said you only come here when it's Texans and Titans week?

Saying your team is one of the better teams in the league right now is just stretching it. You get manhandled by better teams, just like we do.
Old 09-23-2008   #55
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

First off, it was Okoye that hurt Ben Texans_Chick.

And are you really serious? Your going to try and tell me about how some people are taking joy into the fact that maybe we hurt the Steelers season because of one play despite the fact that we got man handled the entire game? That is what we're supposed to hang our hat on? Yay, we got Big Ben, but he still threw all over our D all game long and toyed with us all afternoon!

If that is what some fans around here are excited about these days, then I don't know what to say.
Old 09-23-2008   #56
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And are you really serious? Your going to try and tell me about how some people are taking joy into the fact that maybe we hurt the Steelers season because of one play despite the fact that we got man handled the entire game? That is what we're supposed to hang our hat on? Yay, we got Big Ben, but he still threw all over our D all game long and toyed with us all afternoon!

If that is what some fans around here are excited about these days, then I don't know what to say.
Big Ben only had 137 yards passing. Schaub even had more than him. It was Willie Parker that hurt us.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #57
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Big Ben only had 137 yards passing. Schaub even had more than him. It was Willie Parker that hurt us.
Are you kidding me? Big Ben toyed with us!

Did you even for a second look at his completion %? He didn't have to throw a lot of yards on us. Every time he dropped back he did what he wanted. They were beating us so easily, they took Big Ben out of the game to protect him for the next week. They were smart to do that. And parker was just the guy to run them in once they got in the red zone. He ran 3 TD's for the day and like 2 in the first half and Ben still managed to throw for two TD's in the first half alone. That was how easy it was for Big Ben and their offense.
Old 09-23-2008   #58
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude........ She didn't say any of things that you implied. My guess would be that she was referring to fans in the AFC North (i.e. Baltimore, Natti and Cleveland fans).

I don't need to defend her because she is more than capable of defending herself, but really??
Old 09-23-2008   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Dude........ She didn't say any of things that you implied. My guess would be that she was referring to fans in the AFC North (i.e. Baltimore, Natti and Cleveland fans).

I don't need to defend her because she is more than capable of defending herself, but really??
She certainly can, and she doesn't have to be defended. No one jumped out at her.

I responded to the post the only way I could interpret it as it was written. Regardless, she is entitled to her opinion.
Old 09-23-2008   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
She certainly can, and she doesn't have to be defended. No one jumped out at her.

I responded to the post the only way I could interpret it as it was written. Regardless, she is entitled to her opinion.
I took it that you thought she was saying that we (as Texans fans) took solice in knowing that Big Ben got injured. We all know better than that, but certainly it changes the dynamic in that particular division.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read