Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-22-2008   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default YTF's Early Offseason Plan

So, I was thinking about the Texans' offseason last night instead of physiology. I'm going to keep this pretty basic, but I will explain my reasoning and thoughts.

First order of business:
I fire Richard Smith and I tell Kubiak he is on the proverbial "hot seat" for this upcoming season.

Secondly, I fire our head of scouting and player development (the lone holdover from C&C) and I hire extra scouts; focus on the SEC. My professor's son is the Chief Player Scout of the SEC for the Cowboys. Anyway, I focus my attention to that conference and the ACC. We should be able to get some of our area scouts out to see some Texas action.

Next up is FA where I have one focus only: Terrell Suggs. I sign him and put him opposite Mario in a 4-3 base defense. I let Suggs do his thing. I would love to go after Haneysworth, but we can't afford to match what the Falcons are likely to give him, nor should we. I have a solution later.

In the draft, I'm looking to plug some immediate holes. I'm 50/50 on Okam being an NFL starter right now. I tried to keep this as realistic as possible as I have us picking in the 12-16 range next year. I did try to stay as close to BPA as possible as well.

1. Brian Cushing, OLB, USC - He has done it all at USC. He can play the SAM position and has the speed to stay with a H-back/TE. He has the size to disengage and the instincts to be at the ball. He has everything you could possibly want; the only knock is a few injuries. Best LB on the team IMO.

2. Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, LSU, Jr. - Francois is a beast. Plain and simple; BPA. He is a better prospect than Dorsey in terms of what I expect at the next level. Francois is the best DL prospect from LSU, not Tyson Jackson. Francois has great size and really gets off the snap well for his size. He is exceptional at blowing plays up in the backfield. Just witness his bowl game last year. Right now, he is looking like a 2nd rounder though by most accounts.

3. Jonathan Luigs, OC, Arkansas - I think it is a push between him and Mack for best OC in the draft. You can also throw in the Oregon OC into that mix, but I really like Luigs because of his ability to consistently create a hole for RB's. He blocked for some great speed backs and should be able to get those holes open quickly for our young group. Also, I would hope he can help with the formation of a more fundamentally sound pocket for our QB.

Well, that is my quick offseason plan. Have at it.
Old 09-22-2008   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: YTF's Early Offseason Plan

I don't know the players, but I like it. I wouldn't put pressure on Kubes, though; although, I might keep a real interested eye on who he chooses as DC from now on.

I have a theory that football teams do not actually need HCs. They need an OC, a DC, and a STC. The rest could be up to the GM. Kubiak would just be our highly paid OC. All decisions during the game would be made based on what part of the team is on the field, keeping the whole team in mind (or it's your butt).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't know the players, but I like it. I wouldn't put pressure on Kubes, though; although, I might keep a real interested eye on who he chooses as DC from now on.

I have a theory that football teams do not actually need HCs. They need an OC, a DC, and a STC. The rest could be up to the GM. Kubiak would just be our highly paid OC. All decisions during the game would be made based on what part of the team is on the field, keeping the whole team in mind (or it's your butt).
I think there needs to be a distinct leader of those coordinators. I think Kubiak should be on a leash, mostly for his coaching staff. We have a 28 year old OC and a proven worthless DC. I'm not knocking on little Shanny because he hasn't had a chance, but I don't think Kubiak is/was in a position to appoint a 28 y/o to run our offense. I think Richard Smith is limited, both in what he can do as well as what he has been given. I think our LB play is really holding us back. They are the part of the front and back 7, either way you want to term it. Everyone thinks we need to fix a particular "7" on defense, but only want to focus on the DL or DB. I want to upgrade our LBs and let Frank Bush rip them a new arse. I still believe that Brown was a reach pick to appease the fans simply from a positional standpoint, regardless of how much BS the FO pumps us. He was clearly not BPA, and clearly not a better OT than the guys available this year. If a lot of crappy teams upgraded their OTs last year, the need for an OT goes down. Most of the crappy teams from last year are back to their old ways again this year. I think we need to work on our interior OL since we can't go OT 2 years in a row with Winston's extension. I really like Duke Robinson from OU. He is a top 10 player overall to me. He is somewhat similar to Brandon Albert last year, but he is bigger and hella meaner. He's got Lenord Davis type size, but Albert type feet. There are early indications and rumors from some of my scouting friends that he has the potential to slide outside to LT. However, the general consensus is that he is an All-Pro virtual lock at OG. If we miss on OLB in the 1st, I'd be jumping up and down to pick The Duke of Robinson.
Old 09-22-2008   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Nothing else? I know it's early in the season, but c'mon guys and gals. I'm looking for any and all feedback about this or anything I've put out there recently.
Old 09-22-2008   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

People don't want to think today. They want to gripe and argue. We're 2 embarrassments to nothing and it's just all gonna be about fire so and so and fire that other guy too.

Having said that, fire Richard Smith!

Old 09-22-2008   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
People don't want to think today. They want to gripe and argue. We're 2 embarrassments to nothing and it's just all gonna be about fire so and so and fire that other guy too.

Having said that, fire Richard Smith!
While I do agree changes need to be made, college football season is upon us and we are getting into conference games now. This is where some players have separated themselves and deserve a closer look. It's time to get involved with the NFL draft process. I love this time of year. Gripe all yall want, but it's a win-win scouting college football games!!
Old 09-22-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My first order of business in the offseason? Hire YTF to help counsel Rick Smith.

I'm a big fan of getting us some all pro guards and hope that the Brown/Winston tandem works out. That would do wonders for our team. I don't think Myers is safe at C, at least from what I've seen. I wonder if he would be better suited at G.

I'm hoping for a pass rushing DE, a stud DT to take blockers off Amobi, Mario and our other pass rusher, an OLB, and a Safety that can Cover. I'm also hoping for a great Guard, possibly a Center, a workhorse to pair with Slaton.

That's still too much to do in one offseason, but I like what you've suggested YTF.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2008   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
While I do agree changes need to be made, college football season is upon us and we are getting into conference games now. This is where some players have separated themselves and deserve a closer look. It's time to get involved with the NFL draft process. I love this time of year. Gripe all yall want, but it's a win-win scouting college football games!!
I'd love to line up 325lb guards who can move a pile . If you can find them then maybe the tackles will be fine . I don't watch game film or reruns to see how our guards and center are doing . So I'll ask how is Pitts ... the lone holdover of the time honored tradition of bad offensive line play ... doing ? As my coaches in highschool used to say ... they could'nt knock a sick who@$ off a pi#$#$% pot .

On defense ... if you have undersized LBs they better be alot quicker than our undersized LBs . CC is not tackling very well and Demps is slow . The CBs need help and besides Mario we don't have a DL who's playing well at all .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
My first order of business in the offseason? Hire YTF to help counsel Rick Smith.

I'm a big fan of getting us some all pro guards and hope that the Brown/Winston tandem works out. That would do wonders for our team. I don't think Myers is safe at C, at least from what I've seen. I wonder if he would be better suited at G.

I'm hoping for a pass rushing DE, a stud DT to take blockers off Amobi, Mario and our other pass rusher, an OLB, and a Safety that can Cover. I'm also hoping for a great Guard, possibly a Center, a workhorse to pair with Slaton.

That's still too much to do in one offseason, but I like what you've suggested YTF.
I'm working on my degree in Sports Management and am working on securing an internship with the Texans that isn't something like Marketing.

Duke Robinson would be that 325lb OG (335 actually) that you are wanting. I think maybe a Geno Atkins or a Sen'Darik (too lazy to look up spellings) would be a suitable DT to plug in to our line. Maybe even a 385lb juco transfer to 'Bama that I've thrown out there?
Old 09-22-2008   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

On defense ... if you have undersized LBs they better be alot quicker than our undersized LBs . CC is not tackling very well and Demps is slow . The CBs need help and besides Mario we don't have a DL who's playing well at all .
I really want to see Adibi play. I think Blackmon could be a possible WILL, but I really would be pleased to land Cushing from USC to secure the OLB spot for our team.

Jesus, if I ran this team, I'd be trading vets for draft picks all the time and trading those picks for better picks. Within reason of course. I love the draft.
Old 09-22-2008   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really want to see Adibi play. I think Blackmon could be a possible WILL, but I really would be pleased to land Cushing from USC to secure the OLB spot for our team.

Jesus, if I ran this team, I'd be trading vets for draft picks all the time and trading those picks for better picks. Within reason of course. I love the draft.
I think the 2005 draft set us back a couple of years . You'll have to promise to do better .

Round Dan
Old 09-22-2008   #12
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good call on Suggs. I'd also look into Asomugha, the cb in Oakland.

And I'll pass on Cushing. Guy is just hurt too much. If we go OLB, I'd look at Freeman or Sintim. Who knows, maybe we'll be in position to draft Maualuga.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm working on my degree in Sports Management and am working on securing an internship with the Texans that isn't something like Marketing.
awesome...keep it up and too bad you don't want in marketing, because it means you will have to work for a different team other than the Texans of course. You can't quote me on this personally, but someone in the front office once told me that the Texans are a marketing company with a football division. Don't shoot the messenger.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
awesome...keep it up and too bad you don't want in marketing, because it means you will have to work for a different team other than the Texans of course. You can't quote me on this personally, but someone in the front office once told me that the Texans are a marketing company with a football division. Don't shoot the messenger.
That is interesting to note. I'm a double major actually with sports management being only one degree. I'm also a business student, management as of now, but I'm thinking about accounting. I'm trying get into the player management/development side of the organization. One of my buddies that I worked out with this summer has a fiance in Ticket Sales or Marketing department.
Old 09-22-2008   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yeah, I feel much better now.

Old 09-22-2008   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is interesting to note. I'm a double major actually with sports management being only one degree. I'm also a business student, management as of now, but I'm thinking about accounting. I'm trying get into the player management/development side of the organization. One of my buddies that I worked out with this summer has a fiance in Ticket Sales or Marketing department.
I was being a bit sarcastic...but even the people in the FO all seem to think the team is a bit too marketing focused sometimes themselves. It's a good thing they do something well in any case..... I just wish they were better on the field than off.

Go to the .com and apply for an internship.

Quote:
College Credit Internship Opportunities (Spring 2009) - Houston Texans (Houston, TX)

The Houston Texans are looking for new teammates that subscribe to our core ideals such as character, hard work, discipline and teamwork. We are currently seeking candidates to fill several Spring College Credit Internship opportunities we have available in the following departments:

* Human Resources
* Promotions
* Lone Star Sports & Entertainment

We are looking for candidates who:

* Are able to commit to a full-time work schedule (8:30 am - 5:30 pm) from January 2, 2009 through May 29, 2009
* Are required to work 350 hours to receive college credit
* Have a passion to work in the sports industry
* Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
* Can make an impact on the Houston Texans organization
* Are proficient in Microsoft office software applications

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I was being a bit sarcastic...but even the people in the FO all seem to think the team is a bit too marketing focused sometimes themselves. It's a good thing they do something well in any case..... I just wish they were better on the field than off.
Oh boy .

Jerrah does everything under the sun to make his team a Super Bowl champion ... why ... cause he's trying to make his team the biggest sports franchise on the planet . Jerrah loves the limelight like being on HBO , Deion Sanders , Jessica Simpson , TO trying to kill himself , letting us draft Vernon Morency instead of Marion Barber it goes on and on .

What are we trying to do put QBs on BMW billboards . You only have to market a loser in Houston and we're getting wise to that after seven years .

Round Dan
Old 09-22-2008   #18
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad you posted this stuff because I got pissed yesterday and decided to see who the Texans could get in the off season and Suggs was one of the first names that came to mind. I still like Vance Walker from Georgia Tech as a 3-4 rnd DT
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Here's a Murphy's law scenerio .

Michael Oher is there at ___ when we pick . What do you do ?

Round Dan
Old 09-22-2008   #20
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Here's a Murphy's law scenerio .

Michael Oher is there at ___ when we pick . What do you do ?
that cat is a top 3 pick period
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read