Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2008   #81
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Everyone in the Texans organization from top to bottom needs to be reevaluated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Now I left several moves out of all of this that Morey has done. Smith has done a decent job and all, but he is nowhere near Morey's level of a GM and what Morey has been able to do for the Rockets thus far. This isn't even close.
Smith had to do alot more for the Texans, because they were in a worser state then the Rockets. All Morey had to do was put the whip cream and cherry on the ice cream, Smith however was digging at the end of the bucket when he took over.

If you want to compare them by records though, then Rick Smith turn our team from 2-14 to 8-8, bottom-feeders to middle of the pack. Morey however, went from 52-30 to 53-29 and lost again in the first round of the PO (I know, Yao was out...).

If you ask me who has help their team more, since taking over, I'll say it's Rick Smith by a pretty good margin.

Last edited by J-Russ; 09-25-2008 at 07:15 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #82
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Everyone in the Texans organization from top to bottom needs to be reevaluated

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Smith had to do alot more for the Texans, because they were in a worser state then the Rockets. All Morey had to do was put the whip cream and cherry on the ice cream, Smith however had to dig at the end of the bucket for his ice cream.

If you want to compare them by records though, then Rick Smith turn our team from 2-14 to 8-8, bottom-feeders to middle of the pack. Morey however, went from 52-30 to 53-29 and lost again in the PO (I know, Yao was out...).
You see J-Russ, this is my problem with this assessment. So many people act like another GM couldn't have done the same thing or possibly better. So many of you want to compare Smith to Casserly as if Casserly is the only person to compare him to. Sure he looks great when you compare him to Casserly or Millen.The Texans were 2-14 and should have been 3-13 if it weren't for Brown's obvious missed kick. The Texans had nowhere to go but up. They weren't going to repeat that season again. You may have thought so, but not me. I didn't hope for improvements, I expected them.

The Jets and the Saints both were in terrible conditions just like the Texans were when Smith and Kubiak came in. They both had slightly better records by maybe a game or two at best. They both made the playoffs the very next season and improved a lot. I didn't expect to make the playoffs, but going 6-10 was not something to make me say WOW! Again, it was expected. Then improving to 8-8 is still an improvement, but many of you keep acting like it was some sort of milestone that was like achieving the impossible or something.

What Morey has done with the Rockets has just been unbelievable to me, and in my opinion it is harder in basketball because of guaranteed contracts and it is way harder to fill holes in basketball then it is in football. Morey has made some spectacular trades getting just about every bad contract off of our books, and drafted extremely well with late picks.

I'm no huge advocate for Smith, and I think he has done a decent job and all but not exactly great.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #83
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I love it.

2 games into his second season (facing 2 tough offensive lines no less) and Okoye is a bust. Rick Smith is a horrible GM and Matt Schaub needs to be benched. Our O-line coach is apparently terrible and we have no chance at all.

So basically it's par for the course. I figured there would be a lot of this come our first 5 games seeing as how everybody knew the opening schedule was deadly. Count in the fact that we basically got stripped of a bye (no fault of anybody's) and we lost the one home game where we had a chance to win in the month of September and everybody wants heads to roll.

Don't mind me, I'll be over here with the "wait and see" fans. Call me a fool, but I'm waiting until week 5 or so to see what our team really looks like. Uncompetitive in the first 2 games? Yeah, they did look like that, but I'll give them a pass on the Tennessee game due to hurricanage. I don't mind seeing Schaub trotted out again vs Jacksonville, but it seems like a lot of fans are taking it as some sort of personal slight against them individually by the Texans organization that he's even being given another chance. I don't see why.

Chicken little anyone?
Old 09-25-2008   #84
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I love it.

2 games into his second season (facing 2 tough offensive lines no less) and Okoye is a bust. Rick Smith is a horrible GM and Matt Schaub needs to be benched. Our O-line coach is apparently terrible and we have no chance at all.

So basically it's par for the course. I figured there would be a lot of this come our first 5 games seeing as how everybody knew the opening schedule was deadly. Count in the fact that we basically got stripped of a bye (no fault of anybody's) and we lost the one home game where we had a chance to win in the month of September and everybody wants heads to roll.

Don't mind me, I'll be over here with the "wait and see" fans. Call me a fool, but I'm waiting until week 5 or so to see what our team really looks like. Uncompetitive in the first 2 games? Yeah, they did look like that, but I'll give them a pass on the Tennessee game due to hurricanage. I don't mind seeing Schaub trotted out again vs Jacksonville, but it seems like a lot of fans are taking it as some sort of personal slight against them individually by the Texans organization that he's even being given another chance. I don't see why.

Chicken little anyone?
just wait till next week after we win. wont be able to shut these same guys up with all their talk of coach of the year, mvp and maybe even a hint of super bowl mixed in.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read