Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2008   #41
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Everyone in the Texans organization from top to bottom needs to be reevaluated

Tank isnt old and some of these kinds of guys should get drafted I mean **** I want to win some f'ing football games
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Everyone in the Texans organization from top to bottom needs to be reevaluated

We're in the 3rd year of a rebuild under Kubiac and Smith. If we dump them now, we have to start all over again with someone elses idea of what and who they want. Not a good idea. Maybe replace the DC, but that's as far as I would go with things. I'm not in the mood for another rebuild.

We have the basic pieces in place now, we just have a few more really gaping holes to fill. And yeah, we said that last to too, but last year we were in the 2nd year of a rebuild. I would have hoped we'd be doing better by now, but ya know, losing on the road to two of the top teams in the NFL when you are certainly nothing more than average isn't the end of the world. It's really to be expected.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We're in the 3rd year of a rebuild under Kubiac and Smith. If we dump them now, we have to start all over again with someone elses idea of what and who they want. Not a good idea. Maybe replace the DC, but that's as far as I would go with things. I'm not in the mood for another rebuild.

We have the basic pieces in place now, we just have a few more really gaping holes to fill. And yeah, we said that last to too, but last year we were in the 2nd year of a rebuild. I would have hoped we'd be doing better by now, but ya know, losing on the road to two of the top teams in the NFL when you are certainly nothing more than average isn't the end of the world. It's really to be expected.
forget rebuild...I'd settle for a "build".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

My biggest problem is our core or building blocks ( or lack off ) . We should have at least 6 and 6 on offense and defense but we don't . It's kinda like returning letterman in highschool to build your team around . I guess the other part would be no team tradition or lore ( expectations ) to live up to .

On defense it's Ryans and Williams who are playing at a decent level ... that's it . On offense do we say Slaton ... who else . AJ should be there but he was'nt yesterday .

The question would be ... are the rest of these guys talented and badly coached ? Are they just not talented and badly scouted or both ? I think the best thing is to take the play calling away from Shanahan and Smith ... it's a start .

The Eagles whipped the snot out of the Steelers offense . This is same Steelers offense went through us like a hot knife through butter . There's something that's just wrong that higher picks will not cure .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #45
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
forget rebuild...I'd settle for a "build".
Gotta start with a foundation first.
Old 09-22-2008   #46
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm getting my motivation from this skit .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxL1u...eature=related

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #47
Polo

I'd like to see Demeco lose a few...

I think he was more effective and moved better before he gained weight...
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2008   #48
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

So, when are we going to bring Dan Reeves back in for a consultation?

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #49
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
1. Bob McNair - its amazing how the business and fan comfort side of things are so good compared to the mess that is football operations. McNair believes stability leads to success. I agree with that for the most part. However, that is no guarantee of success. Look at the Lions. They have inexplicably stuck with Matt Millen for all of these years. Despite, this stability the Lions are as bad as ever.

Bob, listen to me, if it becomes clear that Schaub, Kubiak, Rick Smith, and others are not the ones to lead us to the promised land make the move and get us the people who will. Don't stick with them just because that is what you think top franchises do. It's not. Don't make us languish like you did with the previous crew.

Also, please dispense with the idea that we should only have choir boys on this team. Good teams often have a few bad apples if they can play. Tank Johnson and Pacman could have helped us a lot.

Don't bet the farm and commit long term deals for those who haven't earned it (i.e. Carr's extension and Rick Smith's extension).

Finally, I think most of us would rather focus on building this team properly rather than overspend for a new "face of the franchise" like we did for Schaub.

i try to stay away from your post's because you only seem to post when things are not going well. unfortunatly with this team thats pretty much always. most people either get it or they dont so i usually dont try to explain it to the ones who dont but i was reading this on cnn and i thought maybe it would at least make people think twice about hiring a bunch of thugs to play for our team and represents our city.

from peter king at cnn
. I think Boys Will Be Boys, Jeff Pearlman's new book about the Dallas Cowboys in their glory days, and their decline from them, should not be dismissed as the rantings of a jaded sportswriter. Pearlman, obviously, has hit several nerves, and I applaud him for it.

Pearlman writes that Michael Irvin, incensed that tackle Everett McIver, in mid-haircut, would not leave a barber chair at training camp in 1998 so Irvin could get his haircut first, stabbed McIver in the neck. McIver was rushed to the hospital and survived, but not without losing a lot of blood. Irvin's silence on the charge has been deafening. I asked a Cowboy who played on that team if the story was true. "Absolutely,'' the Cowboy said. "I'm surprised it was kept quiet over the years.''

Pearlman writes in great detail about the White House, the house of ill repute Dallas players owned and managed near Valley Ranch, and he lampoons Deion Sanders, quoting Dallas corner Kevin Smith thusly: "When Deion came in, something changed for the worse. Guys who should have been studying football on a Wednesday at 12 o'clock were focused on other things. Deion was such a freaky athlete that he could shake one leg and be ready to cover anyone. But the guys following his lead weren't nearly as talented.'

In the first defensive team meeting Sanders attended, Pearlman writes, Sanders put his feet up on a table, and when defensive coordinator Dave Campo asked him to break down a play, Sanders said, "Hey, coach. I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes, I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out.''

Pearlman writes that Troy Aikman was disgusted by Sanders. And Barry Switzer, too. He also notes that Switzer's liquor tab during the week of the Pittsburgh-Dallas Super Bowl in Arizona was $100,000. That's a heck of an example to set, Barry. What a great hire.

here is the link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...1/Week3/4.html

so if you wanna root for and celebrate with a bunch of thugs whom if you were sitting in a spot they wanted they might just stab you in the back of the neck so they can get their hair cut first. please move to dallas and root for them.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #50
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
so if you wanna root for and celebrate with a bunch of thugs whom if you were sitting in a spot they wanted they might just stab you in the back of the neck so they can get their hair cut first. please move to dallas and root for them.
I tend to agree.

My question to all of those who are unhappy with the the character of our players is, who of these bad apples was available or was interested in coming to our team?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #51
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I tend to agree.

My question to all of those who are unhappy with the the character of our players is, who of these bad apples was available or was interested in coming to our team?
Tommy Blake is still out there. Judging from the performances we've gotten out of Mr. Weaver so far....why the heck not ? I'm sure Weaver's a good guy. Nice family guy...and is a far better athlete than I'll ever hope to be...but it doesn't take Tex Schramm watching the guy to know the guy is basically done. One of Kubes' foibles is hanging with the vets too long. Ok, one eighth of the season is gone....how long do you hang with Weaver ? His play is so bad you might as well start the upside guy or stick Okoye out there. Couldn't get any worse.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 09-25-2008 at 01:39 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #52
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmm.

Okoye, Johnson, Okam, Williams. At least size ceases to be a problem.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #53
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Tommy Blake is still out there. Judging from the performances we've gotten out of Mr. Weaver so far....why the heck not ? I'm sure Weaver's a good guy. Nice family guy...and is a far better athlete than I'll ever hope to be...but it doesn't take Tex Schramm watching the guy to know the guy is basically done. One of Kubes' foibles is hanging with the vets too long. Ok, one eighth of the season is gone....how long do you hang with Weaver ? Hi splay is so bad you might as well start the upside guy or stick Okoye out there. Couldn't get any worse.
I have been screaming for Tommy Blake on here more then a few times when we talk about DE/DT players and everyone keeps saying he is a nut case so no we wont be going after him because everyone believes him to be a nut case
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #54
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with you up there Beer Lover. As I recall it, and maybe I'm being pollyanna here, they were only thirteen million under the cap after Mario's contract extension ? I believe the number was twelve something. So if they chose Green over Micheal Turner or Reeves over Randal Gay I got to figure there was a reason for that. I don't expect for Rick Smith to hit every thing. I do expect him to receive a little grace from the fans for the bridle he inherited. His wiff record isn't even close to CC's yet. From what I see when
Reeves face the ball and can read the formation and QB....he's a pretty good ball hawk. Now as far as instinct and knowing where the ball is when he's trailing a receiver...he's pretty much lost.
Old 09-25-2008   #55
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

So what you're saying is that Reeves could coach some, but he is useless on the field.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #56
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm with you up there Beer Lover. As I recall it, and maybe I'm being pollyanna here, they were only thirteen million under the cap after Mario's contract extension ? I believe the number was twelve something. So if they chose Green over Micheal Turner or Reeves over Randal Gay I got to figure there was a reason for that. I don't expect for Rick Smith to hit every thing. I do expect him to receive a little grace from the fans for the bridle he inherited. His wiff record isn't even close to CC's yet. From what I see when
Reeves face the ball and can read the formation and QB....he's a pretty good ball hawk. Now as far as instinct and knowing where the ball is when he's trailing a receiver...he's pretty much lost.
I'm inclined to agree he's more of a zone corner then a man up cover.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #57
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I said this on another thread but i'll say it again. We SHOULD'VE went with Patrick Willis instead of Amobi in the 07 draft. Considering what he's done as an ILB in 3-4 leading the league in tackles, as compared to Amobi 5.5 sacks......

The outside backers are supposed to be the stars of the 3-4 not the ILBs. And factor that Willis did it as a ROOKIE? IMO...We passed on a future HOF.....*Sigh*
Old 09-25-2008   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I said this on another thread but i'll say it again. We SHOULD'VE went with Patrick Willis instead of Amobi in the 07 draft. Considering what he's done as an ILB in 3-4 leading the league in tackles, as compared to Amobi 5.5 sacks......

The outside backers are supposed to be the stars of the 3-4 not the ILBs. And factor that Willis did it as a ROOKIE? IMO...We passed on a future HOF.....*Sigh*
right now it looks like there were SEVERAL players we should or could have picked over Danny Almonte, er, I mean Amobi Okoye. Okoye has been awful so far this year....he may have peaked like Almonte did....as a child.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #59
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
right now it looks like there were SEVERAL players we should or could have picked over Danny Almonte, er, I mean Amobi Okoye. Okoye has been awful so far this year....he may have peaked like Almonte did....as a child.
You would have said the same thing about Mario after the first two weeks of last season. You repeatedly blasted Kubiak for saying Mario was the most consistant player on D during the first half of last season. Of course that is not hard to do when you have guys like TJ and Weaver on the team. Oh and those blast turned out to oh so true ...................

NOT!!
Old 09-25-2008   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post

Besides DL is/was a huge need Amobi has as much potential as anyone but if revisionist thinking is allowed Marshawn Lynch would look awful good in battle red

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read