Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2008   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Everyone in the Texans organization from top to bottom needs to be reevaluated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
exactly..only thing that baffles me is how Weaver still has a job with this team (besides what it will cost to cut him).. I am sure he busts his butt every day, but for the am't of jack he is making. I wish there was more production

as my signature goes I don't know why our defense is so passive I mean yes the secondary is banged up but geeze

and maybe it is just that after watching GB-Dallas and seeing those front 4 play, it was like a whole another level... and it is a shame being of what the Texan organization has invested in our own front 4 (besides Mario)
Weaver, like Mario, was a move made out of necessity. Switching form the 34 to the 43 meant we did not have any DE's. The only players drafted so far for the 43 has been Williams and Amobi.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #22
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Everyone in the Texans organization from top to bottom needs to be reevaluated

I think the board should be locked down for two whole days after every game.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The board is more pleasant when the sting from reality's slap in the face wears off.
Old 09-21-2008   #24
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Watching the GB-Cowboys game.. it made me sick how the front four of those two ..get after it compared to our defensive mentality

Even that 7th rounder that the Cowboys picked up last year showed push in the center of the line (forgot his name).. much more than we see from our guys
you mean Jay Ratliff who used to be the NT for the boys before Tank Johnson got there. I have a feeling this team wont be a contender while Bob sits by idly. The reason those same "playoff teams" are talked about year in and year out is that they wont to win no matter what. I would love to know what Bob thinks about his staff after every loss because I don't think its about anything but money. I could be way off and wrong but thats just the way it seems every sunday.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #25
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Seriously. I can understand Kubiak, and the coaching staff, but Smith? I think we're going alittle too far here, he done ALOT more positive for our team then negative. Ok, the top FA he sign every year has been bad, but let's not forget the street FA he signed that became players for our team, and not to mention the amazing draft he had in the last two years(does 2006 count?).

leave rick smith alone....... the guy is the equivalent of daryl morey for the Texans.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #26
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Seriously. I can understand Kubiak, and the coaching staff, but Smith? I think we're going alittle too far here, he done ALOT more positive for our team then negative. Ok, the top FA he sign every year has been bad, but let's not forget the street FA he signed that became players for our team, and not to mention the amazing draft he had in the last two years(does 2006 count?).

leave rick smith alone....... the guy is the equivalent of daryl morey for the Texans.
Daryl Morey is LEAGUES better than Rick Smith. Morey has gone out and filled the holes in the team. He maximizes value from our draft picks. His work in the last draft was pure wizadry and lead to us getting Ron Artest. We are a legit championship contender. Rick Smith hasn't gotten close to that yet. I know the Rockets were in better shape than the Texans but Morey added key pieces without giving up the core of the team. That is huge.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #27
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Daryl Morey is LEAGUES better than Rick Smith. Morey has gone out and filled the holes in the team. He maximizes value from our draft picks. His work in the last draft was pure wizadry and lead to us getting Ron Artest. We are a legit championship contender. Rick Smith hasn't gotten close to that yet. I know the Rockets were in better shape than the Texans but Morey added key pieces without giving up the core of the team. That is huge.
Ya'll do notice that the NBA and NFL are kinda different.
Old 09-22-2008   #28
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Daryl Morey is LEAGUES better than Rick Smith. Morey has gone out and filled the holes in the team.
You're trying to say that a basketball team is comparable to a football team? They have 15 guys on their squad, we have 53. He acquired a team that already had two superstars and was a playoff team, Rick Smith acquired the worst team at the moment in 2006. We had a maximum of three bright spots on our team, out of 53.

Lets do a comparsion. Two superstar on a basketball team is 2/5 of your starters. two stars and a above average player on a football team is 3/22 starters, excluding ST which is also very important.

Quote:
He maximizes value from our draft picks.
And Smith hasn't? I'd even say he done a better job drafting players. Past draft for example, he traded back 8 spots and picked Duane Brown, Steve Slaton, and Dominique Barber. Two of them starting for us, and are doing a hell of a job at it.

Quote:
His work in the last draft was pure wizadry and lead to us getting Ron Artest. We are a legit championship contender. Rick Smith hasn't gotten close to that yet. I know the Rockets were in better shape than the Texans but Morey added key pieces without giving up the core of the team. That is huge.
53 players to 15. Morey receive a playoff team, Smith receive the worst team in the NFL.

I'd say Morey done a better job in trades. FA, Smith pick up some key players through the wavier wire and lower signings.

Last edited by J-Russ; 09-22-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2008   #29
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Texans View Post
Ya'll do notice that the NBA and NFL are kinda different.
Yea I know. All I'm saying is we're lucky we have two good GM for our sports team. Smith is not the problem, he is part of the solution and is helping our team become more competitive for this league.
Old 09-22-2008   #30
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
You're trying to say that a basketball team is comparable to a football team? They have 15 guys on their squad, we have 53. He acquired a team that already had two superstars and was a playoff team, Rick Smith acquired the worst team at the moment in 2006. We had a maximum of three bright spots on our team, out of 53.

Lets do a comparsion. Two superstar on a basketball team is 2/5 of your starters. two stars and a above average player on a football team is 3/22 starters, excluding ST which is also very important.

And Smith hasn't? I'd even say he done a better job drafting players. Past draft for example, he traded back 8 spots and picked Duane Brown, Steve Slaton, and Dominique Barber. Two of them starting for us, and are doing a hell of a job at it.

53 players to 15. Morey receive a playoff team, Smith receive the worst team in the NFL.

I'd say Morey done a better job in trades. FA, Smith pick up some key players through the wavier wire and lower signings.
You are the one who brought Daryl Morey into this conversation by saying Rick Smith is like him. I know the sports are different, but I just wanted to show you that Morey has clearly done a better job.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #31
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand how Rick Smith could even be brought up. The dude has drafted unbelievably well for this team, and aside from a few flukes in the free agency (namely Ahman), has done a pretty outstanding job overall.

I know some of you hate to hear it, but this team has more talent than ever before. Despite a number of holes, we have the personnel to win more often than not. Given, it takes more than talent to create success, and that seems to be our problem area.
Old 09-22-2008   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Take all of my repTF great post

LATO I believe you are on to something we are ranked no.4 in revenue but we stink as a team.

Mr. McNair is the worst kind of CEO the kind that tells you that you have the kind of authority to do what you need to do to be sucessful but then puts restrictions on what needs to be done to be sucessful.

(Carr, signing only people who don't have a past, not willing to spend money on a big money FA ( Clements for example). This cut into the bottom line.

In todays NFL if you aren't willing to spend money in FA or willing to take a chance on FA's with a past then you are doomed to failure.

I believe the best way to build s team is through the draft but supplement the team through FA or taking a chance on 1 or 2 low character guys to fill holes.

Mr. McNair won't follow this plan because it

1. cuts into the bottom line $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2. Doesn't follow his plan that has been sucessfull in othe businesses.

The NFL is not like other businesses because it dependes on players that grew up in disavantaged backgrounds.

This is coming from a long suffering (2003 season ticket holder).

KUBES bet the farm on Schaub lets hope he got it right.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this here thingy the Texans got going is deeper than it appears on the surface, meaning that- it was initiated years ago before the first game ever played in 2002. Its not going to help anything getting on Gary or his staff, certainly not Rick Smith who has been limited with what he can do in free agency because of the existing salary cap mess. no you have to look deeper & find something that sticks, been around awhile & directly affects the talent on the field. that would be Bobby Grier http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Fr...t_office_id=61

several high ranking board members have mentioned his name & I'm inclined to agree it may be best for the Texans to move on tweaking the infrastructure not changing more visable Gary or Rick who I hope are here a long, long time.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 09-22-2008 at 09:22 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

BL

Why do you think Mr. McNair didn't clean house when he fired the CC regime?

He even fired the salary cap guy (Ferens) but for some reason he decided to keep Riley, Grier & Hoke around.

These are the 3 areas that need to be upgraded in the organization. The team will not improve until they make these changes.

Hoke They brought in Rhodes to help him do his job.
Riley Consistently getting whipped on the OL & DL Leads league in injuries every year.

Grier Helped put us in SC trouble during CC regime & will do the same to Smithiak if he is not fired. Name one quality FA the man has signed. The man is incompetent @ his job & need to be fired. There is only 2 reasons he has a job
1. He has helped make Mr. McNair make money.
2. He is a minority & the Texans are trying to be racially diverse in the high up FO positions.

Please make these changes in the organization Mr. McNair.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Its still not a Rick Smith signing and that is the point.
Two words: Bobby Grier.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #36
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

It's time to start looking at the bottom line here.

Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy have been at their respective jobs just as long as Kubiak has been in Houston. IIRC, they took over 3 and 4 win teams the same year Kubes took over a 2 win team.

I don't think that it's too early to start expecting results.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #37
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
It's time to start looking at the bottom line here.

Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy have been at their respective jobs just as long as Kubiak has been in Houston. IIRC, they took over 3 and 4 win teams the same year Kubes took over a 2 win team.

I don't think that it's too early to start expecting results.
I hear you and I am as frustrated as anyone as to the performance of this team. To be fair - both the Saints and the Packers were in a significantly better position (personell wise) than the Texans after that season. Frankly, we were lucky to win 2, while both the Packers and the Saints underperformed. We have started off rough this season, but we have improved the past two seasons, while simultaneously completely turning over the roster.

I will say that the coaching the past two games has been horrible and it is worrisome. You have to give Kubes some wiggle room because he is playing some young guys - but the team just hasn't looked focused or prepared for the last two games. The quality of the oppenents and the situation at home has made for difficult situations - but the coaching staff ought to at least keep us from being blown out in the opener. I coaching decisions impacted the outcome of the game yesterday.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #38
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61481 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

The first post by TF was the best one I have ever read of his. AWESOME post!

Since I largely agree with his statements, let me take at least minor umbrage on one point - I think you can get talented players that aren't going to embarrass the city, the team, or it's fans. No they don't have to be choir boys, but I don't want a Michael Vick or Pacman either. They only cause distractions and divisions and you can't count on them. We could stand to relax our standards a bit, but I'm not for fielding a team team of felons either.
Old 09-22-2008   #39
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You are the one who brought Daryl Morey into this conversation by saying Rick Smith is like him. I know the sports are different, but I just wanted to show you that Morey has clearly done a better job.
Yea I did, saying they're both a good gm and they both help their team. I wasn't comparing two different sports like you were.
Old 09-22-2008   #40
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

honestly i dont think Pacman could have helped us .....

Vince young and his momma naaaaa

Bush is still growing

and tank johnson is fat and old

has i look at these names all i see is problems and iam glad we didnt pick them see this is where stability is for the better
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read