Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2008   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our OLBs

Our outside linebackers have been terrible these first two games. It's obvious that we are going to be exploited on a week to week basis for our lack of speed at OLB.

My question is, what do we do? What are our options that are already on the roster?

I don't know what Xavier Adibi's health status is but if someone could provide a update on that, it would be nice.

At this point I would rather have a guy out there that can run in pursuit with no tackling ability than our OLBs. Atleast then we could slow some of these plays down, rather than giving up 10+ yards on dink and dunk plays or QB runs. Diles and Greenwood have terrible pursuit ability and really aren't very good tacklers. Diles can make a tackle if the guy is running right at him, but ask him to cover a TE or make a tackle on a shifty offensive player and your asking too much.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Our outside linebackers have been terrible these first two games. It's obvious that we are going to be exploited on a week to week basis for our lack of speed at OLB.

My question is, what do we do? What are our options that are already on the roster?

I don't know what Xavier Adibi's health status is but if someone could provide a update on that, it would be nice.

At this point I would rather have a guy out there that can run in pursuit with no tackling ability than our OLBs who have terrible pursuit ability and really aren't very good tacklers. Diles can make a tackle if the guy is running right at him, but ask him to cover a TE or make a tackle on a shifty offensive player and your asking too much.
Our OLBers are horrible. Diles puts up tackle numbers but its not b/c he is attacking the LOS.

Good news is this draft is appearing to be a good draft for OLB and we have both of our 1st day picks.

Unless we have to pick #1 again we should be drafting a solid OLB in the first.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Our OLBers are horrible. Diles puts up tackle numbers but its not b/c he is attacking the LOS.
Good news is this draft is appearing to be a good draft for OLB and we have both of our 1st day picks.

Unless we have to pick #1 again we should be drafting a solid OLB in the first.
Diles and Greenwood ..... remond me of Jay Foreman. Lots of tackles .... after the guy picks up 8 yards.

Yep , Our LB's are a liability.

I'm hoping beyond all hope that Adibi gets on the field soon if for no other reason to see what we have in him and what we need to fix.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #4
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying this for two seasons now and people just don't listen. Our outside linebackers are garbage!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #5
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

I agree with this post. Swing passes and screen passes are staples in our opponents game plans against us.

Along with Adibi, I would like to see Molden and Okam get extended playing time. Lets get the youngsters out on the field.
Old 09-21-2008   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Any update on Adibi?

How about these other guys? I wouldn't mind Thompson or Bentley getting significant playing time. Can't get much worse than Greenwood and Diles at this point. Two guys who really shouldn't be starters for any team.

We also don't have a safety to cover these linebackers' mistakes, or just lack of athletic ability. I think it's more of the latter. If we had a guy like Bob Sanders, or even Kenny Phillips we wouldn't be having as much problem defending these short throws over the middle or to the outside that end up going for way more yardage than they should. Or the QB runs that we saw today.

We obviously can't do anything about this now, but we desperately need to get some more athletic outside linebackers and a safety in this next draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I've been saying this for two seasons now and people just don't listen. Our outside linebackers are garbage!
I was saying this a little bit last year, and I was actually calling out for Adibi to be drafted by us. I'm so happy he was. However, the problem is larger than just one player. We need to draft a stock of athletic linebackers to come in here and re-energize this group. Greenwood looks like he doesn't even care. Almost as if he just really doesn't want to get injured before he retires.

I really think Adibi can be one of those guys for us, but he has got to get on the field this year and cement his position at that WLB spot.

I saw threetoadpete and Vinny's post in another thread talking about the Steelers and their linebackers, and you know they've got it figured out. They've got alot of ATHLETIC linebackers on that roster. Guys like Timmons coming of the bench and not only giving their starter some rest but, as Vinny pointed out, also to matchup to certain formations. We have got to invest in the linebacker and safety positions in the draft, especially in the tough nosed division that we play in.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 09-21-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2008   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Does anybody have an update on Adibi? Please provide it if you do.
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2008   #8
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

This is the reason why i think we will be KICKING ourselves for picking Amobi instead of patrick willis, who went 11th to SF.
Old 09-24-2008   #9
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Does anybody have an update on Adibi? Please provide it if you do.

The only thing I know is he is out with an achilles injury, not sure when to expect him back though.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post

Uh, youre not the only one trust me. Its well documented how I have felt about our OLB's for along time now.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
The only thing I know is he is out with an achilles injury, not sure when to expect him back though.
I had said before the season started that we should've IR'd Adibi. That would've allowed us to keep Kevis Coley while Adibi rehabbed and bulked up a bit more.

Either way, I agree that OLB is a huge problem for this defense. WE NEED SPEED!!
Old 09-24-2008   #12
da Bull
Rookie

Where is Corley? Both he and Moffitt made a bunch of tackles in the last game, all be it against now non-roster players. But at least they showed when they got their "chance".
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
Where is Corley? Both he and Moffitt made a bunch of tackles in the last game, all be it against now non-roster players. But at least they showed when they got their "chance".
He was just released from the practice squad a week or two ago. We signed a TE to replace him. I guess because Bruener's been hurt. Other than that, I haven't got a clue why they brought in another TE.
Old 09-24-2008   #14
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
Kevis Coley? He was cut from the practice squad last week... I liked him too, but I don't think he would make a difference for us right now.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #15
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I had said before the season started that we should've IR'd Adibi. That would've allowed us to keep Kevis Coley while Adibi rehabbed and bulked up a bit more.

Either way, I agree that OLB is a huge problem for this defense. WE NEED SPEED!!

Bring this guy out of retirement.....

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #16
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Uh, youre not the only one trust me. Its well documented how I have felt about our OLB's for along time now.
I think I'm probably the first one ever to complain about that position..
Old 09-24-2008   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think I'm probably the first one ever to complain about that position..

No way man I was first!
Old 09-24-2008   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way man I was first!
You should have seen some of the posts on the old board ..... Hence my reference to Jay Foremen and our current OLB.s

They still suck

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way man I was first!
I may not be the 1st but Iam sure of one thing

I WILL NOT BE THE LAST to say the olb's stink.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No way man I was first!
I was jsut kidding. For some reason the smileys arent showing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read