Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2008   #1
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Do we see this team improving?

I didn't expect the Texans to do that well in the first five games of the season. We have played two very stout defenses and a Pittsburgh team that should be vying for the SB.

That being said, it is hard to get excited about this team right now. Is there any chance this team makes marked improvement as the season continues? Slaton seems to be a bright spot. Duane Brown ought to get better. We have Dunta coming back on D. Will any of this make a difference or is this team doomed for the same that we have seen?

I want to keep on watching and following, but it gets harder and harder every week.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we see this team improving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I didn't expect the Texans to do that well in the first five games of the season. We have played two very stout defenses and a Pittsburgh team that should be vying for the SB.

That being said, it is hard to get excited about this team right now. Is there any chance this team makes marked improvement as the season continues? Slaton seems to be a bright spot. Duane Brown ought to get better. We have Dunta coming back on D. Will any of this make a difference or is this team doomed for the same that we have seen?

I want to keep on watching and following, but it gets harder and harder every week.

It's pretty ugly. I don't think that it is inherently ugly like let's say, Kansas City. There are aspects of the team that are underperforming that you have seen better performances of. There are aspects of the team that look rusty. Or look like they are learning.

The defense. That doesn't look good at all. Their best hope is if the offense finds any mojo at all and keeps them off the field.

They need to survive relatively healthy with some sort of confidence until they get to the less yucky parts of the schedule. If the Texans had a solid D, it would be easier to be learning stuff on the offense and playing better on the road. But right now, just about everything is struggling.
Old 09-21-2008   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

They will make some progress tho it might not show up in the standings.

Slaton looks like the real deal even behind a sloppy O-line.

D.Brown has had his hands full so far and it wont get any easier in the next two weeks , I expect him to take some lumps .... But I also expect him to get better every week and hold the LT spot for quite a few years.

D-Rob coming back will help the secondary but what the hell is going to help our LB's ..... Outside of Demeco they SUCK.

Dick Smith will get fired eventually .... they have spent far too much money and too many high draft picks on the D-L to get this kind of production and it starts with Smith. That in itself would be an improvement .... even if they replaced Smith with ... My cat and she has no claws.

Looking at the schedule .... I can envision 4-12. Like I said , improvement might not show up in the standings .... Kinda like the Capers' era.

As for you not following them cause they suck .... just remember that many of us have been following them since day one , it could be worse. 2-14 sucked. But we are still here .... with many of the same problems.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It's pretty ugly. I don't think that it is inherently ugly like let's say, Kansas City. There are aspects of the team that are underperforming that you have seen better performances of. There are aspects of the team that look rusty. Or look like they are learning.

The defense. That doesn't look good at all. Their best hope is if the offense finds any mojo at all and keeps them off the field.

They need to survive relatively healthy with some sort of confidence until they get to the less yucky parts of the schedule. If the Texans had a solid D, it would be easier to be learning stuff on the offense and playing better on the road. But right now, just about everything is struggling.
At this point what part of the schedule isnt yucky .... outside of the Lions and possibly Raiders games ?

Old 09-21-2008   #5
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see how you can say our defense is worse than our offense. All of our big plays except a very few have come on D. Including Marios sacks last week, the INT today, and the fumble recovery. I mean neither one has looked good but our D has looked better.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #6
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Might as well start Barber and Harrison at safety and Molden at corner. Give them time to learn because we aren't going to be good for a long time still. Should have kept Brink too and let him start.

Since we like to give everyone a chance and play the hard-workers, it's time to start grabbing some tailgaters and people from the messageboard and give them time in coaching positions.

Let's put John McClain in a lineman position somewhere. At least it will be fun to watch him fall.

Feeling a little negative at the moment.

Serious improvements? At this point, I don't know. We've had so much turnover in the roster, yet I can't think of more than a handful of guys on this team that I would want to keep.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
Might as well start Barber and Harrison at safety and Molden at corner. Give them time to learn because we aren't going to be good for a long time still. Should have kept Brink too and let him start.

Since we like to give everyone a chance and play the hard-workers, it's time to start grabbing some tailgaters and people from the messageboard and give them time in coaching positions.

Let's put John McClain in a lineman position somewhere. At least it will be fun to watch him fall.

Feeling a little negative at the moment.

Serious improvements? At this point, I don't know. We've had so much turnover in the roster, yet I can't think of more than a handful of guys on this team that I would want to keep.
How bout we trade McClain to Tennessee for half of a hot beer. I'd do the deal for the backwash .... and I'd buy them a beer of they took Anna Megan too.

Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2008   #8
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder when the texans will be relevant. Each yr I hope for relevance, and all we get is well, losses. When our opponents see the Texans on the schedule they mark a W on the board and tell the media how they don't want to take them to lightly b/c they're dangerous. Though AJ did not play that great today, he and Mario are/will waste their prime in this losing situation. Would a real ground attack take care of all these problems, I wonder.
Frustrated fan for life.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
I wonder when the texans will be relevant. Each yr I hope for relevance, and all we get is well, losses. When our opponents see the Texans on the schedule they mark a W on the board and tell the media how they don't want to take them to lightly b/c they're dangerous. Though AJ did not play that great today, he and Mario are/will waste their prime in this losing situation. Would a real ground attack take care of all these problems, I wonder.
Frustrated fan for life.
The ground game was the lone highlight in today's game .... that answer your question ?

Old 09-21-2008   #10
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see improvement. Excuse me a second, I almost dropped my crack rock. Jezz, I know we've played 2 tough teams, but we stink. For the first time I am no longer in opposition of letting Sage take the reigns. That fizxes that, but how is it that there is virtually no pressure on the QB?
Old 09-21-2008   #11
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The ground game was the lone highlight in today's game .... that answer your question ?
true, true,......
Hmm, what about a more dominant ground attack that is consistent and has depth. What happens when slaton hits the rookie wall of overachievement?
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At this point what part of the schedule isnt yucky .... outside of the Lions and possibly Raiders games ?
Home games would help. The Kubiak teams have been awful on the road.
Old 09-21-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Raiders are playing for Kiffen & the Lions are just as desperate

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #14
DeepSteelBlue
Rookie

I guess having no home games will be one of the latest excuses for this team. We can probably go ahead and add "having to play with the roof open because 5 panels are missing" to the list as well. Everything is an excuse with this team.

Every NFL team has a tough schedule (you know, the "any given Sunday" type stuff) and every NFL team has injuries. It's time this team start playing like an NFL team and overcoming the tough schedules, playing on the road, dealing with injuries, and the trials that may come their way. New Orleans bounced back after Katrina. The Chargers kicked our butts after fires threatened to burn down San Diego.

I've been a Texan fan from the very beginning and will continue to be a fan so save the bandwagon comments. Fact is the fans and the city deserve better than excuses from this team.
DeepSteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #15
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting my power back and having airconditioning helps my attitude towards today's game. I haven't been able to catch up with all the posts and threads on the game, but....although we stunk today, I did not feel we got beat today as badly as we got beat in the Pittsburgh game. We beat ourselves today with mistakes across the board, but until the end - it did not feel totally hopeless. So I guess that is improvement.

Maybe we can chalk this one up to Ike and being stressed and rusty.
Old 09-21-2008   #16
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see dis improvement we are going backwards
Old 09-21-2008   #17
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 375 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to split hairs, but the Saints bounced back the next year. In '05 they were 3-13.
Old 09-21-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I think we're improving.

I think we'll improve a lot more if Schaub steps up his play OR we start Sage.

But I think Schaub would have had a much better day if AJ had caught a couple of passes in the end zone. On one of the plays, AJ said that he thought he was alone and didn't realize Nick Harper was right there and so he didn't make the right move on the ball. If Schaub has a TD or two to go with those 3 picks, his day suddenly looks a lot better.

Hell, so far this season Schaub has been terrible in the first half with a rating of 24.5 (his rating is 71.4 in the second half.) We've got to get that fixed.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read