Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2008   #21
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I know line of scrimmage talk is boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I was being polite when I said 8-8 may be out of reach. I see a team that is always confused with questionable talent and coaching in many areas. I don't know how long it will be until the players mentally hang it up. It has happened before here.
I'm wondering if guys like AJ are regretting the extensions they signed? I hope not, but frustration can only be staved off so long.

Correct me if I am wrong, but was there not a series at about the Tenn. 2 yd. line in the 4th qtr. that went: pass, pass, pass, run(Slaton) where he came up about 1/2 yard short of the goal line?
Old 09-21-2008   #22
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
I'm wondering if guys like AJ are regretting the extensions they signed?
I'd bet there would be much regret if the Texans regress as little as 6-10.
Old 09-21-2008   #23
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's hear it for the seniors!
Hey, old guys need love too.

Pretty much I expected the Texans to look really ugly in September given the schedule. A bunch of physical defenses against a Texans offense trying to learn their stuff.

My thought was that the team had to survive September without serious injury to see if they could get out of the month with any confidence left.

I think last year's 8-8 team played over their head. Didn't see any quit in them. You know how hard it is to go 8-8 with a bottom ranked defense and all those turnovers? I think that this Texans team is a few really good players surrounded by try hard guys.
Old 09-21-2008   #24
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm wondering if guys like AJ are regretting the extensions they signed? I hope not, but frustration can only be staved off so long.

Correct me if I am wrong, but was there not a series at about the Tenn. 2 yd. line in the 4th qtr. that went: pass, pass, pass, run(Slaton) where he came up about 1/2 yard short of the goal line?
if he keeps playing like he did today im gonna regret the extension he sighned. he had 2 td's in his hand an couldnt catch one of them.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #25
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I'm a in the trenchhes type cuz that's wwhere games are won orr lost.I stiill think its square pegs for rou holes. Schaub is a midline passer, so u should have big stout guys like philly. The texans have smallish guy s built for plummer and garcia types. With al that said, that has nothing to do with schaub thrrowing behind guys ad mising wide open receivers.
Old 09-21-2008   #26
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone get a chance to really see how Amobi and TJ played today? I know that it's hard to quantify a DT's play by stats but I don't recall hearing either of their names.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #27
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
if he keeps playing like he did today im gonna regret the extension he sighned. he had 2 td's in his hand an couldnt catch one of them.
Today, yes, however he has been our most consistent (and best) offensive player since he has been here.
Old 09-21-2008   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Today, yes, however he has been our most consistent (and best) offensive player since he has been here.
Agreed. Dude had a bad game, one of the only I have seen.

It's the guys who consistently have bad games that we need to be worried about.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Anyone get a chance to really see how Amobi and TJ played today? I know that it's hard to quantify a DT's play by stats but I don't recall hearing either of their names.
TJ did not play , Zgonina started and Okam saw some time.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #30
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, no wonder I didn't hear TJ's name. How'd Amobi do? I suck at paying attention to the line play and I'm at a place without DVR and my DVR at home probably didn't record because there ain't electricity there.
Old 09-21-2008   #31
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Quote:
Oh, no wonder I didn't hear TJ's name. How'd Amobi do? I suck at paying attention to the line play and I'm at a place without DVR and my DVR at home probably didn't record because there ain't electricity there.
I heard on the radio during the drive home, that between all the DT's that played today they had a combined, 1 tackle. Be nice if that report was wrong, but at this point it does not seem out of the question.
Old 09-21-2008   #32
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I heard on the radio during the drive home, that between all the DT's that played today they had a combined, 1 tackle. Be nice if that report was wrong, but at this point it does not seem out of the question.
1 tackle by all the DT's with all the running the Titans were doing would be pretty freaking ridiculous.
Old 09-21-2008   #33
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the D only allowed 3 points in the second half and that was on a short field.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think line talk is boring.

IMO, our o-line looked "OK" only in comparison to the Texans o-lines we are used to seeing. When I watch other teams play, the good ones don't have their QBs in the state of near disaster on play after play as we see with the Texans. The average ones have more consistency.
I kinda disagree. First off, I thought our QB (for the most part) got enough time. Sure, there were some whiffs where he had no chance and got creamed and there were some times that the pocket wasn't clean but that's life.

Secondly, I've watched a lot of other teams and a lot of other games and many teams are successful with line play as good as we've gotten. The Dallas line is really good (although built according to a totally different scheme than ours) but Romo gets TONS of pressure. He still makes plays. I'm watching them right now and for the past several pass plays, Romo hasn't had a clean pocket and yet he just hit Crayton for a TD. Or look at the Steelers... they are 2-1 and Roethlisberger has gotten massacred (especially today).

Can our line play better? Yes, it can and yes, it should. But it's giving us enough time to be successful in the passing game and big enough holes in the run game if we hit them on time and if we can break one tackle.

I don't think the line was the problem today.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TJ didn't play. Amobi got some pressure occasionally. In the second half, I thought Okam and Zgonina played pretty well, although Zgonina got blowed up by Mawae on the QB Sneak out of the end zone.
Old 09-21-2008   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1 tackle by all the DT's with all the running the Titans were doing would be pretty freaking ridiculous.
Deljuan Robinson got an assist. Zgonina got an assist. Okoye got 3 assists and was in Collins' face a couple of times. Okam got a tackle and I thought he did a good job plugging up the middle in the second half.
Old 09-21-2008   #37
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Deljuan Robinson got an assist. Zgonina got an assist. Okoye got 3 assists and was in Collins' face a couple of times. Okam got a tackle and I thought he did a good job plugging up the middle in the second half.
I didn't pay close attention to who was playing at each point in the game, but it did seem to me that when the announcers said Okam came in, the DL looked better on the next play. Also, I thought Mario looked OK (not great) today (unlike the rest of the DL).
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #38
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dick Smith likes slow OLB's, 10 yard cushions, and arm tackles. It's a new scheme that we're perfecting week by week.
Don't forget sending DEs into coverage so that someone else can rush the passer...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #39
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yep. I think Lance Z said some positive things about him and Chaun Thompson today. I think these guys should be getting more snaps, perhaps even start, for our defense.

I'm starting to really question our coaching staff... It seems like we know more about football then them. We knew Green and Reeves were bad signing. Also, I could've sworn we said we needed to start guys like Slaton, Okam, Molden, Cochran, etc... in the pre-season. Two out of those four seems to be right so far in this young season.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #40
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Adibi might really help us out when it comes to Line backer speed right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read