Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2008   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I know line of scrimmage talk is boring

I know it's not sexy like the Fire Kubiak and Fire Smith and Dump Schaub threads.

But this team lost because we got beat in the trenches. We got dominated up front, on both sides of the line.

I know . . . yeah but, yeah but, yeah but . . .

But all those other things are NOT why the team is getting beat like it is.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #2
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I know line of scrimmage talk is boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I know it's not sexy like the Fire Kubiak and Fire Smith and Dump Schaub threads.

But this team lost because we got beat in the trenches. We got dominated up front, on both sides of the line.

Change qb and see if it's the line. We heard the same thing about the o-line with Carr and when he was going the o-line wasn't the problem anymore.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
Change qb and see if it's the line. We heard the same thing about the o-line with Carr and when he was going the o-line wasn't the problem anymore.
Who? Oh, you mean Sage?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
Do you really think that we did not get our butts kicked on both sides of the line today?

Let's start seeing all the trees in the forest:

Our LOS is WEAK AND our QB cannot "make" plays.
David Carr sucked AND our O-line (for the most part) sucked.
It is both and it was both.
Schaub is far superior to David Carr, and this is somehow possible while he simultaneously is a sub-par starter.

First thing to do: Forget all that conundrum crap and replace our ***** DC.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I read somewhere that Tom Nalen was a real strong guy for his size ( plays heavy ) . He's been the Broncos center forever and a day .

I'm not sure our center is the same way . Heck except for our two young tackles ... nobody should feel comfortable .

The DL ... it's not like we have'nt spent high picks on them . We're just not good .
Old 09-21-2008   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

We win and lose in the trenches ... thats all there is 2 it and we lost Period

esp are O line

are D line was decent
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Do you really think that we did not get our butts kicked on both sides of the line today?

Let's start seeing all the trees in the forest:

Our LOS is WEAK AND our QB cannot "make" plays.
David Carr sucked AND our O-line (for the most part) sucked.
It is both and it was both.
Schaub is far superior to David Carr, and this is somehow possible while he simultaneously is a sub-par starter.

First thing to do: Forget all that conundrum crap and replace our ***** DC.
I think the Titans sat on the lead in the 2nd half and played ball control . When they were playing for real , we did'nt do so hot .

They kicked our butts when it counted .
Old 09-21-2008   #8
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoa. I know you guys don't agree with me,but our skill positions lost us this game today, IMO. Which surprised me. We blocked pretty well for the most part, and their wasn't consistent pressure on Matt the whole game. Granted he got sacked 3 times, but I thought the O-line held their own, we ran the ball very effectively. On The d-line there were several plays where we got pressure on Collins. I'm not saying they played great, but I think most of the blame should be elsewhere.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #9
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

The line didn't lose this game in my opinion. The only thing they did is help Slaton solidify the starting RB position.

That was the bright spot of this game. I think we may have a real running back. Griffin knows we do.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think line talk is boring.

IMO, our o-line looked "OK" only in comparison to the Texans o-lines we are used to seeing. When I watch other teams play, the good ones don't have their QBs in the state of near disaster on play after play as we see with the Texans. The average ones have more consistency.
Old 09-21-2008   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I made this post in another thread not two minutes ago .... so I'll just copy and paste it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yep , they came up against top flight competition .... and in the AFC South they are gonna see Fat Albert and Henderson twice a year .... Those guy's are expected to make plays ..... They just seem to make an awful lot of plays against the Texans.

Looking at the types of defenses the Texans will face at least 25% of the season and in 50% of their divisional games they would be better suited with a ....dare I say .... Cowbow's type O-line and scheme .... Road grader type guy's rather than the ZBS and smaller more agile linemen.
Although the running game was pretty solid today I give a lot of that credit to Slaton
Ive thought this about our O-line on more than one occasion .... maybe I'm the only one but its starting to make more sense as we continue to get beat up front.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't think line talk is boring.

IMO, our o-line looked "OK" only in comparison to the Texans o-lines we are used to seeing. When I watch other teams play, the good ones don't have their QBs in the state of near disaster on play after play as we see with the Texans. The average ones have more consistency.
I think the DL is s bigger letdown than the OL .
Old 09-21-2008   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think the DL is s bigger letdown than the OL .
In other words, the Texans aren't very good.

8-8 may be out of reach.
Old 09-21-2008   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I made this post in another thread not two minutes ago .... so I'll just copy and paste it here.

Although the running game was pretty solid today I give a lot of that credit to Slaton
Ive thought this about our O-line on more than one occasion .... maybe I'm the only one but its starting to make more sense as we continue to get beat up front.
I agree 100%. We can't even run for a yard or two when we need it. We can only run when there is 5+ yards to make. Basically we can't run when they know we are going to run, which you need to be able to do in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
8-8 may be out of reach.
OHHH yea, 8-8 is a stretch. We would be lucky to win 6 or 7 games this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody was out of sync.

The lines looked overmatched.
The defensive scheme in particular looked goofy.
The offensive scheme looked rusty. Line bad, receivers bad.
Matt Turk showed amazing athleticism throwing as he was falling. I mean, yeah, it went directly to the wrong guy, but that was still impressive for an old guy.

Really, the Steve Slaton show was encouraging. For him to have his runs when everything looked awful is a small light of nonsuck.

As far as being fixable...

I have a little hope that the offensive line is fixable. They are working with a newish system and with three new guys on the line. Maybe they get better--though they were really worked by large physical lines as not uncommon with ZBS first teams. They look better if guys had caught a few more balls that they normally catch.

I have not much hope for the defense. If Kerry Freaking Collins can run on you at will, you are really messed up.
Old 09-21-2008   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Matt Turk showed amazing athleticism throwing as he was falling. I mean, yeah, it went directly to the wrong guy, but that was still impressive for an old guy.

I have not much hope for the defense. If Kerry Freaking Collins can run on you at will, you are really messed up.
Let's hear it for the seniors!
Old 09-21-2008   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
If Kerry Freaking Collins can run on you at will, you are really messed up.
Especially when it is a called play. Not a scramble. A called play for Kerry Collins to run. They had zero respect for our outside linebackers' speed. I keep seeing the Yay Zac Diles posts. I'm confused. The guy was beat for a touchdown today. Should have been 2 but one got called back. He is about as slow as Greenwood, may be even slower. I don't see anything that Diles can do other than tackle a guy running directly at him. Maybe it's just a high tackle number on the stat sheet that people are so happy about. Honestly, he looks like a college football player.

We are going to continue to get beat on easy little dump off passes and QB runs if we don't change our OLBs. They are WAAAAAY too slow.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Especially when it is a called play. Not a scramble. A called play for Kerry Collins to run. They had zero respect for our outside linebackers' speed. I keep seeing the Yay Zac Diles posts. I'm confused. The guy was beat for a touchdown today. Should have been 2 but one got called back. He is about as slow as Greenwood, may be even slower. I don't see anything that Diles can do other than tackle a guy running directly at him. Maybe it's just a high tackle number on the stat sheet that people are so happy about. Honestly, he looks like a college football player.

We are going to continue to get beat on easy little dump off passes and QB runs if we don't change our OLBs. They are WAAAAAY too slow.
I was thinking the exact same thing as I read TC's post.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
OHHH yea, 8-8 is a stretch. We would be lucky to win 6 or 7 games this year.
I was being polite when I said 8-8 may be out of reach. I see a team that is always confused with questionable talent and coaching in many areas. I don't know how long it will be until the players mentally hang it up. It has happened before here.
Old 09-21-2008   #20
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Dick Smith likes slow OLB's, 10 yard cushions, and arm tackles. It's a new scheme that we're perfecting week by week.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read