Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2008   #61
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Start Sage!

Matt Schaub, the representative of the Texans offense...........QB rating 26............should be right up there with the head coach's rating.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #62
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sadly i'm now starting to lean this way... they are virtually the same guy back there.. Winston has attested to such on sports radio 610, but yesterday Schaub's arm strength got him picked twice yesterday & outside of griffin just making 2 great plays (a guy not regarded as a ball hawk), i have to believe that if it were anyone else who had even a minuscle more zip on their pass, Griffin's 2 picks would've been completions or at least just batted away. Sage has that little extra "umff".

So make room for me on the start sage bandwagon...where's the beer!
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #63
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Matt Schaub, the representative of the Texans offense...........QB rating 26............should be right up there with the head coach's rating.
Personally, I wonder if either one of our quarterbacks are The Franchise quarterback that every team is looking for or is hoping doesn't get hurt.

I wrote up something about quarterback change over at the Chron blog:

Want to bench Matt Schaub? Here's some things to think about.

There are some teams where you KNOW the quarterback play is the only thing holding that team back. Like teams that have great defenses, great running games, great lines. See e.g. Vikings, Titans.

With the Texans, there are so many things not clicking that just changing one element may fix a lot of things (like getting rid of Carr) or could result in just more chaos.

To me, with what I saw last year into this year, I'd like to see if the team can settle down and get confidence with their current offensive configuration.
Work on the line play. Figure out Slaton's role and how to best use him. Get back to the football play of last year where the Texans had very few dropped passes compared to the rest of the league.

They look rusty and trying to figure the new things out. Like a first team offense that played the Cowboys for part of a game, took a week off, got crushed against the Steelers, took a miserable week off, and then looked rusty against a good Titans defense. They need to get their stuff together.
Old 09-22-2008   #64
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 91201 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Sadly i'm now starting to lean this way... they are virtually the same guy back there.. Winston has attested to such on sports radio 610, but yesterday Schaub's arm strength got him picked twice yesterday & outside of griffin just making 2 great plays (a guy not regarded as a ball hawk), i have to believe that if it were anyone else who had even a minuscle more zip on their pass, Griffin's 2 picks would've been completions or at least just batted away. Sage has that little extra "umff".

So make room for me on the start sage bandwagon...where's the beer!
IMO, Sage has a quicker drop too. Better feet

I was a proponent of bringing Schaub here and still am, but GD Kubiak! There are times when things aren't going your way no matter what you do.
Old 09-22-2008   #65
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, Sage has a quicker drop too. Better feet

I was a proponent of bringing Schaub here and still am, but GD Kubiak! There are times when things aren't going your way no matter what you do.
Better feet? I think the biggest difference between Schaub and Sage in the drop is that Schaub's mechanics are more reproduceable and Sage's are inconsistent.

I also don't believe you can say that Rosenfels had a stronger arm than Schaub. The stats don't show it and my eye doesn't see that either.

Schaub has looked very wrong though. The key I think is whether they can properly evaluate him to see if he is trying to play through injury stuff and trying to be a hero, but really hurting his team.
Old 09-22-2008   #66
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Better feet? I think the biggest difference between Schaub and Sage in the drop is that Schaub's mechanics are more reproduceable and Sage's are inconsistent.

I also don't believe you can say that Rosenfels had a stronger arm than Schaub. The stats don't show it and my eye doesn't see that either.
I agree.

The only advantage I see that Sage has over Schaub is his mobility.

Sage is a chucker. Brett Favre-esque without the ability.
Old 09-22-2008   #67
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 140789 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, I wonder if either one of our quarterbacks are The Franchise quarterback that every team is looking for or is hoping doesn't get hurt.

I wrote up something about quarterback change over at the Chron blog:

Want to bench Matt Schaub? Here's some things to think about.

There are some teams where you KNOW the quarterback play is the only thing holding that team back. Like teams that have great defenses, great running games, great lines. See e.g. Vikings, Titans.

With the Texans, there are so many things not clicking that just changing one element may fix a lot of things (like getting rid of Carr) or could result in just more chaos.

To me, with what I saw last year into this year, I'd like to see if the team can settle down and get confidence with their current offensive configuration.
Work on the line play. Figure out Slaton's role and how to best use him. Get back to the football play of last year where the Texans had very few dropped passes compared to the rest of the league.

They look rusty and trying to figure the new things out. Like a first team offense that played the Cowboys for part of a game, took a week off, got crushed against the Steelers, took a miserable week off, and then looked rusty against a good Titans defense. They need to get their stuff together.
I'm on board with TC . I think Kubiak is trying to be Denver light and Denver drafted Cutler in the 1st round . Before that they tried everything in the book to replace Elway but found out you can't replace a huge talent unless it's with a talented guy .

Denver still runs the ZBs but to me it works best in the thin air . Why ... the bigger guys have a hard time breathing . We've done verything to duplicate the Broncos ... even have a Shanahan ... but we were better when we played more like the Packers .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 09-22-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2008   #68
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 91201 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaub has looked very wrong though. The key I think is whether they can properly evaluate him to see if he is trying to play through injury stuff and trying to be a hero, but really hurting his team.
Going by what I've seen and noticed, Schaub is slothlike in his drop compared to Sage.

You know, they have also said Schaub's decision making is better than Sage's. Well, I don't know about y'all but his decision making has been piss poor.
Old 09-22-2008   #69
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 140789 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Going by what I've seen and noticed, Schaub is slothlike in his drop compared to Sage.

You know, they have also said Schaub's decision making is better than Sage's. Well, I don't know about y'all but his decision making has been piss poor.
Schaub is not as fast with longer strides .
Old 09-22-2008   #70
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lets put it this way... To me, Sage's arm strength looks closer to average & schaub's looks below average; that was a knock on him coming out of college & continued to be during his days in ATL. There are times when schaub is trying throw the ball down away from a defender & instead of the ball going downward on the same plane, it's just the nose of the ball that's pointed downward. It's kind of hard to explain, but if anybody has access to video watch the pass he threw to OD where he threw it down & away, they show the play from behind OD & it just looks really wierd; to my recollection, i've never seen that from a qb before. I don't know if that has to do with arm strength, but i don't know anything else that could logically explain that outside from other forces acting on it. it looks like he shot-putted the ball or something...

& i disagree with Rich Gannon, 2 of his picks weren't "inaccurate" that ball was going to drop right in Dressen's hands had Griffin not gotten to it; they just took forever to get there. Same for the one he threw to AJ on the sideline.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #71
Polo

Quote:

David Carr had a really fast drop too...

"good feet" doesn't mean you have a quick drop...It just means you take good steps that get you in rythm for your throw...
Old 09-22-2008   #72
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
David Carr had a really fast drop too...

"good feet" doesn't mean you have a quick drop...It just means you take good steps that get you in rythm for your throw...
Carr references don't really add much to an arguement. LOL

I think he has a quicker drop than Schaub. If you don't, fine, I'm cool with that.

Like I said in a previous post. I'm a proponent of Schaub, but he's just not right. If he struggles again this Sunday I'd yank him for a while until he gets his **** straight.
Old 09-22-2008   #73
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the biggest difference in Sage's and Matt's drops are that Schaub takes a deep drop and Sage doesn't take near as deep of a drop, and bam he gets rid of the ball. Matt is not a pocket passer, Sage is.
Old 09-22-2008   #74
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's just BS. If that was true, the Browns would have started Brady Quinn last year, Tarvaris Jackson would still be starting for the Vikings, VY would be starting for the Titans, and Alex Smith would still be starting for the Niners. EDIT: I forgot about Leinart, too.

The coach's job is to win games and although he might have a grace period his first year or two, after that, he's got to win or he's going to be fired. Kubiak knows that. After his first year (when he can use the Rebuilding card to keep his job), he's got to put the guys on the field that give him the best chance to win and if he doesn't do that, he should be fired.

When Schaub is playing well, he's more talented and a better QB than Sage. Hands down. No competition.

But right now, Schaub isn't playing well.

So Kubiak has to evaluate who's going to give him the better chance to win. Is Schaub's bad play something he can play out of or is it something that requires a change? Every QB has bad games and bad stretches of games even good ones. Is this one of those stretches?

4 WINS VS 11 LOSES, I say is a bad stretch
Or is it time to go with a calmer head in the pocket?

That's Kubiak's choice right now.

And he knows it.
i WOULD SAY 4 WINS AND 11 LOSSES IS A BAD STRETCH. hOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT!!!!!
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #75
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_c View Post
i think the biggest difference in sage's and matt's drops are that schaub takes a deep drop and sage doesn't take near as deep of a drop, and bam he gets rid of the ball. Matt is not a pocket passer, sage is.

i don't care who gets rid of the ball faster or how fast they drop back. All i care about is wins.

Matt is 4 - 11 as a starter

sage is 4 - 1 as a starter

just win
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #76
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I started it first!
Yeah...but a bunch of us were thinking it so we're not giving you credit for it.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #77
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
How much did we give up for this Schaub loser?
He was Michael Vick's backup for what 3 years? Hmmm. How did he look in the games he took over from Vick or the games he started (IN a MUCH WEAKER CONFERENCE) in Vick's stead? I say give Schlaub two more games. If he royally "ƒ's" up the way he has in the past two games...let him become the highest paid BACKUP in the NFL.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 09-22-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #78
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
He was Michael Vick's backup for what 3 years? Hmmm. How did he look in the games he took over from Vick or the games he started (IN a MUCH WEAKER CONFERENCE) in Vick's stead? I say give Schlaub two more games. If he royally [sizxe=5]"ƒ's" up[/size] the way he has in the past two games...let him become the highest paid BACKUP in the NFL.
Pretty sure the highest paid backup role is already taken by Vince Young.
Old 09-22-2008   #79
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i don't care who gets rid of the ball faster or how fast they drop back. All i care about is wins.

Matt is 4 - 11 as a starter

sage is 4 - 1 as a starter

just win
I was just making a general comment about one of the differences between Sage and Matt. Hell, all I want is wins also. Looks like we agree on that. Is Sage the answer? I don't know, but I'm becoming increasingly more of the opinion that Matt isn't. One thing is for sure, I'm tired of the team not meeting expectations.
Old 09-22-2008   #80
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
The next game if Schaub is having another bad game and he isn't replaced in the second half. I will be selling my tickets until things change.
wow. I feel your pain, man. Sports seems to be the only entertainment medium that consumers are expected to keep paying for increased prices in the face of continually bad products.

There is an old saying that we are all familiar with: the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team. This saying, of course, is usually mentioned tongue-in-cheek because us fans don't know what we're talking about and we clamor for something to improve.

But sometimes, we see a struggling QB who has lost the confidence of his WRs and looks like a deer in the headlights. And sometimes fans see a backup QB who has actually performed under pressure and looks to be comparable to the starter at a fraction of the cost (i.e. two second round picks, a first round exchange, and $50 million).

I'd like to see Sage given a chance. But, not only is Kubiak probably concerned with his starter's psyche in the face of lost confidence, but it's also a matter of pride that this head coach gave up a lot of potential picks to gain the starting QB. It reflects on him as a coach when he gives up on a project that he invested so much in obtaining.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read