Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2008   #41
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
He actually did put a wallop on one of the safeties. I was really proud of that, and the spin moves--God, have we needed a RB to do those.

I don't like him getting the handoffs right at the goal-line, though. He might be our best choice even for that right now, but it's not ideal.
He laid the wood to that guy. Just knocked him into the endzone. He has got "pop" when he runs. I like it.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 09-22-2008 at 09:50 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #42
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton looks like a smaller version of Reggie Bush, the famous USC Heisman winner....not that guy who collects a check from the Saints.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, Slaton was the reason I kept watching the game.

-Poor coaching on both sides of the ball (who the **** has Mario in coverage on a 3rd down???)

-Horrible play at QB

-Horrible play at WR (AJ should be ashamed)

-Once again Greenwood was invisible other than 1 tackle(I think)

-If Diles were any slower he'd be moving backwards. And for God sakes man, wrap up or something

-Zgoninia sucks, keep Okam in and let him learn

-Okoye didn't do much again

-Did we have another DE playing oposite MW? Oh yeah, I remember Weaver getting all fired up over his 1 tackle.

-I should've spent those extra 3 hrs visiting with my daughter who was home from College for the weekend.
Old 09-22-2008   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
OK, I admit it, I didn't like the Slaton pick in the Draft. I thought he was too small (light) at 195 lbs to be a feature back. He sure looks like a great pick now and I'm happy we got him. I hope he keeps it up throughout the season. Go Steve! Keep up the good work!
@ one time Slayton was considered a 1st rd. talent when he came out. I liked the fact he got bigger & added some weight to erase doubts about his size going into the NFL but he lost some speed & cut-back ability which dropped his numbers moving over for Freshman phenomenon Noel Divine smallish, more elusive & slippery. if anyone paid attention, Steve Slayton essentially became the power back option with West Virginia & at the same time developed the size/power to be the NFL feature back he is looking like.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #45
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you guys picked a great RB...Slayton is the real deal. As a Jag fan, I think he will run well on the outside vs. Jags. The Jags run defense is weak going side to side this year/so far. This week is going to be a big game for both teams. BEEF Week!!!
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #46
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I think you guys picked a great RB...Slayton is the real deal. As a Jag fan, I think he will run well on the outside vs. Jags. The Jags run defense is weak going side to side this year/so far. This week is going to be a big game for both teams. BEEF Week!!!
tell MJD i appreciate the gutsy effort this week, he kept getting up slower & slower as the game wore on nevertheless, he pretty much got my fantasy squad over the hump this week with his performance.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #47
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

I was concerned why Drew was not in there on the last drive?
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2008   #48
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I was concerned why Drew was not in there on the last drive?
looked like he tweaked something on 1 of his last runs, he was flipped in an awkward position...plus he was tired.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #49
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the way he breaks from the first tackler so often.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #50
Polo

Hopefully they up his rating the next Madden update.
Old 09-22-2008   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Ahman is done.

You go with the guy thats hot.

Slaton knows what he's doing. When he lowered the shoulder on Griffin on the goalline......priceless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I felt he should've been slated as the starter the day we drafted him. Kinda like Walker too. Dont know why Kubes doesnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Its obvious that Green is here just to pick up a check. He is another "Mike Hampton" that will be continiously injured.

Why was he even on the opening day team roster?
I have to seriously question Kubiak's judgment in keeping Green on the roster then naming him a starter....then pulling Green for the first running play of the year vs the Steelers - then Green can't play in week 3 with us already having a bye week! pathetic.

Loved what I saw from Slaton though...but keeping Green at the top of the RB depth chart in lieu of last season and what we saw from Slaton in the preseason just has me more cynical about Kubiaks talent evaluation skills.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #52
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
He actually did put a wallop on one of the safeties. I was really proud of that, and the spin moves--God, have we needed a RB to do those.

I don't like him getting the handoffs right at the goal-line, though. He might be our best choice even for that right now, but it's not ideal.
Hopefully this becomes Chris Taylor's job.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #53
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I have to seriously question Kubiak's judgment in keeping Green on the roster then naming him a starter....then pulling Green for the first running play of the year vs the Steelers - then Green can't play in week 3 with us already having a bye week! pathetic.

Loved what I saw from Slaton though...but keeping Green at the top of the RB depth chart in lieu of last season and what we saw from Slaton in the preseason just has me more cynical about Kubiaks talent evaluation skills.
I think they were afraid of: 1. baby running backs getting their QB killed; 2. baby RB limiting the playbook; 3. baby running back fools gold.

He likes for rookies to earn their starting spots if he has choices so they don't get big head and learn how to prepare.
Old 09-23-2008   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think they were afraid of: 1. baby running backs getting their QB killed; 2. baby RB limiting the playbook; 3. baby running back fools gold.

He likes for rookies to earn their starting spots if he has choices so they don't get big head and learn how to prepare.
I usually like your analysis, but you're way too positive for me. LOL. Of course, maybe it helps neutralize my growing disdain for Kubiak recently. Slaton showed more dazzle in the preseason than any of Kubiak's other drafted Texans RBs in the past, and this is why SWTbound was so sure that Kubiak had to see what a lot of us were seeing in the preseason. Surely Kubiak knew that Slaton was our best chance. Surely?

I am going to PRAY that the depth charts are set the way they are because it's one of those tasks that nobody takes care of when preseason ends and somebody just keeps forgetting to update the depth chart or something...so, h-o-p-e-f-u-l-l-y it's not really updated like it should be. I'm going to choose to believe that Kubiak, by now, sees that Steve Slaton is his MAIN running back (the guy slated at the top of the depth chart).

Steve is doing nothing but flying really low under the radar right now, and he's handling his business like he knows he's made for this. You don't see him doing stupid stuff after a great play. He acts like he's been there before.

Dude is easily the gutsy RB we've needed for a long time. To escape Haynesworth, and break it big around the edge...to plow over Griffin and shovel him into the end zone for a TD...to not give up even when Schaub hung him out to dry with badly timed passes that should have been thrown earlier and HARDER...to twist, and stiff arm, and streak past guys who had angles on him...well, it was the ONLY thing keeping me glued to the TV.

This root beer's for you, Steve. Thank you for playing hard.
Old 09-23-2008   #55
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
DLineman right? Our OLine isn't that bad at all.

How many times did Schaub get sacked? How many times did he get pressured and how many times did he get knocked down? How many times did our running backs get hit in the backfield? Even on the 2 long runs by Salton he had to break a tackle in the backfield. Not saying they wont improve just saying they aint that good at all, right now.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

to Kubiak Slayton is but the apostle following the NFL RB creed of duty who yearn to capture a spoon of acceptance. consider this his official christening. Gary is very strong in his belief & I think Slayton will be made an example of, in a good way very slowly at first maybe but surely turning the corner of what so far has been a very forgetable beginning

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #57
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Week 3 Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week nominees

Quarterback Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens, defensive end Phillip Merling of the Miami Dolphins, running back Felix Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, quarterback Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons and running back Steve Slaton of the Houston Texans are the finalists for Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week honors for games played on Sept. 21-22.

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #58
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Week 3 Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week nominees

Quarterback Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens, defensive end Phillip Merling of the Miami Dolphins, running back Felix Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, quarterback Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons and running back Steve Slaton of the Houston Texans are the finalists for Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week honors for games played on Sept. 21-22.

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies
Felix Jones or Matt Ryan will get it.

It's nice to see Slaton nominated though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read