Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2008   #21
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1347 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He's looked great against a very good defense .... Much better between the tackles than I expected on draft day and his blitz pick ups are getting better.

C.Brown hasnt looked bad either.

If Green gets another carry this season , it better be because of an injury ....
Its obvious that Green is here just to pick up a check. He is another "Mike Hampton" that will be continiously injured.

Why was he even on the opening day team roster?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Its obvious that Green is here just to pick up a check. He is another "Mike Hampton" that will be continiously injured.

Why was he even on the opening day team roster?

I agree completely about Green ...

Thats easy to answer .... Slaton and Brown are unproven , hard to go into a season with a guy with zero NFL carries and a guy coming off of a major injury with 28 total NFL carries.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #23
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Slaton was awesome. I love how he kept those feet churning. That's what I used to love about Domanick Davis, he was great at keeping those feet going and picking up the extra yard or so.
Exactly. The only difference between DD and Slaton is Slaton is much much faster. If Slaton doesn't get horse collared on his 51 run he scores.

I would like to see a one two punch of Slaton/Walker. Thats a lot of speed in the back field.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Exactly. The only difference between DD and Slaton is Slaton is much much faster. If Slaton doesn't get horse collared on his 51 run he scores.

I would like to see a one two punch of Slaton/Walker. Thats a lot of speed in the back field.
I'm happy with Taylor and Slaton . If they are to add another back , I'd like to see a short yardage type guy who can just move a pile.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 09-21-2008   #25
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80afad40

One of the few bright spots on this team.

And for anyone that said Slaton is too small, watch him throw down Chris Hope and truck Michael Griffin.

Slaton is Beastmode.
Thanks J-R for the video...rep your way!

And thank you Steve for being one of the bright spots that you represent on the team!

Keep it going!
Old 09-21-2008   #26
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton has already overachieved in my book, to bad his teammates aren't bringing it as well
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #27
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 475 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope that this stops the whining about drafting a RB in the first round.....good god we need some linemen.
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2008   #28
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoubleeagle View Post
I just hope that this stops the whining about drafting a RB in the first round.....good god we need some linemen.
DLineman right? Our OLine isn't that bad at all.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
After watching the first two games ....

I'll take a DE , OLB and C with the top three picks .... in no specific order.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 09-21-2008   #30
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, we need a stud DE opposite Mario.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #31
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
We need a RG, a Center, a NT, and a DE. Both lines still need help.

Old 09-21-2008   #32
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoubleeagle View Post
Just b/c Slaton is doing good doesn't mean you still don't draft a running back you feel can help you. Just look at Minn, Dallas, and Pitt.

Old 09-21-2008   #33
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget we need safeties, long snapper, and water boy.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #34
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Just b/c Slaton is doing good doesn't mean you still don't draft a running back you feel can help you. Just look at Minn, Dallas, and Pitt.
Yea... that Felix Jones pickup is looking like pure genius. That guy has some serious moves.

I would like to see them go for a power back so that we can have something like JAX has in MJD and Taylor. I don't want them to draft RB in the 1st round (we need either a DE or FS with that pick), but beyond that it's fine with me.
Old 09-21-2008   #35
will742
Nukkkk

Rep Power: 102 will742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to will742

I've been a long time lurker and don't really ever post but I have to come out of my slumber to show my appreciation for this man, nay -- Beast.

Slaton has done nothing but work his butt off during training camp and practice to earn the position in which he is in right now. 3rd down back my a** we've get ourselves a feature back in this one, I feel it!
will742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Yea... that Felix Jones pickup is looking like pure genius. That guy has some serious moves.

I would like to see them go for a power back so that we can have something like JAX has in MJD and Taylor. I don't want them to draft RB in the 1st round (we need either a DE or FS with that pick), but beyond that it's fine with me.
Did I write that post ?!

You nailed it , I'd like to see more of a power back to compliment Slaton , But I dont think we've seen the best of C.Taylor yet. At this point in the season I'd like to see what if anything Taylor can offer before looking to spend draft picks on a RB when we have multiple other holes to fill. The list for me begins with DE , OLB , C and FS .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 09-21-2008   #37
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, I admit it, I didn't like the Slaton pick in the Draft. I thought he was too small (light) at 195 lbs to be a feature back. He sure looks like a great pick now and I'm happy we got him. I hope he keeps it up throughout the season. Go Steve! Keep up the good work!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #38
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Ran hard. Ran over guys and ran to catch a guy who intercepted a pass when others just quit.
Old 09-22-2008   #39
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Ran hard. Ran over guys and ran to catch a guy who intercepted a pass when others just quit.
He actually did put a wallop on one of the safeties. I was really proud of that, and the spin moves--God, have we needed a RB to do those.

I don't like him getting the handoffs right at the goal-line, though. He might be our best choice even for that right now, but it's not ideal.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton is the most encouraging thing we've seen in the running game in years.

That being said, they need to block better for him. Hopefully, not all defenses will be like the Titans but this offense can't afford the run stuffs and negative yardage.

The running game in the Kubiak system has three main functions:

1. Keep the defense honest. Make sure the QB doesn't get killed on bootlegs. Wear defenses down. Keep your defense off the field.

2. Always get positive yardage, even if it is a few yards. Long yardage situations are non-good for any team, but are especially bad when you have a lightish line.

3. Home run threat.

Even under Dayne, the Texans have been among the lowest in the league in run stuffs and negative yard running plays.

The best news about Slaton is that his teammates think great things about him. The number one thing you hear about Slaton is how tough he is. He's going to have to be tough if he is running like that and making stuff out of nothing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read