Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-18-2008   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QB prospects

I figure, the RBs have one.

Case Keenum is not NFL material.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB prospects

I saw Ball State play and I must say I was very impressed with junior Nate Davis. He's 5th in pass efficiency, right behind Chase Daniel and Christian Ponder (new FSU QB).

Career stats:

Passing Stats

YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2006 BALL 150 245 61.2 1975 8.1 18 81 8 146.65
2007 BALL 270 478 56.5 3667 7.7 30 77 6 139.13
2008 BALL 66 88 75.0 916 10.4 9 61 3 189.37

Stats provided by ESPN

He also had 5 TDs on the ground in 2007.

What I saw in the game against Navy was a great deep ball, good pocket presence, the ability to look defenders off. He seemed to read the Navy defense pretty well but it was the Navy defense, so take it how you will.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

2009 is not a good year for Senior QB's. However, if some underclassmen declare, then it gets good.

My top 10 (draft eligible):

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Mark Sanchez, USC
Matthew Stafford, Georgia
Tim Tebow, Florida
Cullen Harper, Clemson
Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State
Colt McCoy, Texas
Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
Curtis Painter, Purdue
Tom Brandstater, Fresno State
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

im not really lookin at qb's, mainly focusing on needs of the texans. but i will say, ole miss has some really good lookin young talent. RB brandon bolden has potential to be sec freshman of the year, he looks like a senior.

back to qb's though, jevan snead looks like the real deal. i love this kid. transfer from texas, had to sit out a year, and is performing better than i expected. at this point i dont really see him being a high draft pick so i would absolutely support the texans picking him on the second day. i think he'll be a quality backup in the pros and kubiak would really help. unless brink or boyd make the roster next year, snead is a pick if im gm. he fits the offense perfectly and is a smart qb. sage will be dealt in the offseason if schaub stays healthy or at the very least will leave via FA. we'll need a backup and snead is the guy i would groom.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #5
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Mark Sanchez, USC
Tim Tebow, Florida
Cullen Harper, Clemson
Curtis Painter, Purdue

Not in that order but those are the QB's that look real sharp so far but in the end I see it being Stafford, Harper and Painter in the first two rounds. The jury is still out of Tebow since he is a Meyer product and well all know how his last QB turned out.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Mark Sanchez, USC
Tim Tebow, Florida
Cullen Harper, Clemson
Curtis Painter, Purdue

Not in that order but those are the QB's that look real sharp so far but in the end I see it being Stafford, Harper and Painter in the first two rounds. The jury is still out of Tebow since he is a Meyer product and well all know how his last QB turned out.
I like Sanchez also, but he is looking like a 1st rounder and I am not ready to go QB in the 1st just yet.

If he where available in the 3rd, I would jump.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #7
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Good thing you made this thread, we might actually need it by the end of the season.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2008   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Good thing you made this thread, we might actually need it by the end of the season.
Sad but true

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Stafford will be the top QB in the draft IMO.

Big, athletic kid playing well against the SEC. He's on a winning team and he has a rocket arm.
Old 09-21-2008   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Who ever we draft had better have alot of attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Who ever we draft had better have alot of attitude.
Give me Tim Tebow .... I know he doesnt have the best measurables but the guy just seems to find a way .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Give me Tim Tebow .... I know he doesnt have the best measurables but the guy just seems to find a way .
Oh man. I would be very unhappy. Not only because he is a Gator (and that is the overriding problem here) but another Urban Meyer product (see Alex Smith). Tebow is a great college football player, but the dude doesn't throw accurately consistently, and he's not going to be able to truck people like he does in college. He benefits tremendoulsy from Urban Meyer's system. Anybody see the amazing improvement in Chris Leak when Urban Meyer came in. All that misdirection and shifting really makes things alot easier on the QB.

Having said that it will be interesting to see how he develops in the NFL.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #13
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Stafford will be the top QB in the draft IMO.

Big, athletic kid playing well against the SEC. He's on a winning team and he has a rocket arm.
Stafford is a beast but he does have a ton of talent around him. I kind of like Max Hall right now good arm and he is older then most players
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Stafford is a beast but he does have a ton of talent around him. I kind of like Max Hall right now good arm and he is older then most players
Many of the top QBs have a ton of talent around them. Arguably the top 3 QBs are from USC, Oklahoma, and Georgia...the top 3 schools in the nation.
Old 09-22-2008   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
2009 is not a good year for Senior QB's. However, if some underclassmen declare, then it gets good.

My top 10 (draft eligible):

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma - weak arm & skinny as hell & he's only a sophmore i believe.
Mark Sanchez, USC
Tim Tebow, Florida - system qb
Cullen Harper, Clemson - garbage
Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State - garbage
Colt McCoy, Texas - too short & fragile
Hunter Cantwell, Louisville - who?
Curtis Painter, Purdue - don't know enough about him, but never heard of him until this post.
Tom Brandstater, Fresno State - do we really want another fresno state qb? some of us are still scrubing off the david carr stinch.
stafford & Sanchez are the only 2 worth looking into. Sanchez can move has a rocket for an arm & comes from a good system. The same for stafford.

Last edited by Mr teX; 09-22-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
stafford & Sanchez are the only 2 worth looking into. Sanchez can move has a rocket for an arm & comes from a good system. The same for stafford.
I like my QB's from winning programs with a pro-style offense and a strong arm. I think their ability to lead a successful team in college is undervalued at time and overvalued at time. It should just be a factor along with ability and things like release time, sacks (pocket awareness) compared to just hurries, and why kind of offense they run. Guys like Reesing and Daniel shouldn't be drafted high because they run a dink-and-dump system. I love Reesing but he isn't NFL material.
Old 09-22-2008   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I like my QB's from winning programs with a pro-style offense and a strong arm. I think their ability to lead a successful team in college is undervalued at time and overvalued at time. It should just be a factor along with ability and things like release time, sacks (pocket awareness) compared to just hurries, and why kind of offense they run. Guys like Reesing and Daniel shouldn't be drafted high because they run a dink-and-dump system. I love Reesing but he isn't NFL material.
not only that but daniels is short & reesing's arm strength is questionable. I too think that college success should be made more of a factor, but it has to be taken into account with all the other things; intangibles, arm strength etc. One things for sure...Jay Cutler probably doesn't agree with us. I had the opportunity to sit & watch him yesterday & he looks like night & day from last year, clearly a different guy & the top qb from that draft.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
not only that but daniels is short & reesing's arm strength is questionable. I too think that college success should be made more of a factor, but it has to be taken into account with all the other things; intangibles, arm strength etc. One things for sure...Jay Cutler probably doesn't agree with us. I had the opportunity to sit & watch him yesterday & he looks like night & day from last year, clearly a different guy & the top qb from that draft.
I'm still not sold on Cutler, but that is a different issue. In defense of Reesing, he has remarkable arm strength for his size. More than adequate for the NFL, however, it's the other things that hold him back. If he or Daniel were to get a shot, it would need to be in a WCO. However, we aren't here to talk about them because I don't like any of them at the next level.
Old 09-22-2008   #19
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Sounds like VY. No thanks.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Sounds like VY. No thanks.
Tebow actually has a good ball. He needs to work on accuracy on his crossing routes and becoming more of a "drop-back" passer. However, QB's are the hardest position for me to judge accurately, as is the case with many other people. There are way too many intangibles that go into determining QB success that only a FO would have access to leading up to the draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read