Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ike - how the Texan players fared

OzzO

.. and then?
Pretty good article written at fox sports

Didn't even think about this though.
...Evacuation, though, wasn't a viable option for most Texans players. They weren't told a Monday night home game against Baltimore was cancelled until roughly 48 hours before the scheduled kickoff. That was long after Ike had steamrolled through.

"I just wish we could have known right off the bat, 'This is not going to be,' " said Texans defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina, whose power remained out Tuesday. "Even a lot of people who work at the stadium could have squared away their situations earlier and gotten out. It's not just us who had to stay here."
and as for an alternate home stand...

The Texans won't have to leave Houston for their home games, but McNair acknowledged that nearby Rice University may have to host some contests until Reliant Stadium is repaired.
Stay strong Houstonians. I hear it's staying pretty orderly considering the issues still facing the city, kudos to y'all!

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Stay strong Houstonians. I hear it's staying pretty orderly considering the issues still facing the city, kudos to y'all!

I think most people know that it is a really poor idea to mess with HPD.

Lots of neighbors looking out for each other helps too.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I think most people know that it is a really poor idea to mess with HPD.

Lots of neighbors looking out for each other helps too.
This is true. I have a neighbor who I've always thought was a weirdo offer me a sheet of heavy duty plastic to cover my busted window. In turn, I used my chainsaw to cut up portions of a tree that fell in his back yard. I offered him a cold beer too. It's not very often that I'm willing to part ways with a cold beer.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
This is true. I have a neighbor who I've always thought was a weirdo offer me a sheet of heavy duty plastic to cover my busted window. In turn, I used my chainsaw to cut up portions of a tree that fell in his back yard. I offered him a cold beer too. It's not very often that I'm willing to part ways with a cold beer.
I'm sorry, but my neighborly help stops at giving away cold beer... :kingkong:

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
After reading that sobering article, I think I'll revise my post-Ike season prediction from 5-11 down to 3-13.

I really am expecting the worst, the rest of the way.

Sideline

Veteran
Really insightful article for those of us out of the loop, hope everyone is recovering from the mess that Ike has left.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How bad is Reliant damaged? Is is mainly just the roof? If so, why can't they just leave it open and play the games there? If it rains, we get wet at Rice Stadium, so what's the difference?

drewmar74

disgruntled
How bad is Reliant damaged? Is is mainly just the roof? If so, why can't they just leave it open and play the games there? If it rains, we get wet at Rice Stadium, so what's the difference?
If I read the article correctly, they are concerned about the field's ability to drain in a heavy rain. You could end up playing ball in a wading pool apparently.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I am pretty optimistic they can play. They have power and their facilities. The biggest question is whether they can leave the roof like that and not possibly threaten the people inside if we have one of those normal gullywashers we get. I doubt that they can blue sheet it.

From the overhead view, it appears the roof panels fell where I normally sit. I'm okay with the sunroof over my seat, but not okay if I am risking more stuff landing on my head if a normal gulf coast wind comes up.

They keep the roof shut when their is a risk of gully washing winds because it can damage the roof. But nobody knows how the roof reacts when it has holes in it. They say they are going to tell us sooner rather than later if it is okay. Bob McNair seemed to be pretty optimistic in the video that it will be game on there in October, but I guess we have to wait for the engineers.

Revolution

Rookie
They only have so many trays of grass and if you ruin one or twenty, it can't be fixed as easily as a standard field...then you would be left with no grass trays (worst case since they have almost 3 fields worth of trays I believe). What would you do then. Also each "tray" of grass is in a metal tray. Make a mud pit in one and then players are landing on the edges of the tray. Much more dangerous than just playing in the mud...

Owen Daniels posted pics of his damaged guestroom on facebook, looks pretty bad the entire ceiling caved in.. and before all you guys say its an imposter owen i added him as a friend while he was still in college and he has all his family in his pics on there... if i knew how to post pics from facebook on here i would.