Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2008   #1
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation DE Help?

Are we going to try to sign another DE since McClover is gone for the season?
Old 09-16-2008   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DE Help?

I do believe we don't currently have any roster spots open to sign anyone else.

I can't imagine there is too many people still out there that might be any help to us, I think we are stuck with what we have.
Old 09-16-2008   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Darius Walker filled his roster spot.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I believe Darius Walker filled his roster spot.
I almost expect A.Green to get cut or put on IR himself soon .... He's been a waste of a roster spot so far , time to cut and run. That would open up a spot for a DE.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #5
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I was looking forward to seeing what McClover could do. I think we will be ok.
Old 09-16-2008   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
I almost expect A.Green to get cut or put on IR himself soon .... He's been a waste of a roster spot so far , time to cut and run. That would open up a spot for a DE.
What would be the salary implications if we cut Green? I think he's just a waste of roster spot right now.
Old 09-16-2008   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
What would be the salary implications if we cut Green? I think he's just a waste of roster spot right now.
If I understand things correctly most of Greens contract is performance based now rather than guaranteed money. He has to play to get paid ... I'm no cap expert but I dont think performance incentives are calculated unless achieved so his cap hit should be minimized.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2008   #8
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
If I understand things correctly most of Greens contract is performance based now rather than guaranteed money. He has to play to get paid ... I'm no cap expert but I dont think performance incentives are calculated unless achieved so his cap hit should be minimized.
That's good to know. I don't know if the Texans will cut him just because of the experience and leadership he bring to the locker room. I've heard other players praise Green's leadership and his work ethic. The Texans might just keep him around for that purpose. And since our running backs are so young they need guidance from someone like him. If he can stay healthy I think the Texans might use him as a 3rd down back and start Slaton and Taylor.
Old 09-16-2008   #9
Polo

Texans should have kept Colvin IMHO...

Don't know what they were thinking with that move...
Old 09-16-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh well...

We'll acquire some no-name in the off-season, a guy who is a locker room leader and under-the-radar of all the other teams.

Should be another quality Texans free agency signing on defense.

Old 09-16-2008   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Texans should have kept Colvin IMHO...

Don't know what they were thinking with that move...
Yea, I was thinking the same thing when it happened, but he didn't do anything special in the preseason games. Plus, we don't know the whole story. Atleast, I don't. He may have been terrible in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Oh well...

We'll acquire some no-name in the off-season, a guy who is a locker room leader and under-the-radar of all the other teams.

Should be another quality Texans free agency signing on defense.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised if we used a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 1st rounder on an end. Good defensive lines usually allow flexibility in what kind of defensive scheme you can run, and I honestly believe Richard Smith has already been unofficially fired. I hope anyway.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's time we looked to make a trade. I wonder if Seattle would accept a 7th round pick for Babin?

In any event, it'd have to be a backup player from someone else's roster & I wouldn't want to give up anything higher than a 5th round pick. I don't know if these teams would be willing to trade them, but here's a few that might be interesting.

Jason Babin (Seattle)
Baraka Atkins (Seattle) - If he's healthy.
Victor Adeyanju (St.Louis)
Ikaika Alama-Francis (Detroit)
Mark Anderson (Chicago)
Chris Clemons (Philadelphia)

Any others you'd like to add to the list?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I think it's time we looked to make a trade. I wonder if Seattle would accept a 7th round pick for Babin?

In any event, it'd have to be a backup player from someone else's roster & I wouldn't want to give up anything higher than a 5th round pick. I don't know if these teams would be willing to trade them, but here's a few that might be interesting.

Jason Babin (Seattle)
Mark Anderson (Chicago)

The only unrealistic person on this list in Anderson.

Wouldn't hurt to bring a guy like Dan Bazuin in and see if he could make something happen.

Actually looking over the FA market from 2008 is making me sick.

I would like to believe Rick Smith would provide Richard with the proper role players if he asked yet... I get this feeling in the the pit of my stomach
he didn't.

Perhaps I'm settling for the fact unless Richard Smith gets fired we're going to have to amass enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to overcome his coaching deficiencies.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #14
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe bring back Colvin?
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Maybe bring back Colvin?
Forget it. Colvin was signed to fill a special spot on the roster and we saw nothing special in his play. He was by far the worst of the bunch at DE during pre-season.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 09-17-2008   #16
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
The only unrealistic person on this list in Anderson.

Wouldn't hurt to bring a guy like Dan Bazuin in and see if he could make something happen.

Actually looking over the FA market from 2008 is making me sick.

I would like to believe Rick Smith would provide Richard with the proper role players if he asked yet... I get this feeling in the the pit of my stomach
he didn't.

Perhaps I'm settling for the fact unless Richard Smith gets fired we're going to have to amass enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to overcome his coaching deficiencies.
I believe that Mr. Smith is better at judging the offensive side better than defense and Kubiak is the same . Clearly the defense is going to always suffer here but the offense has not been as good as advertised either .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #17
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post

Jason Babin (Seattle)
Mark Anderson (Chicago)

I do believe Babin was cut today to make room for a WR. We should at least bring him in for a look for old times sake.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #18
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
I do believe Babin was cut today to make room for a WR. We should at least bring him in for a look for old times sake.

The man words are spoken true....

Quote:
Seahawks released DE Jason Babin.
They had to do this because Seattle is now carrying eight receivers. A former first-round pick, Babin would be an upgrade over several teams' nickel rushers, particularly in St. Louis and Houston. He can also play linebacker.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...&rwr=1&id=2783

Rick Smith, you gotta hop on this. Not only does he somewhat knows the system already, which would give him an easier learning curve, but he was also considered the best pass-rusher not to long ago on our team. I mean come on, we're freaking hurting at this position. Vet Minimum please, I bet he's willing to give us a hometown discount(i know he's from michigan). I think he still owns a house here in Houston, and also a hunting ranch.

Line-up with the addition:
LE - Mario
DT - Okam
UDT - Amobi
RE - BeAstBIN

I still remember 93! Come back home Babin.

Last edited by J-Russ; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #19
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at his pre-season sack numbers:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonbabi...s?id=BAB714004

Looks like he still got "it".
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering all other options if he was brought in for a decent price I'd be for it. He outproduced any other DE not named Mario Williams on our roster in preseason in Seattle. He can play LB but perhaps a few years now strictly playing DE he's gotten more comfortable back in that role full-time.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read