Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs. Ravens in the Superdome, New Orleans?

J-Russ

Veteran
RAVENS-TEXANS IN NEW ORLEANS?
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 13, 2008, 2:40 p.m. EDT

We’re hearing from league sources that there are discussions going on today about moving this weekend’s Ravens-Texans game to Monday night at the Superdome in New Orleans.

The game was originally scheduled for Sunday afternoon in Houston but was rescheduled for Monday night because of Hurricane Ike. But after Ike damaged Reliant Stadium, the league is now scrambling to find a new venue for it.

The Superdome, of course, is home to the Saints, who were forced to play their whole 2005 season away from home as a result of Hurricane Katrina. The Saints play at Washington tomorrow. The Superdome’s event calendar says the stadium is hosting a Tulane football game today and another Tulane game on Thursday, but nothing Sunday through Wednesday.

The Houston Chronicle reports that if the damage to Reliant Stadium is so severe that the team can’t return later in the stadium, they could play their games at Rice Stadium on the campus of Rice University.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/13/ravens-texans-in-new-orleans/

GP

Go Texans!
Wow.

I mean...wow.

THAT would be weird. But, I guess I'd take it if it avoids re-scheduling and losing our originally-scheduled bye week.

J-Russ

Veteran
Host the Game in NO. Donate the profits to Hurricane Relief. Move on with the next week. problem fixed
What profit? The game will most likely be free to NO residents, to draw in a crowd, like they did with the saints when they played in SA. Considering its on short notice and it's not the Saints, how many people are going to buy tickets for it?

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
Just heard on KHOU that the game will be played on Nov. 9th. The Cincinati game will be moved from that date to our regularly scheduled bye week (nov. 24th?), Baltimore/Texans will not happned until Nov. 9th.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
By the way if you have DirecTV, Channel 361 is showing KHOU news (local news in Houston), at least in Austin it is, that's where I got the info.

J-Russ

Veteran
RAVENS-TEXANS POSTPONED UNTIL NOVEMBER 9
Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2008, 6:03 p.m.

Chris Mortensen reports (and we’ve confirmed) that the Week Two game between the Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans has been postponed until November 9.

A league source tells us that the Texans were unwilling to play the game this weekend in any place but Houston.

And so the bye week square-dance that a reader suggested to us earlier in the week is the approach the NFL will use. The Bengals-Texans game moves from November 9 to October 26, the Bengals’ bye moves from October 26 to November 9, and the Ravens and Texans will take their bye in Week Two.

It means that the Ravens and Texans will play 15 straight games without a break, and that any plans the players on either team had for their respective bye weeks (the Texans on October 26 and the Ravens on November 9) will now change.
I'm alittle PO at the FO about that. I mean if you played it in SA or Austin we we've gone. They had a chance to play it at Rice also. ATL or NO would've been fine. An early bye week doesn't help this team down the road.... eh whatever.

J-Russ

Veteran
......so is this our bye week now?
Yea, needless to say the Ravens fans are ravage about this. Read some of the comments on the PFT site. I'm alittle upset about this too, I mean why can't we just play it else where? I know the players and coaches probably wouldn't mind, the NFL even try to help us by making the game a monday night game, but McNair REFUSED to play anywhere but Houston. ugh. Thanks for the early bye week Bob!

awtysst

Draft Guru
This is the HOUSTON Texans. Our team is not the Baltimore Texans, New Orleans Texans, Atlanta Texans, or Dallas Texans. Why should our fan base lose a game. I think keeping the game in Houston is the only call.

J-Russ

Veteran
You're acting like Houston is losing their team forever. Why should the players/coaches, both teams have a competitive disadvantage because of this? And why should the Ravens and Bengals be punish for this aswell? This might be ok for the people in Houston, but how would you feel if you were the other team, and you had to adjust because of the Texans?

jaayteetx

All Pro
You know what, I'm glad Bob McNair took the stand he did. He's looking out for HIS team. To lose even one home game when your trying to take that next step in the process of building a winner in Houston would be unacceptable. Kudos to you Mr. McNair for fighting for the Texans.:texflag:

awtysst

Draft Guru
You're acting like Houston is losing their team forever. Why should the players/coaches, both teams have a competitive disadvantage because of this? And why should the Ravens and Bengals be punish for this aswell? This might be ok for the people in Houston, but how would you feel if you were the other team, and you had to adjust because of the Texans?
First of all. if I am Bob McNair why would I care about how the Ravens or Bengals feel about this situation? Why should I care what the Ravens or Bengals fans think. If I am Bob McNair I care what the people of Houston think. These are my customers. These are the people that support the team. These are the people that buy hats, jerseys, and tickets. Ravens and Bengals fans don;t do this. So, what sense would it make to take a game away from MY fan base and move it elsewhere?

Furthermore, think about this. Not everyone can afford season tickets. There are likley fans who bought a single game ticket to see the Texans play the Ravens. Why should they lose their only chance to see the game live just to better the lives of the Baltimore and Cincy fans.

I applaud Mr. McNair for doing the right thing.

J-Russ

Veteran
I suppose you're right, like they say at work the customers are always right and they should come first. But I'm going to look at this from a competitive standpoint, and I'm still displease with this decision. It isn't like Texans fans wouldn't travel to SA or Rice to watch this game. But hey maybe we needed an early bye week anyways, considering how we play the first week of the season.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
This is the HOUSTON Texans. Our team is not the Baltimore Texans, New Orleans Texans, Atlanta Texans, or Dallas Texans. Why should our fan base lose a game. I think keeping the game in Houston is the only call.
Please...

Tell that to the Saints in 2005.

Brando

Hall of Fame
Please...

Tell that to the Saints in 2005.
The Saints got screwed in that game against the Giants. While I am upset we can't play but given the circumstances it's the best thing to do and I wouldn't want this switched to Baltimore. What I am getting upset is that the Astros series against the Cubs. MLB is discussing the possibility of playing that series in Milwaukee, if that happens I will be upset.

Looks like it a go for 2 games in Milwaukee, LINK

The three-game series between the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros, originally scheduled for this weekend in Houston, was in limbo because of Hurricane Ike. But Major League Baseball has found a home for the series, it seems.
Two of the three games were transferred to Milwaukee, according to a high-ranking Major League Baseball official. The teams will play the first game at Miller Park on Sunday at 7 p.m., ET. The second game is scheduled for Monday at 2 p.m., ET.

The remaining game of the three-game set will be put on hold until the end of the season. If necessary, the Cubs and Astros will make this game up the day after the regular season ends if the result could impact National League playoff races.

That will be a home series for the Cubs. I smell Selig interfering with the Astros again. McClane take a page from McNair and stand up for your team!

Back on topic, I'm glad we are not losing a home game.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Yea, needless to say the Ravens fans are ravage about this. Read some of the comments on the PFT site. I'm alittle upset about this too, I mean why can't we just play it else where? I know the players and coaches probably wouldn't mind, the NFL even try to help us by making the game a monday night game, but McNair REFUSED to play anywhere but Houston. ugh. Thanks for the early bye week Bob!
Bob did the right thing for the fans. That it happens to work out for him (if the stadium is fixable) is besides the point:

My view:

NFL makes correct call with Texans-Ravens game; You doing okay?

GP

Go Texans!
Yeah, Bob just made his team play 15-straight games.

I'm telling you: This was a huge BLOWN opportunity for everyone involved. This could have been a way to help disaster victims, play a game in a location that might introduce fans in THAT area to the Texans, retain our original bye week when it really helps us, and "move on" as someone else mentioned earlier.

The only ones applauding this are those who want to attend the game IN Houston. I hear what you're saying, but it's not forward thinking, IMO.

This could have been such a positive thing, but oh well.

When our guys are sucking wind and dragging tail by about week 12...you'll wish Bob hadn't been so narrow-minded.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Bob just made his team play 15-straight games.

I'm telling you: This was a huge BLOWN opportunity for everyone involved. This could have been a way to help disaster victims, play a game in a location that might introduce fans in THAT area to the Texans, retain our original bye week when it really helps us, and "move on" as someone else mentioned earlier.

The only ones applauding this are those who want to attend the game IN Houston. I hear what you're saying, but it's not forward thinking, IMO.

When our guys are sucking wind and dragging tail by about week 12...you'll wish Bob hadn't been so narrow-minded.
*claps*

Best post in this thread. I completely agree. I would rep you like ten times, but I can't. Only one. This was a REALLY narrow-minded decision by McNair.

GP

Go Texans!
*claps*

Best post in this thread. I completely agree. I would rep you like ten times, but I can't. Only one. This was a REALLY narrow-minded decision by McNair.
I know the players are mentally tired, and probably physically drained from the effects of the stress of Ike...but the worst thing that happens (if we had played a game this week) is this: We lose.

We had the Ravens in a spot when they are probably the most beatable. Joe Flacco had 129 yards passing last week, they had 17-or-so players banged up and not playing, and we needed to catch them NOW.

Bob is not a gambler, that's for sure.

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
The Saints got screwed in that game against the Giants. While I am upset we can't play but given the circumstances it's the best thing to do and I wouldn't want this switched to Baltimore. What I am getting upset is that the Astros series against the Cubs. MLB is discussing the possibility of playing that series in Milwaukee, if that happens I will be upset. Looks like it a go for 2 games in Milwaukee, LINK

That will be a home series for the Cubs. I smell Selig interfering with the Astros again. McClane take a page from McNair and stand up for your team!

Back on topic, I'm glad we are not losing a home game.
No one is screaming tampering on this!!!!!!

The one team the astros are chasing is the city in which they play a game......hey bud ever heard of arlington??????????? or kissemeee

This reeks of BUDLIGHT trying to get his team to the playoffs.
this is a scandal

jaayteetx

All Pro
No one is screaming tampering on this!!!!!!

The one team the astros are chasing is the city in which they play a game......hey bud ever heard of arlington??????????? or kissemeee

This reeks of BUDLIGHT trying to get his team to the playoffs.
this is a scandal
arlington not an option, rangers playing there already. unless the astros/cubs play a day game and the rangers/whoever play the night game. anyhow, there HAD to be a better option than to play in Brewer/Cub land. Kick some Cubbie ass, Astros!!!!!:astros:
Sorry to get off topic.

Yeah, Bob just made his team play 19straight games.

Fixed it For you!!! it will suck not getting a break until after the superbowl tho:pirate:

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I don't see what the big deal is with playing 15 straight games. It wasn't that long ago that teams were playing 16 straight games and more considering playoff games.

gtexan02

Working?
We had 3 major injuries that get an extra week to heal. We need Winston, Pitts and Green healthy for week 2. Ok, maybe not Green

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I don't see what the big deal is with playing 15 straight games. It wasn't that long ago that teams were playing 16 straight games and more considering playoff games.
The reason they introduced the bye week was because the human body can't handle the impact of NFL football for all those weeks in a row.

I would be hugely surprise if this team doesn't look like a MASH ward at the end of the year.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
I'm alittle PO at the FO about that. I mean if you played it in SA or Austin we we've gone. They had a chance to play it at Rice also. ATL or NO would've been fine. An early bye week doesn't help this team down the road.... eh whatever.
It does give you one more game with Dunta potentially. And why would you lose the revenue of a home game when you could just wait and play it later. He also wanted the players to be able to get their families out of harm.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
The reason they introduced the bye week was because the human body can't handle the impact of NFL football for all those weeks in a row.

I would be hugely surprise if this team doesn't look like a MASH ward at the end of the year.
That happenss wwhen we have a bye week, whats new...?

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising

I thought Matt Schaub reminded me Of BJ Honeycutt with out the facial hair and Kubes was Hawkeye.

jaayteetx

All Pro

Umm, I'm pretty sure the reason the league introduced the bye week was for money. One more week in the season, one more week for the networks to collect money from advertisers.

KEYE SUX

Waterboy
He also wanted the players to be able to get their families out of harm.
The decision was made AFTER Ike had gone through. I am sure that most families were out of harm's way at that point. This is only about $$$. Plain and simple. What would you do if you owned a business and had to give up 1/8th of your revenue. That is a whole lot of $10 beers.

Sorry guys... but I'm not seeing where having a bye week is such a big deal. Houston looks like a war zone. There's no power. There's hours long lines for gas, ice, water, staples, etc. And the elderly and the sick are in trouble. Let's all just be thankful that's it not any worse than it is and that the team can live to fight another day. Pray for each other and help your neighbor when you can. God Bless.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I notice a lot of people who think it was stupid not to have a game this week don't live in Houston.

If you did live in Houston, you would have a pretty good sense that it is silly to think that it would be a good idea for players, coaches and their families to go through that storm and then have the players try to go play a game that much of their fanbase couldn't watch because they have no freaking power and are eating random stuff is melting from the fridge.

Or maybe you would think it would be better for them to all fly out of town, leaving their families and property behind.

No great options. I just hope the team gets home games.

KEYE SUX

Waterboy
Sorry guys... but I'm not seeing where having a bye week is such a big deal. Houston looks like a war zone. There's no power. There's hours long lines for gas, ice, water, staples, etc. And the elderly and the sick are in trouble. Let's all just be thankful that's it not any worse than it is and that the team can live to fight another day. Pray for each other and help your neighbor when you can. God Bless.
Who is in line for staples?

KEYE SUX

Waterboy
I notice a lot of people who think it was stupid not to have a game this week don't live in Houston.

If you did live in Houston, you would have a pretty good sense that it is silly to think that it would be a good idea for players, coaches and their families to go through that storm and then have the players try to go play a game that much of their fanbase couldn't watch because they have no freaking power and are eating random stuff is melting from the fridge.

Or maybe you would think it would be better for them to all fly out of town, leaving their families and property behind.

I'm not trying to be insensitive but power is not supposed to be up next week. Should the players not fly out for that either? It will take A LONG TIME to recover and I don't think all games should be postponed/forfeited until then

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame

I'm not saying play it in Houston though.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Concerns about future injuries make me wish they weren't spending their bye week so early, but Texans Chick is right.

hookinreds

Veteran

Let’s ask Captain Cluster F… how we should play it out. He did a great job convincing The Grocer that it would be a great idea to fly the Astros to his home field (and practically the Cubs back yard) after riding out the hurricane. How F’ing convenient Mr. Commissioner…

KEYE SUX

Waterboy
Do you have any idea how many loose papers I have flying around? Staples were the one thing I forgot to stock up on :)

Seriously, though, I htink he means the staples, as in the necessities
Im sure that is what atxlaurie was trying to say but I couln't resist.

Bubbajwp

All Flopper
Without reading the rest of this thread. By any chance have you ever heard of a natural disaster? Ummm maybe like a hurricane called ike.

Thats like saying that the rest of the country should have kept playing there professional sports the following days after 9/11. Because us Texans shouldnt have to change our plans because....

Get my point.