Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2008   #1
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Ray Rhodes for Defensive Coordinator

Sometimes the smallest moves in the off season, are often the largest ones. With Richard Smith proving the inability to get the most out of a young defense, the Texans will make a change, to one of the league's best coordinators, Ray Rhodes.
Wherever the guy has been, the defense has been successful. The move to bring him in during the offseason, was not to improve the secondary,but to lock Rhodes up for the year, with the prmoise of moving him to the D-Coor after the season. Based upon the Preseason, and week one against Pittsburgh, don't be surprised if the move is even during the year. What could it possibly hurt? Mario will be Mario & Demeco will be Demeco. The secondary, which belongs to Hoke, will be blamed on injury, youth, and Hoke's inability to make his guys better.The remainder of the defense will rally around wanting to become better, and finally getting rid of a defenseive coordinator, with no creativity.
Right now, the Texans visibly need a change in scheme, philosophy, and energy. Smith has worn out his welcome, and his experimentations of players have grown weary. Just think, where might Mario be, without moving all over the front line, year one? How much better of a unit may the front 4 be, had they been playing in specific positions over the past 3 years? How much better the secondary, if the front four gets added pressure. It's a domino effect, and Smith is domino one! We hear so much about the speed of the linebacking corps, but we never see them in blitz packages, just chasing running backs and tight ends, from behind. With Rhodes, the defense will demonstrate a more aggressive nature and attack, rather than try an limit big plays. This philosophy may have worked when the offense was was poor 3 years ago, but it's rocking now and will continue to under Kubiak.
My vote is Ray Rhodes Now, rather than later!
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #2
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP
Default Re: Ray Rhodes for Defensive Coordinator

amen!!!!!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

No joke!!! I have to bits of evidence to back up this thread and they have to do with the team playing across from us this Monday. They're D coordinator has an agressive nature to his play calling and the team plays accordingly. They even almost beat New England last year. You look at a guy like Anthony Weaver who was a pretty good piece to their defense. He comes here though and can't do squat!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take .... "my dog spot" .... over Dick Smith at this point.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #5
jb66er
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull3 View Post
Sometimes the smallest moves in the off season, are often the largest ones. With Richard Smith proving the inability to get the most out of a young defense, the Texans will make a change, to one of the league's best coordinators, Ray Rhodes.
Wherever the guy has been, the defense has been successful. The move to bring him in during the offseason, was not to improve the secondary,but to lock Rhodes up for the year, with the prmoise of moving him to the D-Coor after the season. Based upon the Preseason, and week one against Pittsburgh, don't be surprised if the move is even during the year. What could it possibly hurt? Mario will be Mario & Demeco will be Demeco. The secondary, which belongs to Hoke, will be blamed on injury, youth, and Hoke's inability to make his guys better.The remainder of the defense will rally around wanting to become better, and finally getting rid of a defenseive coordinator, with no creativity.
Right now, the Texans visibly need a change in scheme, philosophy, and energy. Smith has worn out his welcome, and his experimentations of players have grown weary. Just think, where might Mario be, without moving all over the front line, year one? How much better of a unit may the front 4 be, had they been playing in specific positions over the past 3 years? How much better the secondary, if the front four gets added pressure. It's a domino effect, and Smith is domino one! We hear so much about the speed of the linebacking corps, but we never see them in blitz packages, just chasing running backs and tight ends, from behind. With Rhodes, the defense will demonstrate a more aggressive nature and attack, rather than try an limit big plays. This philosophy may have worked when the offense was was poor 3 years ago, but it's rocking now and will continue to under Kubiak.
My vote is Ray Rhodes Now, rather than later!
I couldn't agree more

Sig by Lork88
jb66er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #6
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

Rhodes was a washout as a HC, but he is a great DC. I think Marvin Lewis is panning out to be the same in Cincy.

If he's going to get the job, I'd give it to him sooner rather than later.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Ray Rhodes was told by his doctors to not be DC anymore. He has health issues or he would probably already be hired by someone as a DC. Believe me, anyone would be better than Richard Smith but Rhodes doesn't look like a possible solution at face value.

May God bless everyone during this hurricane situation. We all don't agree on everything, but one thing we can agree on is that we hope that Houston can pull through this impending disaster. As for Galveston, I just hope it isn't under water come midnight tonight. God Bless everyone and my prayers are with you and your families.
Old 09-12-2008   #8
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 114196 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
I'd take .... "my dog spot" .... over Dick Smith at this point.
Is Spot mean?
Old 09-12-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Ray Rhodes was told by his doctors to not be DC anymore. He has health issues or he would probably already be hired by someone as a DC. Believe me, anyone would be better than Richard Smith but Rhodes doesn't look like a possible solution at face value.
Yeah, what he said. Rhodes is LEGENDARY as a defensive coordinator. If he wanted to be a DC, he would be one - and he'd be amongst the highest paid ones.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #10
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we're looking for a DC, there's this one guy, his defenses have always been awesome. Granted, he isn't very good as a head coach but his defenses kick butt.

Dom Capers.
Old 09-12-2008   #11
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
As long as we're looking for a DC, there's this one guy, his defenses have always been awesome. Granted, he isn't very good as a head coach but his defenses kick butt.

Dom Capers.
I don't know if I can stomach watching that mouth-breather on the sidelines for this team again.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

As long as it isn't Smith.
Old 09-12-2008   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post

Dom Capers.
No thanks. At all. Besides his defenses are usually more geared towards 3-4 and I don't want this defense set behind another couple of years trying to get the right personnel again.Outside of the Steelers he's been terrible as a HC and has had moderate success as a DC. Who I'd look at:

Marvin Lewis. If Cinci falters again this year as much as I like Marvin they need a change up and down. He's been VERY successful in his two DC stints.McNair would have to open up his pocketbook but it'd be very worth it.

Ron Rivera. He's in SD as a LBs coach. Might be a couple of years here because he was looking at being a HC and got snuffed by the Bears organization. But if he can mold this defense like the one in Chicago again would be worth it.

Jerry Grey is a DB coach in Washington right now and I'm sure he'd love a chance to step back up to being a DC again.

Someone on Jim Johnson's staff. The guy is so creative in his blitz schemes and the multitude of angles they take. Very fun Defense to watch

If Lane Kiffin doesn't make it in Oakland after this season....I hope Al is senile enough to let Rob Ryan go as well. Might be a bit weird having another mullet in Houston but at least this one would be productive.

I like Ray Rhodes a lot but I don't medically it'd be wise to make the move. What i would be down with is getting a younger guy or old Rhodes protege in as co head coordinators with the bulk of the work load obviously on the later of the two.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Second Honeymoon;997809]Ray Rhodes was told by his doctors to not be DC anymore. He has health issues or he would probably already be hired by someone as a DC. Believe me, anyone would be better than Richard Smith but Rhodes doesn't look like a possible solution at face value.

May God bless everyone during this hurricane situation. We all don't agree on everything, but one thing we can agree on is that we hope that Houston can pull through this impending disaster. As for Galveston, I just hope it isn't under water come midnight tonight. God Bless everyone and my prayers are with you and your families.[/QUOTE]

I think that goes for all of us.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love nothing better than to have Rhodes take over, but I would be shocked if this would ever come to reality in that his history of stroke is the reason he backed off initially. Getting his pressure up with stressfull situations would place him at high risk for experiencing a major stroke (as opposed to the supposed minor stroke) that led to his semi-retirement. Maybe, in order to buffer the stress, he could run the D through a 3rd party figurehead.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Does he want to come here? We don't know.
Old 09-12-2008   #17
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I'd vote for Riviera, He ran the 4-3 in Chicago and is learning about the 3-4 in San Diego.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Ray Rhodes probably suffers mild coronary problems just watching Richard Smith sweat and tremble over each play he's radio'ing down to the field.

Kinda' like the Jerry Jones commercial where he snatches the headset from the yawning Cowboys' coordinator up in the press box: Ray ought to yank the headset away from Richard and let him sit out a few plays. Take a breather.
Old 09-12-2008   #19
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I love my Texans and desire a change at DC, I would rather it not be Rhodes if his health is in jeopardy. His health should be priority #1. Maybe bringing someone in from the outside is the kick in the butt the team needs. I like GS's suggestion of Marvin Lewis (who I don't believe will be a HC past this season unless the Bengals do something spectacular).

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84010 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull3 View Post
Wherever the guy has been, the defense has been successful. The move to bring him in during the offseason, was not to improve the secondary,but to lock Rhodes up for the year, with the prmoise of moving him to the D-Coor after the season.
I think that it is preposterous that you would honestly believe that the Texans would hire Ray Rhodes to lock him up for a year with the intention of giving him the Defensive Co-ordinator role after the season.

I donít believe for a moment that our front office is dumb enough or cheap enough to hurt potential success on the field by letting the guy they want to be the DC rot on the sideline.

Rhodes like Gibbs is an old feller who canít handle the huge stress that being a Head Coach or co-ordinator entails, so they come in to support those in the job with their experience.

I think that Richard Smith is locked in as DC for the rest of the year at least. I wouldnít be surprised to see him here next year either. Stability and loyalty seems to be high on McNairís priorities, I could be proven wrong, but only time will tell.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read