Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-11-2008   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Report: Texas NFL teams score big on bottom line

Quote:
Though the team slipped behind the richest franchises in the National Football League, the Houston Texans are still reaping huge rewards for owner Bob McNair, according to this year’s financial ranking of NFL teams by Forbes magazine.

The Texans, which have yet to have a winning season since the franchise kicked off in 2000, are worth about $1.1 billion, the same as in 2007. The team slipped to No. 6 this year from No. 4 in 2007.

Meanwhile, the Dallas Cowboys maintained the top spot in the league ranking, with a value of $1.6 billion, followed at No. 3 by the Washington Redskins at $1.5 billion and New England Patriots at $1.3 billion. Vaulting past the Texans and breaking into the top five this year are the defending-Super Bowl-champion New York Giants and the New York Jets, both at $1.17 billion.

The Giants and Jets, which will share a new palatial stadium in 2009, reported the biggest percentage valuation gain year-over-year of 21 percent. The Texans’ value increased 7 percent from 2007.

Forbes reports the Texans’ operating income in 2007 at $43.9 million based on revenue of $239 million. Player salaries were $128 million in 2007, and gate receipts increased to $48 million.

The Cowboys made $30.6 million on $269 million in revenue in 2007. Player salaries were $137 million and gate receipts totaled $46 million.
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...=et51&ana=e_du
Old 09-11-2008   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texas NFL teams score big on bottom line

This is why I hate when fans complain about wanting to cut cap space to "save McNair some money." Im all for saving cap space for signing new FAs, but if you don't need the money, why not keep the player. McNair is making out pretty well
Old 09-11-2008   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Report: Texas NFL teams score big on bottom line

Texans will be happy - top 5 teams revenue share.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

No doubt. A bad product for 6 years straight and continues to raise prices year after year. But, we continue to buy said bad product at raised prices, so I suppose we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Old 09-11-2008   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
No doubt. A bad product for 6 years straight and continues to raise prices year after year. But, we continue to buy said bad product at raised prices, so I suppose we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
If the fans don't suck it up and continue to pay the higher prices for a bad product then they are considered fickle and bad fans, not wise consumers. For some reason consumer logic doesn't exist in sports.

I can only imagine how high the prices would be jacked up if the Texans were winning. Just look at UT.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
If the fans don't suck it up and continue to pay the higher prices for a bad product then they are considered fickle and bad fans, not wise consumers. For some reason consumer logic doesn't exist in sports.

I can only imagine how high the prices would be jacked up if the Texans were winning. Just look at UT.
Good points.

So when I hear that the Texans and Bob McNair are so, so rich....I just have a hard time seeing through the corporate greed sometimes. It's tough to have "passion" for a below average product that just keeps increasing in price. It's almost the definition of insanity. But, then again, I've been wearing a hard hat to football games for the past six years, so what do I know...
Old 09-11-2008   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Bob needs to pony up the dough and bring in a real coaching staff and some top tier Free Agents. This bargain basement Wades, Weavers, and Greenwoods needs to go away.

We could have had Jenkins, Justin Smith, Samuel, or even Faneca this offseason amongst many other quality players....what did we get? chris brown, colvin, reeves? talk about the bargain pile...you get what you pay for McNair. But Kubiak and Co. think they know more than us fans, so they will go the way of the Casserley soon.
Old 09-11-2008   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd like a winning season, I'd like a superbowl.........

I like to gripe.

Win or lose, I'm buying my season tickets, I love McNair, and I love this team.
Old 09-11-2008   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a bad product to date, but at least we got one. The prices keep going up and yes we will continue to pay, because we want that ticket and the opportunity to be there when it turns around.

The next dip (twenty years away) after some winning seasons will be the fulcrum point in my opinion - lack of interest, McNair getting older, lease will be coming up, etc. But right now, the market will continue to *****, yet show their hope through their pocketbook.
Old 09-12-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It is a bad product to date, but at least we got one. The prices keep going up and yes we will continue to pay, because we want that ticket and the opportunity to be there when it turns around.

The next dip (twenty years away) after some winning seasons will be the fulcrum point in my opinion - lack of interest, McNair getting older, lease will be coming up, etc. But right now, the market will continue to *****, yet show their hope through their pocketbook.
I agree with the 'at least we have a team' mentality. But, on the flip side, where is the incentive to really spend some money on top talent if the seats fill up regardless of winning or losing. Sad part is that the games are never full, so it's those PSL's and the hope for future success that keeps people and companies paying year after year.

I just have a wine taste on a beer salary. When my nose bleed ticket starts hitting around $1000/year, I might not be able to afford it at the end of the day. Family is priority. Texans are just entertainment at the end of the day.
Old 09-12-2008   #11
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good points.

So when I hear that the Texans and Bob McNair are so, so rich....I just have a hard time seeing through the corporate greed sometimes. It's tough to have "passion" for a below average product that just keeps increasing in price. It's almost the definition of insanity. But, then again, I've been wearing a hard hat to football games for the past six years, so what do I know...
Texans fans should all wear hard hats.........protection from the sky falling.

Old 09-12-2008   #12
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with the 'at least we have a team' mentality. But, on the flip side, where is the incentive to really spend some money on top talent if the seats fill up regardless of winning or losing. Sad part is that the games are never full, so it's those PSL's and the hope for future success that keeps people and companies paying year after year.

I just have a wine taste on a beer salary. When my nose bleed ticket starts hitting around $1000/year, I might not be able to afford it at the end of the day. Family is priority. Texans are just entertainment at the end of the day.

I've been to one game..friend of my son got freebies, that's the only way I was able to attend.

There is nothing like being there. I had season tickets to the Oilers many years ago. Believe it or not they were $7 each and parking was $3, no damm psls. There was no tailgating (Bud sucks big time). Shows you where I am financially, when the tickets went up..I walked.

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 09-12-2008 at 01:04 PM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Texans fans should all wear hard hats.........protection from the sky falling.

LOL! I like that. I hope you don't mind if I use it for a sig, with all due credit of course.
Old 09-12-2008   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought all Texans fans already wore hardhats.....

Old 09-12-2008   #15
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
LOL! I like that. I hope you don't mind if I use it for a sig, with all due credit of course.

Makes me proud...I'm being quoted in a good light for a change.

Old 09-12-2008   #16
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I thought all Texans fans already wore hardhats.....

Any posters among that handsome? bunch...

Old 09-12-2008   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with SH on this one.

You all are very aware that I think Bob McNair, while a nice guy and a GREAT guy for bringing pro football back to Houston, is not approaching this from the perspective of a guy who lives and breathes NFL football.

IMO, there are "hobby" owners and then there are "business" owners.

A hobby owner is in the game with the attitude of: "I want to win. I want to smash my opponents."

A business owner is in it to watch the bottom line, tweak the expense/income ratios, and basically be a numbers geek. His glory is in making the team a top performer on the financial stat books.

When I saw Cowher crying as he hands the trophy to Rooney, that sent a feeling through me like nothing else: Here is a team, an organization, that really has a climate of success built into it. The t-r-o-p-h-y is the prize.

Sometimes you wonder if McNair's idea of being a champion is being wealthy and staying profitable, at all costs, rather than winning a silver trophy. It's getting to the point, for me, that I am beginning to value the Daniel Snyders and the Jerry Jones type owners more and more in spite of how I felt about them up until recently: They might be arrogant, they might be cold and appear to be silly sometimes with their roster moves, but they are TRYING.

Anybody who trots out our LBs (minus DeMeco) and our secondary (minus D-Rob) and our dline (minus Mario, and maybe Okoye) and says our owner is TRYING...well, whatever. We can't have one high-caliber player in the LB, one high-caliber player on the Dline, and one high-caliber player in the secondary, and a timid defensive coordinator, and say that our owner is reallllly taking care of the fans' best interests.

The running back position, all by itself, is a testimony to this.

That sort of article pi$$e$ me off, and only serves to reinforce my idea that we are the L.A. Clippers of the NFL: Profitable, folksy and charming, but never in the playoffs.

I am glad I don't live in Houston. The only money I spend is on Sunday Ticket, and the past few years I've been hesitant to even renew THAT.

(Sigh)
Old 09-12-2008   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

GP,

With the way Sunday Ticket has been increasing in cost annually you can pretty much get a decent season ticket for around the same cost as One Year of NFL Sunday Ticket especially if your ponying up for HD/SuperFan.

It's only 10 games so the season ticket price isn't the problem. Our money is only a pithy fraction to what McNair really brings in with TV money, advertising/partnerships, and merchandising. Any NFL owner that says they aren't making money is a red faced liar. Even the Bills make money in Buffalo, a dying industrial city. McNair needs to just pony up and bring in some quality coaching and quality players. This is Houston and we deserve quality football, darnit.
Old 09-12-2008   #19
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't fool yourself. All the NFL owners are in it for 1 thing...MONEY. The championship is always a second thought, regardless of what the ownsers say. When an owner tells you they want to win a championship, it's an advertising campaign. The campaign has both you and me hooked and we spend our money on tickets, gear, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm guilty of buying into the hype as well. I buy the season tickets, the t-shirts and the hope that we will win a championship.

Remember...people don't go into business to lose money...regardless of the product they are selling.

Its a marketingYou don't go into business to NOT make money.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmojo.com View Post
Don't fool yourself. All the NFL owners are in it for 1 thing...MONEY. The championship is always a second thought, regardless of what the ownsers say. When an owner tells you they want to win a championship, it's an advertising campaign. The campaign has both you and me hooked and we spend our money on tickets, gear, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm guilty of buying into the hype as well. I buy the season tickets, the t-shirts and the hope that we will win a championship.

Remember...people don't go into business to lose money...regardless of the product they are selling.

Its a marketingYou don't go into business to NOT make money.
See, I don't necessarily think so.

Does a hobby owner watch the bottom line? Obviously he does, because guys like Faneca can't hold a team hostage over a big contract...but by the same token, the hobby owner doesn't mind spending the capital on quality players AND coaches. He sees it in the same way that a stamp collector eyes his next prize: If he wants it, he finds a way to get it.

I think Bob McNair, while STILL being a nice guy with a pleasant demeanor and sharp looking buisness attire and glad-handing former presidents, is not AS interested in winning as a few other "old school" owners.

And here's where people reply "Old school? Like Al Davis? All he does is overpay with worse reults thhan mcNair."

Davis has too much loyalty to certain coaches, AND he meddles in the day-to-day affairs too much.

Rooney Family is the sort of owner I am talking about: Impassioned, been around the block, and lets people do their jobs. Smart team all the way around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read