Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2008   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who is the 2nd-Best Player From the 2006 Rd. 1 Draft?

I know who the Titans would have rather picked....

*cough Cutler cough*
Old 09-10-2008   #22
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I know who the Titans would have rather picked....

*cough Cutler cough*
The Titans with Cutler would be *gulp* incredible. Thank gosh they picked Vince.
Old 09-10-2008   #23
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have to say Cutler. Cromartie is a close 3rd, but Cutler gets the nod because of his position.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #24
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutler.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #25
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Jay Cutler. He looks like the second coming of Elway, since offseason diagnoisis of type 1 diabetes. Great role model for eveyone afflicted, know someone or have type 2 diabetes, that you can still do everything a normal person can & in his case better
If we could do it all over again, knowing everything we know right now, I'd have to choose Cutler.
Sorry Mario, but Culter is afterall a QB and I can only wonder why he was on the Board as long as he was given the incredible premiums teams put on QBs ? Afterall, there was never any question which QB
had the best arm and which one played in the best college conference.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #26
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio Cromartie has to be up there. The guy is a stud.

Cutler, Santonio Holmes, Addai, Hawk
Old 09-10-2008   #27
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we couldn't get Mario, I'd want Cutler.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2008   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So what would the backlash have been like at the time if we would have taken Cutler #1 overall instead of Bush, VY, or Mario, or even Ferguson?

No one knows about the draft.
Old 09-10-2008   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
If we couldn't get Mario, I'd want Cutler.
Texans owned the 1st pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #30
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i say cromartie is the class of that draft. absolutely sick. best corner in the nfl

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #31
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So what would the backlash have been like at the time if we would have taken Cutler #1 overall instead of Bush, VY, or Mario, or even Ferguson?

No one knows about the draft.
So that would have been:

#1 - Cutler
#2 - Bush
#3 - Vince
#4 - Mario

I've heard that the Saints thought very highly of Mario, but I doubt they would've taken him over Reggie. Also, I don't think Bud would've passed on the chance to say "screw you" to Houston, so I put Vince there anyways.

The Jets would've ended up with Mario IMO. Cutler to AJ would have been a legendary combination. That said, our defense would suck even worse than it ever did, even with Meco. We might have grabbed a DE instead of Amobi in the '07 draft.
Old 09-10-2008   #32
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
So that would have been:

#1 - Cutler
#2 - Bush
#3 - Vince
#4 - Mario

I've heard that the Saints thought very highly of Mario, but I doubt they would've taken him over Reggie. Also, I don't think Bud would've passed on the chance to say "screw you" to Houston, so I put Vince there anyways.

The Jets would've ended up with Mario IMO. Cutler to AJ would have been a legendary combination. That said, our defense would suck even worse than it ever did, even with Meco. We might have grabbed a DE instead of Amobi in the '07 draft.
Of course, we would have had two extra 2nd round picks to work with as well.
Old 09-10-2008   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm going to say Joseph Addai.

As a rookie he came in and performed very well in a starting role despite having big shoes to fill.

Very consistent since day one.
Hands down. I mean I love DeMeco, but Joseph Addai should have been the MVP for the Superbowl(I don't know that he wasn't, but I think he definitely should've been.
Old 09-10-2008   #34
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Of course, we would have had two extra 2nd round picks to work with as well.
Thats true. So what would you have changed in the '07 or '08 draft if we had those picks, or who would you have picked up?
Old 09-10-2008   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
So that would have been:

#1 - Cutler
#2 - Bush
#3 - Vince
#4 - Mario

given your scenero the Texans liked Ted Ginn who went #9 to Miami (I still would have taken Amobi) since the trade to Atlanta is never done to get Schaub (Texans get Cutler) we also get back two 2nd rd picks (traded to Atlanta). Now the Texans could address either Defense or Offense but why not take the LT here to protect Cutler, Tony Ugoh (#42 Colts). this past draft (08) if the Texans had their LT & opted to trade down, more than once to add even more picks to address needs/holes & got a RB to complete the offense, Matt Forte (44). with multiple picks plus the #48th back Calais Campbell DE (#50) or Quentin Groves DE (#52). Then besides Molden/Slayton add one or two more prospects.

but thats all hindsight, right now I'm very happy the way things worked out

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #36
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd probably go
Antonio Cromartie - Probably one of the top 5 if not top 3 corners in the league.
Jay Cutler - Great young QB.
DeMeco Ryans - 295 tackles 5.5 sacks 2 INTs in his career.
Ernie Sims - 264 tackles 1.5 sacks 1 INT in his career.
Haloti Ngata - turning into a great NT.
Santonio Holmes - huge deep threat.

Notice there is 4 guys from the 2006 first round that were on the 2005 Florida State defense, except Cromartie didn't play that year (he had a knee injury, of course). Kamerion Wimbley (16 sacks @ OLB in 3-4) and Brodrick Bunkley (41 tackles 3 sacks @ DT) have both been solid for the Browns and Eagles.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #37
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

We're about to face the second best player drafted in the 1st round of the 2006 draft...

Haloti Ngata
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #38
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd probably go
Antonio Cromartie - Probably one of the top 5 if not top 3 corners in the league.
Jay Cutler - Great young QB.
DeMeco Ryans - 295 tackles 5.5 sacks 2 INTs in his career.
Ernie Sims - 264 tackles 1.5 sacks 1 INT in his career.
Haloti Ngata - turning into a great NT.
Santonio Holmes - huge deep threat.

Notice there is 4 guys from the 2006 first round that were on the 2005 Florida State defense, except Cromartie didn't play that year (he had a knee injury, of course). Kamerion Wimbley (16 sacks @ OLB in 3-4) and Brodrick Bunkley (41 tackles 3 sacks @ DT) have both been solid for the Browns and Eagles.
I'm afraid that Ngata is going to abuse Meyers much like Hampton did.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #39
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Ngata is going to abuse whoever we line up in front of him, especially when the Ravens line him up at linebacker giving him a 5 yard running start.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #40
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

I was going to stay out of this thread until I read the last few posts.

Personally, I'd pick Addai, as he made an immediate impact to his team. But Ngata is turning into a real beast. When he was drafted, one of his "negatives" was that he took some plays off a game at Oregon. Last week, one of the announcers of the Ravens-Cincinnati game said "that Ngata, he never takes a play off."
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read