Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2008   #1
Ali4Real

Talking Texans VS. Ravens 2008

The Texans got falt out beat by the Steelers, but now it's time to move on. Good news is that we are currently second in the AFC South...for now at least. Baltimore is up nest, a team with an aging but aggressive defense and a new QB under center. Here are my tips and things we need to watch out for during the game:

1. Need to pass protect better against the Ravens D. If Kelly Gregg is healthy and playing alongside Haloti Nagata, then it's going to be a la David Carr getting sacked every other play.

2. The WRs and TE Todd Heap struggled against an average Cincy DB so we need to avoid giving up long pass plays. Bennett needs to play smarter and Reeves needs to play close D, maybe giving a 5 yard cushion.

3. We need to run the ball better so we need to block better b/c I don't want to see Nagata and Gregg crush Ahman Greene or Steve Slaton.

4. If Schaub can't find enough time under center then let's do play action passes and try to get the ball to other receivers such as Owen Daniels or Kevin Walter.

5. The D-line needs to do more then just stand there and needs to perform just like Mario Williams, maybe even trying a defensive stunt.

What do you guys think?

BTW, thanks for the posts.....GO TEXANS!
Old 09-09-2008   #2
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP
Default Re: Texans VS. Ravens 2008

So to sum up what you said, we need to do a better job from the running, passing, Dline, and Dbacks. We looked bad on every facet. Luckily, the Ravens are not as good as the Steelers.
Old 09-09-2008   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
So to sum up what you said, we need to do a better job from the running, passing, Dline, and Dbacks. We looked bad on every facet. Luckily, the Ravens are not as good as the Steelers.
I'm not so sure about that. Defensively they're going to come out and try to punch us in the face like the Steelers did. I mean, it's not like they don't have the film to follow for their preparation.

Offensively they don't look scary, but they have McGahee and the Rook that will be pounding the rock. After watching Ben only throw 18 times it's obvious what teams are going try and do. They're going to pound the ball until our defense can show they can stop it.

Unless something drastically changes, we could very well be 0fer in the 1st 5 games.
Old 09-09-2008   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Defensively they're going to come out and try to punch us in the face like the Steelers did. I mean, it's not like they don't have the film to follow for their preparation.

Offensively they don't look scary, but they have McGahee and the Rook that will be pounding the rock. After watching Ben only throw 18 times it's obvious what teams are going try and do. They're going to pound the ball until our defense can show they can stop it.

Unless something drastically changes, we could very well be 0fer in the 1st 5 games.
I think this game hinges on run defense too. With the young QB they have they will want to pound the ball and they are well equipped to do it. If we can't stop them we may as well phone this one in.

However if we can slow the running game down, force Flacco to beat us, we should win this one.

(Assuming Schaub doesn't give the ball away like its Christmas again)
Old 09-09-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We got beat by a good running back, not a marginal one. Parker ate us for lunch, but we contained Mendenhall. Im not really that worried about Ray Rice and McGahee personally, although they do have that rookie factor that makes them unpredictable
Old 09-09-2008   #6
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:
After watching Ben only throw 18 times it's obvious what teams are going try and do. They're going to pound the ball until our defense can show they can stop it.
Actually, big ben was 13/14 for 137 and 2 tds. With that kind of success don't think that teams won't try to throw on us just because we also could not stop the run.
Old 09-09-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would expect nothing less from the Ravens. Pittsburgh gave a clinic on how to destroy the Texans and the Ravens should be looking at it and planning to do the exact same things. They'll be planning on crushing our line and stuffing our running backs, then collecting sacks when we try to throw the ball. On offense they'll run on us because we can't stop anybody from running on us this year through four preseason games and one regular season massacre.

In the last two days I've read repeatedly that the only people who are angry that the Texans lost are people who had the crazy/ridiculous/insane idea that the Texans were going to be good and were surprised to learn otherwise.

I think that's far from the truth. I think the people who are angriest about the Texans performance Sunday are people who tried to be optimistic and who wanted to be surprised but instead saw exactly what they expected to see (and were afraid they would see). Sunday I expect the Texans to beat the Ravens. I don't just think they will or hope they will. I expect it. I insist on it. Hell I demand it. If they take a humiliating beating like the one I saw Sunday in Pittsburgh and then come home and take another one in their home opener then I think our team is without any doubt as mentally weak and soft as we've all suggested they appear to be. If they don't answer last week by playing like men this week then I don't know what to think of them. I don't see much point in expecting anything out of them the rest of the way if that ends up being the case.

Calling a game a "must win" in week two seems kind of extreme but I think that the Texans may be looking at one. This game needs to be won in a violent and brutal fashion. They need to go out and do to Baltimore what Pittsburgh just did to them. Anything less will mean very little.
Old 09-09-2008   #8
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Hervy it is very close to a must win...the three games after it...

@Tenn
@Tarpland
Indy

So yeah...it is VERY VERY close to a must win. I don't think it will be a easy game though.

Ravens have no playmakers on offense...yeah they did beat Cincy but...I'd like to think we have a MUCH better defense than the Bengals. Hopefully Mario and the Dline can shake up their young QB, and hopefully we can contain probably their best player on offense Willis McGahee.

I am worried about the Ravens defense, they can win this game for them and we'll be looking at 0-5 1-4 if we are lucky...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Not feeling good about the Ravens because they are a team that likes to run (I won't say that they are a good running team because they really weren't last year, and they've only played one game this year). I think their defense is mainly riding on that terrific one they fielded in '99 and '00. Lewis is obviously older, Reed is still good but also older, and I think that their defensive linemen aren't as nearly as good as Casey Hampton and CO.

With all that said, I think this Texans team is way better than that Cincy team and it will show on Sunday. I don't expect Flacco to have a great game on the road in the heat. Who's he going to throw to, Derrick Mason and. . .? I think this will be one of those games that we point to (like the Denver game last year) going "See what we CAN be?"
Old 09-10-2008   #10
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

Hello from Crabtown, fellas!

I think the Texans are going to play a good, solid game against the Ravens Sunday. Houston is normally tough at home, and even though Flacco played well enough last week, he's still a rookie.

The Texans main problem is that they are going to have to run the ball to open up the passing game, and if they can't get good yardage out of their RB's, Schaub is going to take a pounding if he sticks in the pocket too long. And McAlister and Reed may get two picks if he tries airing it out all day long.

Now, no one knows whether Flacco will play as good as last week, play like a Pro Bowl QB, or fall flat on his face in Week 2 and throw 3 picks, fumble once or twice ala' Boller and just plain suck. I think he has the potential to be the QB the Ravens have been looking for since 1988, but that remains to be seen.

No matter. This game should be interesting to watch regardless. Good luck to your team Sunday and stay dry and outta the wind!

One more thing: do something about all those %#&^!* ticks down there! I went on a nilgai, hog and gobbler hunt this past March in Kennedy County and I pulled 18 ticks off me one evening! I felt like an oilman in a room full of liberal Democrats!
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #11
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

They shut down Palmer. You've got to wonder if our o-line stands a chance.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
They shut down Palmer. You've got to wonder if our o-line stands a chance.
Or maybe the Bengals blow worse than Hurricane Ike
Old 09-10-2008   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that scares me the absolute most about the Ravens is that Chad Johnson said the Defense was doing some "playground stuff" out there and it "was the best defense I've ever gone up against"

THats a pretty ringing endorsement from a pretty big jerk
Old 09-10-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post

I think the Texans are going to play a good, solid game against the Ravens Sunday. Houston is normally tough at home, and even though Flacco played well enough last week, he's still a rookie.

The Texans main problem is that they are going to have to run the ball to open up the passing game, and if they can't get good yardage out of their RB's, Schaub is going to take a pounding if he sticks in the pocket too long. And McAlister and Reed may get two picks if he tries airing it out all day long.

Now, no one knows whether Flacco will play as good as last week, play like a Pro Bowl QB, or fall flat on his face in Week 2 and throw 3 picks, fumble once or twice ala' Boller and just plain suck. I think he has the potential to be the QB the Ravens have been looking for since 1988, but that remains to be seen.

No matter. This game should be interesting to watch regardless. Good luck to your team Sunday and stay dry and outta the wind!

One more thing: do something about all those %#&^!* ticks down there! I went on a nilgai, hog and gobbler hunt this past March in Kennedy County and I pulled 18 ticks off me one evening! I felt like an oilman in a room full of liberal Democrats!
Nice to have you here.

After this past Sunday's debacle in Pittsburgh I only have this to say...if we fall behind early we're toast. If we're able to get the early lead we might have a chance of pulling out a win.

I just hope it's a competitive game and we stay healthy.

BTW, insect repellent would have been a wise decision.
Old 09-10-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

They are starting a rookie QB. If Richard Smith runs his soft loser zone coverages against a rookie, I may have a conniption fit. Roethlisberger had time to make a sandwich, toast it, and eat it when he was in the pocket. Mario rudely interrupted a few times, but at some point someone else besides Mario has to make a freaking play.

I also think that we should defer if we win the kick and put our defense on the field first. They have been flatlining since Kubiak and Richard Smith got in town and maybe if they get on the field at the start of the game, they may be able to carry some enthusiasm and swagger out of the locker room onto the field. I am sick of our team looking uninspired, unprepared, and unmotivated week after week under Kubiak.

I was talking to my brother the other day and actually found myself pining for the days of Capers. Yeah our QB and offense pretty much stunk but that is on Casserley, but our defense at least come out with some fire and made big plays. For crying out loud, we beat the Steelers with like 75 yards total offense one year...in Heinz Field no less. When you are pining for the 'salad days' of Capers, you know your hurtin'.
Old 09-10-2008   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Don't worry Daravenator, the sky is falling in Houston! LOL

Thanks for signing up for this week and posting here. I'm looking to this being a win for the Texans, because if not, then my prediction of us being 3-4 before our bye week is in jeapordy.

You never know with the Texans, we could come out and beat your butt into the ground and we could also come out and look like a bunch of girl scouts. I'm getting hesitant to predict anything now.

But this I will say, good luck to both our teams and may there be NO injuries for anyone this Sunday!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #17
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Don't worry Daravenator, the sky is falling in Houston! LOL

Thanks for signing up for this week and posting here. I'm looking to this being a win for the Texans, because if not, then my prediction of us being 3-4 before our bye week is in jeapordy.

You never know with the Texans, we could come out and beat your butt into the ground and we could also come out and look like a bunch of girl scouts. I'm getting hesitant to predict anything now.

But this I will say, good luck to both our teams and may there be NO injuries for anyone this Sunday!
Granted, I haven't followed the Texans as closely as I have some other teams in the NFL, but I have noticed that they have a tendency to play tough against tough teams. This game may be tough for Houston to pull out because the Ravens defense looks (to me) almost as good as it did in 2000. Non-stop movement on the DL prior to the snap, great coverage in the secondary and Ngata is like a M-60 tank shutting down the run. If the fireplug Gregg gets in this game, rushing yardage may be measured in feet, not yards.

But, it's going to depend on the offense. You guys have no idea what it's like to have a offense that can't score points......for years on end! How in hell we went to and won a Super Bowl when we didn't score a TD in three straight games is mind-boggling. I don't see that happening again. I hope Flacco makes at least a few long tosses downfield Sunday, just to see how that arm looks.

I hope neither of our teams suffer injuries. We don't have enough depth to cover big losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
BTW, insect repellent would have been a wise decision.
NOW you tell me!
Old 09-10-2008   #18
Daravenator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The thing that scares me the absolute most about the Ravens is that Chad Johnson said the Defense was doing some "playground stuff" out there and it "was the best defense I've ever gone up against"

THats a pretty ringing endorsement from a pretty big jerk
Pardon me, don't you mean Chad Ocho Cinco? He paid good money for that fool of a name!
Old 09-10-2008   #19
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, it's going to depend on the offense. You guys have no idea what it's like to have a offense that can't score points......for years on end!
Yes, yes we do. Up until 2007, we had never even broke 30pts. in a game. Trust me, we most certainly know what it's like to have an offense that can't score points.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #20
Daravenator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Yes, yes we do. Up until 2007, we had never even broke 30pts. in a game. Trust me, we most certainly know what it's like to have an offense that can't score points.
Then it's wonder we're not all a bunch of raving, mindless drunks on Sunday.

Waitaminnit...................

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read