Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2008   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This Game Changed Things For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I was under the impression that the defense we ran from 2002 until 2005 was overwhelmingly Vic Fangio's creation and bore little resemblance to anything Dom Capers had ever put into place.

That defense was better than this one by a long shot.
No doubt. That defense actually beat the Steelers when the offense could only be good for 47 total yards.
Old 09-09-2008   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only do the offensive lines and defensive lines need to get tougher...I think some of the fans do too.

This game wasn't a big surprise except for those people who bought all the sunshine and lollypops being dished by some in the media. The Texans have a lot of make-do players playing for it until they can fill more spots. Well, and Richard Smith needs to be replaced with a 4-3 coordinator with a track record of success.

When the schedule came out initially, you knew the Texans were in a heap of trouble with road games against good teams. What Gibbs is doing is going to need some time, and with the 80 man roster limit going through camp, it was going to hurt those teams working on new stuff because you couldn't have as much hard practice and game action without risking your starters too much.

The team needs to survive this September, and I guess some of the fans need to also.
Old 09-09-2008   #23
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Kubiak is the one on the hotseat. He's come in and retooled the offense significantly despite the lack of talent on offense prior to his arrival THEN having a coordinator whose style didn't mesh well with his own. Offense gets a pass for the most part because of adding a new center and a rookie left tackle. Not to mention first season for Mike Brisiel. Based on the past success of Kubiak and Alex Gibbs I see no reason to think as the season wears on this offense will be much better.

That said....Smith's Defense or lack of is an albatross to this team. No one is saying we don't have premium NFL talent top to bottom on the defense. The problem is by your third year you should see SOME sort of sense of what the defense is trying to accomplish and players that a defensive coach feels fits what he's wanting and trying to do. There are some player contracts that this staff might feel they need to justify by starting. I disagree. IF a UDFA DE shows more spark then the bloated contract Weaver has production needs to trump pay. Rotate him in and out often but if he's clearly a liability don't continue to start him and give him signifcant PT. Just a host of issues and right or wrong the guy running the show deserves the ax.

You might wonder WHY the offense gets a pass as opposed to the defense. I know what Kubiak wants to do and is putting the pieces together on consistent basis and has gotten production from players up and down the FA and draft spectrum. His past success also plays a large part. Smith doesn't have the last part going for him nor does does it look like he has the ability to even tape together a scheme. The difference between wanting to do something, trying to do something and not having the personnel to achieve that end is one thing. The problem is I see is Richard Smith doesn't have all three pieces when I'd just like to see him have even ONE.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyhorn View Post
2) Our defense is not improving in spite of the investment of significant draft picks on the D-line. Mario is a beast, but everyone else except for Ryans has underperformed. Not all of that is the current regime's fault, but many of the faults were glaring (secondary help) and went unaddressed by this regime.
What part of the defense is not the fault of the current regime?? Either the talent level is way too low..... which I blame the current regime for, or the coaching is inept...... which I blame the current regime for.

I for one don't think it's a talent problem. We're only starting TJ & CC from the old regime. So if it is a talent problem, there's only one regime to blame. But I think TJ was the better defensive tackle on the field, and I believe CC held his own.

I forgot about Greenwood, but we've sent many a linebacker packing, so if Greenwood was a problem, we've had ample opportunity to get rid of him.

Not to mention the free agent DEs, DTs, CBs, Safeties, etc... that have gone through free agency in the last three years.

I don't want to "Fire Kubiak" but I want him to do something. If that means promoting Ray Rhodes, and demoting Richard Smith, then so be it.

Hey, we might not have the talent on Defense.... I can see where that might be the problem. But if it is, then we need to get rid of the guy who found these players for us, or change how we go about scouting that talent, or re-assess our value of the talent that is out there.

If we don't sign a big name proven defensive player this off season....

I'm going to cry.
Old 09-09-2008   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Not only do the offensive lines and defensive lines need to get tougher...I think some of the fans do too.

This game wasn't a big surprise except for those people who bought all the sunshine and lollypops being dished by some in the media.
I see.

So you knew Willie Parker was going to get us for 138 yards before the midway point of the 3rd Qtr?? That Schaub was going to put up QB numbers we never thought we would see again?? & that Byron Leftwich was going to play the entire 4th quarter because this game was done by halftime??

hmm.... maybe I should read your blogs more often.

Now where's my lollipop??
Old 09-09-2008   #26
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I see.

So you knew Willie Parker was going to get us for 138 yards before the midway point of the 3rd Qtr?? That Schaub was going to put up QB numbers we never thought we would see again?? & that Byron Leftwich was going to play the entire 4th quarter because this game was done by halftime??

TC's been on her soapbox about Richard Smith's lack of a defensive scheme or identity for a couple of years now. And we've sucked as a road team since the beginning. So I'm betting she wasn't surprised. And now that I'm calm enough to look at it objectively, I'm not surprised anymore either.

I'm more surprised that Schaub came out playing like a scrub than I'm surprised that we got beat by a team that's been in the playoffs nearly every year we've been in existence.
Old 09-09-2008   #27
Polo

I'm not even surprised about Schaub.

He still hasn't had one good performance against a tough defense.
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2008   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm not even surprised about Schaub.

He still hasn't had one good performance against a tough defense.
now that you mention it.....
Old 09-09-2008   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny thing happened to me Monday morning when I got up after that humiliating defeat in Pittsburg Sunday. I wasn't as angry as I ususally am after this kind of defeat, and God knows there's been plenty of them over the years for us Texans fans. Kinda disturbed me actually because I thought is this the first signs than can come after anger in these situations ? You know, don't really give a damn. Just plan ole apathy. And that's not good.
Or maybe its just resignation to the fact that I can't will them to succeed in the league, no matter how badly I want them to be winners ? You know, it's just one of those ""casa rah, sa rah" kinda deals, so why sweat it ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #30
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

You have to remember that this team has a first year OC and a guy running the defense that seems lost...

The RB situation is as unsettled as it ever was and their DB's are patchwork at best.

The problem with Sunday's game is they were totally dominated....in every phase of the game. Pittsburgh's coaches were ready with a viable gameplan aimed at success and the Texans just seemed totally unprepared.

I thought that's why they played all those preseason games...
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm more surprised that Schaub came out playing like a scrub than I'm surprised that we got beat by a team that's been in the playoffs nearly every year we've been in existence.
Yeah, I know where TC stands on Smith, and I agree, no one should have expected us to win this game.

But I am totally surprised, by how bad our offense looked, and how bad our Defense looked.

I expected our defense to look bad, but I didn't expect the Steelers to be resting their starters halfway through the 3rd........ like it was a preseason game.

& I didn't expect our offense to look that bad.
Old 09-09-2008   #32
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I know where TC stands on Smith, and I agree, no one should have expected us to win this game.

But I am totally surprised, by how bad our offense looked, and how bad our Defense looked.

I expected our defense to look bad, but I didn't expect the Steelers to be resting their starters halfway through the 3rd........ like it was a preseason game.

Yeah, well they better right the ship pretty quick because more of the same is coming in this Sunday (defensively).
Old 09-09-2008   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

TK this is where I am. I have posted that we could be a better team this season and lose many games. I just did not expect to see this poor play. The score was not as bad as I expected, but the play was much worse. The L does not bother me, just how we got it. Not as sure about this weekend as before when I had a W penciled.
Old 09-09-2008   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see.

From the TC blog right before the game:

Quote:
Maybe we get a better sense for what they are doing after the game on Sunday. After watching the Cowboys preseason game, I'd just settle for plain old stopping the run. Hard to get much of a pass rush when you can't force teams into long yardage situations.

If you want to take an interesting journey in the Texans FanBlog wayback machine, check out what I wrote about the defensive scheme right after Smith was hired. It's interesting to me that the defense still doesn't have much of an identity other than fans hoping that they improve.
That Mario Williams was able to get two sacks when Pittsburgh wasn't throwing the ball much is evidence of:

1. He is the man.
2. The Steelers have some pass blocking issues that could get Big Ben killed.

But yeah, the local media has been talking about the Texans defense as being mediocre. I would LOVE for them to be mediocre. They have been down right awful. Like bottom of the barrel statistically in both pass and run defense. Teams can pick their poison against the team.

The only good defensive shows the Texans have made have been against teams that have their own problems on offense (struggling Cutler, TB with backup QB, Brees with the mess last year), and usually looked better at home.

Even then, the vanilla defense made even Joey Freaking Harrington look good last year. (my goof on that last year). That was a defense that still had Dunta.

Here is my post game that explains some of the factors that pointed toward a stomping last week.

My view is that the best hope for the 2008 Texans is for the offense to get it together and keep the defense off the field.

There is little reason to believe that the Texans defense is going to be any better than their very poor rankings of the last two year.

The best hope is for big improvement for the Texans is for Alex Gibbs' magic fairy dust to take hold and turn the pumpkins we are depending on ini the offense into NFL starters. Clearly, it didn't happen in a loud road venue against a good defense. Hopefully, they can do it next week.

They have to survive September without their entire confidence shot and their few playmakers injured.
Old 09-09-2008   #35
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Kubiak will be judged at the end of the season not after one game. if this team goes 4-12 or worse, then he probably will lose his job. But we can't judge a season after one game as bad as it was.
Very well said. I always want this team to win but lets be realistic. How many teams could have gone into Pittsburgh with the number 1 rated defense last season and not been thrown off course. I don't think Kubiak is on anyones hotseat after one game on the road to open the season. Its only one game and the way the NFL scheduled us the first month...if we are 2-2 at the end of september I will be ok with it. Our fans and some of the silly comments they make is the reason I wear earplugs to the games..lol
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That Mario Williams was able to get two sacks when Pittsburgh wasn't throwing the ball much is evidence of:

1. He is the man.

But yeah, the local media has been talking about the Texans defense as being mediocre. I would LOVE for them to be mediocre. They have been down right awful. Like bottom of the barrel statistically in both pass and run defense. Teams can pick their poison against the team.

The only good defensive shows the Texans have made have been against teams that have their own problems on offense (struggling Cutler, TB with backup QB, Brees with the mess last year), and usually looked better at home.

Even then, the vanilla defense made even Joey Freaking Harrington look good last year. (my goof on that last year). That was a defense that still had Dunta.

Here is my post game that explains some of the factors that pointed toward a stomping last week.

My view is that the best hope for the 2008 Texans is for the offense to get it together and keep the defense off the field.

There is little reason to believe that the Texans defense is going to be any better than their very poor rankings of the last two year.

The best hope is for big improvement for the Texans is for Alex Gibbs' magic fairy dust to take hold and turn the pumpkins we are depending on ini the offense into NFL starters. Clearly, it didn't happen in a loud road venue against a good defense. Hopefully, they can do it next week.

They have to survive September without their entire confidence shot and their few playmakers injured.
Speaking of Gibbs, the Oline to me seem to bepushing straight ahead for the most part. What happened to this ZBS?. You know the one we selected RBs and Oline for?
Old 09-09-2008   #37
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. He is the man.

Frank Bush taking over as D.C. at or before the bye week is our best hope, IMO. At least he'll give the team an identity. With Bush as D.C., we will be an agressive, attacking defense. Wouldn't that be a welcome sight... to give up a big play because we got caught being agressive, instead of giving up a big play because we got caught napping.

After all, if the team wants to win turnover battles, perhaps playing defense on their heels and then playing offense on their heels with the coaching staff yelling at them not to turn it over- perhaps that's not the best way to go about it.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Frank Bush taking over as D.C. at or before the bye week is our best hope, IMO. At least he'll give the team an identity. With Bush as D.C., we will be an agressive, attacking defense. Wouldn't that be a welcome sight... to give up a big play because we got caught being agressive, instead of giving up a big play because we got caught napping.

After all, if the team wants to win turnover battles, perhaps playing defense on their heels and then playing offense on their heels with the coaching staff yelling at them not to turn it over- perhaps that's not the best way to go about it.
Okay. I've heard other people say the same thing so please do not take this like I am just pointing this out just to you.

What makes you think that Frank Bush will do a better job than Richard Smith has? Originally the plan was going to be a Bush-Smith co-coordinator thing, mostly because at the time we were looking for DCs, there weren't that many good candidates available.

So, my question to you is. What in Frank Bush's track record makes you think that he would do any better of a job? Here's his bio

People have mentioned Ray Rhodes too, but health/age wise, I'm not sure that is much of a solution either.

In my opinion, if you have an offensive head coach, you need a defensive guy with a proven track record of success to give the keys to the defense to. The timing isn't very good right now because it is already game on.

McNair is very very reluctant to boot coaches because he admires those organizations that are stable, that aren't the reflexive-Redskins mode. But at some point, it is likely to get very very bad.

And maybe he gets booted anyway if things get bleak enough. But the first order of bidness I'd like to see when the offseason happens is a new defensive coordinator.
Old 09-09-2008   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay. I've heard other people say the same thing so please do not take this like I am just pointing this out just to you.

What makes you think that Frank Bush will do a better job than Richard Smith has? Originally the plan was going to be a Bush-Smith co-coordinator thing, mostly because at the time we were looking for DCs, there weren't that many good candidates available.

So, my question to you is. What in Frank Bush's track record makes you think that he would do any better of a job? Here's his bio

People have mentioned Ray Rhodes too, but health/age wise, I'm not sure that is much of a solution either.

In my opinion, if you have an offensive head coach, you need a defensive guy with a proven track record of success to give the keys to the defense to. The timing isn't very good right now because it is already game on.

McNair is very very reluctant to boot coaches because he admires those organizations that are stable, that aren't the reflexive-Redskins mode. But at some point, it is likely to get very very bad.

And maybe he gets booted anyway if things get bleak enough. But the first order of bidness I'd like to see when the offseason happens is a new defensive coordinator.
not to mention both have Denver ties to Kubiak during the same period.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Speaking of Gibbs, the Oline to me seem to bepushing straight ahead for the most part. What happened to this ZBS?. You know the one we selected RBs and Oline for?
The reason why most teams in the league don't run as much zone as Denver traditionally did under Gibbs is that it is hard to teach and that you have to have some consistency on the line. Yeah, all offensive lines play better with continuity, but his form of ZBS is more that way.

To further complicate it, we have a new center, a guard that is a ?, and a baby left tackle.

And with the limited roster spaces this year, you couldn't work as hard in camp as you have been able to in years past.

And new, mostly inexperienced lines, on the road = pile of goo.

And running back group that as a whole is below average...not so good.

This doesn't mean Alex Gibbs won't eventually defecate diamonds...but maybe not right away. (sorry for the imagery). But usually, when your off season moves mostly depend on your coaching staff coaching up guys, you need to worry a bit.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read