Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2008   #1
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default What move would you make?

If you were a member of the Texan's coaching staff, what one change would you advocate making for next week's game? For the fun of it, lets stick with realistic alternatives - no one on the coaching staff is likely to get fired after one week and, while I think having Payton would improve our team, I don't think Rick Smith is going to pull off that transaction.

I like our coaching staff's commitment to what they are doing - but sometimes, you have to just shake things up.

I would vote for a suggestion that I saw on Zierlein's blog - Take Travis Johnson out of the starting line up and replace him with a bigger body, whether that is Zgonina or Robinson.

Our run defense has been an issue. Niether Amobi or Travis can hold their ground in the trenches. Lets put a bigger body in their to hold the line of attack, and in doing so, allow Amobi to make a push and disrupt. On obvious passing downs, you go back to Amobi and Travis and maybe take out Amobi on short yardage situations.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #2
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What move would you make?

Hire Tanya Harding as Richard Smith's assistant.

Old 09-08-2008   #3
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Activate Frank Okam and let him and TJ clog some holes inside. Throw Amobi at DE at practice and see how quickly he can get off the snap. He's got a good first step, couldn't hurt. I'm sure he would do no less than Weaver.

Cut Ahman.
Old 09-08-2008   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Activate Frank Okam and let him and TJ clog some holes inside. Throw Amobi at DE at practice and see how quickly he can get off the snap. He's got a good first step, couldn't hurt. I'm sure he would do no less than Weaver.

Cut Ahman.
I suggested this following the Dallas game I believe. TJ and Okam in the middle or TJ and one of the other defensive tackles, whoever wants to step up and win a job. Then move Okoye out to the side opposite Mario and see what shakes loose.

Start Wilson over Reeves. Hope Bennett gets his game back on following a bad day in Pittsburgh (NOTE: I did not say Bennett was a bust or is only good enough to be a nickel back or any abstract crap like that).

Start Slaton, back him up with Taylor and Walker and run the ball all day long. The only thing that will help our running game is reps so do it. Start looking for another running back on every practice squad in the league. Start looking through the free agents (like they're doing now I guess) and find that guy who is friggin hungry and wants to play. He's out there.
Old 09-08-2008   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I would cut Ahman. It's been a cute little experiment, but dude can't stay healthy. I would have cut Chris Brown too, same reason.

I would fire or demote Richard Smith. Same scheme, same talent, but if the talent isn't going to improve anytime soon, you have to change up the system to try and get something out of what you have. Perhaps Smith believes this vanilla scheme hides the weaknesses on defense, but that's a big huge mistake, because the defense has seemingly gotten worse and no adjustments or shake ups have been made to get things going in a different direction. I don't think it's too early to pull the trigger on getting rid of Smith...if we have what we had last year, but worse, then you have to do something drastic.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #6
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Activate Okam and give him an all access pass to Golden Corral

Whatever suppliments Mario is on, have him share with the other guys
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #7
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Activate Okam and give him an all access pass to Golden Corral

Whatever suppliments Mario is on, have him share with the other guys
its a protein shake
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2008   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
its a protein shake
I usually think Mario is just a physical freak but his biceps are starting to look Hogan in the 80s like

Hope the man is just naturally gifted
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Play 8 in the box, every play on defense.

Find the best tackler in each of the 11 defense spots and start them.

Put 3 DT next to Mario to try and fill some holes.

Stay out of Nickel and Dime.

Stop trying to rush the passer and maintain containment in the run game.

BECAUSE

Until they stop the run, they will never win.
Old 09-09-2008   #10
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

cut cc brown

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would cut Green and Brown. I would dangle Greenwood and TJ for any draft pick available - conditional of course in our favor - and move forward. Okam activated and starting. I would look to find a bigger WOLB or suck it up and put Adibi in and hope Okam is able to do his part. I would tell my DB's to be more physical within the first 5 and my DT's to shoot the gaps more instead of engaging directly with the OG/C; run blitz essentially.

My transaction? I'd hire a Russian mob boss to send an underling after Richard Smith and I would then send Kubiak to a "How to become a motivational speaker" conference.
Old 09-09-2008   #12
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Richard Smith and hire this guy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI
Old 09-09-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

stretch the field, throw the dang ball on some deep routes let Andre's make a play, give Jacoby a shot @ redemption use speed on the edge. throw in a reverse or end around you gotta move them out of the box. I see other teams do it all the time, heck 40 year old Farve did it twice on a new team. once we spread them out then dunk & dink, pound the ball between the tackles, run the clock & go to the locker 1-1.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #14
Polo

I would try to get my best 11 on the field on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 09-09-2008   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

start Wilson in place of Brown.
at the minimum, activate Okam for this game.
get Slaton involved on plays on the outside more.
ask the cheerleaders to go topless.
get Daniels the ball more.
trade for Lito Shepard.
see what the Pats would give us for Sage.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #16
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd put Schaub on notice, if you don't play well, expect to be watching from the bench.
Old 09-09-2008   #17
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
It would FINALLY make our fans get there before kickoff and stay until the end. Love the idea.
Old 09-09-2008   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
start Wilson in place of Brown.
at the minimum, activate Okam for this game.
get Slaton involved on plays on the outside more.
get Daniels the ball more.
trade for Lito Shepard.
see what the Pats would give us for Sage.

:

Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #19
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I suggested this following the Dallas game I believe. TJ and Okam in the middle or TJ and one of the other defensive tackles, whoever wants to step up and win a job. Then move Okoye out to the side opposite Mario and see what shakes loose.

Start Wilson over Reeves. Hope Bennett gets his game back on following a bad day in Pittsburgh (NOTE: I did not say Bennett was a bust or is only good enough to be a nickel back or any abstract crap like that).
Just to clear things up, Hervoyel never said that Bennett was a bust and didn't say anything close to it. I posted that Bennett might drift off into "just another player" instead of stepping up into the next level like we all think he is, in this season. Hervoyel just responded to my post and said that it was "possible". And of course, anything is possible. I'm pretty sure he wasn't jumping to any conclusion like that after one bad game though, he isn't that sort of poster.

My post was stupid, and I shouldn't jumped the gun. It was a knee-jerk reaction post. Really, I still have faith in Bennett and think he'll have much more good games then games he had last sunday. He did too many good things last year to write off after just one game. I sometimes forget things in the heat of the moment, especially after the player was made into the opponent's *****. But then again, besides Mario, who didn't play like a ***** that day?

Anyways, back to the topic. I made a similar thread late sunday night, but I'll post again what I think we can do to improve.

What I think we should do is:

For Defense:
  • First off, bump CC Brown out from a starting safety job. I would either have the combo of Harrison/Demps or Demps/Barber. I think both those combos would do better then what we have starting right now. And also, isn't Harrison suppose to be our best cover safety? We sure could use one right about now, not to mention he's the fastest and heavist(at 230) safety we have.
  • I would make Wilson our starting #2 CB. But if he has not accumulated up to the Texans speed of scheme and playbook(which is understandable since he just acquired by us), then I would put Molden out there at #2. No way can he perform worst then Reeves has for us thus far.
  • Aidbi needs to come back in a hurry. Can Bently play WLB? Thompson, maybe? All I know is i'm getting sick of seeing Greenwood out there getting burned, plays after plays.
  • Put a big body out there at left DT(Okam, Zgnonia, Robinson), and move Johnson inside. This would defintely help our run D. Try Amobi out at LDE, what could it hurt? Of course do this in practice before attempting it in game.

For Offense:
  • Block better.

Most impotantly:
  • Take everyone on the team and organization to church and pray your asses off. Go to confession. Get baptize. Whatever. We need some divine intervetion.

From the little Giants: Giants! Giants! Help us God!

Last edited by J-Russ; 09-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #20
Nighthawk
All Pro

This is an interesting question. ONE move.

Running back? No. Can't get one in here and operational fast enough to do us any good next week or for the next couple weeks. Cutting Ahman wastes the move because you can sit Ahman and have same effect.

Defense? No. More than anything defense is a team sport. No single move there is going to make a huge difference, short of YKW being magically healthy.

My move: start Sage. This (a) lights fire under Schaub, so if he has it in him (I don't think so) it'll push him to amp up his game, and (b) tell everybody on the team that nobody is safe and performance is everything, and (c) put the ball in Sage's hands next week, so Sage's attitude (which is "I can do this," whatever "this" is, and whether or not he can do it) goes through the whole team, (d) prevents the team from being manhandled as it was at Pitt, since Sage has shown he can take a hit and play rough.

Is Sage as good a "pure" QB as Schaub? Dunno. Don't care. It's not about being a great "pure" QB. It's about being a scrapper. I give you Favre. Sage is in that mold, maybe not nearly as good, and not nearly as lucky. But them's his bloodlines.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read